Why have arena if you have to be in a shard chat to succeed?

I want to be competitive and everyday I am forced into a rotation with people who cannot beat me without help.

Why not institute a system where we attain crystals for successful attacks? With 5 successful attacks achieving the highest payout.

You can even put in bonuses weekly. Perform 10 successful attacks with Jedi get a bonus. Next week switch it to sith. Something but I can change guilds daily if I wanted but these people whom I am supposed to be adversarial with I am forced to cooperate with daily.

Replies

• Options
    You don't have to cooperate with them. Demand first place every day.
  • Options
    You do have to cooperate because maybe the people in your payout cannot beat you but then the rest help the person who stayed in shard chat. So you are forced to assimilate or die.
  • Options
    It is a totally lame way. My favorite rationale is if we compete EA wins because the crystals we expend or the crystals we cost our shardmates are crystals EA makes. And my answer is every crystal one of my shard mates don't get that I do is a win for me as an individual. That is the spirit of arena is it not?
  • Options
    Can a question actually be feedback?

@CG_SBCrumb ?
  • Options
    I never understood why shardchats helped out guys who couldn't win on offence. If you can't win on offence you don't deserve a top rank.
    I'm fine with sharing the rewards if that requires less effort and i don't always have to be online at pay-out, but only because we can all beat eachother.
  • Options
    Boov wrote: »
    I never understood why shardchats helped out guys who couldn't win on offence. If you can't win on offence you don't deserve a top rank.
    I'm fine with sharing the rewards if that requires less effort and i don't always have to be online at pay-out, but only because we can all beat eachother.

Because if the meta changes and you cannot win they would be required to give you help. Been at the top for well over 2 years. If I lose the meta it would be my fault. I wouldn't expect help.
  • Options
    In my arena chat, each "payout time" sets their own rules. My payout time has a friendly rotation. Earlier, we would race and commit to not bumping each other, but you had to win your rank.

Other payout times on my shard have static formations (i.e. the same players are the same ranks 1-10 every day).

You aren't required to help your shardmates. You could refuse to change your team just to help them. Not helping them is different than actively "harming" them (like ninjaing their rank at payout or something). Heck, maybe your refusal to help them will light a fire under them to improve and do better!

I'm just pointing out that you aren't forced to rotate. You are choosing to do it, because you feel the alternative will be more costly.
  • Options
    It would burn additional crystals, but you could initiate a battle, and when the timer ran out, refresh immediately and start another 5 minute battle.

If they get other payout players to chain you down it could have consequences, but it all depends on how your chat operates.
  • Options
    I feel fortunate than my shard mates are cool, and we have a good rapport and a friendly rotation. If someone is unavailable that day, they let the others know so everyone bumps up a rank.

If my payout were an hour earlier, instead of rotating top 4, I'd be in the 6-10 slice, though. That's about 1300 crystals a week difference for me.
  • Options
    dabro119 wrote: »
    That is the problem. I have to make a choice in a environment that is supposed to be competitive to actually make it competitive.

Heh. You're choosing to make it not competitive. :) Tell them you refuse to rotate - instant competition.
  • Options
    The primary advantage of an arena chat is not wasting attacks.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    dabro119 wrote: »
    And my payout partner barely makes it most days. So I'm like checking in at 7 til to see if he made it because he knows we got this rotation. He isn't considerate enough to say hey I'm struggling. He has literally pinged me at 5 til saying move so he can take my spot because he can't make it to his.

So I can't say let's race cause I would win everyday because I don't drop because I have the meta team with good mods and he has a sub par team and worse mods.

How about you make some new rules, then? If only the two of you share payout, then disallow attacking each other for any reason at all outside of top—3(or top 5), but if both of you are in top—3 (or top 5), you are free to attack at will and battle it out.

That's how we do it on my alt's fleet shard on my payout.

This way if the other guy doesn't make it to the top without attacking you, then it's not your problem.

• Options
    I come first or 2nd in Arena and don't use an arena chat ;) Will forever be against em'
    In fact I go after people I suspect are in cahoots, watch the times they are the highest and snipe them outside my arena payout times, cause take that cheaters who chat!
  • Options
    Not really needed I’ll just send a message if someone attacks me down I’ll beat them right after as long as u can beat people shouldn’t have a problem they will skip u or only bump down one so u don’t have to climb as far close to payout. The same goes vice versa if I attack someone they immediately attack back I’ll be in same spot so I just go around them to save attacks problem solve if u can beat them all shouldn’t have a problem climbing just get better
  • Options
    For example just checked dropped from 7 to 15 not even people’s payout times because no one moves during this time time to refresh and send a message and put me back in position for payout later. First 7-10 then 10-15 know each player dropping them all
  • Options
    It’s an absolutely terrible system, and this is coming from someone who gets the max benefit from it because I’m in a payout all by myself so I can take 1st uncontested every day. But it’s not changing, so might as well get used to it.
  • Options
    As someone who got tired of competing all the **** time in a year long cut throat battle with people who are now friends because we all decided it didn’t make sense to burn through all those crystals, I’ll tell you sometimes shard chats make sense.

You don’t have to share if you don’t want to. If I had the desire to still compete the same way I used to, I would be.

I don’t share with normies.

Moreover, I’ve been in a position where I’ve been behind the meta and if I can’t figure out the counter before I get the meta then I don’t think I deserve the spot. That only lasts for a day or so before I spend all sorts of crystals to make sure I can win. I don’t particularly like to lose. The point is, if someone can’t win then who cares? Let them worry about figuring it out.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    TimmyHutch wrote: »
    You all act as if clock blocking doesn't exist...

It exists. It's not a problem. It's part of the challenge and part of the tools.
  • Options
    TimmyHutch wrote: »
    You all act as if clock blocking doesn't exist...

Work around it.

Set yourself in the position you want. Then, at a random time, start your match. You could wait until the match is over but a better idea is to forfeit the match yourself. Refresh right away and lock yourself again.

Or, set yourself in a position to snipe. Snipe. Then, refresh right away to hold the position.

There was one particular bully in our ship shard once. Always wanted to be first and have others block for him. He would snipe anyone and everyone. I wasn’t part of the shard chat and I could still see what was going on. At the time I didn’t really want to be a part of the chat but that was neither here nor there.

A couple of times, I went in, got into 5 because if I’m going to snipe a bully I’ll do it from the worst possible position for them, sniped him about twenty minutes out, won easily, let the clock run down (this was still 7.5 minutes for ships), refreshed right away to lock up 2, let the timer run down again, retreated at a random time with less than a minute to go, refreshed again and let the timer run down to 0. As a side note, the tantrum thrown in the shard chat was glorious from what I understand.

You may say that’s a lot of crystals spent and the reward wasn’t all that great. Sometimes you have to prove a point.