What should be my next team to gear up?

Hi guys

A wise person once told me to keep working on my arena team until I were #1 in arena.

Well... Now my entire arena team (zzEP, zThrawn, zSion, Nihilius and Vader) is all 7* and G12, so now it feels like it's time to gear something new up.

The question is what team I should go with?

My own considerations are:
FO - I have KRU, Kylo, Phasma, FOO and FOST at 7*
Jedi - I have GK 6* and GMY, Ezra, old ben, luminaria at 7*
Rebels - CLS, R2, RHAN + most of the usual rebels at 7* (missing Chaze Tho...)

What do you guys think I should go with?

Replies

• It really depends... nyt here's a few considerations:

If you don’t have JTR + resistance geared they are a priority - they work great across all game modes

If you don’t have Nightsisters geared the same goes for them

To keep it simple those two teams should be your priority imo
  • I agree Night sisters are OP but a resistance team is a must for sith raid...

Also BH or the solo movie toons we a good shout
  • Resistance absolutely. NS are very strong but you won't need them for events. Zfinn team is one of the strongest for HAAT raid phase 2/4 and also very useful. Then with resistance toons you can unlock jtr, who is very very very strong. Go for it!
    Do or don't there is no try
  • You guys are recommending that I start grinding for new teams with characters I don't currently have.

You guys don't think the teams I have listed above are worth investing gear in?
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Don’t start a zFinn team. Resistance is worthwhile but RJT lead is the one that matters now.
  • Obtaining legendary characters is critical to being good at the game. Complete factions are outstanding, but you'll do better for your guild if you make sure you're going after each legendary as they come out. Aside from that, since you're doing well in arena, i'd work on squads that will help you out in getting your guild to Heroic Sith, as well as perform in TW. As others have said, JTR lead resistance and Night Sisters are the highest scoring teams for the Raid and do exceptional in TW.
  • Alright guys, thank you very much for all your valuable input!

I've decided to:
    • Continue spending all my cantina energy on farming the vets for the RJT event (currently 3/100 on vHan).
    • 100 "normal" energy a day will be spent on 5 7-A hard battles to hopefully land some Finn shards
    • The rest of my daily energy will go towards filling various holes in my roster (currently Imperial Troopers) and gearing
    And of course there'll be a lot of looking in the various stores - FOTP and colonel Starck are on my radar :)
  • Fakir
    64 posts Member
    If you decide to build a jedi team, you should gear up GK and GMY as well. If your goal with a jedi team would be arena/TW, then you should include Bastilla on the team. Jedi teams do well in both arena (they might take you all the way to the top ranks) and STR - even on heroic. Gearing your jedi won't interfere with farming for JTR since mediocre gear will do for the event.

If building teams for heroic STR (long term) you should aim for:

JTR and/or jedi for phase 1 and/or 2.
    Chexmix, Greedo Mix or NS for phase 3 (NS with Initiate as 5th).
    NS for phase 4 (Talia as 5th).

You can build some of those while still farming for JTR.
  • Don't stop with your arena team until they are 100% including all zetas and g12.5 pieces (not g12+)

This is largely unhelpful advice imo. Why would he want to zeta Vader or nihilus lead, for example. And how do you expect someone who only has one geared team to be getting G12.5 gear?

OP: this is, at its core, a game about resource management (I know that doesn't sound sexy). You want to be able to grow faster than the others in your shard. The reason you were advised to focus on arena is because it's the main source of crystals in the game. Crystals are the key bottleneck. If your arena team is getting you a good return then stop focusing on it, if not then continue. If you're not able to take at least top 10 with them all at g12 then you need to work on modding them better.

The next source of crystals is fleet arena, so by the same logic that should be your second priority.

If you're achieving in both of those areas then look at your bottlenecks - usually it's guild currency/Raid gear/guild event currency which you need to gear your toons and to farm others. My advice then is to focus on getting teams which will place you highly in raids, helping you gear faster. Every raid uses CLS at some point; JTR is almost a must for heroic sith and also does well in tank. You can't go wrong with getting the toons for those two together. You already have thrawn and palp so that leaves GMY as the last legendary; you'll have ezra/kanan/old Ben farmed anyway for thrawn/CLS which just leaves two more jedi to get to 7*.

Once you have the legendaries you'll be smashing Pit and HAAT and the world's your oyster. At that point you can choose whether to focus on the sith raid to pull in some heavy gear and shards for the best character in the game, or TB to help you and your guild get Wampa and Hoda faster.

That's roughly the way I've planned my game - my nihilus is only g11 but I've stopped working on my arena team because I still take 1 so any extra investment into them is wasted at present.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Work towards JTR. End of story.

And value and work on Fleet Arena as much as standard Arena. Both vital for resources.
  • Good advice as a post reader. Thanks.. resistance it is.. I'm just gonna have to be fine with near rank 100 in arena
  • Don't stop with your arena team until they are 100% including all zetas and g12.5 pieces (not g12+)

This is largely unhelpful advice imo. Why would he want to zeta Vader or nihilus lead, for example. And how do you expect someone who only has one geared team to be getting G12.5 gear?

Exactly... and I realised that I need to do well in STR for all the remaining pieces of my G12.5 = not arena
    If you're not able to take at least top 10 with them all at g12 then you need to work on modding them better.
    This was actually my main reason for starting this thread... I am thinking that since most players are using (roughtly) the same 5 toons to try to get to #1, that I might be better off doing something else?

My reasoning is somewhat like rock-paper-scissors, where in my shard, most players appear to have rock (EP lead sith team) - should I be focusing on getting a bigger rock or working on getting paper (Bastilla lead Jedi team/NS/RES)
    You already have thrawn and palp so that leaves GMY as the last legendary; you'll have ezra/kanan/old Ben farmed anyway for thrawn/CLS which just leaves two more jedi to get to 7*.

I have 7* GMY if that changes any of your recommendations? ;)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    hardvig wrote: »
    My reasoning is somewhat like rock-paper-scissors, where in my shard, most players appear to have rock (EP lead sith team) - should I be focusing on getting a bigger rock or working on getting paper (Bastilla lead Jedi team/NS/RES)

This is good reasoning. However, until you have the final heroic character, you shouldn't deviate too much from your path to acquire her. Missing a JTR event, when you could have acquired her will postpone it for 2-3 months.

Now that your arena team is all g12, i notcied, that you have improved your rank from 200ish to low 100s. Often the bottleneck to continue climbing will be mods. The player with the better mods will most likely win in a mirror match. You have a bit to go still mod-wise. In too many slots you still have 1-figure speeds.

I would suggest to move the cross from KRU to Sion. Furthermore level up the diamond mod on Maul. It may yield more speed and you current diamonds have quite low speed. Your Vader's speed can also be improved on several slots. Your FOST and KRU have fast triangles. Those should be used on your arena team.

Just a few suggestions.

• To answer your original question; both Jedi and first order are great teams. You will need Bastila and Executioner for them to succeed though. I use Kru, fost, Kylo, foo, and executioner. Phasma has fallen out of favor, as has OG FO tie pilot.
  • hardvig wrote: »
    This was actually my main reason for starting this thread... I am thinking that since most players are using (roughtly) the same 5 toons to try to get to #1, that I might be better off doing something else?

Farming a bastila team would help you in that regard. However, it's a lot of investment and in the meantime you could be farming sith raid toons (unless you're happy to whale bastila to 7*, in which case she'll do well in sith too). You'll probably do better by improving the mods on your current team while farming for sith.
    hardvig wrote: »
    I have 7* GMY if that changes any of your recommendations? ;)

Then you're pretty much in the same situation as me! I'd say use mod energy to improve your arena team, use everything else to prep for JTR.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Nema
    136 posts Member
    Droids to be future meta ready