Jedi Knight Revan-Missed Storytelling Opportunity?

I just want to clarify, this isn't a criticism of having released Jedi Knight Revan or how it was done.

Revan, during the original KOTOR, spends most of the time not actually remembering being Revan. I think this was an opportunity to go back and talk about the fall of Jedi Knight Revan during the Mandalorian Wars, and the events leading up to the devastation of Malachor V. It's just a piece of the story I would have liked to have seen.

Another piece of the story that could be cool to see is the Jedi Civil War that leads to the near extinction of the Jedi. Darth Revan and Darth Malak devastate the Old Republic and the Jedi, until Bastilla Shan and an elite strike force using her Battle Meditation capture Darth Revan.

Then you could use the Old Republic characters (HK-47 really deserves the tag, and it would be really cool to have Canderous Ordo, Jelani, and Carth Onasi) on a Hero's Journey unlock Revan, Hero of the Republic (who would have both a Light Side and a Dark Side tag, to reflect the possible choices of the KOTOR player).

I think there is a lot of story there, and I think there is a lot of incentive there for CG.

Replies

• Cossin
    301 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I just want to clarify, this isn't a criticism of having released Jedi Knight Revan or how it was done.

Revan, during the original KOTOR, spends most of the time not actually remembering being Revan. I think this was an opportunity to go back and talk about the fall of Jedi Knight Revan during the Mandalorian Wars, and the events leading up to the devastation of Malachor V. It's just a piece of the story I would have liked to have seen.

Another piece of the story that could be cool to see is the Jedi Civil War that leads to the near extinction of the Jedi. Darth Revan and Darth Malak devastate the Old Republic and the Jedi, until Bastilla Shan and an elite strike force using her Battle Meditation capture Darth Revan.

Then you could use the Old Republic characters (HK-47 really deserves the tag, and it would be really cool to have Canderous Ordo, Jelani, and Carth Onasi) on a Hero's Journey unlock Revan, Hero of the Republic (who would have both a Light Side and a Dark Side tag, to reflect the possible choices of the KOTOR player).

I think there is a lot of story there, and I think there is a lot of incentive there for CG.

I fully agree on the basic intent: this was advertised implying heavily that we will get to know more about the character itself and its story... apparently that means reading some short lines in the description for CG. I was only able to play up to stage 5 but I basically learned nothing about Revan! It is almost ridiculous borderlining bad and lazy to get something like „Don‘t worry Big Z, our new friend will handle this“ as line... For a clear money grab event, that intentionally alters from from Hero‘s Journey and Legendary Events, it offers nothing new. Actually, it even offers less, as in Hero‘s Journey you actually replay sequences you are familiar with (as 99% of the people playing will have seen the movies, but not 99% will have played KotOR) which lead to the birth of the hero form of said character.

I stick with my judgement, no matter how good the character:
    This event was poorly executed, advertised and it‘s sole purpose being the most obvious cash grab in the history of SWGoH, as it doesn‘t even offer something new as new event besides a few features:
    - Ultra short notice
    - A new event, that offers nothing new but a new character
    - Bad introduction/advertisement
    - Insight into a very chaotic/flawed process of design (overtime, Revan not living up to it, no info)
    - A new „you have to buy me or wait a couple months“ feature (unlike old events, where you could guess and farm accordingly)

For the millions of $ rolling in monthly, I‘d expect a little more. (Again, I do not blame the Devs, but the ones standing behind them with whips and collars)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    This game has never had much of a story line, basically because we are not playing as the characters, but as a player using holograms of them.

The HJ and now this journey are the first real adventure for this game down the road if providing a storyline to the game.

I hope we can see more down the road, and what you are describing could very well be the story we play out on our journey to get Darth Revan later, if that happens
  • Kyno wrote: »
    This game has never had much of a story line, basically because we are not playing as the characters, but as a player using holograms of them.

The HJ and now this journey are the first real adventure for this game down the road if providing a storyline to the game.

I hope we can see more down the road, and what you are describing could very well be the story we play out on our journey to get Darth Revan later, if that happens

That would make me happy.