Serious Flaw with NS Zombie re-work

Ariella
219 posts Member
edited September 2018
Okay I’m going to try and stay calm as I write this but it’s seriosuly wound me up because I fear it is working as intended.

Please, no mansplaining required. I’m not an **** and as much as this sucks, I guess I’ll eventually adapt.

But I need to address Undying Sacrifice:
Firstly, I thought the change which causes Zombie to take the first 2 deaths of any NS ally for herself was poor. It was a direct nerf to the legitimate Sith raid Phase 3 team under Talzin. It stank.
But that’s not what I’m mad about.
When I read the description of the skill (which is ambiguous to say the least) and replies from @cg_tophat in the mega thread, I thought okay...
You’ve killed the paper Zombie by forcing players to upgrade to G10 on the premise that without Undying Sacrifice, Zombie can perma-die with -100% Speed.
With this skill, she won’t perma-die.
So far, so good.
Then I read it such that upon death, all status effects cleared - including the -100% Speed.
The reality is, if Zombie dies for a 3rd time with -100% Speed on her, she will revive, but she can NEVER take a turn again.
That’s it, she’s done. Her only remaining use it to die a few more times from AOE attacks (because no sane player or AI will bother to target her) which maybe powers up Asajj and Daka a little more. But frankly, she might as well be dead at that point.
This is so disheartening because fundamentally, Nighsisters are at their best when they’re dying frequently. It’s what I find deliciously enticing about the faction, it’s cruel and brutal and intoxicatingly good fun having your sisters die only to become stronger for it.

Except now, Zombie’s rules are: she can die twice with impunity but should she die a third time, she MUST NOT have a -100% Speed penalty on her or she will be completely neutralised... so you must constantly concern yourself with the current +speed advantages or lack of them on her.
Great. Head spinningly badly written, really poorly designed in my opinion and totally unnecessary to boot (and yes I know something had to change to address the paper Zombie but this neutralising change absolutely didn’t Have to happen).

If you’re still reading and are confused or just want to laugh at the joke that is Zombie in Sith raid P4 now, here’s a clip which illustrates the issue:-

https://streamable.com/fz3f6

The Zombie is G11.5, with well over 200 Speed. As you can see, she never recovers from dying with the -50% penalty... and while she’ll resurrect until infinity, once dead at -100%, she becomes utterly useless.

I am so bitterly disappointed by this.

Replies

• Options
    The strategy has changed, and you have not adapted. The same scores are attainable with a g12 zombie that people were getting before with paper ones.
  • Options
    Id surely quit if I had invested heavily in ns.
    They seemed so much fun when introduced, but everything thats been cool about then, has been completely undone since then.
  • Options
    I agree with your points Ariella. This isnt a nerf to zombie this is a nerf to ns as a whole. It's bad because soo many people invested in them initially when they were marque and when they became an amazing raid team. I have no doubt it was done to nerf their raid success. They are fine with people solo pit or tank bit for some reason not with people doing 30-40% of a single phase in sith raid, seems silly.
  • Options
    This can't be working as intented.
    On a side note, it's also hilarious that you can get your -100% speed zombi up to 100% TM quite easily with Asajj lead, but she still won't ever take a turn. So apparantly you need speed to get from 100% TM to 100% TM xD
  • Options
    I agree with your points Ariella. This isnt a nerf to zombie this is a nerf to ns as a whole. It's bad because soo many people invested in them initially when they were marque and when they became an amazing raid team. I have no doubt it was done to nerf their raid success. They are fine with people solo pit or tank bit for some reason not with people doing 30-40% of a single phase in sith raid, seems silly.

I lol'ed hard at this. I still beat Traya teams, actually they and the empire teams are now even easier. I have a video of NS Asajj (mine) vs NS Mother Talzin (opponent) lead, link is below. Seriously though this was a boost to NS it only hurts you if you relied on paper zombie as your only legitimate strategy for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_m91O4KizE

• Options
    You all are crazy. They are way better now. Gear up your zombies and thank me later.
  • Options

I lol'ed hard at this. I still beat Traya teams, actually they and the empire teams are now even easier. I have a video of NS Asajj (mine) vs NS Mother Talzin (opponent) lead, link is below. Seriously though this was a boost to NS it only hurts you if you relied on paper zombie as your only legitimate strategy for them.

None of the discussion points were about PVP? In that regard, I am happy to see the boost and think the removal of paper Zombie was absolutely appropriate. We were discussing very Raid specific mechanics.
    And the very specific part of my expression of disappointment had absolutely nothing to do with a reliance on paper Zombie. So I’m really unsure what you think you’re offering to this discussion thread but if you have any salient points to make, please do go ahead
  • Options
    Boov wrote: »
    On a side note, it's also hilarious that you can get your -100% speed zombi up to 100% TM quite easily with Asajj lead, but she still won't ever take a turn. So apparantly you need speed to get from 100% TM to 100% TM xD
    In fairness the devs did confirm that with -100% Speed, no matter how much TM a character has, they shall never take a turn. What’s frustrating to me is that this -100% debuff isn’t reset upon Zombie’s death. The description sure eludes to this (although could be interpreted either way) and it’s such a killer that it feels very punitive

• christopher152003
    381 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Ariella wrote: »

None of the discussion points were about PVP? In that regard, I am happy to see the boost and think the removal of paper Zombie was absolutely appropriate. We were discussing very Raid specific mechanics.
    And the very specific part of my expression of disappointment had absolutely nothing to do with a reliance on paper Zombie. So I’m really unsure what you think you’re offering to this discussion thread but if you have any salient points to make, please do go ahead

Your a kitten? point made! Cry some more about a change upsetting you in a game. Lol.
    Post edited by Pyrefly on
  • Options
    In fairness the devs did confirm that with -100% Speed, no matter how much TM a character has, they shall never take a turn. What’s frustrating to me is that this -100% debuff isn’t reset upon Zombie’s death. The description sure eludes to this (although could be interpreted either way) and it’s such a killer that it feels very punitive

Thats incorrect, if zombie survives an attack against her (AoE Counts), then she gains 50% back for a total of -50% speed.
  • Options

Thats incorrect, if zombie survives an attack against her (AoE Counts), then she gains 50% back for a total of -50% speed.

Only if she survives to turn start. If she has -100% speed she never gets a turn to knock one of the stacks off.
  • Options

Your a ****? point made! Cry some more about a change upsetting you in a game. Lol.

Ironic that you accuse somebody of crying about a change made to game mechanics when the first thread you created in these forums was about crying over the devs needing to fix Asajj's AI. Anyways...

Agree with you Ariella, if the intent was to prevent paper Zombie to be better than a well-geared version, mission accomplished. The -100% speed effect not clearing upon death even with her new unique, absolutely unnecessary.
  • Options

Only if she survives to turn start. If she has -100% speed she never gets a turn to knock one of the stacks off.

Indeed - there’s an example of this in the video at about 1:20. Sion fires AOE, Zombie survives but retains -100% Speed. She’s even called to assist but that doesn’t count as a turn.
  • Options
    im too lazy to try for P4, but if someone can make sure zombie die twice, have thrawn swap TM with her, and then put unbreakable will.
    she'll be with unbreakable will all the time, then you can go ahead and just hit them all until they are dead.
  • Options
    im too lazy to try for P4, but if someone can make sure zombie die twice, have thrawn swap TM with her, and then put unbreakable will.
    she'll be with unbreakable will all the time, then you can go ahead and just hit them all until they are dead.

Would that work? 0 speed means she will never take a turn right? Even at 100% TM
  • Options
    Blue_10 wrote: »

Would that work? 0 speed means she will never take a turn right? Even at 100% TM

. . . . .. . . . .. . ... .. .. . . THIS RGHT HERE 😉^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Options

I love your thinking!! Please someone try this. I suspect that perhaps the Thrawn TM swap won't work
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Wooot?!

It makes sense, that a fractured character never takes a turn, since it never reaches 100% TM, but having a character at 100% TM never take a turn is silly. Having 100% TM always meant that the character was ready to take a turn.
  • Options

Nice thinking but if Zombie gets to -100% Speed, even if Thrawn passes TM to her, she won’t take a turn so therefore can’t use unbreakable will.
    And if you stick unbreakable will on her before she has the -100% Speed, she’ll eventually take a turn and lose it.
    And, even if it did work, scoring well in this phase requires lots of TM regain, and isolating a character from taking turns in this way makes that a lot harder to achieve so it wouldn’t really be all that great
  • Options
    thrawn TM swap, after the change that "force" the one who swapped TM with to take a turn, won't help ?
    thats why someone need to try XD
    anyway, there are various problems with this teamcomp.. if it succeed and zomb does manage to have 0 speed and unbreakable will, when AoE enrages hit, the whole team will die besides Zomb, and it will be stuck on infinite loop forever, cant take a turn, retreat or whatever.
    i couldnt care much, im not Lugo after all, just curious how it will go.
  • Options
    thrawn TM swap, after the change that "force" the one who swapped TM with to take a turn, won't help ?
    anyway, there are various problems with this teamcomp.. if it succeed and zomb does manage to have 0 speed and unbreakable will, when AoE enrages hit, the whole team will die besides Zomb, and it will be stuck on infinite loop forever, cant take a turn, retreat or whatever.

I guarantee passing TM to zombie from Thrawn will still not enable her to take a turn. Tophat also clarified the mechanics of players with 0 speed and referenced a Thrawn scenario in the mega thread.

The solution to me is quite simple: clear the -100 Speed upon death, every time.
    This still keeps a paper Zombie out of the game because below G10, they can’t activate the Undying Sacrifice ability anyway so would actually just stay dead.

But having gone to the trouble of gearing up a zombie, she shouldn’t be punished for dying. I’ll say again - the entire premise of the Nightsister faction is build upon them growing stronger as they die. To penalise a character which is supposed to stay alive simple for dying without a speed bonus on her is quite ridiculous in the context of their skill set.
  • Options

I guarantee passing TM to zombie from Thrawn will still not enable her to take a turn. Tophat also clarified the mechanics of players with 0 speed and referenced a Thrawn scenario in the mega thread.

The solution to me is quite simple: clear the -100 Speed upon death, every time.
    This still keeps a paper Zombie out of the game because below G10, they can’t activate the Undying Sacrifice ability anyway so would actually just stay dead.

But having gone to the trouble of gearing up a zombie, she shouldn’t be punished for dying. I’ll say again - the entire premise of the Nightsister faction is build upon them growing stronger as they die. To penalise a character which is supposed to stay alive simple for dying without a speed bonus on her is quite ridiculous in the context of their skill set.

Can a geared zombie really not get a turn off before getting killed? With all the turn meter gains? That's the point now, you gotta make the zombie survivable, so if she isn't, you need to do different crafting to up survival... Health mods (which she now cures 20% of her health to the team)? I heard g12 also makes a difference...

This will force a change in strategy, no doubt, but people are still reporting good scores in p3 and p4. And this change definitely makes them more arena viable.
  • Options
    Guess I shouldn't have put the zeta back on Daka already, lol.

That said, perhaps at high gear levels and the right mods, she'll have a big enough health pool and be fast enough to ensure that she'll never end up in that limbo state where she'll be forever stuck and unable to taunt; even in phase 3 of the heroic sith raid. If she's durable and fast enough, it may be possible to keep her at +50% and +100% speed throughout the run, and this could possibly result in more dmg. Sure, she'd die less often, meaning less offense for Ventress, but on the other hand she'd call the dead to assist more often, meaning more offense for Ventress and more tm from the assists. So unless I'm missing something, the phase 3 team may actually end up doing more dmg.

Anyway, I did 6 million in the last heroic sith raid, and have another raid starting in a few hours. She's only gear 8 though, so the limbo state may be unavoidable for me. Her health pool is just 20.4k, and speed is 203.
  • Options
    See thats what everyone is doing, putting zeta back on dakka
    The only ppl that wanted to move one were the talzin leads

I dont get their decision process sometimes, it straight up rewards the ppl that were exploiting paper zombie and punishes the people who picked the wrong leader zeta...
    Like i said it gives asajj talzins ability for free (basically) but talzin gets... zilch
    Its like her lead is lvl 7 unless the match runs 4min 50 seconds lol
    "and i will show you ... where the iron crosses grow..."
  • Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »

Can a geared zombie really not get a turn off before getting killed? With all the turn meter gains? That's the point now, you gotta make the zombie survivable, so if she isn't, you need to do different crafting to up survival... Health mods (which she now cures 20% of her health to the team)? I heard g12 also makes a difference...

This will force a change in strategy, no doubt, but people are still reporting good scores in p3 and p4. And this change definitely makes them more arena viable.

It’s RNG dependent whether a geared zombie can get a turn in before another death.
    Let’s say Traya is up, and Zombie is taunting. Even with high gear, Traya is fully capable of 1-hit killing Zombie with her saber throw. But Traya could take 3 turns!
    Let’s say Traya and Sion take consecutive turns, which isn’t all that unusual a thing to happen after a long run of turn meter train.
    It’s really not all that unlikely to see Zombie dying a couple of times.

I will however concede, as I did in my opening post, that like any good player I will adapt to this and more carefully monitor the buffs on zombie and ensure I don’t let her die for the fun of it.
    But my big issues here are firstly, this is so unnecessary, secondly, it really over complicates things and finally, it’s against the spirit of the faction which actively encourages having sisters occasionally die
  • Options
    I don’t like the way they did it. But this is a big reason why Ventress lead is going to be better than a Talzin lead now. Ventress + Daka means Zombie gets 20% TM upon reviving and another 70% TM after first hit (falling below full health), plus other NS have a chance to reduce enemy TM on hit. This is going to give Zombie a great chance to get turns in between each death and keep taunt up for the longest possible time.