Galactic war difficulty

Prev13
AOHNH
43 posts Member
edited October 2018


Why is it punishing new players so much? What is the point of delaying my progression where most of the community is already 85? And the guild recruitment often requires minimum level and/or gp amount.

Today I'm level 68, barely have enough credits to keep my main squad leveled and geared up, and I'm facing a level 85 full sith team on node 6.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

  • Start farming yourself Resistance with Finn Lead. You will start auto completeing it. It’s a long ridiculous road, but zFinn makes it easy mode.
  • Gw prepares you to be better at this game.
    Pumping just 1 team will not solve all thr game modes. You need different teams for. TB, Tw, events, missions, raids etc

    The sooner you accept this, the more efficient your strategy can be. (and the sooner these complaints stop :) )
  • It is absolutely horrible as a new player. I keep wanting to quit just because of the difficulty. It's easier to say you need depth in your roster, but if you just started a week ago, got a 4 star Phoenix team, then when are you supposed to get a second team? Still trying to unlock my scoundrels. It's ridiculous
  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Gw prepares you to be better at this game.
    Pumping just 1 team will not solve all thr game modes. You need different teams for. TB, Tw, events, missions, raids etc
    This is a bad argument. Right now the guild I'm in is running heroic pit and AAT. I can't possibly have a team to contribute to that at my level, so this point is not relevant.

    At my level, having one strong squad is highly beneficial to my advancement due to arena rewards. This is where I get gems, which allows me to progress at a faster rate. Having multiple mediocre squads means I go through leveling content at a slower pace.

    Bottom line is, everyone around me (my guild, squad arena, ships arena) is higher level and in order to keep up I need to concentrate my efforts, not spread them around. Galactic war is a huge stumbling point because it directly counters the most efficient way of pushing forward. It punishes new players only, because once you're leveled up, GW becomes a cake walk.
    The sooner you accept this, the more efficient your strategy can be. (and the sooner these complaints stop :) )
    No, my point is that the galactic war is countering my most efficient strategy. Making multiple squads at low levels slows me down and prevents me from reaching the point where I can contribute better towards my guild. The design of the galactic war may have been good for when the game first came out, but at this point it is outdated and counter-productive. It needs to be fixed.

  • Weaselcult
    129 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Full completion is something to work towards as you level, providing you with a challenge to overcome. If they just hand everything to you as soon as you can access the content with nothing to strive for then the game would be boring.

    Sounds like you are already being handed haat and hrancor for no effort already anyhow. Which is more than a lot of people got when leveling. We all had to deal with GW and have many many none completion runs and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't that bad. Especially compared to some other hurdles in game.
  • So just because you can't beat it every day, you want it's difficulty lowered?

    Believe me I was in the same spot roughly six months ago. I was level 85, I could not beat GW whatever I tried, so desperate I wanted to get those 150 wins to be able to sim. I have even complained about it on the forums.

    Then I changed my approach to it ... and I think that is the thing you need to do too. You are just lvl 68, you have time to learn and play. Make more then one squad. Your argument that you want to focus on a select squad to provide more to the guild is rather invalid as at a lower level you'll be able to do less in raids, TW and TB etc. Develop your roster further.

    Once I changed my approach, came up with multiple squads and never used the same squad in the next battle, GW was easy to finish each day.

    And before you say, sure but you were level 85. I took the same approach on my alt account, started Galactic War at level 40, developed Phoenix Squad (you should farm that rightaway, as it gives you access to two toons that still are a few of the best characters in game), an Empire Squad, and working on a Bounty Hunter and Jedi Squad along the way. Never lost a Galactic War since, even when facing opponents that were 10 levels higher then me.

    And before you think oh he spent a lot of money on it, my alt account is completely free to play.

    It's easy and doable if you take the right approach!

    Good luck!



  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Weaselcult wrote: »
    Full completion is something to work towards as you level, providing you with a challenge to overcome. If they just hand everything to you as soon as you can access the content with nothing to strive for then the game would be boring.
    I would agree, to an extent. The problem is, what I'm facing today is simply not possible on any level. Let's say I follow the original intent of GW, slow myself down, and at some point I have 4 level 68 squads. This will hit my squad arena ranking and my ship arena ranking, but at least I'll be able to complete GW all the time, right? Wrong! Even if I did have that, there's no way I could possibly beat the team I'm facing today (on node 6!!!). Level 85 team with 2 level gear advantage, they will simply mop the floor with each squad I toss in there. The power disparity is too large when it comes to top end. There's nothing to strive for when you hit a brick wall like that, except to hurry up and reach level 85 so that I don't face this crap anymore. I wouldn't call this a challenge - more like "bang your head against the wall until you reach 85, and then just auto it every time".
    Sounds like you are already being handed haat and hrancor for no effort already anyhow. Which is more than a lot of people got when leveling. We all had to deal with GW and have many many none completion runs and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't that bad. Especially compared to some other hurdles in game.
    Sure, you guys had it hard, but the game has been out for what, 2 years now? You guys are already eons ahead of players like me, what is the point of slowing down new players anymore? If the game wishes to keep growing and expanding, slowing down new players is counter-productive. Current GW design is bad does not benefit anyone.

    Besides, I'm not asking to just hand me the wins all the time. All I'm asking for is to reduce the power disparity so that there are no fights where you're just getting one-shotted and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.
  • Build a better squad.
  • When you're a newer player and face harder teams in GW i think it requires you to learn more about the game. It makes you look at your toons and come up with a strategy. For example Phoenix, Zeb's stagger ability and then Ezra calling him to assist and stunning the enemy.

    It also makes you look at the toons you're up against and what they can do. You know you're against Palp who can stun your whole team with 1 AOE so can you stun him using your strategy before he uses his stun? If you know Talzin can put Plague on your whole team can you stun before she pulls it off? Or get an ability block?

    If you know you have an ability that removes taunt or anything like that, Ezra's Flourish for example, do you have to use it to finish off a toon or would it be better to save it incase you need it early in the next stage?

    I think GW is designed for you to try to think more tactically about the battles rather than just smashing the auto button, and once you get through it a few times it becomes easier and easier
  • AOHNH
    43 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Build a better squad.
    I kinda wish we could test this theory. I'd like to take my level 68 gear 7 squad and put it against your squad, which has to be level 51 gear 5. Oh, and your abilities have to be two levels lower, too. If your squad wins, I will never again complain about GW in here.
  • SebPovic
    67 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Reaching lvl 85 was never the key to autoing the GW. When i reached level 85 i had like 100 completions left to unlock simming.

    Lets assume they lower the difficulty, what will new players ask for in half a year? CLS giveaway because some part of the community is too far ahead? You are not even competing with those people, thats what arena shards are made for. If you decide to skip that part of progression because it seems too slow just do it.
    (just noting: the GW will probably be the first store that you complete and thus become somewhat useless at some point.)

    Besides there have been many changes that every player profits of: Mods and ship energy, Mod loadouts, raid reward changes, STR lifepool and mechanic changes. Get yourself some 15+ speed mods and GW will feel a lot easier. Get familiar with different tactics and counters aswell, you will need that knowledge in TW.
  • JohnLove11 wrote: »
    It also makes you look at the toons you're up against and what they can do. You know you're against Palp who can stun your whole team with 1 AOE so can you stun him using your strategy before he uses his stun?
    Funny you say that, 'cause I am against Palp. Another funny thing - when the other team is much higher level than yours, they tend to resist almost every negative effect. And yet another funny thing - when I finally stun Palp, the other 3 dps guys aoe my team and then the one-shotting fest begins...

  • Lets assume they lower the difficulty, what will new players ask for in half a year? CLS giveaway because some part of the community is too far ahead?
    Again, I'm not asking for a giveaway. I'm asking for brick wall removal - fights that cannot be completed under any circumstances.

  • GW is meant to be super difficult at lower levels. You’re not supposed to clear it every day. Nobody was able to at your level, even before the new(er) metas. It’s the same idea as not everybody having access to farm high level/node toons from the start.

    This game is a slow burn resource management game. Only make 400 GW tokens a day? 50 crystals per day? 200 arena tokens? Spend them wisely, advance, build your roster, get more currency.
  • GW is meant to be super difficult at lower levels. You’re not supposed to clear it every day.
    I'd like to understand the reason behind this as of today. This would make sense for a new game. It does not make any sense to me for a 2 year old game. It simply blocks me from helping my guild sooner.
  • You just have to grin and bear it, i totally get what your going through im 79 and have been struggling through this the last 10 levels, but it does get a little better.

    I think it is terrible game design because that thing has made me just nope out of the game many times, im doing okay and then i get a 85 phoenix team at 76 and you just throw your hands up and leave.

    It does get better, just get through it
  • AOHNH wrote: »
    JohnLove11 wrote: »
    It also makes you look at the toons you're up against and what they can do. You know you're against Palp who can stun your whole team with 1 AOE so can you stun him using your strategy before he uses his stun?
    Funny you say that, 'cause I am against Palp. Another funny thing - when the other team is much higher level than yours, they tend to resist almost every negative effect. And yet another funny thing - when I finally stun Palp, the other 3 dps guys aoe my team and then the one-shotting fest begins...

    Then you need to wack on some potency mods or something like that. Sometimes you will have to accept that you have days where you're up against a mad good team and theres no way you can win so you have to stop for the day, other times you can get through the whole thing without even breaking a sweat. Remember if you get bad RNG you can always forfeit the battle and try it again without losing any toons - but again sometimes theres nothing you can do no matter what you try
  • AOHNH wrote: »
    Gw prepares you to be better at this game.
    Pumping just 1 team will not solve all thr game modes. You need different teams for. TB, Tw, events, missions, raids etc
    This is a bad argument. Right now the guild I'm in is running heroic pit and AAT. I can't possibly have a team to contribute to that at my level, so this point is not relevant.
    I want to add some input here.

    First, you are in a guild that can basically give you free stuff. That is worlds better than trying to solo the game. I'm in a similar situation. I just hit level 81 and beat GW (for the first time in a month) two days ago. My guild completes all the heroic raids, and with my paltry 420k GP I can't do squat in terms of contributing meaningfully to any of them.

    But the key is to do what you CAN do.
    • Join the guilds TW's - they need at least 25 to participate, and even if you lose you get stuff.
    • Join every raid, and make an attempt if you can. Even if you only put out 10k damage to that rancor that's still 10k more than everyone who posted a 0.
    • Get your 600 tickets every day.
    • Donate gear when you can.
    If your guild is OK with what you are doing, great!

  • Build a better squad.

    I wish it were that simple.
  • AOHNH wrote: »
    GW is meant to be super difficult at lower levels. You’re not supposed to clear it every day.
    I'd like to understand the reason behind this as of today. This would make sense for a new game. It does not make any sense to me for a 2 year old game. It simply blocks me from helping my guild sooner.

    I’d like to understand you’re reasoning behind how a game’s difficulty correlating to a game’s age. Battletoads was released in 1991 and I still can’t beat it.

    It’s just one of those things that is supposed to be hard and scales the difficulty as you progress. I didn’t finish my first GW until I was like level 75 or so.
  • EventineElessedil
    5169 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    You have been given great advice. You can choose to ignore it, but your GW will always be a struggle if you do. Know that if you build an uber g12 before you reach L85, your GW is going to be very hard.
    Learn to live with it or change your strategy. Your choice.
  • I’m my first guild there’s level 85 players who consistently did better than me in every raid and in arena, and they still can’t finish GW some days. At level 85 it’s supposed to be easier. But it happens. It didn’t stop them from progressing.

    Like I said. The game is a slow burn. GW isn’t preventing you from progressing. It’s just difficult. That’s it. Unless you’re a whale, this isn’t an immediate satisfaction game.
  • Sometimes I wish my GW was harder. Some days I can beat the whole thing with my g9 bounty hunters or g9 ewoks. And some days it takes more, and I am thankful I did not have any g12s when I hit L85.
    I do think GW is harder for newer players simply because they can reach higher gear levels before L85 than launch players could. But manage your roster differently and you can mitigate the difficulty.
  • JohnLove11 wrote: »
    Then you need to wack on some potency mods or something like that. Sometimes you will have to accept that you have days where you're up against a mad good team and theres no way you can win so you have to stop for the day, other times you can get through the whole thing without even breaking a sweat. Remember if you get bad RNG you can always forfeit the battle and try it again without losing any toons - but again sometimes theres nothing you can do no matter what you try
    I understand what you're saying, but my point is that this is a bad design and needs to be reworked.

  • I’d like to understand you’re reasoning behind how a game’s difficulty correlating to a game’s age. Battletoads was released in 1991 and I still can’t beat it.
    Sounds like a bad example. I'll give you a better one - look at how Diablo 3 end game changed as the game aged. Nobody is forced to slowly grind to max levels anymore. And that game doesn't have a guild mechanic like this one does.
    It’s just one of those things that is supposed to be hard and scales the difficulty as you progress.
    I'd like to understand why. Seems like a bad design to me.
  • Learn to live with it or change your strategy. Your choice.
    I guess I'll have to live with this bad design, because there's no better strategy. The best strategy is still to push to 85 with a single strong squad, anything else just puts your more behind.
  • Like I said. The game is a slow burn. GW isn’t preventing you from progressing. It’s just difficult. That’s it. Unless you’re a whale, this isn’t an immediate satisfaction game.
    GW is frustrating new players without a good reason. That can't be good for this game. Some will stick it out, some will leave.

    Sometimes I think it would be better if GW simply stopped after a random node, instead of throwing you against impossible teams. There's nothing positive coming out of that.
  • Gw prepares you to be better at this game.
    Pumping just 1 team will not solve all thr game modes. You need different teams for. TB, Tw, events, missions, raids etc

    The sooner you accept this, the more efficient your strategy can be. (and the sooner these complaints stop :) )

    It might be a good lesson to learn except you CAN pump one team and clear Galactic War on a daily basis, though admittedly it takes a very strong team.
  • AOHNH wrote: »
    Like I said. The game is a slow burn. GW isn’t preventing you from progressing. It’s just difficult. That’s it. Unless you’re a whale, this isn’t an immediate satisfaction game.
    GW is frustrating new players without a good reason. That can't be good for this game. Some will stick it out, some will leave.

    Sometimes I think it would be better if GW simply stopped after a random node, instead of throwing you against impossible teams. There's nothing positive coming out of that.

    GW has been frustrating new players for the entire life of the game. As for the impossible teams, there’s no completely impossible team. Maybe impossible for you at your juncture, sure. But I’ve seen GW teams that I couldn’t scratch, and they just made me better strategists and showed me what I need to develop for arena.

    There isn’t a reason why it’s difficult. It just is.
  • GW has been frustrating new players for the entire life of the game.
    This is not a counter to my argument. First of all, how is this supposed to be a good reason for it? Second, this is not a new game, and putting unnecessary road blocks in front of new players does far more harm than good at this point. Third, you're not addressing the biggest problem - some players may choose not to continue playing solely due to GW frustration.
    As for the impossible teams, there’s no completely impossible team. Maybe impossible for you at your juncture, sure. But I’ve seen GW teams that I couldn’t scratch, and they just made me better strategists and showed me what I need to develop for arena.
    Those are two completely opposite goals. If I develop my arena team, I hurt my GW performance. This is exactly why the current GW design is so bad.
    There isn’t a reason why it’s difficult. It just is.
    Hence there's no reason to keep it as is.
Sign In or Register to comment.