Thrawn in fleet arena

Just wondering if anyone is having success under thrawn anymore. I’ve seen my particular fleet shard slowly drift from thrawn to tarkin as capital speed becomes much more important (gotta be the first to reinforce...). I don’t really want to waste resources maxing tarkin, at least not until we find out if a new capital ship is on its way with the road ahead, so i was wondering if anyone’s come up with any particular fleets that work well under thrawn. All the new stuff seems to be specifically designed for tarkin, and Biggs/Vader/tfp is old/everyone knows how to beat it. Hitting hard and fast has been thrawn’s strength in the past, but with all the power creep he’s just not quite hitting hard and fast enough and tarkin will win the long game as soon as debuffs get spread around and ships start to die, feeding TM to his team. I’ve tried gauntlet for its cleanses/buff immunity, but again I think it’s just not quite fast or powerful enough.

Replies

• I run a Thrawn lead and have been noticing the same thing.

But it's the people now running Houndstooth that are the bigger issue for me...
  • I've been running Ackbar since I had ships unlocked. Pairing him with biggs and scimitar is a lethal combo
  • I run a Thrawn lead and have been noticing the same thing.

But it's the people now running Houndstooth that are the bigger issue for me...
    Doesn't Thrawn's ultimate take care of that little problem?
  • I also run 7* Thrawn and it's rare that I don't place top 5, usually 1 or 2. So far the HoundsTooth have been 3* and beatable.. I haven't used an ultimate on one yet that I recall. I have noticed that Ackbar is hard to beat and Tarkin more so. There was a 6* Tarkin that I just could not beat so I would avoid him, and he has since made it to 7* :(
    I finished Home 1, perhaps I will try it out tonight instead, although my AA isn't as geared as Thrawn.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    My shard isn't super mature but pretty much everyone at the top end is still running Thrawn. In the top 10 it's 8 Thrawns, me using Tarkin and one other guy using Ackbar.

Ironically, I'm only using Tarkin because my Rebel ships are mostly trash and I was only able to unlock Chimaera at 5*. I had no idea he was considered the potentially superior choice, he was just my best option when I decided to go hard on fleet.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I have noticed that Ackbar is hard to beat and Tarkin more so. There was a 6* Tarkin that I just could not beat so I would avoid him, and he has since made it to 7* :(
    Interesting. Were the capital ships just too fast for you or something else?
    I finished Home 1, perhaps I will try it out tonight instead, although my AA isn't as geared as Thrawn.
    Home One is heavily fighter-oriented, though at your level the cap ship is also important. (I actually let my Home One lag behind for a long time but eventually it became an issue)

Executrix of course is all about Tarkin's Tie Party.

Chimaera seems to be somewhere in-between, wouldn't you say? (Haven't really tried mine yet but it looks interesting)
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Eh, I dunno if I'd agree with that. There's only one guy in my shard against whom I occasionally have to use the OMGTIEFIGHTERS move. That's only because his starting lineup is Biggs + target lock spam shenanigans, and his first reinforcement is Hound's Tooth, so the match takes a while. Even against him, though, it only comes down to the ultimate one out of every 3-4 times. I've only even bothered taking it to rank 4 or so, because improving the other abilities paid way more dividends.

The real game changers are maxing out the passive (20% TM for all your ships anytime someone is defeated) and the AOE (greatly increases ability block & expose chances). I dumped some arena points into extra Prestige to speed those along and it made a huge difference.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Jarvind wrote: »

Eh, I dunno if I'd agree with that. There's only one guy in my shard against whom I occasionally have to use the OMGTIEFIGHTERS move. That's only because his starting lineup is Biggs + target lock spam shenanigans, and his first reinforcement is Hound's Tooth, so the match takes a while. Even against him, though, it only comes down to the ultimate one out of every 3-4 times. I've only even bothered taking it to rank 4 or so, because improving the other abilities paid way more dividends.

The real game changers are maxing out the passive (20% TM for all your ships anytime someone is defeated) and the AOE (greatly increases ability block & expose chances). I dumped some arena points into extra Prestige to speed those along and it made a huge difference.
    Interesting. What fighters are you using?
  • Tarkin had a lot of benefits, but I prefer the control thrawn gives me, running silencer/ht
  • On a side note, has strategic dominance been changed or have I just had poor rng? The last 5 times I used it tarkin responded with an immediate reinforcement. I mean, I suppose he could’ve resisted it 5 times in a row but with a 15% chance that seems unlikely...
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »

Interesting. What fighters are you using?

Starting lineup

Hounds Tooth
    TIE Silencer
    First Order TIE Fighter

All 7* with G12 7* pilots. Yeah, I splurged for Bossk/Hounds Tooth because I could tell from the marquee event it was going to be nuts. Was not disappointed.

Reinforcements

Biggs's X-wing
    TIE Advanced 1x
    Slave 1
    Geonosian Soldier's Starfighter

Reinforcements are all 7* G11 except Geo who is like G8 or something. He's only in there because I didn't have anything better, he never actually gets called unless using his assist ability can end the match.

I usually call Biggs first to nuke somebody with the assist and fill Bossk's taunt gap, and Vader second to mop up. Most of the time I don't have to call Boba.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I’m doing OK with Thrawn. He reliably wipes out the Hound’s Tooth—eventually.