Have the 4 Pillars shifted?

Shadowscream
969 posts Member
edited September 2018
Do you think the farming recommendations for new players has “evolved”?
Obviously the core elements like Phoenix, Empire, Characters For Legendary unlocks remains critical and essentially the same

But....
1) Credit Heists - Why Farm Lando (pillar 1) anymore - surely it’s better to focus on BHs (and STH!) including Zam and/or Dengar from the Guild Events Store.
2) Jedi - Bastila should be farmed early as even at 3/4* she makes a bad faction good. Arguable Aayla should be considered a new sideproject. Old Ben is now even more useful than in the past.
3) Rogue One - whilst I get Chaze being part of the 4 pillars, they are a hard farm & I don’t think that critical. I went with Bistan and SRP - it gives me another solid Rebel ship with Target Lock and has helped keep me near the top of my Fleet Arena. PLUS, you still have 5 Rogue One characters with these substitutes.
4) Tarkin before AA....Unlocking the zeta mat challenge as early as possible gives a big headstart in my opinion. I have both characters and use AA for my fleet but lost a lot of potential zeta mats by delaying on getting Tarkin leveled up.
5) Darkside ships - should the Geos (even though only useful in Fleet) be prioritised earlier now they are so solid? Plus they are one of the easiest Farms (Sun Fac himself excluded).

What do you all think?

Replies

• I think your conclusion are pretty good.

I'm working with the pillars as well and I must say, there feel a bit outdated nowadays. But this is only true for the characters and their position within the pillars. I'm still convinced that the order of the teams - which are the core of the pillars - are still correct:

1) Starting with Phoenix as a team is without any doubt the best what you can do as a beginner

2) Preparing for Droid Smuggling and Credit Heist are the 2nd important thing to accomplish

3) Transform into a Imperial Team after getting Palp and Thrawn is pretty obvious - especially with the focus on fleet arena and fleet ability mat challenge, due to the pilots you have in this team

4) Preparing yourself for R2 and CLS as the next todo is straight forward

- this is my status quo

Currently I'm thinking that first order is better than resistance as Pillar 3 main target due to BB8 and Raids

Regarding fleets, I think the order of the characters is outdated. Home One is a decent ship and Chimera is still very powerful but, I'm with you that DS ships, Tarkin and Executrix should be the main target. Adding KRU as a side project in pillar 1 or 2 due to his simultaneous ship farming and powerful ship for fleet (starters?) is a good idea.

I also don't get the focus for LS and DS territorial battles chars so early on. I think it's still ok if you have them in Pillar 3 - side project earliest.

But well, overall the pillars are adjustable for everybody's taste and help a ton focussing on the best team compositions to start.
  • @Shadowscream you are right on the money. A lot has changed in the swgoh landscape this year, so the pillars do need some tweaking. Warrior probably won’t bother with an update until early 2019, though.

Your post here will be good for new players to consider, as they begin to follow that guidance.
  • I wouldn't prioritise Geos, since they're not THAT much better and they're useless outside of fleet unlike Biggs/Vader/TFP/KRU/Boba/etc.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Shadowscream
    969 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I wouldn't prioritise Geos, since they're not THAT much better and they're useless outside of fleet unlike Biggs/Vader/TFP/KRU/Boba/etc.
    Fair point - logically
    TFP, Vader, FOTP, Boba and KRU would be on my list if I started again.
    You need Empire, FO and BHs.
    Plus they can be augmented by the other FO and BH ships in due course.

However it’s worth considering this - assuming using normal daily currency and a 25% drop rate....
    Geo Soldier = 22 days to 7*, his ship = 20 days to 6*
    Geo Spy = 25 days to 7*, his ship = 22 days to 6*
    Sunfac =27 days to 5*, his ship = 28 days to 6*

So they are amongst the quickest to farm ( Sunfac less so)

• I wouldn't prioritise Geos, since they're not THAT much better and they're useless outside of fleet unlike Biggs/Vader/TFP/KRU/Boba/etc.
    Fair point - logically
    TFP, Vader, FOTP, Boba and KRU would be on my list if I started again.
    You need Empire, FO and BHs.
    Plus they can be augmented by the other FO and BH ships in due course.

However it’s worth considering this - assuming using normal daily currency and a 25% drop rate....
    Geo Soldier = 22 days to 7*, his ship = 20 days to 6*
    Geo Spy = 25 days to 7*, his ship = 22 days to 6*
    Sunfac =27 days to 5*, his ship = 28 days to 6*

So they are amongst the quickest to farm ( Sunfac less so)

It's not 7 starring the ship that takes forever. It's the gear crunch. I still run vader, tfp, biggs, and fett in arena because most of them are g11 or g12. I geared them because they were useful in multiple areas.

I still don't have geos geared. It just isn't a priority. The team I have can take 1st in fleet arena and beat any pve content so Geos aren't a must.

Also with ht and cad's ship, it like they have a hard counter now anyway. And tfp can handle ht much better than geos.

I do sub in kru when facing geos to get a stun because that makes it easier but gearing kru up is more useful than gearing geos.

Just my opinion though. So I wouldn't recommend making them a pillar.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Do you think the farming recommendations for new players has “evolved”?
    Obviously the core elements like Phoenix, Empire, Characters For Legendary unlocks remains critical and essentially the same

But....
    1) Credit Heists - Why Farm Lando (pillar 1) anymore - surely it’s better to focus on BHs (and STH!) including Zam and/or Dengar from the Guild Events Store.

I certainly argue bounty hunters or smugglers rather than lando for credit heist
  • I agree with most of all you guys have said.

I did first order as pillar 3 myself (I only loosely followed the pillars as I started Phoenix when I was in level 60's).

I think a 5th pillar should be night sisters for the str as well, or to have them as side projects earlier.

I think vital 'long farms' should be an earlier side project... I can think of like 4-5 must have characters (I'm farming sion, nihilus every day, then am struggling to decide between mt, bossk, bastila, and have totally neglected shore and Baze at this point... And I'm wasting energy on Finn cause he's 68/100 but I'm using cantina to get my vets up before jtr lands again) on a single hard node, and with the 8 a day, that basically eats all the energy + 3 refills.

I am sad Lando isn't really all that useful any more, he was one of my first 7* characters (Biggs, Boba, then Lando, akbar)... But I agree bh could be pillar 2 or just more important side projects in pillar 1
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I fully agree on points 1 and 4.

Regarding 2 and 3:
    I believe, there are more important characters to farm in cantina. Characters needed to unlock legendary/heroic characters. Characters, that I wouldn't delay too much to farm Aayla and SRP. But that's a general dilemma in cantina nodes. There are so many characters to prioritize in a farming order.

Regarding 5:
    I believe GS could be farmed early on instead of Lando, but farming both would again delay the farning of some other important characters.
  • The pillars could definitely do with an update. That was true when KRU became farmable and it's even more true now.

Bounty Hunters have become far more valuable than ever before. When the pillars first came out, they were really only needed to complete the scoundrels team for Credit/Droid Heists.

Now, they still give you that utility, but they also have an Assault Battle (ABs shouldn't be an early game goal, but it's nice to be able to participate when you can), they have their own special event (Galactic Bounties) and TB special mission. But most importantly, they also lead to a Legendary character. This is something that I think should've put FO ahead of Resistance in the original pillars guide as well. Especially since the legendary they lead to could not only help form your Resistance team, but be one of the best parts of it.
  • YKMisfit wrote: »
    The pillars could definitely do with an update. That was true when KRU became farmable and it's even more true now.

Bounty Hunters have become far more valuable than ever before. When the pillars first came out, they were really only needed to complete the scoundrels team for Credit/Droid Heists.

Now, they still give you that utility, but they also have an Assault Battle (ABs shouldn't be an early game goal, but it's nice to be able to participate when you can), they have their own special event (Galactic Bounties) and TB special mission. But most importantly, they also lead to a Legendary character. This is something that I think should've put FO ahead of Resistance in the original pillars guide as well. Especially since the legendary they lead to could not only help form your Resistance team, but be one of the best parts of it.

Don’t forget that they’re also great in the Sith Raid!
  • YKMisfit wrote: »
    The pillars could definitely do with an update. That was true when KRU became farmable and it's even more true now.

Don’t forget that they’re also great in the Sith Raid!

That's true, but if this is a beginners guide, I don't know if sith raid viability should be the focus. I do agree that it's a nice added benefit though.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    I wouldn't prioritise Geos, since they're not THAT much better and they're useless outside of fleet unlike Biggs/Vader/TFP/KRU/Boba/etc.

Yes Geno's got to be meta for 2 weeks before they released HT and the new Only the whales can win ships
  • Dk_rek wrote: »

Yes Geno's got to be meta for 2 weeks before they released HT and the new Only the whales can win ships
    You should watch Warriors Videos recommending Geos....7* Geos with Uniques maxed can still shred HTooth unless it’s maxed. I am pretty sure he will add them to his Pillars when he updates them. If a beginner/FTP player got those 3 maxed out early they would Top their Fleet Arena.
  • You should watch Warriors Videos recommending Geos....7* Geos with Uniques maxed can still shred HTooth unless it’s maxed. I am pretty sure he will add them to his Pillars when he updates them. If a beginner/FTP player got those 3 maxed out early they would Top their Fleet Arena.

HT is kinda like Nest - scary until you know how to counter. Though I still have a hard time recommending Geos to beginners/FTP simply because they are only useful in Fleet - and they're far from invincible there too. That's a lot of precious resources better spent elsewhere. Geos aren't going to get you Thrawn, or EP, or Chewie, or R2, or CLS, or Chimera, or BB8, or JTR, or Revan, or......
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    Though I still have a hard time recommending Geos to beginners/FTP simply because they are only useful in Fleet - and they're far from invincible there too.

Can confirm, my Hound's Tooth feasts on Geo teams with zero fear of losing.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Dk_rek wrote: »

You should watch Warriors Videos recommending Geos....7* Geos with Uniques maxed can still shred HTooth unless it’s maxed. I am pretty sure he will add them to his Pillars when he updates them. If a beginner/FTP player got those 3 maxed out early they would Top their Fleet Arena.

But see....it's maxxed with another maxxed bounty hunter ship... there is no Geno's shredding it...there is only you die the end.... at least in arena you can find a way to win against whales....NOT ships...and considering ships is where F2P were most likely to hang out.....yeah it sucks I never ever considered quitting this game before HT it's a horrible experience to be honest. But luckily I said I would max my own and see what they bring down the road in ships to make it less sucky so I figure they bought another 6 months from me of farming HT to decide. I loved ships...it's all I put my time and effort into since the release... and one stupid STUPID marquee for the whales ruined everything

My .GG is there I have tried every combo with what I have and I die before I can even do anything...dead...so yeah trying to compete now is pointless....game mode ruined...I have been theory crafting on my own... all I can do now is max gauntlet see if that can do something
  • Wedge from reinforcements is the only way I can kill Hounds Tooth. 3 turns of unresistable healing immunity
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    Wedge from reinforcements is the only way I can kill Hounds Tooth. 3 turns of unresistable healing immunity

TIE Silencer and Poe can both deliver massive enough hits to hit through his protection. Vader's "I Have You Now" is nice for wiping out his protection-up buffs before delivering a big hit as well.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Need to add the Old Republic toons to the pillars now that the Revan Journey is out. So, they and Bounty Hunters added to the original ones makes 6 total pillars that folks need to farm. Newer players might want to change the order of their farms, too, to accommodate getting certain Legendary/Heroic characters earlier than others.