TW Matchmaking Solution

CaptainRex
2840 posts Member
edited September 2018
The Problem: Guilds, either on purpose, or on accident, are not joining TW with all 50 members. As such, since TW matchmaking is based on active GP (which it should be), they are facing weaker guilds and can easily steamroll them.
The Solution (maybe?): I don't think a fix to this will come from changing the matchmaking algorithm. I see way too many variables and potential problems.
However, what if we based the rewards on total guild GP, not just active GP? So, if a 120M guild drops down a bracket and ends up facing a 110M guild, the 110M guild (assuming they lose) will receive the 2nd place rewards from the 120M GP bracket.
This won't help with bragging rights, but the increase in rewards would help soothe the loss right?
#CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).

Replies

• Many cases people don't sign up for TW because they won't be able to participate. We ask our people to join only if they can participate because it is a big issue if they join and don't do anything. Your solution is perfect. There is no reason the losing team shouldn't get the rewards for the bracket they are playing in.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • 49 or 50 players....its not about active GP
    at least 10 last TWs our guild had opponents with higher GP ranging from 5kk+ to 18kk+
    it was the same story at 130kk ; 140kk and 150kk. Now we moved to 160kk+ category. Will see if any changes
  • I don't really like the idea of basing the rewards on the enemy guild's GP, active or total. It makes the rewards even more based on "luck of the draw" than currently is the case. Not to mention that you can get the same rewards for getting annahilated vs higher GP guild as for winning vs an equally matched opponent.
    Maybe only being matched vs guilds with an equal amount of participants would solve the issue of guilds getting matched with weaker guilds due to not everyone signing up.
  • RAYRAY wrote: »
    Many cases people don't sign up for TW because they won't be able to participate. We ask our people to join only if they can participate because it is a big issue if they join and don't do anything. Your solution is perfect. There is no reason the losing team shouldn't get the rewards for the bracket they are playing in.

The losing team is getting the rewards of the bracket they're playing currently... His suggestion is giving them the rewards of the bracket the opposing guild would be playing in if they all signed up.
  • Boov wrote: »
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    Many cases people don't sign up for TW because they won't be able to participate. We ask our people to join only if they can participate because it is a big issue if they join and don't do anything. Your solution is perfect. There is no reason the losing team shouldn't get the rewards for the bracket they are playing in.

The losing team is getting the rewards of the bracket they're playing currently... His suggestion is giving them the rewards of the bracket the opposing guild would be playing in if they all signed up.

I think the losing team should get the rewards that correspond to the Active GP of the team they are fighting, or their active GP, whatever is higher. As it stands, in some cases a lower GP guild can beat a higher gp guild and the winner will get the same rewards as the loser.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • RAYRAY wrote: »
    Boov wrote: »
    RAYRAY wrote: »

I think the losing team should get the rewards that correspond to the Active GP of the team they are fighting, or their active GP, whatever is higher. As it stands, in some cases a lower GP guild can beat a higher gp guild and the winner will get the same rewards as the loser.

Yes, but currently it's based on something that you can controll, your own active GP, whereas it won't be anymore if it's based on the enemy guild's GP.
    Also, what rewards would the other guild get? Based on their own GP or based on the guild that they're matched up with who's in a lower GP bracket (active or total)? If it's on their own active GP or the enemy's GP they would get rewards from a lower reward bracket than the guild they're playing against. So either way it would still result in some guilds getting the same rewards for winning as the other guild gets for losing.
    Another option is to give both guilds rewards based on the total GP of the guild with the most GP. That way the winning would always get significantly better rewards than the guild they beat. However it would make it even more beneficial to drop members in order to get a favourable match because both guilds involved will benefit from it. The one dropping members would get an easier match and the other guild would get better rewards for losing. Somehow that just seems the wrong way to go about it.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    TW matchmaking is based on active GP and effective GP as stated by devs.
    Active being the gp of the members who signed up. Effective being the GP - all units under 6000 GP.

These are both very good tools for matchmaking. In order to deal with having really strong guilds with few players dominating full weak guilds, I have always thought adding an "average GP per participant" as another metric would handle it nicely. To be honest they could replace effective GP with it. Just add one more step where it divides the effective by the number of participants. Though I'd rather they just add it as a new criterium.
  • Well for this one we have 131M GP engaged in the territory war with 49 player registered (Our guild has a total of 133M GP)
    The opposite guild have a total of 148M GP, and they have 48 Player registered.
    If their two best player are not registered (which is very unlikely by the way), they necessarily have more than 140M GP, so how can they have been matched with us ?

And when we compared the toon and zeta possessed the difference is huge in their favor...

It probably will be a slaughter and so it isn't fun for both guild.
    Best TW hare the one with closed end and fair match so the matchmaking should produce that instead of huge difference we see.
  • Shaeis wrote: »
    Well for this one we have 131M GP engaged in the territory war with 49 player registered (Our guild has a total of 133M GP)
    If their two best player are not registered (which is very unlikely by the way), they necessarily have more than 140M GP, so how can they have been matched with us ?

And when we compared the toon and zeta possessed the difference is huge in their favor...

Best TW hare the one with closed end and fair match so the matchmaking should produce that instead of huge difference we see.

See my above comment: It's about effective GP, which is your GP minus all your characters and ships that have less than 6000 GP. This is what they use to match. Active GP only determines the bracket you end up in (number of teams per territory, rewards).
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Woodroward wrote: »
    Shaeis wrote: »
    Well for this one we have 131M GP engaged in the territory war with 49 player registered (Our guild has a total of 133M GP)

See my above comment: It's about effective GP, which is your GP minus all your characters and ships that have less than 6000 GP. This is what they use to match. Active GP only determines the bracket you end up in (number of teams per territory, rewards).

It's supposedly a bit more complex than that.
    matchmaking uses multiple parameters.

As a primary consideration, matchmaking identifies the strongest characters/ships expected to be used by each participant in the Territory War and assigns a value to each roster. Then it looks for the single strongest squads and compares them to each other. Matchmaking then aggregates these criteria for the guild and finds the opponent that is most similar.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/162893/dev-post-matchmaking-clarification-post-3-15/p1

• Guild matching will never be perfect. Imagine if I joined a 50m GP guild. I could put FO, Nightmare,JTR,CLS, Nightsisters, Bastilla Jedi, Phoenix and Rogue 1 on defence. How many 50m GP guilds could overcome that? Not many. I could potentially block opposing guild from taking even a single territory, and use my other toons ad other members teams to smash their defences. Raw GP has been shown to be a useless bench mark in arena and GW, in guild events, it's no different. In a low GP guild I could say I'll block all the starting territories, you guys post trash on def and roll over most guilds even 10-20m gp above us. To make things even they need to identify certain meta squads (treya,nightmare, jtr,cls etc) and balance matchmaking that way. Seriously, what value does a g12+ uggy or lobot add to your guild compard to a g12 + JTR or treya?