Ally type for abilities

Something i am unclear on: some few abilities grant X for each ally of type Y _and_ type Z, such as vader (sith and empire) or revan (jedi or old republic). Does Emperor Palpatine get counted twice, since he is _both_ sith and empire?

And does such a toon get to count themselves as well? e.g. vader getting another 2 bumps for being sith and empire?

Just something i have wondered for a while now

Replies

• Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I've always wondered this also, but the difference can be so small, it'd be hard to say for sure if it did. The way that these abilities are worded seem to imply it would count twice if both tags are there.
  • First question, I think the answer is yes generally (and specifically confirmed for Revan)

Second question depends on wording: 'any ally [of type ...]' means the ability owner counts, 'any other ally [of type ...]' means the ability owner doesn't count.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    I asked the same question not too long ago and @vksg provided an incredibly detailed explanation, which I am quoting here:
    vksg wrote: »
    To emphasize what FailingCrab said: The keyword you are looking for is 'for each of the following'.
    A search over all abilities reveals that there are currently 4 occasions in which the same (positive or negative) effect can be triggered and applied multiple times:
    • Darth Vader - U- No Escape At the start of each encounter Darth Vader gains 8 Speed until the end of that encounter for each of the following: Empire ally, Sith ally, Jedi enemy, Rebel enemy...
    • Emperor Palpatine - U - Crackling Doom While Palpatine is active, at the start of each enemy turn, they take damage equal to 20% of their Max Health for each of the following: they are Shocked; they are a Jedi; they are a Rebel...
    • Sabine Wren - B - Blasters Akimbo Deal Physical damage to target enemy twice. This attack scores an additional hit for each of the following if the target: - Has less than 70% Turn Meter - Has less than 30% Turn Meter - The target is debuffed Hits after the first deal 75% less damage.
    • Rey (Jedi Training) - B - Connected Strikes Deal Physical damage to target enemy. Damage is increased by 25% for each of the following: Rey has no debuffs; Rey has any buffs; the target has no buffs; the target has any debuffs.
    If the keyword is missing (most occasions), an effect may be triggered by different conditions, but is applied exactly one time.
    • Example1: Darth Vader - L- Inspiring Through Fear Empire and Sith allies have +30% Offense and have a 50% chance to remove 20% Turn Meter when they damage an enemy...
    • Example2: Emperor Palpatine - L - Emperor of the Galactic Empire Empire and Sith allies have +35% Potency and 35% Max Health. Jedi and Rebel enemies have -35% Potency and -35% Evasion.
      When an Empire ally inflicts a debuff during their turn, they gain 20% Turn Meter. When a Sith ally inflicts a debuff during their turn, they recover 20% Health.
      When a debuff on an enemy expires, Empire and Sith allies gain 5% Turn Meter.
      => The spoilered part of Palp's ability shows a second possibility of multiple [different] effects applied for being both Empire and Sith. Since it is two separated definitions/sentences, it should be obvious and doesn't need the additional keyword.

The Revan kit reveal seems to suggest that he breaks this rule, but still.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• vksg
    132 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Jarvind wrote: »
    The Revan kit reveal seems to suggest that he breaks this rule, but still.
    Thanks for repeating it here :smile:
    Seems @Jarvind is right and CG invented a new flavour of 'for each of the following' called 'for each x and for each y'. So Revan's abilities are #5 on the multiple effect list. See CG_SBCrumb's >comment<
    qtnks44b7wla.png
  • I wouldn't call that new, it's just a 'for each of the following' but expressed in the form of a setence because a colon followed by a list of two would look silly.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299