Rex led team (Winning the Second Round of Attacks without Clone Synergy)

CookieCrispp
555 posts Member
edited March 2016
Ok. So I have a crazy idea that I'm testing because I want to make a Rex led team work. Thpughts on a
Rex (lead)
RG
Rey
GS
QGJ
This team is designed to win the race from turn 1 to turn 2 and give the AI enough attacks that it can actually win a consistent amount on defense.

EDIT: Title, from "Rex led team" to what it is right now (more descriptive).
Edited post-Team Roster with a quick explanation as to the intent of the team. Further explanations in follow up posts.
EditEdit: Testing this would also require that his Squad Discipline grants the proper turn meter to toons(it has been reported and tested that this is inconsistent at best or not functioning at worst). As such, this is theorycrafting until the bug is fixed.

Also, tenacity up and RG are a nice little pair.
Post edited by CookieCrispp on

Replies

• .... I stopped thinking on this since you left 5's out. Really? Why post something with 0 synergy on a strategy forum?
  • CookieCrispp
    555 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Ok, so I guess I'll explain my logic. I did leave Fives out. The rationale is two fold. The first part is that Fives has really no place in the current meta, especially on a team that is giving up two spots for low damage persons. The second part is that Fives poses no real threat in a two turn fight. He's amazing for hurting things/slowing the fights down for GW, but in a zero healer setup he's just too much of a liability.
    The team design is to capitalize on:
    - the 9% additional HP to *hopefully* push Rey/QGJ/GS out of one shot range and to buff RG further.
    - Abuse Rex's Squad Discipline to force second turn dominance, similar to Phasma Victory March teams
    - To actually use Rex.

I find your comment about the lack of synergy completely off topic. Yes, Rex excels in synergistic Clone teams, however I do not feel that Clone setups are worthwhile in Arena. I am, however, posting a plausible Rex based team for Arena in a strategy section. Because right now he is in the same boat as 90% of characters with little to no arena representation, and even less leader representation. I'm also trying to figure out if his extra HP gain is worthwhile in a RG style glass cannon team, especially since he is (for most intents and purposes) a Phasma-esque leader without the assists (which are the reason most people care about Phasma).
  • fberbert
    593 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Put a clone squad together and you will dominate the turn meter from turn 2 until the end of the battle:

Rex, Plo-koon, Fives, Clone Sergeant and Han

Research the squad above and you will see. I will wait they fix Rex to start working on this project.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • ... IF your QGJ, GS and Rey are getting one shot then build them up some more. My comment is founded from experience. I am a consistent rank 1 player and have a complete roster with many rows of purple and 7* 70's including Grievous not to mention many more 7*'s UN-leveled. I achieved the former without ever coming to these forums and have done the "grind experimenting" to make it. I simply am trying to help YOU. Rex does not have what it takes to carry a team . encase you missed that ....... I have advised a friend @FrankieV16 on the use of Rex and 5's in a team that works. I will tell you the same thing I told him. 5's and Rex make a great duo synergy for your QGJ team to capitalize on. Ultimately, you need to focus on QGJ as your leader and max him. Your team should look like this (QGJ Leader, Old Ben/ GS "He hates GS and Refuses him", 5's, Rex, Rey) That is the exact advice I gave a really close friend.

Hope this helps you.

90f2df1.png

• CookieCrispp
    555 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Fbert, I know the comp you are suggesting. I am suggesting that it is *not* top tier arena viable. Clone Sergeant, Fives, and Plo are fun, and can do fine in situations such as GW. However I do not believe that they are arena viable due to inconsistent potency (Plo), low damage (Fives/Plo), and still relatively low speed (and damage for a raw DPS) (Clone Sergeant). I am theorycrafting an arena defensive team that I believe *will* work.
    TheVem, first, *in case. Second, technically, anyone can be one shot, especially at 7 stars due to assists and Rey/FOTP/Leia. I'm not doubting your "experience," nor your roster, however I am going off of what the AI is capable of and what it will do, since defense is really all that matters in arena (technically intimidation factor too, but that's as much based off of player names on each shard). Anyone can build a team that can win on offense (within reason, with 7 star, max geared toons), I am looking for something that can consistently hold/win on defense. There is less than half the synergy with QGJ as lead as opposed to Rex (which is ironic that your point is synergy in a comp). Whereas with the team I am suggesting I am attempting to guarantee a team that can land an RG taunt (post-enemy QGJ) and launch a strong return strike (with the second round happening right after speed 127 from the first round).

For instance, the combat should look like this:
    Enemy Yoda (Battle Med or Ataru based on player choice)
    Enemy Dooku (Lightning, probably targeting my defensive QGJ).
    Enemy QGJ (Harmonious, targeting Rey/GS). If it doesn't call FOTP or Leia or Rey should trigger RG regardless of target (unless targeted on RG).
    RG will probably do his Imperial Phalanx somewhere here or in the last few moves.
    GS Coin Flip.
    Other half of GS Coin Flip
    Rey Coin Flip
    Other Half of Rey Coin Flip
    (If Poe/Daka then most likely they haven't pushed through RG, especially with a Poe/OB team).
    My QGJ un-stuns
    Rex Squad Disc. (Which could clear any Non-Rex Stuns/Ability blocks).
    GS Primary
    Rey "Combo"
    QGJ Harmonious assault
    RG Stun (assuming he is not dead due to GS/Rey Targeting/Crits.)
    Rex Subdue

Now there's still a lot up in the air. I'm assuming a QGJ stun but no Daka stuns. I'm aware that a QGJ FOTP assist train will probably 1shot anyone (though on defense this is pretty much unavoidable without a Speed Daka or lucky Dooku lightning target). However I'm trying to be fairly confident regarding my secondary wave of attacks and attempting to build a team that features Rex and has decent defensive viability. I'm also trying to help discover if Rex has viability as more than just a cheap Phasma-turn manipulation alternative, but as a fully effective leader in his own right.

Also, listing your toons does no good, and serves to actually take focus away from your point. Congrats that you got first? I'm unsure as to the point you are trying to make there. If it's that you can get rank 1, great for you? Your post comes across as a weird passive-aggressive that implies that I am not securing rank 1 on my shard during rewards time , or that I am running teams of sub-max star/gear.

EDIT: Rey "Combo" instead of Rey "primary". Forgot that AI prioritizes her finisher over primaries after using the setup move.
    Post edited by CookieCrispp on
  • Also note that I am basing my defensive lineup on the premise that if given between 5-8 unanswered attacks that the AI can actually kill someone before a heal can be cast/landed or before a taunt. This in turn can create a situation in which the AI is capable of actually winning a round. Note that Rex's speed position after both Han and Poe also sets up perfectly for a QGJ Humbling Blow post-taunt (With the added benefit of O up unless RNGsus hates you).
  • TheVem001
    229 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    @CookieCrispp ,

No, I am not trying to imply anything. I don't know you from Adam and vice versa. I am merely stating that I am not tossing fluff in your direction. Rex (http://www.swgohcantina.com/ct-7567-rex/) Brother in Arms affects non clone allies by 50% which, is what you stated with the 9% HP Boost and On CRIT 7.5% TM. This is not a full synergy. It is for 5's but not the remaining Jedi combatants or w/e you choose. Granted TM is nice, just not at that level. I can safely say that your idea, would not "scare" my team away from attacking you. Nor would it the majority of other people on these forums. By removing Five's (edited from Rex) you are basically going against what the Dev's are giving you Rex for. They want you to use REX and Fives together. This is why in the Aurodium Data packs they specifically tell you who Rex syn's with and give you a chance at their shards.

Aurodium Data Pack:

cf81219.png

Fives is a decent hitter and his ally assist works with Rex to be upper mid tier worthy. but that's where it ends. Just like my involvement in this topic. Good luck 2 u hope to see your team at the top!
  • Oh, I'm fully aware of the Dev's intentions regarding Rex/Fives/Clone synergy. I just feel that the viability gained from Clone Synergy is not worth the use of sub-optimal characters (especially when Fives calls a non-Rex ally to assist). I'm not going for Clone Synergy regarding Rex, and I am attempting to not be completely reliant on his leader ability (it is nice, and synergizes nicely with the turn 2 attacks). I am using his skill set to win the Turn 1 to Turn 2 speed race and assuming that a combination of Squad Discipline and his leader ability will get me a full team's worth of unanswered attacks at the beginning of the second round of combat. And that the second round of attacks will be enough for even the defensive AI to win a match (or at least a certain number of matches). In fact, the weakest part for this team would be a Poe situation (due to Rey/GS unloading their second attacks into the taunt before QGJ can Humbling), however a Poe team may not have the firepower to drop RG in the first round (depending on assist calls obviously).

No P2P team can really intimidate any other P2P team, simply due to having the tools to deal with any threats posed. Most of the intimidation factors in arena seem to be (from my experience) intimidating F2P teams (due to not having a full speed DPS roster) or offering a dangerous team for a sub-optimal arena rank (rank 2 basically). This is actually my biggest fear for this team. That simply put, people can beat the AI on D, and that having such a weirdly designed team may make players more willing to target me as opposed to traditional meta teams. Which would lead to this team, while it may have a higher win rate, to cause a greater loss of spots due to more frequent targeting.