Mod Upgrade Roll changes?

So maybe I am just remembering wrong?

Say blue mod level 1. Shows:
+200 health
+4 speed

My recollection is when you upgraded it would roll twice to see if the first 2 were upgraded, then roll again for first 3 and 4th time for all 4?

Now When I upgrade same blue mod to 15, some show:

(1) +200 Health
(1) +4 speed
(2) +600 protection
(2) +2.5% crit chance.

I thought that was not possible to get 3 rolls for the 3rd stat or 2 rolls on the 4th stat for a blue mod. Do I just remember wrong?

See bottom mod for example:
fvjwyijc3h0y.png

Replies

• swgohfan29
    1147 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Its in the new update. now secondaries are revealed before secondaries are upgraded
  • So from a player standpoint, for people looking to upgrade certain stats, isn't that much worse?
  • That's why they gave you reduced costs to upgrade and everybody was advised to upgrade their green and blue mods before the mod changes.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Huatimus wrote: »
    That's why they gave you reduced costs to upgrade and everybody was advised to upgrade their green and blue mods before the mod changes.

Well I missed that recommendation or I would have done it. So now they are cheaper, but its much harder to target stats?

So just rolled this green to 3. So it rolls on the hidden stats now but does not show them to you?

v2cc3nqow3cr.png
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes. 6 will reveal the third secondary, 9 will reveal the fourth. 12 will give you your ONE secondary update. (Green mods)

Unless you want to waste slicing resources and mod energy on collection slicing material, you're better off spamming mod challenges for blue/purple/gold now. It's the same energy for both and far more lucrative to get a decent one than slice a grey and really roll the dice.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Yes. 6 will reveal the third secondary, 9 will reveal the fourth. 12 will give you your ONE secondary update. (Green mods)

Unless you want to waste slicing resources and mod energy on collection slicing material, you're better off spamming mod challenges for blue/purple/gold now. It's the same energy for both and far more lucrative to get a decent one than slice a grey and really roll the dice.

Yeah. It also makes it much worse for newer players. Glad I have some good speed sets already.
  • Actually it's much simpler late in game. I typically just sell all my 4- and 5-dot grey unless they're a +speed arrow. Don't even bother rolling them anymore unless it's a desperately needed stat like +potency cross, or Crit damage triangle. Then I'll give it a few levels to show speed.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Actually it's much simpler late in game. I typically just sell all my 4- and 5-dot grey unless they're a +speed arrow. Don't even bother rolling them anymore unless it's a desperately needed stat like +potency cross, or Crit damage triangle. Then I'll give it a few levels to show speed.

Yeah great for us. Bad for new guys. Going to be much harder for them to target stats. Blue mods had better value before.

At least I can sell half of my mod inventory now. ;)
  • Blue mods still have some value now. Those that don’t show speed may still have a chance to show speed then subsequently upgrade that speed secondary.
    Green is a bit too much effort for my tastes.
  • @CoastalJames saw your other post. Hopefully the above answers some of it.

Summary: Much harder to target stats now. Blue and green mods lose the only benefit they had before. Probably better to ONLY slice your top mods to 6e. The rest, hunt for good purple and gold to start.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    So from a player standpoint, for people looking to upgrade certain stats, isn't that much worse?

Not really. The purpose is to make people less reliant on speed secondaries. That's why 6-dot mods get so many bonuses to so many things, but get two more speed.

Secondly, it means that if a mod didn't have speed as a secondary to begin with, you can now uncover speed as you level it up and get that increased.

Thirdly, it makes all qualities of mod (A through E) on the same level. There was a perception bias towards green and blue before, but the true "god mods" were gold because they could get 3 or 4 bumps to the same stat. Now the secondary distribution remains the same between qualities, and potentially any mod can become gold quality.

In a lot of areas this is a paragrade, but in some key areas it's an upgrade.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Yeah I understand, but removing the ability to target stats is just a flat out nerf. Not Just for speed, but for every stat. I had some blues with +800ish health and protection that I would use for tanks, etc.

I'm happy about all of the other changes, but that one is a nerf.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    VonZant wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

Yeah. It also makes it much worse for newer players. Glad I have some good speed sets already.

No it doesnt, because now every mod has a chance to hit multiple times on any stat revealed, vs before if it didnt have the stat you wanted it was immediately junk.

We end up with more chances to get the stat we want on a mod and then a chance for it to upgrade (at a slightly lower chance) and a reduced cost. Overall this is a win.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

No it doesnt, because now every mod has a chance to hit multiple times on any stat revealed, vs before if it didnt have the stat you wanted it was immediately junk.

We end up with more chances to get the stat we want on a mod and then a chance for it to upgrade (at a slightly lower chance) and a reduced cost. Overall this is a win.

I agree I like the changes. I like that they are diluting the speed cartel. I like the mod energy. But making it completely random is going to make sets comparable to our currently existing legacy speed sets much harder to get for newer players. Doesnt hurt us. It will take longer to build a +120 speed set, although it will cost less credits maybe. Maybe.