Impossible platoons for T.B.

Prev13
What's up with all the platoons that require pay to play characters? My guild is a strictly free to play guild. We are all players that just don't have extra money laying around to spend like a lot of guilds players do. We simply don't have it. So, as it stands, it is impossible for us to fill certain platoons in territory battles. Today, for example, in the north ship territory, 5 out of the 6 platoons require at minimum 1 pay to play ship. So it's impossible for us to get to even level 1 for the strafing run. Which makes even attempting 1 platoon obsolete for us. You've completely taken an entire section of the game out of it for us because of your greed. Shame on you, EA!

Replies

• Wai
  • I feel like we shouldn’t be expecting anything different from EA at this point
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    This has been clearly stated since they made the change a while ago, to have the first 3 phases with fixed platoons.

The later 3 phases can have anyone available in game. This is nothing new and has been this way for quite some time.

You can develop and build to complete TB without any platoons, its called progress. Everyone deals with it, I dont think as many guild fill platoons as you seem to think. As with every game mod paying makes it easier/quicker, but by no means locks anyone out of any game mode.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    You can develop and build to complete TB without any platoons, its called progress. Everyone deals with it, I dont think as many guild fill platoons as you seem to think. As with every game mod paying makes it easier/quicker, but by no means locks anyone out of any game mode.

This is pretty deceiving. We had a couple days last time with 0/6 and day 5 was all 2/6 (for a 175M guild, btw), and day 6 was absolutely brutal. Lots of full synergized g12 teams not completing the missions.

Even though we all KNOW this is going to happen, it doesn't change the fact that it's super un-fun and it's probably the worst thing CG has ever done to this game. But it's cool, because we all know they don't care.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    StarSon wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

This is pretty deceiving. We had a couple days last time with 0/6 and day 5 was all 2/6 (for a 175M guild, btw), and day 6 was absolutely brutal. Lots of full synergized g12 teams not completing the missions.

Even though we all KNOW this is going to happen, it doesn't change the fact that it's super un-fun and it's probably the worst thing CG has ever done to this game. But it's cool, because we all know they don't care.

Its deceiving because you haven't done it?

It is 100% true, it will take time (unless you want to $$) just like everything else in this game.

I didnt care for the change when they made it, but it is what it is. Develop past it, just like all the other currently difficult content.

There are teams out there that can go 5/6 easy without platoons, you also don't have to go 6/6 yo win TB. Just develop a roster naturally over time to make up for the missed points in GP.

It is 100% true, it will take time (unless you want to $$) just like everything else in this game.

I didnt care for the change when they made it, but it is what it is. Develop past it, just like all the other currently difficult content.

There are teams out there that can go 5/6 easy without platoons, you also don't have to go 6/6 yo win TB. Just develop a roster naturally over time to make up for the missed points in GP.

It's deceiving because 6/6 can't be done without *some* platoon help.

And sure, eventually we can just brute force deploy it, but in the meantime it's not fun, which I'm sure is the opposite of what CG wants, because who will spend money on something without getting something valuable in return? As it stands, I know it's not possible, so I just auto and call it a day. I'm sure that's also not what CG wants.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

It's deceiving because 6/6 can't be done without *some* platoon help.

And sure, eventually we can just brute force deploy it, but in the meantime it's not fun, which I'm sure is the opposite of what CG wants, because who will spend money on something without getting something valuable in return? As it stands, I know it's not possible, so I just auto and call it a day. I'm sure that's also not what CG wants.

Yet. It cant be done yet.

And beating TB is not only about missions. There will be a point where a guild can do it on pure GP. It's just time and development. All this game is is development and strategy, TB is no different.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    TimmyHutch wrote: »
    This has been clearly stated since they made the change a while ago, to have the first 3 phases with fixed platoons.

The later 3 phases can have anyone available in game. This is nothing new and has been this way for quite some time.

So because something "has been clearly stated" that makes it Ok?

I'm gonna shoot you in the head. I clearly stated it, so now it's ok.

See how that works?

As I said, I'm not happy about it. But the OP seems to be acting like this is something new, it's not. The way platoons is has been stated and they have been following that system for a while.

There are ways around it, and it will just take time. Just like everything in this game.

In a game, when they clearly state the "rules of engagement" and stick to them, yes it is ok. It doesnt mean you have to like it.
  • Has anyone noticed the fact that the two ships crippling every single platoon today are all DS ships?
    Isn't this unallowed? It's like they know LS only has a single Marquee ship and they made an exception for just this.
    Is this what the last LSTB was cancelled/postponed for? To make platoons worse?
  • Ship platoons have always contained LS and DS ships. Since day 1.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

See how that works?

There are ways around it, and it will just take time. Just like everything in this game.

That's not true. Time won't get you around it since the bar is constantly moved with every new character, which is introduced into the game. The only ways around it is paying up or having a lucky good RNG.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Waqui wrote: »

See how that works?

That's not true. Time won't get you around it since the bar is constantly moved with every new character, which is introduced into the game. The only ways around it is paying up or having a lucky good RNG.

Nope, the bar was moved once. They stated platoons will now be filled with any character in game. From that point on, just accept you will not fill platoons unless you or your guild has a few whales and move on.

Over time we will all have average GPs high enough and good enough teams to overcome most of the waves and the point difference of missing waves and not getting the ones for closing platoons.

Also there maybe a period of time where no marquees are launched and we all have a chance to catch up.

See how that works?

Nope, the bar was moved once. They stated platoons will now be filled with any character in game. From that point on, just accept you will not fill platoons unless you or your guild has a few whales and move on.

Over time we will all have average GPs high enough and good enough teams to overcome most of the waves and the point difference of missing waves and not getting the ones for closing platoons.

Also there maybe a period of time where no marquees are launched and we all have a chance to catch up.

The part about good enough teams isn’t true. I’ve already said, a full team with proper synergy and zetas at g12 can’t 6/6 these things if you don’t have *some* platoon help. On LSTB with a full g12 multi zeta Rebel team under CLS I can go into wave 6 with full protection and full TM and still not win.

The only way for your statements to be true would be if they released several characters specifically built to beat those waves, which is unlikely.
  • Oh, yes, tell me again that it's just "progress". Don't you feel ashamed? Even just a little bit? Elite Special snowtroopers can oneshot anything if stealthed if you don't fill the platoons. You can progress without them, right?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2018

See how that works?

Which is exactly my point. No matter how much you farm, without spending real cash you will never be able to fill every platoon. Unless CG stops releasing new characters (which moves the bar) you will never catch up.

Your comment on GP is irrelevant. OP didn't discuss earning max number of stars. The topic if this discussion is ability to fill platoons. Please stay on topic (as also encouraged by the forum rules)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

See how that works?

Which is exactly my point. No matter how much you farm, without spending real cash you will never be able to fill every platoon. Unless CG stops releasing new characters (which moves the bar) you will never catch up.

Your comment on GP is irrelevant. OP didn't discuss earning max number of stars. The topic if this discussion is ability to fill platoons. Please stay on topic (as also encouraged by the forum rules)

Filling platoons is not a necessary part of TB. it just makes it easier. There is no need to spend a dime in this game. you just have to accept a different pace and have patience.

on topic: platoons are not necessary to the goal of TB, which is to accomplish stars.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    @Kyno, please note, that I never stated, that I don't accept, that new characters are required in platoons. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Please also note, that I nevwr claimed, that you're required to pay anything at all for this game. I am f2p myself and enjoying it, and I'm perfectly fine with paying players having an advantage.

I'm discussing your statement about 'giving it time', which is false. Time will never help you complete all platoons, as long as new toons are released which raises the bar every time. As long as new toons are released and go into platoons only money or extreme luck will help you fill all platoons — time will not.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited September 2018
    @Kyno, please note, that I never stated, that I don't accept, that new characters are required in platoons. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Please also note, that I nevwr claimed, that you're required to pay anything at all for this game. I am f2p myself and enjoying it, and I'm perfectly fine with paying players having an advantage.

I'm discussing your statement about 'giving it time', which is false. Time will never help you complete all platoons, as long as new toons are released which raises the bar every time. As long as new toons are released and go into platoons only money or extreme luck will help you fill all platoons — time will not.

Completing platoons is only there to help you get stars. You will over time be able to bypass this part of the event and still accomplish the same goal, or better than you are now.

Platoons on their own serve no purpose towards the event as far as scoring. The only reason platoons are here is to make things easier.

Also as stated by the dev team the setup being used was to have a time for release of characters (a string of marquee events) and then some events or things to use them in. I dont think we will have a completely marquee free period but we will see a lower rate of release. This would also mean that over time we will all have less toons that dont meet the requirements for platoons.

Also older players who are good at hoarding can and have gotten marquee toons for free within the initial release time. It's not possible at the current pace, but as I said, I'm sure we will see a lower pace over the next few months.

All in all over time we will all do better in TBs, no matter the platoon situation.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Completing platoons is only there to help you get stars. You will over time be able to bypass this part of the event and still accomplish the same goal, or better than you are now.

This statement is correct, but has nothing to do with the OP's discussion or points. The discussion is not about the ability to score more points in TB. The OP only discusses the ability to complete platoons.

Again:
    Time doesn't do anything for you there. Not at all.

There's no point in repeating my statement, which still stands. If you wish to go off topic (and break forum rules) it's up to you. I won't follow you there.

Over and out.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

This statement is correct, but has nothing to do with the OP's discussion or points. The discussion is not about the ability to score more points in TB. The OP only discusses the ability to complete platoons.

Again:
    Time doesn't do anything for you there. Not at all.

There's no point in repeating my statement, which still stands. If you wish to go off topic (and break forum rules) it's up to you. I won't follow you there.

Over and out.

Why complain about not filling platoons if the goal is to not do better in TB?
    Just ignore them then. The only reason to care about platoons is for the TB event, if there is no concern of the goal for TB, then there is no concern about filling platoons.

So this is a pointless conversation, over and out.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    One comment that bothers me is the just accept it and move on. I believe the customers should have some say in the product they are utilizing. We accepted this annoyance at first but when it became abused (3 straight days of unfillable fleet platoons-all requiring sith fighter or hounds tooth for my guild). Why should we accept that and move on?

Because we can all just be happier, if we move on and work to go around this.

They have already stated they are looking at making this situation less likely in the future by acknowledging and saying they will try not to have this sting of marquees again. So that is being addressed.

With all the complaints about the platoons since it was changed, they have stated nothing and would appear they have no intention on changing this.

Being that over time we can work out as guilds ways to make TB work and improve scores without platoons, it seems like we would all just benefit from relaxing and moving on. Work on other methods to improve TB scores.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Also, Kyno , I'm not trying to be disrespectful toward you, but just because you don't care about platoons, or don't enjoy them, or hell, maybe you actually do enjoy them, but just because you feel a certain way towards them, doesn't mean everybody else feels the same way you do. I enjoy the platoon aspect of the game. If platoons were a stand alone aspect of this game, I would enjoy it even without TB.

I have never said anyone does or should feel the same way I do about platoons.

I think they are a great element of the TB forcing people to have to theory craft around "a problem".

All I am pointing out is that when it comes to ones you cant fill, which will always exist in the current structure, the best mindset is to work on solving the problem you can solve. How do you make up the points? What teams can get you the best run possible?

I'm not going to get hung up on a game mechanic that I dont like. I'm not going to get hung up on what the company has done to release whatever toons we will need in the future to do stuff. Other people may and that's understandable, but there are ways around it and it takes time. Just like everything else in this game, you can overcome the problem through development. Platoons are just an element of TB, and they are not necessary, it's an advantage people who $$ get.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Also, Kyno , I'm not trying to be disrespectful toward you, but just because you don't care about platoons, or don't enjoy them, or hell, maybe you actually do enjoy them, but just because you feel a certain way towards them, doesn't mean everybody else feels the same way you do. I enjoy the platoon aspect of the game. If platoons were a stand alone aspect of this game, I would enjoy it even without TB.

All I am pointing out is that when it comes to ones you cant fill, which will always exist in the current structure, ....

[...]

... but there are ways around it and it takes time.

Do you even know what your own oppinion is? The problem will always exist. Agreed. However, time will not solve the problem defined by the OP. There's no scenario in which time will help solve it. Bucketloads of crystals (hence money) will. Time will not.

(Forum rules still asks of you to stay on-topic. The topic is platoons - which is made 100% clear by the OP's 2 recent comments. Your comments about TB in general are off-topic and no help at all to OP).