Introducing Pack Probabilities [MEGA]

Replies

• I am wondering how you were able to get away with not providing this information already. Since buying packs constitutes a form of gambling and you are legally required to disclose the odds (at least here, in the EU), I just assumed you already did, somewhere (not being a pay-to-play user, I never looked too hard in the packs area). CG_Carrie, can you explain? Is there some sort of grace period? How come these data were not public before?
  • I'm scared!!! So many SOON's!! It means today!!! :o:o
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    nickshanks wrote: »
    I am wondering how you were able to get away with not providing this information already. Since buying packs constitutes a form of gambling and you are legally required to disclose the odds (at least here, in the EU), I just assumed you already did, somewhere (not being a pay-to-play user, I never looked too hard in the packs area). CG_Carrie, can you explain? Is there some sort of grace period? How come these data were not public before?

In US they worked around by using crystal purchases not counting same as paying cash.
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    I am wondering how you were able to get away with not providing this information already. Since buying packs constitutes a form of gambling and you are legally required to disclose the odds (at least here, in the EU), I just assumed you already did, somewhere (not being a pay-to-play user, I never looked too hard in the packs area). CG_Carrie, can you explain? Is there some sort of grace period? How come these data were not public before?

In US they worked around by using crystal purchases not counting same as paying cash.

Not entirely true. Every other Gacha game was forced to be transparent with the drop rates when Apple enacted a new policy month's ago. It's odd that this game is just now posting those rates...Also a lot other countries are clamping down on mobile gacha (mystery box) style games because of the gambling aspect. This game which only has a global version is ultimately subject to all those legal changes.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    JerryHello wrote: »
    3pourr2 wrote: »

Not entirely true. Every other Gacha game was forced to be transparent with the drop rates when Apple enacted a new policy month's ago. It's odd that this game is just now posting those rates...Also a lot other countries are clamping down on mobile gacha (mystery box) style games because of the gambling aspect. This game which only has a global version is ultimately subject to all those legal changes.

Just cause a company makes a rule doesn't mean another company has to follow it. EA called Apples bluff for a few months before they changed their mind. Apple cant make EA do anything, the only thing Apple could do is drop SWGOH from their store.

As far as laws go, do you always drive the exact speed limit?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

You should go look at that again. Apple made a valed gesture and that is all. They specifically worded it so companies would have huge loopholes and could walk right through. This and many other games are in no way violating the changes that Apple made by keeping it business as usual from before Apple made that change.
  • Haha number 4 yeah gotta cover your tracks about dodgy business practice in the past now that it's public
  • TyloRen wrote: »
    DEV POST
    CG_Carrie wrote: »
    Hello all,

In Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, one of our key objectives has been for players to fulfill their ultimate Star Wars fantasy by collecting characters from different Star Wars eras to master the galaxy. However, we know players like to play the game in different ways. Some are more focused on competition, some more on the collection components. Some guilds require certain rosters and squads to master the different raids, while others are seeking new yet-undiscovered mechanics by different squad makeups. All of these strategies work, and for players to have the best experience, it’s important to know what you need and how you might obtain it.

This will now be much easier to figure out with the pack probabilities information combined with the Character Release Cadence, and a number of community tools. Pack probabilities can help aid you in making decisions about what to go for and when.

Probability Overview
    We’ve been working to put together information on pack probabilities across all the different packs in the store and describe it as clearly as possible. Along with sharing the specifics of our pack probabilities (and some things we’ve updated along the way), we would like to provide additional understanding around how our packs work overall.

If you’d like to skip straight to the disclosure page, it’s available here and will be direct linked from the details page of every crystal pack in the store after our TU13 client update.

If you’d like some more specific information about additional changes we have made, please read on.

upta3fqhzy5s.png

Pack Probabilities Overview
    1. There are many different packs and pack types in Galaxy of Heroes, many of which have different probabilities. However, there are no “dynamic odds”. We don’t change pack probabilities or outcomes based on any player behavior or criteria.
    2. You will get something of value in every pack. However, as many of you are aware, some of our packs have low probabilities for larger amount of character shards/ship blueprints. For example, a single character marquee pack will most likely net between 5 and 7 shards (more often 7). However, there are opportunities to receive significantly higher shard counts in packs as well.
    3. The pack probabilities are not a guarantee of outcome. Every time you open a pack is an independent event. Getting a high shard count in one pack does not mean you will definitely get a low count on the next pack. The probabilities reset with every pack.
    4. We’ve taken this opportunity to improve the way a few of our packs work. As the game has evolved, we’ve found that some of the previous designs needed an overhaul. As an example, we’re doing away with the “new” and “old” character/ship distinctions, because that’s become a bit outdated and becomes excessively complicated with the more items we have in the game. The probability of getting any one character/ship within a pack will be equal across all characters/ships in a pack (unless otherwise noted). This will mainly be noticeable in Fleet Packs.
    5. Any future changes to the pack probabilities will be updated on the website, and we will make sure to draw your attention to those changes via patch notes.
    We’re hoping these additional changes will provide information that improves your game experience. As always, we evaluate the probabilities alongside other game mechanics and will communicate any additional updates we make in the future.
    And as always, we’ll see you on the Holotables,
    -Carrie

DEV POST

Ok so some good stuff here, how does it feel to be “transparent” now? Must be difficult. I’m sure this decision was not internal but brought on by external “influence”. Why not reword the chance of pulling 330 shards out of a toon pack, you say there is a chance to get 330 but there really isn’t. A 0.01% is virtually the closest to a 0% chance. Honesty is always the best policy.
  • CG_Carrie wrote: »
    Caiaphas wrote: »
    Thank you for releasing that.

I had thought that newer toons had a slightly higher chance to appear in Chromium Mega Packs than the toons that have been around since the start... I was actually thinking about using Chromium Mega Packs as a means to farm the newer Solo movie scoundrels and KOTOR toons ... but if the chances of all toons are the same, then, well, that's out the window.

I have to say, the 2* character unlocks via Marquees have really made Chromiums a very unattractive gamble. Whereas older toons could net you, say, 80 shards if you pulled a full toon card (Barriss, for example), every marquee toon will net only 25 shards if you pull a full toon card. Makes the gamble far less attractive than it used to be.

Chromium is the major driver of the point #4 above about new vs. old. We did used to have two buckets to guarantee one "new" toon and one "old" toon. However it got complicated quickly, how long would a character be new, etc. etc.

But you're dead on, chromium has a lot more value if you're not sitting on most of the characters already.

@CG_Carrie - Why don't you guys just adopt a Banner system the first week a new character is released similar to those used by so many other Gacha style games? These systems give players a slightly increased chance at pulling a new character or it's shards over other older characters in the pool when purchasing mystery boxes (i.e. Data Cards/Packs for this game). If anything it would make purchasing Chromium packs a lot more enticing to spend money or crystals on for both new players looking to expand their small rosters and older players who normally don't buy these packs anymore. And given the way this game is setup, there would be a variety of ways in which to make a substantial profit off this system. For example; through these packs only, players could have a chance to unlock the character at a higher star level than normal even if it's just a 2% increased chance to actually get it. People would spend a lot of money on that and they do spend a lot of money on these types of packs in other games. Also, why not incorporate a ticket system as well in which players can occasionally earn tickets or vouchers that can be turned in once to open a single data card? The tickets could be earned through special events, promos, accomplishments, quests, or even be available occasionally in bundles in the store (something that would make bundles more appealing to purchase).

I just feel as though this is a good system that helps players across the games player base expand their rosters, get shards for the shard shop and have the chance at new characters sooner, while at the same time being a lucrative business model. It's been proven to be profitable as these systems are incredibly popular in other successful Gacha games that have much smaller player bases and smaller and less popular Franchise names & followings.

For example: Let's say Jango Fett is the next Marquee character. For the first week he is released you could offer something similar to the following:(My examples are clearly very generous compared to what would actually make sense to be implemented btw)

*Jango Fett Focus Data Card
    - cost 550 crystals per Card
    - Data Card has an increased chance (let's say +2% to whatever the normal % chance to contain a specific character out of the entire character and shard pool is; so if normally it's a 1.5% chance to pull a character out of the pool than it will be a 3.5% chance that that character will be a Jango Fett) to contain a 5 star base Jango Fett character and an increased chance (+15%) to contain Jango Fett shards (lets say 60% for 3 shards / 20% for 5 shards / 10% for 7 shards/ 7.5% for 10 shards / 2.5% for 25 shards)
    - In addition each Card automatically comes with 2 Jango Fett shards upon purchase
    - Limit 3x purchases per day

*Jango Fett Focus Data Pack (3x Cards + 1 Bonus Focus Card)
    Cards 1 - 3 have normal odds for all shards & characters and the bonus card has a focus or increased chance of containing Jango Fett or his shards.
    - cost 1850 crystals per Pack
    - Bonus Focus Data Card has an increased chance (+3%) of containing a Jango Fett character. With a 90% chance that this Jango Fett will be a 5 star base character, 8% chance it will be 6 star base, and 2% it will be a 7 star Jango Fett character.
    - Bonus Focus Data Card has an increased chance (+15%) of containing Jango Fett shards with a 60% chance it will be 7 shards, 20% chance 10 shards, 10% chance 15 shards, 5% chance 25 shards, 3.5% 35 shards, and 1.5% 50 shards.
    - In addition each Pack automatically comes with 5 Jango Fett Shards upon purchase.

Jango Fett Release Bundle: (Limit 1 Purchase)
    - Cost $14.99
    - Includes:
    - 3x Chromium Data Card Vouchers (each can be exchanged once to open a single chromium data card in the store)
    - 500 Crystals
    - 5 Jango Fett Shards

A cheaper bundle that includes crystals and free data card vouchers will appeal to players who either generally don't spend money or rarely spend money on the game as a reasonable way to possibly get a new character at a high star level quickly. Bundles that don't offer means for a potential high reward are generally going to be ignored by low to moderate spenders and are no at all enticing to the f2p players that could potentially be persuaded to spend money. The same applies to lower cost focused data cards, as most of your non whale spenders are going to see the traditional 5-330 shard character packs as far too risky with little to no actual reward for the price. But at least with a focused card or pack there is the potential to also get shards for other characters they have been farming in addition to the potential of getting the new character (at a higher star level) or it's shards in considerable amounts as opposed to just 5-7 shards (on average from the 5-330 packs) of a new character that will now just sit on their bench for several months.
  • JerryHello
    206 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Kyno wrote: »

You should go look at that again. Apple made a valed gesture and that is all. They specifically worded it so companies would have huge loopholes and could walk right through. This and many other games are in no way violating the changes that Apple made by keeping it business as usual from before Apple made that change.

It wasn't a veiled gesture...In March Apple prevented multiple games that failed to comply by the deadline or didnt comply enough from applying their updates in the IOS store. It also resulted in other games postponing their own updates until they were in compliance. Nintendo's - Fire Emblem Heroes, Square Enix's - Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and Blizzard's -Hearthstone were all affected among others.

I'm sure there were plenty of loopholes that were exploited. I was just pointing out that it was odd that this game managed to avoid it.
  • Those rates are cringe worthy!!
  • JerryHello wrote: »

It wasn't a veiled gesture...In March Apple prevented multiple games that failed to comply by the deadline or didnt comply enough from applying their updates in the IOS store. It also resulted in other games postponing their own updates until they were in compliance. Nintendo's - Fire Emblem Heroes, Square Enix's - Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and Blizzard's -Hearthstone were all affected among others.

I'm sure there were plenty of loopholes that were exploited. I was just pointing out that it was odd that this game managed to avoid it.

Correct me if Im Wrong here. But the difference with what you mention and here is the chance for zero , swgoh always provides an item, just cuz it’s not what you wanted quantity wise, does not make it the same as other outfits that has zero as an option on the roll

Correct me if Im Wrong here. But the difference with what you mention and here is the chance for zero , swgoh always provides an item, just cuz it’s not what you wanted quantity wise, does not make it the same as other outfits that has zero as an option on the roll

Those games don't have zero options. You always get something. You always get a character when you summon in fire emblem or final fantasy and you always get cards in hearthstone. What you get may not be what you want, but you do get something from the roll.

Those games don't have zero options. You always get something. You always get a character when you summon in fire emblem or final fantasy and you always get cards in hearthstone. What you get may not be what you want, but you do get something from the roll.

Oh ok, didn’t know that, thought that might have been the difference
  • MasterSeedy
    4964 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Okay, FIRST, let me say that having these odds available so that we can make informed decisions about what we're purchasing is a VERY VERY GOOD THING™. Whatever decisions you make may or may not be attractive to players (and good for the game) but they are "fair" since they apply to all players equally.

The caveat is that assumes honestly representing your decisions. I've said on these forums that I dislike listing 10 or 15 or more outcomes as "possible" drops when the average or modal drop is drastically less than what it might appear from such a listing. I expect weighting, but since we don't know how much weighting, having 1 possibility be 35%+ of the drops would seem against the spirit if listing that particular possibility equally with 14 or more other possibilities.

Providing the link to accurate information is the cure for this. I would praise you anyway, but I feel a particular duty to praise y'all for making this change since I've criticized the opposite policy in the past.

But SECOND

Let me say that having you, @CG_Carrie, active in this thread having actual back-and-forth conversations is both important and good to see. Although this is far from the first time it's happened, I'd really like to see you or other folks from CG/EA more active on the forums.

But this doesn't mean that I'm insisting you release premature information subject to change or information that you just don't think you want to release yet. This response:
    3. If you ask me one more time, that tach gland won't be the only freshly-harvested organ around here.

is absolutely perfect. This shows some actual knowledge of and appreciation for Star Wars-gaming flavored humor. We get it that sometimes the answer to a request, even a request for information, is, "No." But it's still important to see that CG/EA is actually reading the requests and delivering an answer.

So praise all around, but especially for CG_Carrie. Make sure that they give you a raise, CG_Carrie, and if you're in the US, make darn sure they're giving you health insurance that covers unanticipated organ harvesting. That US health insurance can be bantha poodoo.
  • Woie
    20 posts Member
    Well done for doing something you have been forced do by law in many places and dressing it up like you are doing a good thing for us
  • Sapient2k7
    191 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Woie wrote: »
    Well done for doing something you have been forced do by law in many places and dressing it up like you are doing a good thing for us

Another thing is , this is just “barely” following it. Just how hard is it to display the percentage drop rate right next to the item???

You want us to click and scroll to appropriate section every time we want to make a purchase. That shows just how sincere these efforts are in helping the consumers make the right decision.

I don’t mind honest conversation, just say this is the new policy ; we didn’t want to do it but our hand was forced because we know if people made informed decisions we will lose money.

I would respect you a lot if you said the truth and not tried to be a politician.
  • Chromium packs needs an overall. They are bloated with heroes. It would be nice to retire a bunch of the legacy heroes from chromium and slot more into bronze packs. Make both pack more enticing.
  • Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    TU is short for “title update.” There’s usually an icon picture change along with it as it usually a large scale update that impacts the game engine

Edit: Thankies for the datas
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Why does the first page have people thanking them for this? lol. I've seen games have to do this as a mandatory thing if they are in Japan, seeing rates has become a normal thing to see in Gacha games, its not a "Step in the right direction" its them finally doing it. Honestly I never expected them to do it really unless they were forced to cause of country laws like those other games were forced too :D.

And we already knew the rates were terrible.

Edit: reading above, it would be interesting if this game also did banner type events, actually put some meaning into people buying chrome packs during character releases. I know in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius the weekly banners can be quite exciting if it has a hero you've been wanting and saved up for, spam those summons till you either get it or have nothing left, but at least the chances are way higher to get what you been saving in preparation for.
  • Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    @JerryHello, I remember around the time Rex came out, you could farm up a new character by buying chromium cards. I think they lost money on it and they revamped their approach. Theoretically, you could have saved crystals for the character.
  • When is the new mod battles
    Get good and get a Revan. Ryanwhales
  • Probably a company wide mandate stemming from battlefront 2 fiasco and increasing legal pressure. Madden started displaying pack odds this year as well although that community kinda knew the pack odds for years now as they mostly stayed the same.
    Still a good thing nonetheless.
  • When they start telling us farming droprates and telling us when they make changes to them, or equalize odds on raid rewards for all available gear instead of creating choke points, then I will start using the word transparent.
  • Wow... EA making a rash decision to display odds and make less money. Maybe now people will wise up and not waste money on 7 shards. Just wait for them to hit the store if you’re going to spend money. To be perfectly honest, this data should have been available since day 1, the odds are absolutely pathetic.
  • Many of us demanded to know what we were buying with real cash, and many didn't care to know. Now that EA has been forced into revealing what they really are selling, the percentages are shocking: A decent 69% for 7 shards, but then a dramatically huge drop to 5% for 10 shards, leading to a 0.10% chance of the highest possible number of shards. The numbers have been crunched, and the estimate is that one of these characters would cost an average $300 to acquire. There are over 150 characters in the game... Other games cost up to $100 including add-ons, for a full game, but this game? Thousands, to get all the characters up to top level stars, then how much more for mods? Can this cost be justified? Is a mobile game worthy of so much financial cost?

Personally I find it shameful to know how little you get for so much financial cost. Shocking.
  • AleSahnDroh_1979
    950 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Did you see the probabilities revealed? :-O

What we always knew is now under the light of the sun....... 1299 crystals for 7 shards!
    The other outocomes have a so ridiculous probability that they are comparable to a casino gambling.....
    At least everyone should know this...
  • UdalCuain
    4991 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    It has been well documented a 7* character costs around $300 using the 5-330 packs, this isn't news and no maths was needed.

Also, no one is forcing you to buy them.
  • How sweet:) Zero concern for what is value, very nice. So if your local supermarket increased their prices 500% you would defend them offering, "No-one is forcing you to buy their goods". It's all relevant to cost/value/service, and there are laws to protect the consumer from extortionate prices for little service/low value.