Euro vs Dollar - Why on earth are we Europeans paying more?

What could possibly justify making Euro zone Europeans pay a lot more than Americans and other dollar based markets? All the content is developed at the same time for everyone, right? And don't even try to use localisation as an excuse, it just won't stick. Myself, I rather play the game in English but I don't even get that chance.

And we're paying two times over: one because the prices are nominally higher (ex: basic Jango pack goes for €10,99) and because one Euro is worth more than one Dollar (+/- 1,15), making this Jango pack to cost around $12,65.

Unless there is a good explanation, this is pure, random discrimination, is it not CG/EA?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    They do not set regional prices, all prices are set in USD and then changed for regions using the OS based costing system that has internet exchange rates for regions.
    114 posts Member
    Try living in England £1 = $1.32, the Jango pack here is £9.99 = $13.19.
    In Euros £1 = €1.14, Jango pack £9.99 = €11.39.

How much is the Jango pack in dollars for US players ?
  • Maybe higher overall wages in Euro? Just a wild guess, it doesn't make much sense.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    123 wrote: »

the jango pack is €10.99 though, wich makes it $12.73 / £9.64
  • Kyno wrote: »
    They do not set regional prices, all prices are set in USD and then changed for regions using the OS based costing system that has internet exchange rates for regions.

Well, thanks for that Kyno but I'm staying the same. The exchange rate is the opposite, we should be paying less Euros regarding the amount of USD. As for the "OS based costing system", that sounds just pure **** to me. I don't see any valid reason for this except discrimination based on region and imoral profit making.
  • 123 wrote: »

$9.99, go figure. It's an absurd ripoff!
  • Maybe higher overall wages in Euro? Just a wild guess, it doesn't make much sense.

No man, definitly not. Euro zone is made of a lot of countries with huge economical differences among them.
  • Tariffs

What? On an online game? Not event EA would go for that one :)
  • Kyno wrote: »

Well, thanks for that Kyno but I'm staying the same. The exchange rate is the opposite, we should be paying less Euros regarding the amount of USD. As for the "OS based costing system", that sounds just pure **** to me. I don't see any valid reason for this except discrimination based on region and imoral profit making.

What kyno says is true.

EA doesn't individually price each region. Both google and apple set app purchase prices and in app purchase pricing 'tiers', with options for each increment/amount that app developers use.

EA chooses the 'tier' for each option in the game; that conversion for different countries to a different currency is then down to what apple and google charge for those tiers.

These dont dynamically update with real time exchange rates, but are reviewed periodically by apple and google. They also include tax, which varies country to country. Dont forget this factor as it can be important for the realtive cost you may pay.

Here in Aus, we're at a minor advantage on US pricing right now, but back when we had parity with USD we were paying about 50% more for the same stuff as those in the US.

So yes, in some countries you might pay relatively more (or less) for same content.

If that's not enough to get your head around, consider that because google and apple operate independently, and update at different times, the same pack could end up with different prices in the same country at same time. (Cue unfounded complaints about one OS being favoured vs another).
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    i also believe we pay more taxes in the EU than our USA based friends do.
    Anyway, it's never going to be "fair". Factor in cost of living and average wages etc, it's relatively way more expensive for people in lets say Albenia for example.
  • What kyno says is true.

EA doesn't individually price each region. Both google and apple set app purchase prices and in app purchase pricing 'tiers', with options for each increment/amount that app developers use.

EA chooses the 'tier' for each option in the game; that conversion for different countries to a different currency is then down to what apple and google charge for those tiers.

Thanks for the explanation, I can buy that to a certain extent BUT I still think EA could operate those tiers in order to make it more even worldwide. True that taxes may have a role here, but why should they be a burden on the consumer and not on the companies as it is intended to be?

• Boov wrote: »
    i also believe we pay more taxes in the EU than our USA based friends do.
    Anyway, it's never going to be "fair". Factor in cost of living and average wages etc, it's relatively way more expensive for people in lets say Albenia for example.

Albenia is great, neighbour to Camelot and Atlantida :-)))
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    What kyno says is true.

Thanks for the explanation, I can buy that to a certain extent BUT I still think EA could operate those tiers in order to make it more even worldwide. True that taxes may have a role here, but why should they be a burden on the consumer and not on the companies as it is intended to be?

Sales taxes are meant as a burden on the consumer.
  • Naraic wrote: »

Sales taxes are meant as a burden on the consumer.

I was thinking of revenue taxes on corporates.