QGJ as arena leader - why?

Lorenzo
110 posts Member
Fairly successful FTP player in the midst of starring up QGJ. I certainly appreciate his potential value on an arena team. And of course on a Jedi team his value a leader is obvious. But on a more typical/competitive FTP arena team, there will be at most one other Jedi (lumi). Yes, speed is king in the current meta, but, given other leader options, do you really want to pick a leader ability that only helps one or two team members?

Replies

• The idea is to have QGJ using his assist as early as possible. That, combined with other characters dealing decent damage on the team (to draw from for the assist), helps define the outcome of the battle.

QGJ's assist skill makes the assisting character deal +75% extra damage. That's devastating.
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    If your current team without qgj has one or two charaters that would go first and you add qgj as lead and another jedi now almost you entire team would go first. Can make a big difference.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Starting the battle 5v4 is worth it. But for that, you need to surround GQJ with heavy hitters
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member
    In my server I use qgj lead and lumi with him but most only use qgj as the only Jedi. But it's still worth it because it brings his speed up to 160. Only dooku is faster (I have a dooku also to stun everyone else's qgj)
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member
    DV_27 wrote: »
    In my server I use qgj lead and lumi with him but most only use qgj as the only Jedi. But it's still worth it because it brings his speed up to 160. Only dooku is faster (I have a dooku also to stun everyone else's qgj)
    oh and leia is faster I think but with a ackbar lead

• JoshG
    908 posts Member
    oh and leia is faster I think but with a ackbar lead

Yoda also with QJC lead.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    I personally think it's a waste and shows a complete lack of imagination. But speed is so important that people think it is worth it.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member

Qeltar wrote: »
    I personally think it's a waste and shows a complete lack of imagination. But speed is so important that people think it is worth it.
    I used to use lumi as lead but the evasion is too low for non Jedi. Can't wait for dookus leadership to get fixed though, that one should be great in theory.
  • Lorenzo
    110 posts Member
    Okay, thanks.

To follow up - and it may be a moot point, as the meta will likely shift before I can get QGJ to 7* - for a FTP player without the hard to farm fast heavy hitters, what does the rest of the team look like? GS for sure. Dooku most likely. For the other 2 slots:

Lumi - fast with a QGJ lead, decent basic, good special, and a big help if she gets a heal off with everyone still alive.

88 - heavy hitter but slow and low HP.

86 - nice special, more HP than 88, fairly hard hitting basic, but also slow.

Sid - fast but weak hitter, healing immunity not that big a deal in the current meta.

Poogle - fairly fast, great special but weak hitter.

Phasma - slow, weak basic attack, but two great specials.

Yoda - fast, decent basic, nice specials - if I can get him to 7 and gear him up.

Can't think of anyone else (among realistic FTP heroes) who would be a good fit.

Thoughts/advice?
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member
    Those are just the common players you see. But not the only easy ftp farmable ones. There's some decent hard hitters who aren't that common. Resistant pilot from GW shipments. Hoth rebel scout from cantina shipments. He hits hard and he's fast but because Poe daka 5s and qgj are all from there also so not many people go for him. But depends on what you want to build.
    I'm running mostly common players but I've been farming and working on some other characters for a while now and I'll replace my common players once they're strong enough
  • Fantazy
    553 posts Member

if only imagination was rewarded with credits, I'd work harder on it. It doesn't, so people go with what provides higher win rate.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • It wins.
  • Lorenzo wrote: »
    Fairly successful FTP player in the midst of starring up QGJ. I certainly appreciate his potential value on an arena team. And of course on a Jedi team his value a leader is obvious. But on a more typical/competitive FTP arena team, there will be at most one other Jedi (lumi). Yes, speed is king in the current meta, but, given other leader options, do you really want to pick a leader ability that only helps one or two team members?

One important thing about having QGJ ready is that his speed boost will go to all players in the end game...not just Jedi. That would be a huge plus!! Also, if you have serious big hitters in line with him when he does his first attack (FOTP, GS, Lumi bc of the Jedi damage boost) then he can one shot an enemy toon right off the bat. Just don't attack Sid first. Lol
    FTB
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member
    Bryan1986 wrote: »
    Lorenzo wrote: »

One important thing about having QGJ ready is that his speed boost will go to all players in the end game...not just Jedi. That would be a huge plus!! Also, if you have serious big hitters in line with him when he does his first attack (FOTP, GS, Lumi bc of the Jedi damage boost) then he can one shot an enemy toon right off the bat. Just don't attack Sid first. Lol
    I don't think they will allow his skill to do that at end game. Can you imagine seeing him as leader in every single team. It would completely destroy the game if they allowed it. I think that bit of datamined info might well be changed before we see it
  • Probably. But as for now that is the word on the street.
    FTB
  • From what i see qui gon leader in combo with yoda on the team is a SURE kill on anyone you want(before the enemy gets a turn) unless they have a dooku AND he stuns qui gon with his lightning. This is assuming the enemy runs any leader but qui gon. and a 4v5 right off the start is solid. even if qui gon and yoda are your only 2 jedis it is worth it. And there are other benefits but this is what i am seeing that is trending in my arena. I used to run an aoe team under sids leadership and well it gets dunked on by this combo 4/5 tries.. even with the defense AI. also it makes lumi's speed decent in this meta which i beleive is one of the 2 only viable healers. daka would be the 2nd one for a pvp team line up.

hope this helps answer your question.
  • Qeltar wrote: »

It works and is worth it. No imagination needed when the importance of speed is a fact.

Another topic if it should be like this.
  • Fantazy wrote: »

if only imagination was rewarded with credits, I'd work harder on it. It doesn't, so people go with what provides higher win rate.

+1

The incentives don't encourage creativity. I have a block nite where I write doodles, and a sleep log that I sometimes use. In Arena I use a bit of creativity too, but hate sliding beyond top 50+. It's a roller-coaster down the ranks of you don't stay high enough. High enough is Civil as most just want their rewards at their Time zone moment.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited March 2016

Lot of people fall in the trap of believing that leaders must be applied to the whole team to be worth it, and that is why we have been trapped so long into Phasma and Sid, because they are generic useful.

It is such a false assumption.... One very well sinergized team, that has survived different metas, is Droids. HK47 only give bonuses to two other squad members, 88 and 86. Some versions only include 86 (the other is Geo, plus Poggle and Poe). Lead by 47, 86 has good crit chance, 30% TM in a crit, and an assist. Guess what? Geo has good crit chance, % TM on crits, and an assist.

Let's suppose CG release a Jedi with 120something speed, strong damage, TM on a crit, good crit chance, and an assist. Let's call him Geonosian Jedi. With QGJ lead, he finish with 149 speed, a strong assist, good HP and damage. Would you think is it worth it? I think most people would. And that Jedi, under QGJ Lead, is exactly like Geo (except he would be worse to kill Sid).

Sinergy os not the same than faction. Dooku has great sinergy with Phasma because he gains TM and extra damage when called as an assist. He doesn't need to be FO for that.

People who think Geo or Rey do not sinergize with QGJ do so because they think in factions. They think aQGJ team is a Jedi team. Not necesarely. Many QGJ Lead teams are sinergized around speed and damage, not around being a Jedi. Just like High HP with AOE teams are sinergized around dudes with HP and AOE, even if they come from different factions
  • Very well said Triqui. A synergies team is one that get results. If you envision how and why it works, and you need to in your mind picture platitudes of enemies and the order a things, a good synergy is about exactly how things unfolds most often and what are the typical outcomes.

The most amazing teams are those that look like "Meh", to the just show you how wrong you where - you then need to go back and reassess what happened as that's the only way to play. For example, some of the double young teams with Poogle and Kylo Phasma (and Poe + Han) where very fun. Unless you exactly know Han must die first before he taunts, and exactly what to bring, you will lose. Unfortunately, they have some weakness that they remain very niche. But they pull chars from very diverse places.