Revan Rewards

So while I am not a huge fan of Revan or what you need to do to get him the first time around (sell your firstborn, soul, and possibly a kidney), I must say, the rewards for the event are nice. I only completed the first 3 tiers, since I'm FTP and wanted my 7* Bossk before OR toons, but a small shout out to the devs for listening after the awesome Jango event rewards, and stepping up their rewards game.

While it sucks for the first time the event is here I won't be able to get Revan, the rewards are very welcome and will help my roster immensely.

Replies

• scuba
    14047 posts Member
    So while I am not a huge fan of Revan or what you need to do to get him the first time around (sell your firstborn, soul, and possibly a kidney), I must say, the rewards for the event are nice. I only completed the first 3 tiers, since I'm FTP and wanted my 7* Bossk before OR toons, but a small shout out to the devs for listening after the awesome Jango event rewards, and stepping up their rewards game.

While it sucks for the first time the event is here I won't be able to get Revan, the rewards are very welcome and will help my roster immensely.

Don't have kids, sold my soul long ago, still have both kidney's.
    have revan and spent about what it would cost for a night out drinking.
  • LorDPaiN wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »

OMG what do you drink.. ??

Souls, clearly.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    LorDPaiN wrote: »

OMG what do you drink.. ??

$100 bar tab is nothing when factor in a good tip to the keeper of the beer.
  • scuba wrote: »
    ...spent about what it would cost for a night out drinking.

OMG ... that's the most valid argument for spending on the game I've ever seen.

Btw ... Revan cast me approximately 1 vault and a lot of effort.
    And only because I spent all my resources trying to get Chewie to 7 stars (and failed).

• scuba
    14047 posts Member
    Krjstoff wrote: »

And only because I spent all my resources trying to get Chewie to 7 stars (and failed).
    Yeah it was not really as much as many were making it out to be.

This. I actually thought, relative to the other heroes, this was the most player friendly. Both CLS and Rey required two separate factions and a legendary toon to acquire. Revan required a single faction, 2 weeks of runway, packs, 8 attempts per node, and reduced refresh costs to obtain the prerequisites.

Plus, even if you did spend 3 - $400 to get and gear, you now have 6, 7* toons that are viable in some format of the game and 3 of which are immediately Arena viable. Yes, that's a lot of money. But the game has to make money to survive and this is the model for mobile games everywhere. Seriously, kudos to CG for a quality event.

In case anyone is wondering, I didn't get him, but I can still rationally evaluate the situation.

Well, it depends. In my country a vault costs me the same as a month worth of rent. What's the argument now?
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Well, it depends. In my country a vault costs me the same as a month worth of rent. What's the argument now?

I never had an argument. Sorry vaults are so expensive for you. I didn't have to buy one to get revan. I only have the facts from me and those in my guild and no one I know or have talked to have spent the thousands of dollars many claim it cost to get revan.
  • It seems sad to me that people are trying to justify spending a hundred (or several hundred) dollars to unlock a video game character. Most of my life, video games were either $60 up front for a fully unlocked game or maybe had a $10-$15 monthly subscription. Now games expect people to pay hundreds of dollars for DLC or unlockable content and they get away with it because people are willing to buy it.

The devs set up these events with enough warning such that isnt possible to F2P farm the requirements and meta toons become exclusively P2P (and therefore Pay 2 Win) for the first several months. While this is a good way to make money, it is not a good way to make a game (imo). The entire game industry is shifting towards this microtransaction model, often pitting players against each other in a competition of how much they can spend, rather than creating immersive games with great storylines and game play.

Swgoh has done a good job on creating new content, but the game feels like a constant money-grab now. Frankly, if it wasn't for my perceived social obligation to my guild, I likely would have quit this game already.