Is F2P alive and well?

Yes.

Replies

• It always was and always will

Just some impatient people can't cope with the grind :smile:

• No_Try wrote: »
    Yes.

Actually if you are an older player you may stand a chance but how can you say that to a new player? There's no F2P tools to compete against someone who decides to whale out on a Marquee character. So better than "yes" would be "it depends". Me as a 2 plus year veteran, I have plenty of tools to beat some of those broken squads that are p2p, someone who's been in the game for a few months doesn't.
    DarthGazza wrote: »
    It always was and always will

Well you're being unfair, if the grind was equal for everyone then it would be a different story. Whales don't have to grind, whales can have the newest toon g12+ before you can even sneeze. I would appreciate a game where everyone has to grind for certain stuff equally.

Patience doesn't come easily when your rank is being bumped up in arena and your crystal income reduces, which only widens the game further. We've had many Marquee characters recently who were game changers in arena and weren't available to F2P, sure my JTR can beat anything but Traya in arena but she drops significantly more ranks overnight than Traya or Bastila.
  • Its alive and well.... but more people movedto dolphin status for a few of the recent marquees
  • AssassinoAlexis
    134 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    There's something fundamentally wrong with telling people that everything HAS to be a grind. Personally I would appreciate some honesty. You can flat out say that make it so grindy because we want to squeeze out as many refreshes as possible to make an extra 10% on the character. Instead of come up with, pardon my language, excuses such as: "it's the sense of accomplishment", "the grind make it feel more rewarding", ect.

First of all you know what's rewarding, winning in arena and being able to use those characters soon after they come out not 6-9 months later. A food tastes batter when it's warm, not cold. Also the sense of accomplishment is a totally objective thing. Just because YOU love grinds and YOU have a sense of accomplishment, it doesn't mean that I and everyone else must share the same feelings and values. So the devs decided that a 6 month hard node grind feels good to them so they must impose that on every player? Nah that's just an excuse.

Lastly, the contradiction is so MASSIVE that I can't even describe it. You see all these whales on this forum trying to talk to others about patience! Like seriously bro you literally just bought 300$ worth of crystals to max a character out and who know how much more on gear and you lecture me about patience?!?!? For real if you have patience, if you love to grind, if you want the sense of accomplishment then why did you just spent 300 to avoid all that? Perhaps because you're a hypocrite and a liar?

But ohh well, whether or not people admit it it's all about money and that's FINE by me, but don't act like f2p is nearly as enjoyable.
    Post edited by Kyno on
    Yes.

Actually if you are an older player you may stand a chance but how can you say that to a new player? There's no F2P tools to compete against someone who decides to whale out on a Marquee character. So better than "yes" would be "it depends". Me as a 2 plus year veteran, I have plenty of tools to beat some of those broken squads that are p2p, someone who's been in the game for a few months doesn't.

Well you're being unfair, if the grind was equal for everyone then it would be a different story. Whales don't have to grind, whales can have the newest toon g12+ before you can even sneeze. I would appreciate a game where everyone has to grind for certain stuff equally.

Patience doesn't come easily when your rank is being bumped up in arena and your crystal income reduces, which only widens the game further. We've had many Marquee characters recently who were game changers in arena and weren't available to F2P, sure my JTR can beat anything but Traya in arena but she drops significantly more ranks overnight than Traya or Bastila.

Now I can't really talk about the new player situation, that would be a whole another topic which I'm not accustomed with. So I'll leave the benefit of doubt there.

Though looks like your overall rhetoric revolves around some sense of equality. How do you presume that can ever happen in a free to play/in game purchases game?
    No_Try wrote: »
    Yes.

Now I can't really talk about the new player situation, that would be a whole another topic which I'm not accustomed with. So I'll leave the benefit of doubt there.

Though looks like your overall rhetoric revolves around some sense of equality. How do you presume that can ever happen in a free to play/in game purchases game?

Not this game because there's nothing cosmetic they can add which wouldn't affect the game play. However could suggest a couple things:

1. Lower price tags
    2. Fewer Marquee and more achievement type of characters like Rolo and IPD
    3. Characters not going straight into hard nodes, utilizing stores

Of course that would significantly reduce the profits for the game so it will not happen
  • There's something fundamentally wrong with telling people that everything HAS to be a grind. Personally I would appreciate some honesty. You can flat out say that make it so grindy because we want to squeeze out as many refreshes as possible to make an extra 10% on the character. Instead of come up with, pardon my language, **** excuses such as: "it's the sense of accomplishment", "the grind make it feel more rewarding", ect.

First of all you know what's rewarding, winning in arena and being able to use those characters soon after they come out not 6-9 months later. A food tastes batter when it's warm, not cold. Also the sense of accomplishment is a totally objective thing. Just because YOU love grinds and YOU have a sense of accomplishment, it doesn't mean that I and everyone else must share the same feelings and values. So the devs decided that a 6 month hard node grind feels good to them so they must impose that on every player? Nah that's just an excuse.

Lastly, the contradiction is so MASSIVE that I can't even describe it. You see all these whales on this forum trying to talk to others about patience! Like seriously bro you literally just bought 300$ worth of crystals to max a character out and who know how much more on gear and you lecture me about patience?!?!? For real if you have patience, if you love to grind, if you want the sense of accomplishment then why did you just spent 300 to avoid all that? Perhaps because you're a hypocrite and a liar?

But ohh well, whether or not people admit it it's all about money and that's FINE by me, but don't act like f2p is nearly as enjoyable.

I'm f2p. The game is one big grind, grinds nested inside other grinds. There is no grand purpose or end to it. It's by design.

But to be more specific, can you point out a toon that wasn't arena viable in it's marque free for all state?

Since you've been around when there was no marquess and there was tournaments, aerodiums with no f2p access to new toons which one do you prefer?
    Yes.

Not this game because there's nothing cosmetic they can add which wouldn't affect the game play. However could suggest a couple things:

1. Lower price tags
    2. Fewer Marquee and more achievement type of characters like Rolo and IPD
    3. Characters not going straight into hard nodes, utilizing stores

Of course that would significantly reduce the profits for the game so it will not happen

I agree with all these points. They are erring on one side too much right now. It fluctuates.
  • Waqui wrote: »

I'm aware of the topic, launched this one as a giggley response to it.
    There's something fundamentally wrong with telling people that everything HAS to be a grind. Personally I would appreciate some honesty. You can flat out say that make it so grindy because we want to squeeze out as many refreshes as possible to make an extra 10% on the character. Instead of come up with, pardon my language, **** excuses such as: "it's the sense of accomplishment", "the grind make it feel more rewarding", ect.

I'm f2p. The game is one big grind, grinds nested inside other grinds. There is no grand purpose or end to it. It's by design.

But to be more specific, can you point out a toon that wasn't arena viable in it's marque free for all state?

Since you've been around when there was no marquess and there was tournaments, aerodiums with no f2p access to new toons which one do you prefer?

Since g12 became available to only 7 star toons I would argue that most toons aren't viable in arena in this state. At least on defense because on offense you can probably get away with a W. But you'll be a target if you leave g11s on your team.

Tournaments could definitely be improved so that they are more fair and avoid cheating but they are not optimal. I don't think that Marquee is so bad, what's bad about it is the grind that follows. I would completely end the single hard node fashion and utilize the stores more, even GW and Arena stores. I would rather have them add 1 month of shipments only and then put them in a store than have them on a 6 month grind.

But the reason they won't do it is because on a hard node they achieve 2 things, more energy refreshes, more attempt resets and when you spend energy on character farming then you can't spend it on gear. So that's a win win for them because we trade gear for shards.
    There's something fundamentally wrong with telling people that everything HAS to be a grind. Personally I would appreciate some honesty. You can flat out say that make it so grindy because we want to squeeze out as many refreshes as possible to make an extra 10% on the character. Instead of come up with, pardon my language, **** excuses such as: "it's the sense of accomplishment", "the grind make it feel more rewarding", ect.

Since g12 became available to only 7 star toons I would argue that most toons aren't viable in arena in this state. At least on defense because on offense you can probably get away with a W. But you'll be a target if you leave g11s on your team.

Tournaments could definitely be improved so that they are more fair and avoid cheating but they are not optimal. I don't think that Marquee is so bad, what's bad about it is the grind that follows. I would completely end the single hard node fashion and utilize the stores more, even GW and Arena stores. I would rather have them add 1 month of shipments only and then put them in a store than have them on a 6 month grind.

But the reason they won't do it is because on a hard node they achieve 2 things, more energy refreshes, more attempt resets and when you spend energy on character farming then you can't spend it on gear. So that's a win win for them because we trade gear for shards.

Now that your cards are on the table I agree with all of them.

"But the reason they won't do it is because on a hard node they achieve 2 things, more energy refreshes, more attempt resets and when you spend energy on character farming then you can't spend it on gear. So that's a win win for them because we trade gear for shards."

I think their main purpose here is to endorse spending more than trying to keep f2p at bay. It sure creates minnow/guppies that would never buy a 300$ character but drop some on crystal crates/refreshes especially if they are not high in their arena.
  • There's something fundamentally wrong with telling people that everything HAS to be a grind. Personally I would appreciate some honesty. You can flat out say that make it so grindy because we want to squeeze out as many refreshes as possible to make an extra 10% on the character. Instead of come up with, pardon my language, excuses such as: "it's the sense of accomplishment", "the grind make it feel more rewarding", ect.

it's a shame you don't realize how much you actually like the grind. While it's obviously true that ea/cg only made this game to make money, there have been grindy games long before there even was a freemium model in wich you could pay to win.
    I'd also argue that f2p is actually more fun than p2p, but that's a personal opinion. I for one can't imagine what is fun about playing this game with a fully maxed roster. I would definately like this game a whole lot less if i had unlimited crystals. I can understand ocasional spending, but to me it's not worth it and there's just something about remaining completely f2p that i enjoy. A point of pride if you will. Unlocking a legendary character because of carefull planning and resource management just isn't the same as unlocking a legendary character by just dropping some bills on the game.
    That said, i think single hard node (5 attempts daily) toons are just too slow to be fun. That's where i draw the line, especially because there are so many of them currently.
    Yes.

it seems f2p will die slowly

do you see how many crystals you need to keep up the farm?

150 crystals normal energy
    300 crystals cantina energy
    150 crystals mods energy
    200 crystals (at least) in ships energy

cause all "intelligent" guys are doing that so they dont are with pants down when a legendary event comes, right?

and who can do that? the ones who hit daily 1st in ships and normal arena. ive been doing it.

but now slowly ship arena becomes a whale thing, hounds tooth?? crazy OP unbalanced ship when whaled (dont deny it) and now we are getting new marquee ships reinforcing that whale game???

ok say goodbye to ships podium, and im not crying for nothing. maxed geos, maxed ties, maxed capital ships and im already having problems against HT ..imagine when all the scoundrel ships are ready and working.

goodbye f2p
  • Boov wrote: »
    There's something fundamentally wrong with telling people that everything HAS to be a grind. Personally I would appreciate some honesty. You can flat out say that make it so grindy because we want to squeeze out as many refreshes as possible to make an extra 10% on the character. Instead of come up with, pardon my language, excuses such as: "it's the sense of accomplishment", "the grind make it feel more rewarding", ect.

it's a shame you don't realize how much you actually like the grind. While it's obviously true that ea/cg only made this game to make money, there have been grindy games long before there even was a freemium model in wich you could pay to win.
    I'd also argue that f2p is actually more fun than p2p, but that's a personal opinion. I for one can't imagine what is fun about playing this game with a fully maxed roster. I would definately like this game a whole lot less if i had unlimited crystals. I can understand ocasional spending, but to me it's not worth it and there's just something about remaining completely f2p that i enjoy. A point of pride if you will. Unlocking a legendary character because of carefull planning and resource management just isn't the same as unlocking a legendary character by just dropping some bills on the game.
    That said, i think single hard node (5 attempts daily) toons are just too slow to be fun. That's where i draw the line, especially because there are so many of them currently.

I will present you with a couple facts which might change your mind, first of all when you say that you wouldn't have fun if you had unlimited crystals, all you have to do is look at the game changers with their tests accounts. They obviously are having way more fun with unlimited resources. They are able to test a variety of squads and figure out synergies and squads on their own. The possibilities that would emerge in raids having the ability to use every toon in the roster are imense and certainly worth it to many people.

Second fact is that those who can, do maintain maxed out accounts. It's not like they got to the game one day, maxed everything out and then decided that they didn't like it and regret it. They know what it's like to have a maxed account but when new characters come out they still max them out day 1. If they didn't enjoy a maxed account they would just stop at a certain point and make it a personal challenge to grind all the incoming toons from that point on, but they don't.

But if you're asking about me, I'm literally somewhere in the middle. I 100% disagree with you that there is merrit to everything being a grind but I would not like having unlimited crystals and maxed account. I would much rather be somewhere in the middle, I would love to have a few characters on the grind as an achievement and also to be able to have quick access to squads I see on YouTube if I wanted to.

You think people enjoy the grind, I'm still sitting on g8 for half of my phoenix. You think after over a year I wouldn't want to play them? My ewoks are still g5-8 and I don't have wicket at 7 stars yet. My FO only has 3 toons at g11, everyone else is 5-8 with 0 zetas total. I have geared 2 bounty Hunters total, noone of the solo toons. My R1 is g8 except chirrut. And if I go on you will realize quickly that the grind is actually not so good.

The amounts of possibilities and squads that I would have wanted to try in certain phases of certain raids is huge and I know I'll never do it. I know I'll never spare 2 stun guns on Kanan or Zeb, I know I won't gear my clones ever. I can't see where you see the benefit
    Yes.

I agree with most of that pal.

I meant that people should know their team strength and not be worried about Arena position etc. That will come in time. Stay patient, save your crystals and get Bastila 4 star if you must.

Concentrate on 1 toon in each Store and move on to another once you 7 star them.

Join a friendly guild that takes "weaker" members. Borrow heroes/villains from guild mates to beat tougher stages. Apply gear to certain toons and not spread them around.

• DarthGazza wrote: »
    Yes.

I agree with most of that pal.

I meant that people should know their team strength and not be worried about Arena position etc. That will come in time. Stay patient, save your crystals and get Bastila 4 star if you must.

Concentrate on 1 toon in each Store and move on to another once you 7 star them.

Join a friendly guild that takes "weaker" members. Borrow heroes/villains from guild mates to beat tougher stages. Apply gear to certain toons and not spread them around.

I have been able to stay competitive because I don't spread myself too thin with gear and resources, I'm fairly satisfied with my current progress in the game but that means that I have also come to terms with knowing that I'll never be able to to use my phoenix, or my FO, or my clones, or my R1, or my ewoks, or my scoundrels, οr any other toon which isn't really needed for something major. Personally it does hurt at times to know that there are so many major factions which I won't ever have a chance to play because the rate of characters release along with the long hard node grinds means I'll simply NEVER in a 100 years be able to catch up unless I pay. Using fictional numbers to give you an idea, if the game releases 20 characters each year it will allow f2P to only be able to max out 8-10 the other 10 will be left at g 5-8 without mods just sitting on the side to NEVER be used unless someone figures out a use for them.