The legendary problem...

124Next

Replies

  • I'm FTP and only missed Thrawn first time around, I did get him to 5* though.
    I don't see the problem, you either grind or you don't.
    Stop crying about it and get on with it.
  • Waqui
    6037 posts Member
    auto303615 wrote: »

    I do not agree you should need G12 to unlock him 7*.

    Everything is fine, then, since it was possible to take him to 7* with less.

  • KueChael
    794 posts Moderator
    Hi everyone,
    Let’s stay on topic. No calling names or insults. I just removed 3 threads that had no benefit to this topic. I don’t like to warn for petty behavior, I feel everyone involved should correct themselves.
    Please be respectful fo others opinions and experiences.

    Thanks
    Game on!
  • Kyno
    21936 posts Moderator
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Simple: F2p cannot strive competitively. If it did, whales would be nonexistent, thus ending the game. But f2p has to exist so it doesn’t become a money war, because without you’re cheap base, you will never grow.

    So CG has us in a middle ground: In order to be competitive, you must either pay a lot, or plan very very well. But if you play to have fun (like me), then you can be satisfied without paying a cent.

    Ultimately it’s your choice, and you can’t really blame CG for having a strategic business model, even if it is frustrating.

    You may fire when ready. ;)

    There are many competitive F2P, they are just limited and need to be smart to stay flexible. they are probably not the best at everything, but you can easily be top 10 in both arenas as F2P. that will allow them to extend out into other areas. If that person is also a 2-3 year vet they are going to do ok in TW just by having some old meta toons sitting around.

    the problem isn't being competitive, its thinking that you need to be the top in everything, or that you always need everything new to stay there. (maybe you missed the posts about 3* bastilla teams beating with all the "new bells and whistles")

    There are competitive f2p, but like you said Kyno, they have to be smart. And most people either don’t keep up with strategy or just aren’t strategically minded. So a truly “F2P” game, in my opinion, would make it generally easy for even new players to be competitive. That’s the model I was referring to, or the extent of the f2p spectrum. But I appreciate you correcting me, there’s a reason I added the last sentence.

    New players are only pitted against new players, they have the same ability to be competitive as anyone they are playing against. unless you are suggesting that new players should have access to everything without any stress/work/focus.

    While then you’re suggesting that anyone who plays this game can be competitive, that whales are impatient, and that no one on either side should be complaining. The problem with that is that there are updates to the game that obviously favor p2w, and I can’t possibly have all the KOTOR marquees ready to get a legendary/hero’s journey Revan without spending money. He would most likely be the new meta, and I would be forced to get him the second time around if I put all my resources in KOTOR. By then, he might not even be the meta. I don’t care that much, I play for fun, but I don’t think I have the choice to really compete as a f2p.

    I have never suggested whales are anything more than players that have resources outside of the game and are willing to put them here for their own enjoyment.

    There is nothing in game that is not accessible to every player (beyond level restrictions), there is no P2P only toons or accessories. There is only time, which players can pay to speed up.

    F2p will get revan, no doubt. I am 100% certain people will get all the way to 7* revan without spending a dime. Yes you can have all of them 7* and ready whenever he arrives, it just takes focus and planning, some of which may needed to be done beforehand to stay flexible. Just because you dont think you can do it doesn't make it impossible for others.

    Your choice is yours and does not dictate what others can choose to do. As you say you play for fun, other F2P find playing to be competitive as fun and choose to make choices to suit that. This game has many paths.

  • Kyno
    21936 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    GOHGURU wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    So, so far did anything happen that is an exception to your desires? All legendaries and heroes journeys were doable the 2nd time around for a good portion of the community.

    You got your chewie unlock, you can pursue it further for the 2nd time.

    We have no idea when the next leg/hero's will drop. If it drops very soon and if they keep releasing one after another at an alarmist pace, I'll raise my flag with you.

    For now it's biz as usual.

    This..... Why the "panic"...... You don't need everything first time around..... As ftp, you have to make choices....

    And trust me, this is coming from an anemic dolphin..... Be happy for what you have and less unhappy about what you don't have.....

    Like I said to the guy above, the farming locations for the Old republic squad are very bad, they would jeopardize getting Revan even the second time

    There is absolutely no farming location that could hurt anyone from getting a toon the second time around, it takes focus and commitment. If you drop everything and focus on what you want, which is what you have to do as a F2P to stay "with it", it is always possible.

    As for OR toons, there are 3 with multiple farming spots, that's better than Phoenix was for Thrawn.

    As F2P progress in the game they are faced with hard choices, they always have been. A key to being happy is playing like you are F2P, hoarding, ignoring what you can and making smart choices when something you really want comes around. Also accepting that you dont "need" anything, because no matter how you think you need it, you can either get it or you cant, but you cant really make things happen at will without $$, or great patience.

    Come on, you're a reasonable guy. You know that the phoenix characters were also put in the galactic war store, the arena store, fleet shipments, etc. To say that the farming spots for OR toons is better than it was for phoenix is just absurd and it only makes sense if you ignore all the shops where we could easily buy phoenix shards 5 at a time.

    if you didn't have the currency stored up that didn't really help.

    Disagree, Kyno.

    Most people can get at least 800 GW tokens per day. That’s 2 purchases worth, or 10 shards.

    Given the 1/3 drop rate, unless you have crystals at your disposal to refresh, even an 8 attempt node farm would net you 2 or 3 a day. Huge difference. Even at 1 store purchase a day, that’s still a farm that goes almost twice as fast.

    And what about the needed currency to get the extra shards you needed from the shard shop at that time?

    And arena store?
    And cantina table store?

    Yes GW was the easiest of the locations, good example, but that doesnt mean that people who didnt have the other currencies in quantities were going to make that farm, even though the stores are easier.

    This is a cop out answer. ANY store is easier and faster to farm toons in than hard node RNG.

    Let’s look at an example:

    I’ve farmed Pao from 0 shards to nearly 7* in the time it took me to get Bastila from 3* to 56/85 shards at 5* at no refreshes. And Pao is in the cantina store, which is (arguably) the most difficult store to farm from.

    This has nothing to do with “sample size” of RNG either, Bastila has the 1/3 drop rate like all hard nodes. The RNG drop rate doesn’t compare to shop farms.

    Point is, any store is a much easier farm, regardless if they have currency saved or not.

    Please see my later post, I clarified that a store vs farming from a node can allow you have more control, a store with 0 stored currency locks you in to a very specific timeline, where you can save crystals and spend them as you see fit to best speed up any farm you are trying to focus on.

    Also at the time of thrawn, who was a store farm, you needed to have currency to also flood the shard shop to get the shards you need to get them to 7* in the time we had.
  • Just a reminder, we don't even know when he's coming or how the event will play out. Maybe best to wait before complaining that it is impossible.

    It could very well be a hero's journey type event in December. If that's tge case there is ample time.

    They could hand out a 7 star revan for Christmas and there woukd still be complaining on the foruns.
  • This game is setup so that new players can be competitive within their own shard. It is unreasonable for a new player to be on equal footing with folks who have played for 3 years with respect to all events. If I started any game today I would be similarly behind the players with a head start. The game is not designed for every account to obtain every character on release. These games are goal based with the primary goals being completing certain events and starring and gearing up characters. If everyone is able to do everything right away there aren't any more carrots to chase and there is no sense of accomplishment when you actually get there.

    The shard system and the ability to make farming choices does allow new players to be competitive though. There is nothing stopping a player from ignoring Vet and Phoenix farming and focusing on OR if they think that will help them more going forwards. I cringe when I hear people say that they cannot start OR farming until they have finished 7 starring and G12ing the Solo characters or their FO squad. There is supposed to be choice built in, we are supposed to be making decisions on gear and farming. We are not on a track.

  • Started farming KOTOR toons they day they became available. Dropped smugglers since it was clear the hype for them was about the heist. About 20 shards short on 5* Mission on one account, 40 or so on a second, otherwise everyone is five star or better and sitting at G8 without spending a dime. The current 24 attempts for 75 crystals on hard nodes make these relatively easy farms (easily under a month per toon when you factor in the ship hard node and the 50 shards from the marquee).

    If this is a December legendary, then the level of generosity (and commensurate gear expectations) are high.
  • Nihion
    2227 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Simple: F2p cannot strive competitively. If it did, whales would be nonexistent, thus ending the game. But f2p has to exist so it doesn’t become a money war, because without you’re cheap base, you will never grow.

    So CG has us in a middle ground: In order to be competitive, you must either pay a lot, or plan very very well. But if you play to have fun (like me), then you can be satisfied without paying a cent.

    Ultimately it’s your choice, and you can’t really blame CG for having a strategic business model, even if it is frustrating.

    You may fire when ready. ;)

    There are many competitive F2P, they are just limited and need to be smart to stay flexible. they are probably not the best at everything, but you can easily be top 10 in both arenas as F2P. that will allow them to extend out into other areas. If that person is also a 2-3 year vet they are going to do ok in TW just by having some old meta toons sitting around.

    the problem isn't being competitive, its thinking that you need to be the top in everything, or that you always need everything new to stay there. (maybe you missed the posts about 3* bastilla teams beating with all the "new bells and whistles")

    There are competitive f2p, but like you said Kyno, they have to be smart. And most people either don’t keep up with strategy or just aren’t strategically minded. So a truly “F2P” game, in my opinion, would make it generally easy for even new players to be competitive. That’s the model I was referring to, or the extent of the f2p spectrum. But I appreciate you correcting me, there’s a reason I added the last sentence.

    New players are only pitted against new players, they have the same ability to be competitive as anyone they are playing against. unless you are suggesting that new players should have access to everything without any stress/work/focus.

    While then you’re suggesting that anyone who plays this game can be competitive, that whales are impatient, and that no one on either side should be complaining. The problem with that is that there are updates to the game that obviously favor p2w, and I can’t possibly have all the KOTOR marquees ready to get a legendary/hero’s journey Revan without spending money. He would most likely be the new meta, and I would be forced to get him the second time around if I put all my resources in KOTOR. By then, he might not even be the meta. I don’t care that much, I play for fun, but I don’t think I have the choice to really compete as a f2p.

    I have never suggested whales are anything more than players that have resources outside of the game and are willing to put them here for their own enjoyment.

    There is nothing in game that is not accessible to every player (beyond level restrictions), there is no P2P only toons or accessories. There is only time, which players can pay to speed up.

    F2p will get revan, no doubt. I am 100% certain people will get all the way to 7* revan without spending a dime. Yes you can have all of them 7* and ready whenever he arrives, it just takes focus and planning, some of which may needed to be done beforehand to stay flexible. Just because you dont think you can do it doesn't make it impossible for others.

    Your choice is yours and does not dictate what others can choose to do. As you say you play for fun, other F2P find playing to be competitive as fun and choose to make choices to suit that. This game has many paths.

    Kyno, you don’t have to defend everything about the game. I love the game just as much as everyone else, I just think that there are certain points in time where the game isn’t as rewarding to f2p players; which makes total sense to me. Does this advantage warrant a complaint? Definitely not. What I’m trying to say is that even though the game may be built for p2w at some point or other, there is no reason to complain about it.
  • Kyno
    21936 posts Moderator
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Simple: F2p cannot strive competitively. If it did, whales would be nonexistent, thus ending the game. But f2p has to exist so it doesn’t become a money war, because without you’re cheap base, you will never grow.

    So CG has us in a middle ground: In order to be competitive, you must either pay a lot, or plan very very well. But if you play to have fun (like me), then you can be satisfied without paying a cent.

    Ultimately it’s your choice, and you can’t really blame CG for having a strategic business model, even if it is frustrating.

    You may fire when ready. ;)

    There are many competitive F2P, they are just limited and need to be smart to stay flexible. they are probably not the best at everything, but you can easily be top 10 in both arenas as F2P. that will allow them to extend out into other areas. If that person is also a 2-3 year vet they are going to do ok in TW just by having some old meta toons sitting around.

    the problem isn't being competitive, its thinking that you need to be the top in everything, or that you always need everything new to stay there. (maybe you missed the posts about 3* bastilla teams beating with all the "new bells and whistles")

    There are competitive f2p, but like you said Kyno, they have to be smart. And most people either don’t keep up with strategy or just aren’t strategically minded. So a truly “F2P” game, in my opinion, would make it generally easy for even new players to be competitive. That’s the model I was referring to, or the extent of the f2p spectrum. But I appreciate you correcting me, there’s a reason I added the last sentence.

    New players are only pitted against new players, they have the same ability to be competitive as anyone they are playing against. unless you are suggesting that new players should have access to everything without any stress/work/focus.

    While then you’re suggesting that anyone who plays this game can be competitive, that whales are impatient, and that no one on either side should be complaining. The problem with that is that there are updates to the game that obviously favor p2w, and I can’t possibly have all the KOTOR marquees ready to get a legendary/hero’s journey Revan without spending money. He would most likely be the new meta, and I would be forced to get him the second time around if I put all my resources in KOTOR. By then, he might not even be the meta. I don’t care that much, I play for fun, but I don’t think I have the choice to really compete as a f2p.

    I have never suggested whales are anything more than players that have resources outside of the game and are willing to put them here for their own enjoyment.

    There is nothing in game that is not accessible to every player (beyond level restrictions), there is no P2P only toons or accessories. There is only time, which players can pay to speed up.

    F2p will get revan, no doubt. I am 100% certain people will get all the way to 7* revan without spending a dime. Yes you can have all of them 7* and ready whenever he arrives, it just takes focus and planning, some of which may needed to be done beforehand to stay flexible. Just because you dont think you can do it doesn't make it impossible for others.

    Your choice is yours and does not dictate what others can choose to do. As you say you play for fun, other F2P find playing to be competitive as fun and choose to make choices to suit that. This game has many paths.

    Kyno, you don’t have to defend everything about the game. I love the game just as much as everyone else, I just think that there are certain points in time where the game isn’t as rewarding to f2p players; which makes total sense to me. Does this advantage warrant a complaint? Definitely not. What I’m trying to say is that even though the game may be built for p2w at some point or other, there is no reason to complain about it.

    I'm just pointing out that the game wasnt built for p2p, in any way (other than platoons). The game is built and paced for f2p, p2p can reduce this time or speed up the pace. Just because they can do that doesnt mean it was built for them. If things in this game didnt seem achievable for f2p, many would just stop playing or never get into it. Even with all the updates this holds true, yes marquees are not something f2p can get right away, but they are on a set plan and can be planned for, things like that make it achievable for all players. HJ, are rough and really reward players who can focus down and get what they need when they need to, but still achievable for everyone. Legendaries are the same, hard to achieve but allow for flexibility if you have the roster. We will all get there...

    This game is fairly f2p friendly and that is an even theme as we move through much of what they out out there, the previous meta was a great example of this, a rework of one of the most accessible toons in game opened the doors up to everyone to be more competitive. Sure friendly doesnt mean they are pushing things out to give boosts to f2p all the time, but they have and continue to keep players on an evenly paced path, you want fast paced that's a different story.

    I catch a lot of flack for "defending" things. I'm not, I just have a different perspective and opinions about the game. I'm ok with playing a game for a long time at the pace it's designed. I have my own pace and I'm happy to do what makes me happy and wait when I want to. The game will go in and the sun will rise tomorrow, I'm just here to play.
  • This complaint happens with nearly every legendary release (if Revan even is a legendary).

    It happened with r2 because Empire wasn’t a viable arena team then. It happened with BB8 because nobody liked FO then. It happened with CLS because Old Ben was terrible at the time and nobody farmed him. It happened with JTR because of the vets.

    I’m 90-95% f2p and yeah, it kind of sucks when you make the wrong farm gamble. I farmed Ewoks just in case of a C3P0/Jedi Luke release. Oops. Chewie is the first legendary I unlocked (only 5 star) first time around, and that’s mainly because I had most of Cad, and all of Greedo and IG88 from spare arena currency, so I farmed them just because. F2P players are always going to be behind the 8ball on things unless they get lucky. Depending on how he’s released, I’m pretty dang sure I’m going to miss Revan because i was farming BHs and Smugglers (for the resource event).

    It sucks, but it is what it is. Asking CG to give players a legendary just because they picked the wrong path is asking for Christmas gifts. I didn’t listen to the possibility of Revan, so I’ll miss him this time. Oh well, the game goes on, and so will I.

    I agree . I'm mostly ftp except for the 180 dollars last year year farming the Vet's only to be short one gear level on vet Chewbacca to get through. I will NEVER panic farm again ! It's all about making the right farm choice's. I am farming KOTOR characters am I at a pace I will get them ready by the time they are first needed not likely . I will be ready for sure second time im sure . My focus in cantina is on Empire strikes back characters (Hoth Han and Lando ) as they may be needed for another Luke's heroes journey.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    GOHGURU wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    So, so far did anything happen that is an exception to your desires? All legendaries and heroes journeys were doable the 2nd time around for a good portion of the community.

    You got your chewie unlock, you can pursue it further for the 2nd time.

    We have no idea when the next leg/hero's will drop. If it drops very soon and if they keep releasing one after another at an alarmist pace, I'll raise my flag with you.

    For now it's biz as usual.

    This..... Why the "panic"...... You don't need everything first time around..... As ftp, you have to make choices....

    And trust me, this is coming from an anemic dolphin..... Be happy for what you have and less unhappy about what you don't have.....

    Like I said to the guy above, the farming locations for the Old republic squad are very bad, they would jeopardize getting Revan even the second time

    There is absolutely no farming location that could hurt anyone from getting a toon the second time around, it takes focus and commitment. If you drop everything and focus on what you want, which is what you have to do as a F2P to stay "with it", it is always possible.

    As for OR toons, there are 3 with multiple farming spots, that's better than Phoenix was for Thrawn.

    As F2P progress in the game they are faced with hard choices, they always have been. A key to being happy is playing like you are F2P, hoarding, ignoring what you can and making smart choices when something you really want comes around. Also accepting that you dont "need" anything, because no matter how you think you need it, you can either get it or you cant, but you cant really make things happen at will without $$, or great patience.

    I'm mostly F2P, but haven't paid since the very beginning 18 months ago. I totally accept that I don't get legendary characters until the second time around. I didn't get to unlock Chewie, but that's because I made the deliberate choice to not focus on bounty hunters. Instead I focused on the vets (will unlock JTR next week) and Solo characters. I follow multiple game changers on youtube, and even with all the info available, I guessed/chose wrong. That's no one's fault but mine.

    There's not much guessing required for Revan. We have 5 OR characters. 5 characters are needed for an event. I'm focusing all my energy to farm them and all my crystals on refreshes. That way I can farm 4 of the 5 at the same time (cantina farming is faster than hard node farming, so I'm focusing on T3 now and Mission after). Whenever Revan comes out, I'll have those 5 geared and mostly starred. At the same time, I didn't start farming OR toons when the first came out, it was a couple weeks later. So, if I'm late by a couple weeks, again that's my fault.

    I'm still having fun.

    Food for thought: SWGOH is a game. If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
  • TheFossilMan
    102 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I still dont' understand the talk about this Chewie event. Sure the Gear had to be high but it was one of the first easily attained yet but for the gear. It was doable with characters that were in the game from the very beginning. Further, with the DS TB event requiring decently geared BH's most of us couldn't have been far behind. Suggestion for f2p players.......Save your gear and only gear when absolutely necessary to complete an event. Let the green crosses sit there. Wait on gearing characters that are new until you are absolutely certain they will make a big impact to your game. I far too often see a new marquee release and someone geared that toon up to 11 at 3*, and then complain that an event is too hard and they do not have the gear. As a f2p or even a dolphin you have to play smart and not bandwagon something new because it's shiny. That's a complete waste unless you are certain they will slot into an arena team (Bastila).
  • Mzee
    1720 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    The game has steadily moved to a less F2P friendly model since I began playing in 2016. Ships now, which used to be very F2P friendly are no more since ships 2.0. Now I feel like I need to start farming 6 dot mods just to keep up and I also have not spent money on the newer ships like Bossk. I do not appreciate giving legendaries to factions that involve so many new characters and so little time to farm. I also believe it is a terrible decision from their part to put so many new characters on single hard nodes and not spread out over different currencies or stores. Increasing the number of attempts for legendaries is nice but single hard nodes still are an extremely long farm, and we also do not have enough energy to go around so this really is a very insufficient 'fix'. I remember when Scavenger Rey was one of my worst farms back in the day, and she had 3 hard nodes! Other characters had numerous farmable locations in multiple stores and through multiple energies. That entire model has been scrapped now to be much more aggressive for spending.

    At least I could get Chewie since I only needed to work on Bossk to 7* and gear him and gear up my other Bounty Hunters a bit. It was also expected the faction would be getting them.

    I also had been working on the Solo toons since they were released first before the KotOR, and I figured they may get their own faction tag like Rogue 1 did. I am mostly trying to push the KotR all to 5* now at least, but would like to get to 6 or 7*. Because characters now require 7* for gear 12 characters become far less useful at 6* and below than they used to.

    The gear crunch has been alleviated some, which is nice with shard currency, but it barely puts a dent in the aggressive push for us to spend a lot of crystals on gear. It takes a long time to get characters geared up to a usable level. It was also a terrible decision in my eyes to require numerous gear bottlenecks across many gear levels. For example Carbantis and stun guns are needed from gear 8 all the way up to gear 12+! In other games different tier levels do not overlap gear and this would have been a much more player-friendly model. Too late now...

    I am someone that would probably be classified as a fairly heavy dolphin. I spend $20 here and there, and sometimes a $10 on new characters, but never more than that on them.
  • I still dont' understand the talk about this Chewie event. Sure the Gear had to be high but it was one of the first easily attained yet but for the gear. It was doable with characters that were in the game from the very beginning. Further, with the DS TB event requiring decently geared BH's most of us couldn't have been far behind. Suggestion for f2p players.......Save your gear and only gear when absolutely necessary to complete an event. Let the green crosses sit there. Wait on gearing characters that are new until you are absolutely certain they will make a big impact to your game. I far too often see a new marquee release and someone geared that toon up to 11 at 3*, and then complain that an event is too hard and they do not have the gear. As a f2p or even a dolphin you have to play smart and not bandwagon something new because it's shiny. That's a complete waste unless you are certain they will slot into an arena team (Bastila).

    You don't see anything wrong about thr statement "save your gear and gear only when absolutely necessary to complete an event" !!! Seriously, you just described the definition of misery and not being able to enjoy your roster. Basically let the devs strictly dictate which characters you get to play, or miss out... Jesus that statement was so wrong man
  • Mzee wrote: »
    The game has steadily moved to a less F2P friendly model since I began playing in 2016. Ships now, which used to be very F2P friendly are no more since ships 2.0. Now I feel like I need to start farming 6 dot mods just to keep up and I also have not spent money on the newer ships like Bossk. I do not appreciate giving legendaries to factions that involve so many new characters and so little time to farm. I also believe it is a terrible decision from their part to put so many new characters on single hard nodes and not spread out over different currencies or stores. Increasing the number of attempts for legendaries is nice but single hard nodes still are an extremely long farm, and we also do not have enough energy to go around so this really is a very insufficient 'fix'. I remember when Scavenger Rey was one of my worst farms back in the day, and she had 3 hard nodes! Other characters had numerous farmable locations in multiple stores and through multiple energies. That entire model has been scrapped now to be much more aggressive for spending.

    At least I could get Chewie since I only needed to work on Bossk to 7* and gear him and gear up my other Bounty Hunters a bit. It was also expected the faction would be getting them.

    I also had been working on the Solo toons since they were released first before the KotOR, and I figured they may get their own faction tag like Rogue 1 did. I am mostly trying to push the KotR all to 5* now at least, but would like to get to 6 or 7*. Because characters now require 7* for gear 12 characters become far less useful at 6* and below than they used to.

    The gear crunch has been alleviated some, which is nice with shard currency, but it barely puts a dent in the aggressive push for us to spend a lot of crystals on gear. It takes a long time to get characters geared up to a usable level. It was also a terrible decision in my eyes to require numerous gear bottlenecks across many gear levels. For example Carbantis and stun guns are needed from gear 8 all the way up to gear 12+! In other games different tier levels do not overlap gear and this would have been a much more player-friendly model. Too late now...

    I am someone that would probably be classified as a fairly heavy dolphin. I spend $20 here and there, and sometimes a $10 on new characters, but never more than that on them.

    All true, so agressive on spending indeed
  • Nothing new here. I have a bunch of issues with the game - but grinding isn't one of them. That's kind of what it's about.

    And yes, there is gambling... there is a good chance that more scoundrel YOLO content comes out first, SPECIFICALLY to distract you from Revan/REWARD people who are farming YOLO toons. Choose, focus, gamble - that's the game you play.

    I'm going on the basis of a December Revann event of some kind -- I'll be ready with OR toons and, should, be ready with OR era Sith as well, just in case. And If I lose out on a YOLO November event, so it goes.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • GOHGURU wrote: »
    I still dont' understand the talk about this Chewie event. Sure the Gear had to be high but it was one of the first easily attained yet but for the gear. It was doable with characters that were in the game from the very beginning. Further, with the DS TB event requiring decently geared BH's most of us couldn't have been far behind. Suggestion for f2p players.......Save your gear and only gear when absolutely necessary to complete an event. Let the green crosses sit there. Wait on gearing characters that are new until you are absolutely certain they will make a big impact to your game. I far too often see a new marquee release and someone geared that toon up to 11 at 3*, and then complain that an event is too hard and they do not have the gear. As a f2p or even a dolphin you have to play smart and not bandwagon something new because it's shiny. That's a complete waste unless you are certain they will slot into an arena team (Bastila).

    You don't see anything wrong about the statement "save your gear and gear only when absolutely necessary to complete an event" !!! Seriously, you just described the definition of misery and not being able to enjoy your roster. Basically let the devs strictly dictate which characters you get to play, or miss out... Jesus that statement was so wrong man

    I "liked" the comment. I used to spend gear on new characters all the time and then not have it when I needed it. The top guilds leave their unlocked marquee characters at 2 stars and level 1. It would be silly to overinflate GP for characters that won't be useful until you have more shards.
    You can go flat out if that's what you find fun but then you can't complain if the chamber is empty when you see something you want more.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Simple: F2p cannot strive competitively. If it did, whales would be nonexistent, thus ending the game. But f2p has to exist so it doesn’t become a money war, because without you’re cheap base, you will never grow.

    So CG has us in a middle ground: In order to be competitive, you must either pay a lot, or plan very very well. But if you play to have fun (like me), then you can be satisfied without paying a cent.

    Ultimately it’s your choice, and you can’t really blame CG for having a strategic business model, even if it is frustrating.

    You may fire when ready. ;)

    There are many competitive F2P, they are just limited and need to be smart to stay flexible. they are probably not the best at everything, but you can easily be top 10 in both arenas as F2P. that will allow them to extend out into other areas. If that person is also a 2-3 year vet they are going to do ok in TW just by having some old meta toons sitting around.

    the problem isn't being competitive, its thinking that you need to be the top in everything, or that you always need everything new to stay there. (maybe you missed the posts about 3* bastilla teams beating with all the "new bells and whistles")

    There are competitive f2p, but like you said Kyno, they have to be smart. And most people either don’t keep up with strategy or just aren’t strategically minded. So a truly “F2P” game, in my opinion, would make it generally easy for even new players to be competitive. That’s the model I was referring to, or the extent of the f2p spectrum. But I appreciate you correcting me, there’s a reason I added the last sentence.

    New players are only pitted against new players, they have the same ability to be competitive as anyone they are playing against. unless you are suggesting that new players should have access to everything without any stress/work/focus.

    While then you’re suggesting that anyone who plays this game can be competitive, that whales are impatient, and that no one on either side should be complaining. The problem with that is that there are updates to the game that obviously favor p2w, and I can’t possibly have all the KOTOR marquees ready to get a legendary/hero’s journey Revan without spending money. He would most likely be the new meta, and I would be forced to get him the second time around if I put all my resources in KOTOR. By then, he might not even be the meta. I don’t care that much, I play for fun, but I don’t think I have the choice to really compete as a f2p.

    I have never suggested whales are anything more than players that have resources outside of the game and are willing to put them here for their own enjoyment.

    There is nothing in game that is not accessible to every player (beyond level restrictions), there is no P2P only toons or accessories. There is only time, which players can pay to speed up.

    F2p will get revan, no doubt. I am 100% certain people will get all the way to 7* revan without spending a dime. Yes you can have all of them 7* and ready whenever he arrives, it just takes focus and planning, some of which may needed to be done beforehand to stay flexible. Just because you dont think you can do it doesn't make it impossible for others.

    Your choice is yours and does not dictate what others can choose to do. As you say you play for fun, other F2P find playing to be competitive as fun and choose to make choices to suit that. This game has many paths.

    Kyno, you don’t have to defend everything about the game. I love the game just as much as everyone else, I just think that there are certain points in time where the game isn’t as rewarding to f2p players; which makes total sense to me. Does this advantage warrant a complaint? Definitely not. What I’m trying to say is that even though the game may be built for p2w at some point or other, there is no reason to complain about it.

    I'm just pointing out that the game wasnt built for p2p, in any way (other than platoons). The game is built and paced for f2p, p2p can reduce this time or speed up the pace. Just because they can do that doesnt mean it was built for them. If things in this game didnt seem achievable for f2p, many would just stop playing or never get into it. Even with all the updates this holds true, yes marquees are not something f2p can get right away, but they are on a set plan and can be planned for, things like that make it achievable for all players. HJ, are rough and really reward players who can focus down and get what they need when they need to, but still achievable for everyone. Legendaries are the same, hard to achieve but allow for flexibility if you have the roster. We will all get there...

    This game is fairly f2p friendly and that is an even theme as we move through much of what they out out there, the previous meta was a great example of this, a rework of one of the most accessible toons in game opened the doors up to everyone to be more competitive. Sure friendly doesnt mean they are pushing things out to give boosts to f2p all the time, but they have and continue to keep players on an evenly paced path, you want fast paced that's a different story.

    I catch a lot of flack for "defending" things. I'm not, I just have a different perspective and opinions about the game. I'm ok with playing a game for a long time at the pace it's designed. I have my own pace and I'm happy to do what makes me happy and wait when I want to. The game will go in and the sun will rise tomorrow, I'm just here to play.


    Please just say you didn’t like tournaments lol :D
  • Kyno
    21936 posts Moderator
    Gamorrean wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Simple: F2p cannot strive competitively. If it did, whales would be nonexistent, thus ending the game. But f2p has to exist so it doesn’t become a money war, because without you’re cheap base, you will never grow.

    So CG has us in a middle ground: In order to be competitive, you must either pay a lot, or plan very very well. But if you play to have fun (like me), then you can be satisfied without paying a cent.

    Ultimately it’s your choice, and you can’t really blame CG for having a strategic business model, even if it is frustrating.

    You may fire when ready. ;)

    There are many competitive F2P, they are just limited and need to be smart to stay flexible. they are probably not the best at everything, but you can easily be top 10 in both arenas as F2P. that will allow them to extend out into other areas. If that person is also a 2-3 year vet they are going to do ok in TW just by having some old meta toons sitting around.

    the problem isn't being competitive, its thinking that you need to be the top in everything, or that you always need everything new to stay there. (maybe you missed the posts about 3* bastilla teams beating with all the "new bells and whistles")

    There are competitive f2p, but like you said Kyno, they have to be smart. And most people either don’t keep up with strategy or just aren’t strategically minded. So a truly “F2P” game, in my opinion, would make it generally easy for even new players to be competitive. That’s the model I was referring to, or the extent of the f2p spectrum. But I appreciate you correcting me, there’s a reason I added the last sentence.

    New players are only pitted against new players, they have the same ability to be competitive as anyone they are playing against. unless you are suggesting that new players should have access to everything without any stress/work/focus.

    While then you’re suggesting that anyone who plays this game can be competitive, that whales are impatient, and that no one on either side should be complaining. The problem with that is that there are updates to the game that obviously favor p2w, and I can’t possibly have all the KOTOR marquees ready to get a legendary/hero’s journey Revan without spending money. He would most likely be the new meta, and I would be forced to get him the second time around if I put all my resources in KOTOR. By then, he might not even be the meta. I don’t care that much, I play for fun, but I don’t think I have the choice to really compete as a f2p.

    I have never suggested whales are anything more than players that have resources outside of the game and are willing to put them here for their own enjoyment.

    There is nothing in game that is not accessible to every player (beyond level restrictions), there is no P2P only toons or accessories. There is only time, which players can pay to speed up.

    F2p will get revan, no doubt. I am 100% certain people will get all the way to 7* revan without spending a dime. Yes you can have all of them 7* and ready whenever he arrives, it just takes focus and planning, some of which may needed to be done beforehand to stay flexible. Just because you dont think you can do it doesn't make it impossible for others.

    Your choice is yours and does not dictate what others can choose to do. As you say you play for fun, other F2P find playing to be competitive as fun and choose to make choices to suit that. This game has many paths.

    Kyno, you don’t have to defend everything about the game. I love the game just as much as everyone else, I just think that there are certain points in time where the game isn’t as rewarding to f2p players; which makes total sense to me. Does this advantage warrant a complaint? Definitely not. What I’m trying to say is that even though the game may be built for p2w at some point or other, there is no reason to complain about it.

    I'm just pointing out that the game wasnt built for p2p, in any way (other than platoons). The game is built and paced for f2p, p2p can reduce this time or speed up the pace. Just because they can do that doesnt mean it was built for them. If things in this game didnt seem achievable for f2p, many would just stop playing or never get into it. Even with all the updates this holds true, yes marquees are not something f2p can get right away, but they are on a set plan and can be planned for, things like that make it achievable for all players. HJ, are rough and really reward players who can focus down and get what they need when they need to, but still achievable for everyone. Legendaries are the same, hard to achieve but allow for flexibility if you have the roster. We will all get there...

    This game is fairly f2p friendly and that is an even theme as we move through much of what they out out there, the previous meta was a great example of this, a rework of one of the most accessible toons in game opened the doors up to everyone to be more competitive. Sure friendly doesnt mean they are pushing things out to give boosts to f2p all the time, but they have and continue to keep players on an evenly paced path, you want fast paced that's a different story.

    I catch a lot of flack for "defending" things. I'm not, I just have a different perspective and opinions about the game. I'm ok with playing a game for a long time at the pace it's designed. I have my own pace and I'm happy to do what makes me happy and wait when I want to. The game will go in and the sun will rise tomorrow, I'm just here to play.


    Please just say you didn’t like tournaments lol :D

    Yes, I was not a fan of that.

    I would love to see some game mode that is like a universal arena, be nice to see how you rank against the community at large.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Gamorrean wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Simple: F2p cannot strive competitively. If it did, whales would be nonexistent, thus ending the game. But f2p has to exist so it doesn’t become a money war, because without you’re cheap base, you will never grow.

    So CG has us in a middle ground: In order to be competitive, you must either pay a lot, or plan very very well. But if you play to have fun (like me), then you can be satisfied without paying a cent.

    Ultimately it’s your choice, and you can’t really blame CG for having a strategic business model, even if it is frustrating.

    You may fire when ready. ;)

    There are many competitive F2P, they are just limited and need to be smart to stay flexible. they are probably not the best at everything, but you can easily be top 10 in both arenas as F2P. that will allow them to extend out into other areas. If that person is also a 2-3 year vet they are going to do ok in TW just by having some old meta toons sitting around.

    the problem isn't being competitive, its thinking that you need to be the top in everything, or that you always need everything new to stay there. (maybe you missed the posts about 3* bastilla teams beating with all the "new bells and whistles")

    There are competitive f2p, but like you said Kyno, they have to be smart. And most people either don’t keep up with strategy or just aren’t strategically minded. So a truly “F2P” game, in my opinion, would make it generally easy for even new players to be competitive. That’s the model I was referring to, or the extent of the f2p spectrum. But I appreciate you correcting me, there’s a reason I added the last sentence.

    New players are only pitted against new players, they have the same ability to be competitive as anyone they are playing against. unless you are suggesting that new players should have access to everything without any stress/work/focus.

    While then you’re suggesting that anyone who plays this game can be competitive, that whales are impatient, and that no one on either side should be complaining. The problem with that is that there are updates to the game that obviously favor p2w, and I can’t possibly have all the KOTOR marquees ready to get a legendary/hero’s journey Revan without spending money. He would most likely be the new meta, and I would be forced to get him the second time around if I put all my resources in KOTOR. By then, he might not even be the meta. I don’t care that much, I play for fun, but I don’t think I have the choice to really compete as a f2p.

    I have never suggested whales are anything more than players that have resources outside of the game and are willing to put them here for their own enjoyment.

    There is nothing in game that is not accessible to every player (beyond level restrictions), there is no P2P only toons or accessories. There is only time, which players can pay to speed up.

    F2p will get revan, no doubt. I am 100% certain people will get all the way to 7* revan without spending a dime. Yes you can have all of them 7* and ready whenever he arrives, it just takes focus and planning, some of which may needed to be done beforehand to stay flexible. Just because you dont think you can do it doesn't make it impossible for others.

    Your choice is yours and does not dictate what others can choose to do. As you say you play for fun, other F2P find playing to be competitive as fun and choose to make choices to suit that. This game has many paths.

    Kyno, you don’t have to defend everything about the game. I love the game just as much as everyone else, I just think that there are certain points in time where the game isn’t as rewarding to f2p players; which makes total sense to me. Does this advantage warrant a complaint? Definitely not. What I’m trying to say is that even though the game may be built for p2w at some point or other, there is no reason to complain about it.

    I'm just pointing out that the game wasnt built for p2p, in any way (other than platoons). The game is built and paced for f2p, p2p can reduce this time or speed up the pace. Just because they can do that doesnt mean it was built for them. If things in this game didnt seem achievable for f2p, many would just stop playing or never get into it. Even with all the updates this holds true, yes marquees are not something f2p can get right away, but they are on a set plan and can be planned for, things like that make it achievable for all players. HJ, are rough and really reward players who can focus down and get what they need when they need to, but still achievable for everyone. Legendaries are the same, hard to achieve but allow for flexibility if you have the roster. We will all get there...

    This game is fairly f2p friendly and that is an even theme as we move through much of what they out out there, the previous meta was a great example of this, a rework of one of the most accessible toons in game opened the doors up to everyone to be more competitive. Sure friendly doesnt mean they are pushing things out to give boosts to f2p all the time, but they have and continue to keep players on an evenly paced path, you want fast paced that's a different story.

    I catch a lot of flack for "defending" things. I'm not, I just have a different perspective and opinions about the game. I'm ok with playing a game for a long time at the pace it's designed. I have my own pace and I'm happy to do what makes me happy and wait when I want to. The game will go in and the sun will rise tomorrow, I'm just here to play.


    Please just say you didn’t like tournaments lol :D

    Yes, I was not a fan of that.

    I would love to see some game mode that is like a universal arena, be nice to see how you rank against the community at large.

    I would also love to see another individual PVP game mode that isn’t tournaments. I feel like that was getting close to being a fun format, but the stakes were too high (7* character) and you had to camp out on the refreshes towards the end if you wanted to place high.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Tournaments and arena were basically the same game mode, but with a universal pay-out time and "cheaper" refreshes. The only different but fun aspect was that (up to a certain point) you could use different teams that were cheaper to refresh. In the end that didn't matter much because people who saved up ally points could just battle for 4 hours straight with the same team, turning the competition into who had the most time to "waste" to get a high rank. Regardless of that, it was rather enjoyable as long as you weren't aiming for top ranks. If that was your goal it turned into a chore real quick.
    End of the day we're still playing vs the AI and it's a freemium game, that pretty much ends all real competative gameplay.
Sign In or Register to comment.