Is there any f2p crystal gaining method anymore?

Intrapidoo
373 posts Member
edited September 2018
Hello, before i start no i dont want any of the generic answers from any moderators so if you want to start writing please dont.

I just realized how behind we f2p people are and no i dont mean the long grind thats part of the game and is accepted, but on a day to day basis.

Now the only decent chance to earn crystals is fleet arena because squad arena is ruled by shard chat and whales. Now that you released the hounds tooth and now cad banes ship, you basically screwed over everyone who spent months into gearing and farming the 3 geos and trying to find the best reinforcement setup for them. The geo characters are useless outside of fleet arena so for those who farmed them its lost investment, what people will do is spend money on fleet instantly get to top ranks and get locked there because of shard chats.

Technically speaking, i currently farm the 2 vets with 3 refresh a day and get roughly 5-10 shards per day. Without a good fleet rank which was till now obtainable as f2p this would be impossible. We try so hard to prepare for the sith raid but how? We spent a huge amount on a good fleet rank so we can farm with refreshes but if thats taken away how long will it take to farm out teams?6 months per character so 2 years per team because of all the single 20 energy node farm?

It would be time to rethink your strategy as far as the concept of the game which you destroy with rapid pace.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    METAs do change. You might as well accept it.

Fleet META had been stale for ages until the large update (ships 2.0). I see no problem with changing METAs in fleet arena as well.

F2p players can still rank 1st in squad arena and fleet arena regularly. You yourself may not be able to, but then that's not because you are f2p.

Your calculations are quite a bit off. You can farm several characters at the same time. Claiming that it takes 2 years to farm a new team is silly.

But agree with you. You should rethink your strategy, if you can't ear sufficient amount crystals.
  • KausDebonair
    1293 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I’m f2p and can’t afford 3 refreshes per day on hard nodes and I do just fine with crystals.

EDIT: I’m over 2 million GP and have JTR, CLS, and Thrawn. I rank between 80 and 150 in arena and hover 30-35 in fleet arena.
  • 3 hard node refreshes per day equals out to 300 crystals per day. That’s an insane amount of crystals for an f2p person. I have never made that many per day. Between 125-150 from the arenas, and the daily crystals, I get about 200. Maybe.
  • Quite a few F2P can and have been getting per day, 500 from Squad, 400 from Fleet and average of 100 from various daily activities and log in. That’s more than enough to do 3xFleet Energy, 3xCantina Energy, 3xMod Energy and 3xNormal Energy (total 900 crystals). You should have approximately 100 crystals left over daily. And the only hard nodes I have left to farm only costs me 2xNormal energy, so I have about 150 crystals surplus daily.

Personally, I currently have 78k crystals hoarded, and all of it is free, collected purely from in game earnings.
  • Huatimus wrote: »

Personally, I currently have 78k crystals hoarded, and all of it is free, collected purely from in game earnings.

why?
  • five2zero
    512 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Both Arena are dominated by Mafia and CG is laughing
  • Boov wrote: »
    Huatimus wrote: »

why?

@Boov

So that I can have the resources to buy the next big Arena Meta Marquee character if I want to. The key to staying relevant in Squad Arena is to hoard resources and then show hand every few meta. If you always start farming for the most current meta, you'll be irrelevant by the time you finish farming. I skipped Nest, not because it isn't strong, but because my current Arena Squad doesn't need it to climb to 1st.

CWgxuCK.png

fseDV0d.png

I should be pretty safe for the next big meta change. :D
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Intrapidoo wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    METAs do change. You might as well accept it.

Fleet META had been stale for ages until the large update (ships 2.0). I see no problem with changing METAs in fleet arena as well.

F2p players can still rank 1st in squad arena and fleet arena regularly. You yourself may not be able to, but then that's not because you are f2p.

Your calculations are quite a bit off. You can farm several characters at the same time. Claiming that it takes 2 years to farm a new team is silly.

But agree with you. You should rethink your strategy, if you can't ear sufficient amount crystals.

Yeah maybe my calculation is a bit over the top but for example i see people getting 8-9 shard of mt in 10 days with a refresh every day so 100 try and 500 crystals for pretty much miniscule amounts. Also zombie is on a single 20 energy hard also and thats just 2 characters of 1 must have team.

Don't forget the monthly events for NS shards. F2p players could easily already have MT and zombie by now. I'm f2p and I've had them both on 7* for several months. Hence, being f2p is not the issue here.
    Boov wrote: »

why?

@Boov

So that I can have the resources to buy the next big Arena Meta Marquee character if I want to. The key to staying relevant in Squad Arena is to hoard resources and then show hand every few meta. If you always start farming for the most current meta, you'll be irrelevant by the time you finish farming. I skipped Nest, not because it isn't strong, but because my current Arena Squad doesn't need it to climb to 1st.

CWgxuCK.png

fseDV0d.png

I really wish I had your willpower.
  • @ChristophIV
    Why not? Try hoarding.

And to add on more to the OP question, I believe all the TB and TW also rewards crystals.
  • There's being safe and there's the amount of resources you've hoarded. Seems to me you could atleast put half of what you've hoarded to better use and still be safe and then some.
    It's like living in a shed with 500k on your bank account just in case you need to buy something essential for your wellbeing. The shed might be all you "need", but i'd still prefer a nice appartment and just 250k on my bank account. Certainly because income doesn't seem to be an issue for you.
    The strategy is solid, no doubt about that, but aren't you overdoing it a bit? I mean, 78k crystals? holy freaking sith, haha.
  • I'd say (to OP), focus on arena/pilots for a while. You should be able to get top 10 in each arena no problem as F2P if those chars are maxed.

Heck, my pilots need work but still get 1st.
    I have noticed that as more people get their arena team to G12+ that I now drop more... Have to use a refresh now but that's the nature of the game.

If you focus mostly on arena/pilots then you can get enough crystals. If you spread your attention then your crystal income will not be great.
    There's being safe and there's the amount of resources you've hoarded. Seems to me you could atleast put half of what you've hoarded to better use and still be safe and then some.
    It's like living in a shed with 500k on your bank account just in case you need to buy something essential for your wellbeing. The shed might be all you "need", but i'd still prefer a nice appartment and just 250k on my bank account. Certainly because income doesn't seem to be an issue for you.
    The strategy is solid, no doubt about that, but aren't you overdoing it a bit? I mean, 78k crystals? holy freaking sith, haha.

@Boov
    Pretty sure I'm not living in a shed. I'd say it's at least a decent apartment by most people's standards. ;)

https://swgoh.gg/p/137721834/
  • I'm mostly free to play bar the odd marquee pack and do okay.

Only time I've spent was on Tie Reaper so since then it's marquee or nothing. If you focus on one arena it's easier. I didn't understand fleet in the beginning and decided to learn a bit. Now I'm a regular top 5 at payout and 300+ crystals a day go to the 'elusive stun gun' charity, lol.

It's only a matter of time before a fleet raid comes and with TB/TW they're more useful now. Get in there early, or arena, and stay on top of it as best you can is my advice.

It can be done :smile:
    There's being safe and there's the amount of resources you've hoarded. Seems to me you could atleast put half of what you've hoarded to better use and still be safe and then some.

Boov
    Pretty sure I'm not living in a shed. I'd say it's at least a decent apartment by most people's standards. ;)

humble bragging like a boss, point remains the same though. With the information you provided i think you could easily poor more resources into your roster without sacrificing your ability to get ahead of the curve when the meta changes.
    I personally think your account would have been better with a 7* nest (since you mentioned her) from the get go, but with 23k less crystals. With the remainiing 55k crystals you'd still be ready for pretty much everything. hindsight is 20/20 ofcourse and you seem to be doing better than atleast 99% of the players, so if i were you i'd keep doing what i was doing. To me your hoarding just seems tad excesive, that's all. Then again, spending 20k crystals on a 3.5m account is hardly noticable..
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Quite a few F2P can and have been getting per day, 500 from Squad, 400 from Fleet and average of 100 from various daily activities and log in. That’s more than enough to do 3xFleet Energy, 3xCantina Energy, 3xMod Energy and 3xNormal Energy (total 900 crystals). You should have approximately 100 crystals left over daily. And the only hard nodes I have left to farm only costs me 2xNormal energy, so I have about 150 crystals surplus daily.

You have 78k crystals and yet your Rose is only G7. Unacceptable.

Serious question: why not get Bastila to 7* for easier and more consistent STR p2 damage? You have enough crystals to 7* three separate marquee toons as soon as they hit shipments.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Fleet is just one of the many sources of crystals.

Crystal income for F2P is out there in some decent quantities for those who are focused on getting it.

Being F2P means you have to make hard and smart choices, chasing the meta is not always the way to go. I never ran bugs but still get top 10 in fleet since the update, I also see players who still run bugs and dont use hounds tooth. They also can take top 10.

You issue seems to be wanting to spend more crystals to accelerate your farming and not being able to generate the income necessary. This will always be an issue, and while fleet is a source of income it probably the easiest to ignore, unless you are going to get top spots regularly.

Anyway, I should have resisted the urge to type as you wanted, but where is the fun in that. :wink:

As you can see from other posters the income is there and it's all about focus and planning.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    @Boov
    @FailingCrab

Yes I could 7* some of those characters, but then I'd also be using up a lot of gear. It is not as though a character magically becomes G12 for free once you 7* it. Might have to spend another 20k crystals just to gear 1 character up to G12.

And my current guild runs through heroic sith a bit too fast. As it is, I barely have enough time to run a second team each phase. 1 extra team for 1 phase of 1 raid doesn't seem like a good enough justification to spend that amount of resources.(3* Bastilla with Zeta is perfectly serviceable in TW) If it were the next big Squad Arena meta change, that will be worth investing as it will contribute towards the long term goal of maintaining crystal income.

Boov

humble bragging like a boss, point remains the same though. With the information you provided i think you could easily poor more resources into your roster without sacrificing your ability to get ahead of the curve when the meta changes.
    I personally think your account would have been better with a 7* nest (since you mentioned her) from the get go, but with 23k less crystals. With the remainiing 55k crystals you'd still be ready for pretty much everything. hindsight is 20/20 ofcourse and you seem to be doing better than atleast 99% of the players, so if i were you i'd keep doing what i was doing. To me your hoarding just seems tad excesive, that's all. Then again, spending 20k crystals on a 3.5m account is hardly noticable..

Remember the first arrival of JTR? Only f2p with some crystal hoarded was able to finish the vets. This time around maybe a Solo leg will arrive or old republic one will before the natural map refresh farming speed can catch up. I think it's a solid tactic (which I won't do anyways xD).
  • OP: there are other sources of crystals, but they are very limited. Fleet and squad arenas are your best bet. I personally focus on fleet, since in my shard squads are dominated by traya, and I don’t have a viable counter/not in an HSTR guild yet (though we’re close...). If you can’t beat HT teams, attack the other teams. Depending on the age of your shard, there shouldn’t be that many since a 4* HT is not as good as Biggs, and most players don’t want to spend that many crystals to 7* HT. There are 1 or 2 teams in my shard that I have trouble with, too. I just go around them, and still usually get to #1 by payout (as long as I have time to play). If you want to be able to keep your fleet going though, you’re going to have to invest some of your resources to stay on the top. Also, you may want to switch up your team/strategy as necessary if you start dropping too far on defense (the real test of whether your team is good or not). Have you tried reinforcement Ashoka Tano? If you’ve got her reinforcement ability maxed and you’ve been stacking prot up on HT, she’ll remove all stacks and gain a lot of max health. Wedge and Gauntlet will both apply buff immunity. Tons of ships dispel.

why?

@Boov

CWgxuCK.png

fseDV0d.png

You’re not seriously saying you’re free to play are you .? maybe after spending $1000 then stopping 😏
  • Intrapidoo wrote: »
    Hello, before i start no i dont want any of the generic answers from any moderators so if you want to start writing please dont.

I just realized how behind we f2p people are and no i dont mean the long grind thats part of the game and is accepted, but on a day to day basis.

Now the only decent chance to earn crystals is fleet arena because squad arena is ruled by shard chat and whales. Now that you released the hounds tooth and now cad banes ship, you basically screwed over everyone who spent months into gearing and farming the 3 geos and trying to find the best reinforcement setup for them. The geo characters are useless outside of fleet arena so for those who farmed them its lost investment, what people will do is spend money on fleet instantly get to top ranks and get locked there because of shard chats.

Technically speaking, i currently farm the 2 vets with 3 refresh a day and get roughly 5-10 shards per day. Without a good fleet rank which was till now obtainable as f2p this would be impossible. We try so hard to prepare for the sith raid but how? We spent a huge amount on a good fleet rank so we can farm with refreshes but if thats taken away how long will it take to farm out teams?6 months per character so 2 years per team because of all the single 20 energy node farm?

It would be time to rethink your strategy as far as the concept of the game which you destroy with rapid pace.

I could see a that CG wanted to stop the crystal flow for players not spending money for quite a while now, and I agree with pretty much everything you said, flooding the game with new overpowered ships that can’t be beaten after players just finishing Geo’s is an insult.

It isn’t going to stop, all I can see is things getting worse...👌🏻
  • I am 100% ftp and regularly score in the top ten of both arenas.

The top of my arena is full of traya leads that are 6 or 7 stars now. They are still beatable. The last meta I worked at to get was ep and still run it. Ep without traya can beat traya and bastilla if modded right. I fall into the 30s or 40s overnight but you can still get top rankings for a 50 crystal refresh. That still nets 300 or 400 crystals.

For fleet, I still run tfp, vader, and biggs under tarkin. I can beat enough teams to get to the top 10 easily and usually top 5. My fleet arena is a mix of buggs and teams similar to my own. There are a few hts but not many. Btw they aren't hard to deal with. Tfp's special puts buff immunity on it and then it dies quickly with like two more hits. Just because buggs struggle doesn't make it unbeatable. So I get another 300 crystals a day or so from there.

So added to the 100 to 200 you get from just dailies and such ftp can get 800 to 900 per day.

If you use them to farm good characters you can adapt when the meta changes. I'm currently refreshing hard nodes and doing six refreshes a day on that since it is the bottle neck. I'll have 7 star bossk and 7 star bastilla soon by doing this. I don't refresh fleet nodes or cantina at the moment because they aren't a bottleneck at the moment and the refresh at fleet is the most expensive way to farm bastilla and jolee other than the store. And I'm skipping nest for now because she likely isnt going to be needed for anything big and I do fine without her.

I fully plan to be ready for a bh, kotor, or possible solo legendary since that'll shift the meta. Getting that by at the very least second time, is important to stay at the top.