Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge

DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited September 2018
Article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/09/08/microsoft-windows-7-monthly-charge-windows-10-free-upgrade-cost/#56b5a26f2db1

"In a new blog post entitled “Helping customers shift to a modern desktop”, Microsoft has announced that it will indeed start charging Windows 7 customers a monthly fee from January 14th 2020, if they want to keep their computers safe. "

"Worse still, as it stands, Microsoft is currently only making this offer to Windows 7 Professional customers in Volume Licensing. Some small businesses may qualify, but the vast majority of everyday consumers (most of whom are running Windows 7 Home) will not. "

Replies

• Thanks for the heads up. That suuuuucksss eggs
  • Thanks for the heads up. That suuuuucksss eggs

Well, I kinda see both sides. They want to focus on Windows 10. Many do not want to update. Singing those OS blues..
  • Sorry, but this is a click-bait post title... This is honestly, not news. Windows 7 was released in October 2009. Microsoft OS' have 5 years of mainstream support, and 5 years of extended support. That's 10 years they are releasing patches for it. This has been their lifecycle for so long. Every time one comes close the world freaks out, just like with XP/Server 2003 4 years ago. It is good to plan ahead though (I have hundreds of 2008/R2 servers at work we're working to shut down before January 2020).
  • Waterman wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is a click-bait post title... This is honestly, not news. Windows 7 was released in October 2009. Microsoft OS' have 5 years of mainstream support, and 5 years of extended support. That's 10 years they are releasing patches for it. This has been their lifecycle for so long. Every time one comes close the world freaks out, just like with XP/Server 2003 4 years ago. It is good to plan ahead though (I have hundreds of 2008/R2 servers at work we're working to shut down before January 2020).

I don't do click bait, or argue with 1 post experts.
  • What can I say, the post caught my eye and actually got me to register here instead of lurking. Either way it's good to get people to think of upgrading (which now usually means buying a new PC) before that January 2020 date.
  • EA_Cian
    971 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Let's dial it down a notch, please. No need to call out post counts, and no need to accost folks for sharing thread titles. Yes, occasionally thread titles are problematic but I wouldn't say this is one and there's no need to call it out.
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    You know, Microsoft doesn't technically force you to pay for windows 10 on a new personal computer. If you can deal with the watermark and having to go to a picture itself to change the background instead of right-clicking on the desktop, you can just click "Register Later" or "Skip" or whatever both times it comes up during installation and you're good to go.... albeit with the watermark reminder in the lower right-hand corner.

Not recommended (or possibly even allowed) on a business pc however.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    EOL is a fact of life with computers. Coupled with you can only patch and update for so long until a rewrite is needed. Legacy code etc. I still say 386 was the most stable processor, and Win 3.11 workgroups was the most stable windows lol
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Problem is I still can't get any of my old SW games like Tie Fighter, Alliance, Xwing to run on anything after Windows 7....which really stinks