Impossible platoons for T.B.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Waqui wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    TimmyHutch wrote: »
    Also, Kyno , I'm not trying to be disrespectful toward you, but just because you don't care about platoons, or don't enjoy them, or hell, maybe you actually do enjoy them, but just because you feel a certain way towards them, doesn't mean everybody else feels the same way you do. I enjoy the platoon aspect of the game. If platoons were a stand alone aspect of this game, I would enjoy it even without TB.

All I am pointing out is that when it comes to ones you cant fill, which will always exist in the current structure, ....

[...]

... but there are ways around it and it takes time.

Do you even know what your own oppinion is? The problem will always exist. Agreed. However, time will not solve the problem defined by the OP. There's no scenario in which time will help solve it. Bucketloads of crystals (hence money) will. Time will not.

(Forum rules still asks of you to stay on-topic. The topic is platoons - which is made 100% clear by the OP's 2 recent comments. Your comments about TB in general are off-topic and no help at all to OP).

@Waqui

Here is the title

3tn8x7l2z2xg.jpg

The relevant topic is for TB. Therefore TB is on topic.

Time will solve the issue for TB, as stated in the title of the thread.

No one is filling platoons to see a pretty picture, they serve a purpose.

And yes, hoarding over time and buying a new toon does also solve that problem as you so narrowly want to define it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Time will not solve the issue of not being able to fill platoons in TB. It may solve a lot of other things in TB - but not this.

OP has made it crystal clear, that for him filling platoons is a goal in itself. His topic is not about scoring higher in TB. You yourself may see platoons only as a purpose for scoring points in TB (and yes, with time you will score higher solely by deploying more and more GP. Agreed.) but that's your way of viewing it - not the OP's. Your point of view is as valid as anybody else's but it doesn't help the OP to continue going off-topic.

(Your initial comment about the devs' statement regarding platoons was informative and helpfull. I give you that, though).
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Also, Kyno , I'm not trying to be disrespectful toward you, but just because you don't care about platoons, or don't enjoy them, or hell, maybe you actually do enjoy them, but just because you feel a certain way towards them, doesn't mean everybody else feels the same way you do. I enjoy the platoon aspect of the game. If platoons were a stand alone aspect of this game, I would enjoy it even without TB.

All I am pointing out is that when it comes to ones you cant fill, which will always exist in the current structure, ....

[...]

Do you even know what your own oppinion is? The problem will always exist. Agreed. However, time will not solve the problem defined by the OP. There's no scenario in which time will help solve it. Bucketloads of crystals (hence money) will. Time will not.

(Forum rules still asks of you to stay on-topic. The topic is platoons - which is made 100% clear by the OP's 2 recent comments. Your comments about TB in general are off-topic and no help at all to OP).

@Waqui

Here is the title

3tn8x7l2z2xg.jpg

And yes, hoarding over time and buying a new toon does also solve that problem as you so narrowly want to define it.

The problem, is that the bolded is a false statement. Time will pass, and more chars will be added, which means platoons will always be impossible. It is already impossible to 6/6 all of the missions in p6 without some platoon help. This will not change with time.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »

[...]

@Waqui

Here is the title

3tn8x7l2z2xg.jpg

The problem, is that the bolded is a false statement. Time will pass, and more chars will be added, which means platoons will always be impossible. It is already impossible to 6/6 all of the missions in p6 without some platoon help. This will not change with time.

Thank you. :—)
  • Why would a guild be strictly f2p ?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

[...]

@Waqui

Here is the title

3tn8x7l2z2xg.jpg

Through GP development and new stronger characters you will be able to overcome the points lost from not filling platoons. It is not false, it will just take time.

JTR team can clear 6/6 without all platoons filled.

Through GP development and new stronger characters you will be able to overcome the points lost from not filling platoons. It is not false, it will just take time.

I'm not even talking about *all* platoons. You keep skipping that part of my posts. I know lots of guilds (many over 170M GP) that can't fill platoons, particularly ships. Getting 0/6 on p5 and/or p6 is basically a death knell for the middle combats. Maybe you can brute force the Rebels mission (I did with 0/6 yesterday and 2/6 today, barely... wouldn't have been able to if we had gone 0/6 in p6), but what about R1? That one is hard even with a full g12 R1 squad *with* 6/6 on platoons. And we aren't getting new R1 chars.

You can keep keepin on, thinking time will solve this, but it won't. For any guild not collectively pumping $3k/month into this game, platoons will always be out of reach, and that means star goals will be pushed further and further back.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I'm not even talking about *all* platoons. You keep skipping that part of my posts. I know lots of guilds (many over 170M GP) that can't fill platoons, particularly ships. Getting 0/6 on p5 and/or p6 is basically a death knell for the middle combats. Maybe you can brute force the Rebels mission (I did with 0/6 yesterday and 2/6 today, barely... wouldn't have been able to if we had gone 0/6 in p6), but what about R1? That one is hard even with a full g12 R1 squad *with* 6/6 on platoons. And we aren't getting new R1 chars.

You can keep keepin on, thinking time will solve this, but it won't. For any guild not collectively pumping $3k/month into this game, platoons will always be out of reach, and that means star goals will be pushed further and further back.

You dont need platoons to score in TB. After GP growth you can overcome the points missed.

Development of ships and toons will allow you to beat more waves.

Platoons are a subset of the event, and do make it easier, but are not necessary. It will just take time to develop to the point where not filling any platoons will not be an issue.

You dont need platoons to score in TB. After GP growth you can overcome the points missed.

Platoons are a subset of the event, and do make it easier, but are not necessary. It will just take time to develop to the point where not filling any platoons will not be an issue.

Please, name the teams that can 6/6 all 3 combats and complete the SM with zero platoons. I will try them next time with my best mods and let you know how it goes when we 0/6 both days because we'll probably have another new awful ship no one will buy before then.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Please, name the teams that can 6/6 all 3 combats and complete the SM with zero platoons. I will try them next time with my best mods and let you know how it goes when we 0/6 both days because we'll probably have another new awful ship no one will buy before then.

I never said you will be able to 6/6 with no platoons. I said you can improve your score. The score is a combination of waves completed and GP. Through development you can do better in the missions, completing more waves, and then when you hit that wall (which may be 6/6 with new toons that come out later) you can make up for any lost points with GP growth.

Excluding ships, it seems we get 2 platoons that dont have marquee toons in them. This point is being proven by another forum member. In that situation a JTR lead resistance team can go 5/6 maybe even 6/6 with arena mods.
  • StarSon wrote: »

zFinn resistance with Poe, Resistance Trooper, and Resistance Pilot is a fairly easy 6/6 on bottom regardless of platoons. My Finn & Poe are g12, RPilot is g8, and Trooper is g12 (for HSith). I throw a lvl 73 Mace in as the 5th because he can occasionally add an expose.

For the Phase 6 special, I use ROLO lead (mandatory), then zzzRJT, zzbb8, zzHermit Yoda, zGrand Master Yoda - all g12/11, and it was trivial despite low platoons and no rebel bombardment.

Phase 6 Rebels, I use zzzCLS, zHan Solo, zzR2-D2, Princess Leia, Captain Han Solo. It was challenging, but I finished it fairly easy by using the stuns and dazes to CC the enemies.

Rogue One is just a cluster. No zetas - g10 Jyn, g12 Chaze, g9 Cassian, g11 Pao. Got 4/6 waves, would have gotten 5/6 with rebel bombardment.
  • jkray622 wrote: »

zFinn resistance with Poe, Resistance Trooper, and Resistance Pilot is a fairly easy 6/6 on bottom regardless of platoons. My Finn & Poe are g12, RPilot is g8, and Trooper is g12 (for HSith). I throw a lvl 73 Mace in as the 5th because he can occasionally add an expose.

For the Phase 6 special, I use ROLO lead (mandatory), then zzzRJT, zzbb8, zzHermit Yoda, zGrand Master Yoda - all g12/11, and it was trivial despite low platoons and no rebel bombardment.

Phase 6 Rebels, I use zzzCLS, zHan Solo, zzR2-D2, Princess Leia, Captain Han Solo. It was challenging, but I finished it fairly easy by using the stuns and dazes to CC the enemies.

Rogue One is just a cluster. No zetas - g10 Jyn, g12 Chaze, g9 Cassian, g11 Pao. Got 4/6 waves, would have gotten 5/6 with rebel bombardment.

All you’re doing isn’t proving my point. You did have some platoons. I did essentially the same (CLS/Han for Rebels, JTR Resistance south, double Yoda for SM) and completed them all. With low platoons, I barely beat the Rebels mission.

It would not have worked with zero platoons, which is my argument.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

[...]

@Waqui

Here is the title

3tn8x7l2z2xg.jpg

Kyno, you must be having a bad day. The OP doesn't mention scores by a single word. When you continue to write about this in your responses, you ate derailing the discussion. If you really want to help the OP, then stay on topic and discuss the abilitu to fill platoons.

Yes, your statement was and still is false. Time will not help anybody fill more platoons (in phases 4 through 6).
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

[...]

Waqui

Here is the title

3tn8x7l2z2xg.jpg

Kyno, you must be having a bad day. The OP doesn't mention scores by a single word. When you continue to write about this in your responses, you ate derailing the discussion. If you really want to help the OP, then stay on topic and discuss the abilitu to fill platoons.

Yes, your statement was and still is false. Time will not help anybody fill more platoons (in phases 4 through 6).

Waqui, please explain to me how "Impossible Playoons for TB" does not relate platoons to TB.

TB is about the score, and waves completed. This can be drastically effected when we go from platoons being filled to not, as we have seen with the recent additions of marquee ships.

As I have said, my statement is true for how to go around an unnecessary requirements in platoons. Platoons are not necessary, they just make things easier, and at some point players will develop around needing them, not through.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    All you’re doing isn’t proving my point. You did have some platoons. I did essentially the same (CLS/Han for Rebels, JTR Resistance south, double Yoda for SM) and completed them all. With low platoons, I barely beat the Rebels mission.
    It would not have worked with zero platoons, which is my argument.

I don't know how you can claim it wouldn't work with zero platoons. You're just guessing. My CLS-rebels have lots of zetas, they're all g12, and I have mediocre mods on them because I don't use them in arena. It took strategy, but mediocre mods with low platoons won. Perhaps no platoons with great mods would win.

I feel confident my zFinn could easily win - if the enemy gets no turns, the platoons don't matter. They'll never clear their debuffs, do damage, or fire off the imperial air strikes. No turns = no chance.

Gear 12, g12+ pieces, zetas, and mods are hugely important. I think that if I zeta'ed Jyn and geared the rest of that team to g11-12, I probably could have won that one, rather than getting 4/6. I just don't want to invest that much into the R1 squad at this point...

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2018

[...]

Waqui

Here is the title

3tn8x7l2z2xg.jpg

Waqui, please explain to me how "Impossible Playoons for TB" does not relate platoons to TB.

TB is about the score, and waves completed. This can be drastically effected when we go from platoons being filled to not, as we have seen with the recent additions of marquee ships.

As I have said, my statement is true for how to go around an unnecessary requirements in platoons. Platoons are not necessary, they just make things easier, and at some point players will develop around needing them, not through.

Your comments about how to score more points in TB is off—topic. The OP has clearly stated, that he's discussing the ability to fill platoons — not how to score points. OP has even tried pulling you back on topic. If you intend to help OP, then stay on his topic. Don't make a false statement as you did earlier. False statements don't help the OP.
  • @Kyno, here is one of OP's comments to you. Yet, still after this, you keep going on about waves, points and how time will help. OP doesn't discuss all that. Your comments are not helping him at all. Your false statement certainly doesn't.
    Also, @Kyno , I'm not trying to be disrespectful toward you, but just because you don't care about platoons, or don't enjoy them, or hell, maybe you actually do enjoy them, but just because you feel a certain way towards them, doesn't mean everybody else feels the same way you do. I enjoy the platoon aspect of the game. If platoons were a stand alone aspect of this game, I would enjoy it even without TB.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno, here is one of OP's comments to you. Yet, still after this, you keep going on about waves, points and how time will help. OP doesn't discuss all that. Your comments are not helping him at all. Your false statement certainly doesn't.
    Also, @Kyno , I'm not trying to be disrespectful toward you, but just because you don't care about platoons, or don't enjoy them, or hell, maybe you actually do enjoy them, but just because you feel a certain way towards them, doesn't mean everybody else feels the same way you do. I enjoy the platoon aspect of the game. If platoons were a stand alone aspect of this game, I would enjoy it even without TB.

@Waqui even he states pretty clearly that platoons are part of TB. (which would make what you have been trying to say wrong, but thats ok)

Nothing i have said is wrong, we will over time be able to score and do better in TB with development.

Filling platoons is not necessary for TB.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Kyno, here is one of OP's comments to you. Yet, still after this, you keep going on about waves, points and how time will help. OP doesn't discuss all that. Your comments are not helping him at all. Your false statement certainly doesn't.

@Waqui even he states pretty clearly that platoons are part of TB. (which would make what you have been trying to say wrong, but thats ok)

Nothing i have said is wrong, we will over time be able to score and do better in TB with development.

Filling platoons is not necessary for TB.

Your previous statement that time will help with the problem described and discussed by OP was and still is false.

Your statements that time will help OP in other aspects of TB and that he can play TB without platoons are completely irrelevant to his discussion and they don't help him. Those statements only derail the discussion.

Your refusal (or inability) to think outside your own little box and instead align with the OP to help him is unsuitable.
  • I'll bring my comment here since this seems to be one of the spots where the discussion is.

Thanks to bad coding, or by greedy design, the last three days of the TB my guild has not been able to finish at least two squadrons in order to unlock Strafing Run or hinder Orbital Bombardment. That's just plain bad.

Now, let's get this straight. I'm not asking to be able to fill all of the squadrons. I know they want us to pay for ships so they make their money. What I'm asking is to be able to fill JUST TWO so I can at least unlock or hinder so that we can make use of what's there. In the past there wasn't a problem with this. Usually we could always fill at least two.

You might say "well Lando's Falcon is farmable now", and you would be right. However even if we had a 5*, 6*, or 7* Lando's Falcon, or two or three of them, we couldn't have finished two squadrons. One of the days if we'd had Lando's Falcon to the required level we could have finished one squadron. The other days, all the squadrons with a Lando's Falcon had either the Sith Fighter or Hound's Tooth in them.

This happened last Imperial TB, but not quite as bad, I think only 1 or 2 days. Three days in a row this time is unacceptable, and I'm fearing it'll happen 3 days in a row this next Imp TB. Two squadrons is not a lot to ask. They manage to not block 5/6 or 6/6 platoons with all the new characters, and there are a LOT of those, so I feel they could manage to not block us in ships too.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I have never said anyone does or should feel the same way I do about platoons.

I think they are a great element of the TB forcing people to have to theory craft around "a problem".

All I am pointing out is that when it comes to ones you cant fill, which will always exist in the current structure, the best mindset is to work on solving the problem you can solve. How do you make up the points? What teams can get you the best run possible?

I'm not going to get hung up on a game mechanic that I dont like. I'm not going to get hung up on what the company has done to release whatever toons we will need in the future to do stuff. Other people may and that's understandable, but there are ways around it and it takes time. Just like everything else in this game, you can overcome the problem through development. Platoons are just an element of TB, and they are not necessary, it's an advantage people who $$ get.

You're not hearing me though. I don't want to go around platoons. I like platoons. It's an enjoyable part of the game for me. But I'm unable to participate in platoons because of how they run it. They took out an enjoyable part of the game for me.

No I hear you, but TB is the collectors end game, as they have described it. You want to be a top end collector but not spend, and that's not how this is designed. Yes its unfortunate but that is the same game we all face. We would all love access to everything without the price tag.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I have never said anyone does or should feel the same way I do about platoons.

I think they are a great element of the TB forcing people to have to theory craft around "a problem".

All I am pointing out is that when it comes to ones you cant fill, which will always exist in the current structure, the best mindset is to work on solving the problem you can solve. How do you make up the points? What teams can get you the best run possible?

I'm not going to get hung up on a game mechanic that I dont like. I'm not going to get hung up on what the company has done to release whatever toons we will need in the future to do stuff. Other people may and that's understandable, but there are ways around it and it takes time. Just like everything else in this game, you can overcome the problem through development. Platoons are just an element of TB, and they are not necessary, it's an advantage people who $$ get.

You're not hearing me though. I don't want to go around platoons. I like platoons. It's an enjoyable part of the game for me. But I'm unable to participate in platoons because of how they run it. They took out an enjoyable part of the game for me.

No I hear you, but TB is the collectors end game, as they have described it. You want to be a top end collector but not spend, and that's not how this is designed. Yes its unfortunate but that is the same game we all face. We would all love access to everything without the price tag.

I disagree. I think simply collecting the characters is the collectors end game. TB is an aspect of the game that everybody can enjoy. Or at least should be able to enjoy. There are also aspects within TB ie: platoons that were originally intended to be playable by everybody. But then they moved the goal posts on us. It started out where we could fill 4, 5, and even 6 out of 6 platoons in most cases. Slowly but surely, Lucy pulled the football away, and we were left swinging and missing. They made an aspect of the game that was once enjoyable no longer enjoyable. I understand they are trying to make money, but it's going to drive more people away than bring dollars in. Maybe not right out of the gate, but certainly in the long run. I've already witnessed a bakers dozen players leave the game completely based solely on platoons being impossible to fill. Whether you like it or not, people leaving the game like that affects us negatively.

Disagree or not that is how the designers designed it according to what they have stated in an interview. That statement was made before the change to platoons, but as they were leading into it.
  • Mhmacleod
    194 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Had a rowdy "discussion" about this form of deprivation in the game with my guild members and how it didn't make sense to invalidate a whole important feature of this event...then it occurred to us how crazy it would be if this moving goalposts concept was slowly applied across all existing events in the game e.g. Forest Moon:
    ...Oh oops - I hope the devs don't pick up on this 😂6ws59p8gtx09.jpeg
  • Trying to resolve the argument, let's agree on the following:

To maximize TB yield you need SOME platoons help.
    To actually get max return you do not need to fill in EVERY SINGLE platoon day-in day-out.

So you focus on making as many platoons filled as reasonably doable, and also focus on your core teams to get the target result.

Of course, any task is easier with unlimited resources, but rarely is impossible without unlimited resources.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Altazarus wrote: »
    Trying to resolve the argument, let's agree on the following:

To actually get max return you do not need to fill in EVERY SINGLE platoon day-in day-out.

That's already agreed. That's not the topic of this discussion. It may be in many other similar discussions, but not this one. This discussion is about the ability to fill platoons — not in order to score higher in TB, but simply to fill platoons.

Regarding your statements:
    At some point you will be able to get 45*/48* without filling a single platoon. Top guilds may even be able to already (in my guild we only just got our first 45* in LS TB. We still rely on filling platoons).
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

That's already agreed. That's not the topic of this discussion. It may be in many other similar discussions, but not this one. This discussion is about the ability to fill platoons — not in order to score higher in TB, but simply to fill platoons.

At some point you will be able to get 45*/48* without filling a single platoon. Top guilds may even be able to already (in my guild we only just got our first 45* in LS TB. We still rely on filling platoons).

Then it is simple, if you are f2p, do not expect to fill platoons. Anything that you can fill is a bonus. Filling platoons gives you an advantage, that advantage is paid for by other players.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Then it is simple, if you are f2p, do not expect to fill platoons. Anything that you can fill is a bonus. Filling platoons gives you an advantage, that advantage is paid for by other players.

You might want to refresh your memory about this old discussion, the topic, and previous posts by rereading it from the top.

I don't disagree with your statements here. I'm fine with the current design. It's crystal clear from our previous discussion. I don't see your point with adressing me. Please explain, if you want to get your message through to me.