6 dot mods can only be equipped by g12

Prev134
Ultra
11502 posts Moderator
I've been hearing that 6 dot mods can only be equipped by toons that are g12 and someone on my guild confirmed this.

I'm surprised CG never mentioned this wall at all so far. Or they did and I missed it. New Marquee toons cannot use your best mods anymore and all your pilots cannot use 6 dot mods (once you accumulate plenty of them) until they are g12.

I was all in favor of g12 requiring 7 stars because the character stars didn't matter other than usage in raids and a lot of the community supported it too (and some opposed it) but not sure how I feel about this gated wall. I don't like it at all. Mods shouldn't be gated. You don't have to choose to NOT mod your best 5 dot mods just so you can have non-g12 toons equip it. Meaning new legendary toons cannot use your best mods until you whale them to 7 stars.

Purpose of this thread was to see the thoughts of the community. Anyone likes this gate or what?

Replies

• Options
    Nope. Luckily the mk5->6 jump is currently still kinda negligible. It's at most 7 speed. Some of the other stats grow more, but as more and more stuff gets gated behind 7*, f2p loses out. And that is a bit of a worrying trend to keep continuing.
  • Options
    personally i dont mind it, and i think its good that only top stared and geared toon get the better items.
  • Options
    A surprise, but not surprising. G12 indicated CG wanting to force people to * up their characters - too many Marquees have been good enough at 3-4*, DN, Sion, Bastila etc.

I get the "but my sub 7*s can't use the mods" problem, though that won't really kick in for a while as there are so many mods you won't be able to upgrade them all. Marquee characters in a year's time though....

Pilot wise, if your pilots aren't G12, then mods arent going to be the most important thing to upgrade to get your ships fast.
  • Options
    A bit off topic, but what exactly happens to a mod at the very moment it turns mk6? (not counting the slicing leading up to it?). Does the primary increase more? Anything else?
  • Options
    Primary increases and all secondaries increase
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    A bit off topic, but what exactly happens to a mod at the very moment it turns mk6? (not counting the slicing leading up to it?). Does the primary increase more? Anything else?

r40597p2u60y.png

Health, Offense, CD and Defense primary boosts are significant. Speed arrows goes from 30 to 32 which can be battle defining for some players / team setups
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    9g00uzz96vd6.jpg

It was in there, just like the other shoe.
  • Options
    I can see situations where it could be an annoyance. I'll get Scav Rey and Resistance Trooper to G12 eventually, but since we're still only running T4 Sith it's not a high gear priority and G11 is fine for now. Once I get arena mods sliced, I won't be able to move those mods onto my Sith raid toons sitting at G11. Also, legendaries: once my arena team is fully sliced, I won't be able to move arena mods onto G8 toons to do a legendary event. I'll need a second pretty-good set that doesn't get sliced for things like that (which I should have anyway so I don't have to leave my arena team vulnerable).

Neither of those things are big deals, really... I'm not a big mod mover, and it will take me forever to get a full squad sliced, so it's not a massive inconvenience. But I don't love the idea that you have to choose between making god mods godlier or letting your best mods still be accessible to all your toons. It seems kind of wrong that you make a big investment, and then how you use that investment is limited significantly compared to how it was before you invested... If that makes sense... Meh.
  • Options
    They already told us this pre update....

The question I have is, what happens if you move that loadout to a non g12 toon?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    BubbaFett wrote: »

The question I have is, what happens if you move that loadout to a non g12 toon?

It will just lock you out, like the gear is locked.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Are you sure?.... That kind of stinks for those that want to move arena mods for an event...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Are you sure?.... That kind of stinks for those that want to move arena mods for an event...

6 dot mods cant be put on a toon that is not g12. It's as simple as that.

I haven't done it yet as I dotn have any 6 dot mods, but I imagine it will look like the team builder view when you try to pull a team that is has locked out toons. They will be red or some other indicator (hopefully) and if you say yes do it anyway, the blocked out thing will just not be moved. But that's just speculation based on other in game mechanics.
  • Options

I haven't done it yet as I dotn have any 6 dot mods, but I imagine it will look like the team builder view when you try to pull a team that is has locked out toons. They will be red or some other indicator (hopefully) and if you say yes do it anyway, the blocked out thing will just not be moved. But that's just speculation based on other in game mechanics.

Ok.... Was kind of hoping they would default back to 5 dot....
  • Options

And have to slice it again?
  • Options
    9g00uzz96vd6.jpg

Kind of a lawyery response. (Oh it's in there! Only one sentence in 10 paragraphs worth of information, but hey, we told you, it's in there! So hah!)

I was just as surprised to hear this today myself, but I heard it from my alliance who was having a conference call.
  • Options
    As a veteran f2p player, I support their decision, and recalled seeing the notice ahead of time.
    Any toon I would want to put a 6* mod on I either already have at g12 or am actively working towards it. In the meantime I can spend my mod energy on lower splicing materials to get more mods to 5a, or just farm up the 6e materials and hang on to them for later like prefarming zetas. Moreover, moving a 6e mod to a weaker toon undermines the spirit of the game by bypassing incentives to collect and gear up such toons. I'd rather be able to say I have abc and xyz toons both maxed out than to say I have a single set of mods I can just slap on anyone to empower them. I mean, a f2p player is always in it for the long haul, so if you're upset about not being able to instantly win, then you're not really meant for f2p.
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    9g00uzz96vd6.jpg

Kind of a lawyery response. (Oh it's in there! Only one sentence in 10 paragraphs worth of information, but hey, we told you, it's in there! So hah!)

I was just as surprised to hear this today myself, but I heard it from my alliance who was having a conference call.

I'm not sure what more you want from them? This is the standard place to look for update details and nothing about these changes or the communication thereof has been unusual. They can't include every detail in a pop-up or in-game tutorial
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    CG this greed is unnecessary, forcing people to whale out just so they can use a mod!
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Franimus wrote: »
    As a veteran f2p player, I support their decision, and recalled seeing the notice ahead of time.
    Any toon I would want to put a 6* mod on I either already have at g12 or am actively working towards it. In the meantime I can spend my mod energy on lower splicing materials to get more mods to 5a, or just farm up the 6e materials and hang on to them for later like prefarming zetas. Moreover, moving a 6e mod to a weaker toon undermines the spirit of the game by bypassing incentives to collect and gear up such toons. I'd rather be able to say I have abc and xyz toons both maxed out than to say I have a single set of mods I can just slap on anyone to empower them. I mean, a f2p player is always in it for the long haul, so if you're upset about not being able to instantly win, then you're not really meant for f2p.

I dunno. I might just not upgrade my arena mods. Sure, the bonuses are worth it, but if it means I can't use the mods on a future Traya, and would have to mod her with subpar, non-arena quality mods, that's going to be a problem.
  • Options

I've seen you comment in a lot of posts and you always make me laugh. GJ, appreciate it.
  • theHappyDance
    9 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Bonuses for tier 6 are crap, and basically just a way to force players to tier and gear up any characters they want to use their best mods with.

I stupidly upped my one god mod last night, and now I can't use it with any of my current arena toons.

Sent a message to SB Crumb asking for a refund of the crystals I spent, a rollback on the mod, and mat / mod energy I used to upgrade it to 6*

This is unacceptable to me, and if it doesn't get rectified, I'm deleting my account. That's not a joke. This is nasty, greedy, and flat uncool.

Especially that they don't warn you about it.

Very, very, very uncool. If they don't fix this for me, I'll stop spending money on any game with CG or EA's name attached to it, EVER. AGAIN.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

The concern is for the future. At a later time when more mods are 6 dot, and we get a new raid toon, or legendary(unless you get all the way up to 7* first time around), these mods are now "useless".

Funny you bring up the spirit of the game, which was described as wanting to incentivize investment into development. But if you develop your mods they lose usefulness.

Building an arena team means you cant build up a team with 1 or 2 g10-11 toons if you dont have a set or 2 of not upgraded mods. Which again, seems to be against the spirit of the game as was described.

Now this may be a little ways off for some, but this is the future we are looking at in this scenario. Being forced to hold underdeveloped mods, feels like the opposite of incentive to develop, IMHO.

Also, just like as described for paper zombie, anyone who doesnt realize this startegy of holding back your best mods, will lose out, just like those that immediately upgraded zombie.
  • Options
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    Sorry about your luck, but games evolve and CG has done a great job with this update. I've recently crafted a few +20s and I have an opportunity to get many more within the next month as I acquire more material.

Clearly it wasn't a 'good mod' if you made it obsolete already. Do you not have more mods to slice to replace it? The update notes were pretty clear. What did you think would happen if you upgrade a mod?

None the less, it seems like you'll be doing a sad dance out of here. Perhaps 'Hello Kitty Island Adventure' is next for you?

My luck? They snuck something in the fine print, and failed to notify anywhere in game that they were changing the way 6* mods work from all the other tiers. Congratulations that you've been so fortunate on your slices. This was the only mod I had that gained any speed on ALL of mine, and the upgrade made it unusable. So basically all the resources I've spent on mod slicing have been wasted so far.

Sure, maybe I can replace it in another week. Great "solution". In the meantime I have much harder matches, and by the time I'm able to replace it, I'll be behind the curve.

I do like that blue mods are less useless now, even if they are more expensive since you have to upgrade all of them.

A better solution would be if EA had actual customer support that didn't just send out form letters.

Or if I just wise up and go back to playing single player games again, where devs have to actual make games player-friendly instead of profit-friendly.

Will see if they actually follow up further, although not very optimistic.

• Options
    I thought Mods didn’t talk that much but omg Kyno you are always there, knowing what to say :D:D
  • Options
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    Sorry about your luck, but games evolve and CG has done a great job with this update. I've recently crafted a few +20s and I have an opportunity to get many more within the next month as I acquire more material.

Clearly it wasn't a 'good mod' if you made it obsolete already. Do you not have more mods to slice to replace it? The update notes were pretty clear. What did you think would happen if you upgrade a mod?

None the less, it seems like you'll be doing a sad dance out of here. Perhaps 'Hello Kitty Island Adventure' is next for you?

My luck? They snuck something in the fine print, and failed to notify anywhere in game that they were changing the way 6* mods work from all the other tiers. Congratulations that you've been so fortunate on your slices. This was the only mod I had that gained any speed on ALL of mine, and the upgrade made it unusable. So basically all the resources I've spent on mod slicing have been wasted so far.

Sure, maybe I can replace it in another week. Great "solution". In the meantime I have much harder matches, and by the time I'm able to replace it, I'll be behind the curve.

I do like that blue mods are less useless now, even if they are more expensive since you have to upgrade all of them.

A better solution would be if EA had actual customer support that didn't just send out form letters.

Or if I just wise up and go back to playing single player games again, where devs have to actual make games player-friendly instead of profit-friendly.

Will see if they actually follow up further, although not very optimistic.
    Why should they? You’ve accused them of both sneaking something into the fine print and of not warning you about it at all. Does a customer who doesn’t pay any attention to the terms of service have a right to a refund when they mess up?

If none of your arena toons are g12 yet, surely someday some of them will be?
  • Options

The concern is for the future. At a later time when more mods are 6 dot, and we get a new raid toon, or legendary(unless you get all the way up to 7* first time around), these mods are now "useless".

Funny you bring up the spirit of the game, which was described as wanting to incentivize investment into development. But if you develop your mods they lose usefulness.

Building an arena team means you cant build up a team with 1 or 2 g10-11 toons if you dont have a set or 2 of not upgraded mods. Which again, seems to be against the spirit of the game as was described.

Now this may be a little ways off for some, but this is the future we are looking at in this scenario. Being forced to hold underdeveloped mods, feels like the opposite of incentive to develop, IMHO.

Also, just like as described for paper zombie, anyone who doesnt realize this startegy of holding back your best mods, will lose out, just like those that immediately upgraded zombie.

Your concern is well placed, though I wonder just how far into the future we’re talking about here.

Save for spending an inordinate amount of cash, the rate at which we can turn 5 dot golds into 6 dot will be glacial. And because the materials required to do so are (almost) independent of other roster development, we’ll quite possibly accrue g12 toons quicker than we accrue a full set of 6 dot mods.

I actually quite like the restrictions they’ve introduced lately. Can’t g12 a toon unless they’re 7*. Can’t put the best mods on a toon unless they’re g12 (and by extension 7*). There have been times when a newly released toon is instantly arena viable, even meta defining at 3*. These restrictions go some way towards “respecting investment”!
  • Options
    Honestly, right now the best use I can think of for 6dot mods is to make my Executrix blitzing fast
  • theHappyDance
    9 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Why should they? You’ve accused them of both sneaking something into the fine print and of not warning you about it at all. Does a customer who doesn’t pay any attention to the terms of service have a right to a refund when they mess up?

If none of your arena toons are g12 yet, surely someday some of them will be?

This is a lifestyle video game, not corporate merger. It's reasonable to expect that any major changes in how things work will be prominently noted IN-GAME, as well as online.

But congratulations. You reminded me why I avoid forums. There's a high percentage of people who go to them to just blindly defend "their team" with no faculty for contextual, rational, or empathetic analysis.

If something doesn't directly affect them, especially if it's harmful to other players, then they're all for it.

This is the problem in our country these days.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Your concern is well placed, though I wonder just how far into the future we’re talking about here.

Save for spending an inordinate amount of cash, the rate at which we can turn 5 dot golds into 6 dot will be glacial. And because the materials required to do so are (almost) independent of other roster development, we’ll quite possibly accrue g12 toons quicker than we accrue a full set of 6 dot mods.

I actually quite like the restrictions they’ve introduced lately. Can’t g12 a toon unless they’re 7*. Can’t put the best mods on a toon unless they’re g12 (and by extension 7*). There have been times when a newly released toon is instantly arena viable, even meta defining at 3*. These restrictions go some way towards “respecting investment”!

The MK2 materials in the guild store, if someone wanted would take 2-3 days to get 20 at 3 a pop.

The other materials might take longer if you dont refresh the energy, but still a week or 2 is probably a safe bet.

Considering that most people best mods are gold, someone could slice one of those fairly soon.

I have no problem with respecting investment, but for the sake of argument, suppose someone invested heavily into their raid team and is going to unlock traya in the next 2 weeks. In that time they dont realize this (much like people didnt realize a low gear zombie was a thing) and they make 6 dot mods out of a few of those already gold mods to get a good stat boost on their current arena team. Traya unlocks and they cant use those mods on traya. Where is the respect for that investment?

Or someone that invests but only gets a 6* of the next legendary?

I get it there has been an outcry against the marquee toons being viable at 3*, but what about someone who can and chooses to sink $100 and not $300 into a marquee toon? There investment isnt enough so it doesnt need to be respected, but they got a 5* toon, that needs "special mods" if they want to run them.

There are a lot of different levels of investment and respecting them should be considered. Raid toons and legendary unlock at 5* and they take a fair amount of broad investment to get. I feel that would have been a better base.

There words, not mine were to promote development, this doesnt promote development of mods. It actually makes holding them back a better strategy for the long term gains of "the unknown".

As for the timeline of this becoming a bigger issue, they always increase availability of things and this will be no different. As that happens this will become more of an issue, but as I said, our best mods are gold and could be getting locked out fairly soon.

The sky is not falling, just find this an interesting conflict between what the spirit of the game has been described as and the new elements of the game. I'm sure many will get through it and some will get bit, only time will tell.