Buying Shards With Crystal's?

I was thinking of buying DN / Sion shards for Crystal's. Is it good or dumb? (Dn is viable a lower stars and i think sion is too also I'm level 55 working on palp lead arena team)

Replies

• Personally, I don't find it a good value. I have in the past, but now avoid the temptation. Crystals are best spent on refreshes for the most part.
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    So, it's not a good value. Refreshes will typically cost you less crystals. However, if you determine value as speed then it is much faster. Depending on the character you might find more "value" by spending crystals.

Basically value can be defined by everyone differently. Speed vs cost. It's faster but more costly.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    No, it is not an effective use of crystal when you compare shards gained via crystal versus refresh

But when you consider that you are getting a character at a lower level than you should, its such a clear calculation. I'm not sure if it's the best thing for you to do, but it will get you great characters sooner. I'd do it
  • 80 crystal per shard. Since I'm buying lvl 83-85 requirement charactors who are viable at lower stars seems worth it. Since, my arena rank will prolly be too 25-1
  • I’d probably focus on Sion first since he unlocks at 25 shards, if I remember right, and even if not with an EP lead the biggest thing that team needs is a tank. Nihilus at lower levels will help you clear GW since you can keep your team’s health up with his lead, but if you’ve got Phoenix (best to unlock palps at lower levels and a must for thrawn), you’re pretty much set on GW as you can use empire for the one or two team that Phoenix will have trouble beating.
    But yes, they could be worth it, depending on whether or not you still need the crystals for refreshes (your Ezra and Hera are likely around 5* if you’ve been refreshing them already, which is the min to unlock legendaries and you can worry about 7* once you get better gear/higher level to be able to actually beat the 7* thrawn).
  • Monel wrote: »
    So, it's not a good value. Refreshes will typically cost you less crystals. However, if you determine value as speed then it is much faster. Depending on the character you might find more "value" by spending crystals.

Basically value can be defined by everyone differently. Speed vs cost. It's faster but more costly.

Irs only faster if you spend real money. Otherwise its the same time, but cheaper to farm. Take the 16 shard value...its 1280 crystals in the shop. Lets say you place 1/1, you would need 2 days to save the amount necessary to buy.

In that same two day two period, you could have farmed 8 shards per day at a cost of 400. Assuming decent rng of 2 shards per refresh with 8 attempts per node refresh.

So in two days you get 16 shards either from the shop where you spend 1280, or by farming where you spend 800.
  • DN is a much easier farm elsewhere. But if your willing to forgo refreshes and use crystals on Sion he and Bastilla (my current project since I did same with Sion) are worth the investment. These are two of the biggest meta defining heros in the game right now.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    It can be useful to get you to a good spot, like to unlock, or close out the last star. To farm all the way to 7* from 0 is expensive and unlikely to pay off, unless you have a plan in place that you see working for you.
  • So I feel if you are level 85 with a couple of 60k-90k powered ls / darkside teams it's not good value as refreshes and playing the nodes would treble the shards gained.

However as this section is for new players... That said tou wouldn't be able to unlock characters like darth nihilus until end game level. Getting to dark side 9a and with 3 stars is quite difficult for even seasoned players.

Like others have said even darth nihilus/bastila shan/ talzin /zombie at 4 stars would help arena and raid teams anyway.
  • Buying refreshes with crystals gets you:
    * shards
    * gear
    * in-game currency
    * cantina tokens (cantina battles only)
    * xp (level up faster)

Buying shards with crystals gets you:
    * shards
  • Buying impossible characters to get is the best choice. If u can unlock sion and dn do it. They are meta and work great in arena. All u need is to unlock them.
  • I've spent a lot of crystals on shards on two occasions:

To get Tie Adv for fleet
    To get Sion to 4* for Empire squad

Both of these pushed me into top 10 fleet and top 50 arena, and allowed me to continue the extra crystals daily. If you get them early enough, they actually pay for themselves and become free. It's true that the energy increase is more efficient, perhaps moreso now that you can farm Bastila at lower levels, but those two purchases for me as a F2P were priceless in my progress.
  • Thanks to Traya and getting high in arena I started having crystals on bossk to 7*. It does help a good bit I got him to 7* much quicker than usual. Buying 4shards is like buying a day and a half. It builds up over time could cut your farming time by a month. Depends on your crystal situation of course
  • Don't spend crystals on shards, as the famous AA says...

ITS A TRAP
  • Bosskisboss
    10 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Buying sion right now and have 10.75mil gold saved and some good speed and health mods wait for him... the only one problem. The **** store won't release him for 320.But yes sion is worth it I guess.