A constructive revan post

Rhunne
624 posts Member
edited October 2018
I will say first off, yes I have been overly critical about things cg/ea have done in the past and recently. I won’t hide that fact, but after having nearly 24 hours to contemplate over the current position we are in with the revan event; I have some more level headed thoughts.

Yes I was one of the vast amounts of players that felt cheated, betrayed if you will by your decision to release revan this way and so soon after chewbacca, but I also think we can come to a compromise between us and you to make this better for all.

As it stands now, I know there is no way, virtually none for me to get revan. I have a mortgage and family etc that requires far more attention and spending then swgoh. I have always said, and my guild can attest to this, that I would happpily spend a few hundred to purchase revan, but where I am sitting now is like a lot of people, not gonna happen sadly.

My focus was on bounty hunters, and I managed to get chewie to 6* and I will be ready fully to get that 7 next time (**** you bossk drops).... so my focus wasn’t even set on OR for farming, like a lot of you. But a weeks notice so soon after chewie?

If anything, your decision to push towards a quick release has completely detured me from ever spending in game again, sad because from time to time there are useful packs etc available. I would venture to assume that a lot of the guppie/dolphin crowd feels the same way.

We know the whales and krakens will have Revan, they burned through their wallets and got these characters to 7* and geared. Revan is rightfully deserved to these folks. There is no contesting this, but how about we loosen the grip just a bit.

There have been many suggestions made in regards to the event timing. Push it 2,3,4 etc weeks. Allow the “lower class” time to try. ... time to try being the key wording here. That’s where it stands. We don’t have time to try. If I had more time I would likely drop a couple hundred in hopes that maybe, just maybe I would make it. But I can also see how people would feel cheated if they spent all that money and came up shy.

I’m thinking you went with October 18th because KOTOR was released back in the day on October 15th (correct me if I’m wrong). As trends stand, this is right on point with a few previous events (JTR)

So, what do we do?

well my suggestion, extend the time frame before the event. You already know the whales and krakens will have him, great. But with a large majority of use not even close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, we won’t even try. Showing us you are listening and extending some sort of olive branch to use could really save face in a lot of eyes. How you choose to do this is up to you obviously, but don’t you honk it would be for the best? Those individuals, myself included, who are choosing to not purchase crystals or packs because it is just too far out of reach in such a short time frame may actually open up their wallets and spend a few bucks (hey more profit for you all)

What does the community feel?

Please try and keep his constructive, there is so much negativity (yes myself included previously) that I’m sure @kyno is ready to break his/her keyboard moderating posts.

Replies

• I couldn’t agree more. Having 2 weeks before the event ends makes me not want to try. And this coming from a guy whose favorite character in Star Wars is Revan. I always said if I was going to whale out on one character, it’d be him. But not like this. If we had a couple extra weeks, I know I’d buy the packs or crystals to get those last shards I need. But with only one week, that changes everything.
  • Completely agree with this. I understand that journey and legendary events are a money grab, I'm ok with that, this is a business after all. Putting Revan out so soon was just a total blow though. I've been farming Kotor since they became farmable, I have 20k crystals banked, but doing the calculations, I won't make it, not by far, even with the bonus packs you can buy. The thing is, if they push it a few weeks I probably will with those packs. And for Revan, I'm willing to drop the $ needed to get me over. I dropped about $50 I believe for JTR when she hit, I don't mind paying a little now and again. As it currently stands, I won't make it, so my wallet stays closed because there is no point to buying them, I'll have to farm and get him second time around.
  • Wait, first everyone wants new content faster and now that it's here they don't want it. I hate to say it, but you guys got what you asked for. Every time something came out with in the week someone was saying, "so what's next?". Yeah, this is it lol
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Yeah, within seconds of reading the Hero's Journey dev post I'd already decided "nope." There wasn't any shred of doubt at all, and in that light I sort of appreciate the sheer boldness of the event. If they'd said it was a month out, it would have been a lot different - "can I do this? let's work the math, how many refreshes...?"

Sort of like a kid knocking on your door selling chocolate bars for charity. "How much?" "$200 a bar." Priced so high that saying "No" is just a foregone conclusion and moving on is easy without a second thought.

I'm just glad that this time around, hardly anyone will get Revan and arena won't be a problem like it was with CLS or JTR.

It's a bold strategy, Cotton.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Very well thought out post. I'm completely F2P and will most likely remain that way as long as I play the game, but I can definitely understand that sentiment. I would probably feel about the same if I were spending money on the game and such a highly requested and anticipated character was released.
  • kalidor wrote: »
    I'm just glad that this time around, hardly anyone will get Revan and arena won't be a problem like it was with CLS or JTR.

But if Revan is meta-breaking, then having Revan is limited to the big spenders only, making it (for the next while anyway) a P2W game, with the P being out of reach but for a few who will then dominate arena. Your petty shard alliences will crumble before a new empire built only for the wealthy or the addicted. Once they have the top 20 controlled by whales alone, they will direct their ever increasing power toward maintaining their hegemony.

Is this art imitating life or WHAT? I am pretty sure that from a business perspective, you know your product has a finite lifetime. So you estimate that trajectory and try to fit your price curve to maximize the revenue from your base as it dwindles eventually. I don't know where on that curve we are, and they would never share that information, nor should they, but I predict that this game gradually becomes P2W as it matures.
  • What do we do?

“Well, you got to know when to hold’em, know when to fold’em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.”
  • Similar calculus to Revan: what will it take to continue, and am I willing to do that?

But who knows, maybe they are going to come up with some insane endgame! Collect all the rooms, then use that collection in some strategy game, or FPS. Talk about extending the game! And you could make endless games using the collection you have built in this game!

**** that would be awesome.
  • Rooms = toons

Woops
  • The last straw for this SPENDING gambit will be reminiscent of TAP FOR FUN Galaxy Legends monthly subscription service..10$ /month Silver..20$month gold where you get xtra crystals daily.To wring the last dime out of guppies as they far out number the whales; we will blindly follow not thinking that the whales will laugh and be right there also.
  • Raven was easily obtainable by any dolphin or minnow who planned ahead. All I have to buy is Mission shards. The increased hard node sims and decreased refresh cost let you farm all the hard nodes, and have them completed at the start of the event. If you didn't focus on them, you're probably not going to get Raven for cheap. (I do 24 sims a day on each).
    My FTP account could have had Raven 6 stars, probably 1 vault to make him 7. That account will get him next time, but to say this is only for whales / krakkens is ridiculous. Anyone who spends anything in my shard chats are getting him. The only ones who aren't are FTP. We were also all expecting this, so it didn't really catch anyone by surprise.
  • Drazz127 wrote: »
    My FTP account could have had Raven 6 stars, probably 1 vault to make him 7. That account will get him next time, but to say this is only for whales / krakkens is ridiculous. Anyone who spends anything in my shard chats are getting him. The only ones who aren't are FTP. We were also all expecting this, so it didn't really catch anyone by surprise.
    It didn't really catch anyone by surprise? Most new posts are about it that it did. We saw Luke, Thrawn, Rey but Revan just raised the bar.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Easybee wrote: »
    kalidor wrote: »

But if Revan is meta-breaking, then having Revan is limited to the big spenders only, making it (for the next while anyway) a P2W game, with the P being out of reach but for a few who will then dominate arena.....

Please tell us what meta has not had a counter?

(Rex is a hero)

• The way they are doing this convinces me constructive criticism is going to fall on deaf ears.

Why?

kotor apeiron has been shut down.

Gee what a shock...

When you have to milk another company's creation for all it's worth you sure can't let anyone make a free mod improving that other company's creation.

I'm sure it's all coincidence.
  • $600 will get you revan next week or wait 4 months and he'll be free. not a hard decision kid. sorry about all your other bills but you are overthinking it.
  • Coys
    14 posts Member
    There is a short clip of the event on the Star Wars show at least I think it is
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iN_-9eFWIQ0&t=6s
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Easybee wrote: »
    kalidor wrote: »

But if Revan is meta-breaking, then having Revan is limited to the big spenders only, making it (for the next while anyway) a P2W game, with the P being out of reach but for a few who will then dominate arena.....

Please tell us what meta has not had a counter?

(Rex is a hero)

CLS for about 3 months.
  • I was pretty annoyed about the cadence issue for awhile (still am) but being a pseudo dolphin (arena/ship crystals) and being somewhat focused on KOTOR...I can probably get Revan with an investment of $100 to $150 is not super unreasonable considering a marquee 7 star toon cost $330.

$100 to $150 is a lot of money to put into a game...but I guess that's a personal decision.

I am annoyed at CG's claim that they were sorry about dropping too many marquees and not spacing them out properly only to make the situation 10x worse by giving us like 10 toons to farm on hard/ship nodes and the two separate events.

I am hoping that the event is not too hard...otherwise there is no point for me to invest anymore into the Revan event.