A message to them

davdeluxe126
4 posts Member
edited October 2018
Dear Devs,

I would like to start by saying that I love this game. It’s the only game that lets me play as my favorite Star Wars characters and have them interact to face other opponents.

I’ve been playing since around the time Darth Sion was released, and I have loved it. We had several new characters with differing roles and factions, with the Bounty Hunters, Scoundrels/Smugglers and Old Republic characters. You’ve been very transparent with outlines, goals and have successfully engaged the community with the hints that led up to Jango Fett, Chewbacca, and especially Revan.
I noticed a sudden shift in the game environment as soon as it was announced that Revan would be unlocked at 7*. I am F2P, and saved up a couple thousand crystals as soon as Bastila came out in anticipation to Revan, and I only them at about halfway from 5* to 6*. There have been enough threads about this, but I will say that I am disappointed that I had the choice to spend $250-$300 or wait until whenever he comes again, and I am in no place to spend that amount of money on him right now, despite the fact that he is my favorite Star Wars character.
There are now over 100,000 posts on the Revan mega thread, yet there has been no response about your reasoning behind the event, the road ahead, or if this will be the new norm. This was made worse since you responded to certain event related questions, but ignored the tens of thousands of other questions and comments about the event. As a community, we would like to know:
Why was Revan released only 2 weeks after T3-M4, Mission Vao and Zaalbar were released for farming?
Will future events require saving 40,000 crystals in order to unlock the character the first time?
When will the Road Ahead be released?
Will there be double drops, bonus drops with Old Republic characters (like you did for the Chewbacca event) or crystal discounts?
Please, you guys were fantastic with your transparency and your accepting and active integration of community feedback. I hope that at least one developer may read this so that this will be worth it. I love this game and only want to help make it better. I didn’t intend in writing this to insult the developers, just to give some feedback. Thank you.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• I'm no Dev but I AM a day 1 f2p player. I will tell you this without question. If you are truly going to be f2p, you will have to realize that when these special toons like this come out, it's going to take you a couple of releases to get the toon. That's just how it is. That's how it's always been since they released GMY as the first event like that. Being a whale in this game gives you about a 3 month advantage on everything. That's what they pay for.

Be patient. In this game EVERYTHING is available for free. You just have to put the work in. And it's a grind. But there isn't anyone who you won't be able to get. It just may take a while. Like take Thrawn for instance. Like I said, I'm a day 1 player who has only missed a handful of days since the game was first released. It took a good 4 or 5 releases for me to be able to get him. But I got him. Just like Raven... It's gonna take probably 4 or 5 releases, but eventually Raven will be mine. It's a grind man. If you want it to be easy, prepare to spend thousands on the game every few months. Because that's what it will take. You either spend thousands or you spend time. Either way, you still get what you want.

And don't complain about these things. Such is life of a f2p player.
  • Speaker4thedead
    444 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Also, don't spend crystals on shards, or at least I wouldn't suggest it. As f2p, those are MUCH MORE valuable as energy refreshes. I refresh regular energy 3x a day. That way I easily get my 600, I have extra energy for gear or hard nodes, and I'm still able to save crystals. Because one of the times those special events come around, you may need a gear or two to get that last person geared up enough, and you can easily drop 4000 crystals on a couple pieces of gear.

That's what I suggest doing with crystals. Buying shards isnt a good value as far as I'm concerned. But what do I know? I'm just a day 1 f2p player who has an incredible lineup and has never spent a dime on the game, but hey... I'm just giving advice.

https://swgoh.gg/p/651137151/
  • It is. I never said I take top in arena. I said it's a grind. It is. And my lineup is the same as people who have spent thousands on the game. But again, what do I know?
  • It is. I never said I take top in arena. I said it's a grind. It is. And my lineup is the same as people who have spent thousands on the game. But again, what do I know?

You have some great speed secondaries on your mods which aren't on your arena team according to swgoh . gg (might be because you switched them for some event and info is outdated though)
    934-111-319
  • Agree with the original poster. I'm a march 16 player and I got thrawn, R2, cls, Bb8, jtr, chewie without spending a penny. Thrawn was tough but all 5 were in easy to farm locations so with focus was absolutely doable. Cls was easy. Bb8 just depended if you'd farmed fo storm-trooper. Jtr was tough too and needed around 10k crystals saved combined with maximising the double drops. Chewie was ok but needed about 5k crystals and some stocked gear. This was also perfectly timed to deplete crystal reserves for the next event...

Revan will need around 40k crystals saved and this has finally crossed the threshold for what is sensible.

It would be nice for the Devs to vocalise their thought process for the timescales of the event and indicate if this change was intentional or just poorly thought out.

Whilst it's nice to see how the character was created, that doesn't really affect us as players. I'd much rather they put as much effort into an event reasoning blog post.
  • My advice would be to never expect to 7* a newly released legendary or hero’s journey toon without spending a couple hundred dollars. I’m mostly ftp, and I’ve never landed the new shiny without spending. The one time I got a new 7* character upon release was JTR—I dropped about $100 to finish off the vet farms in time.

I’ve had very good luck getting them to 7* on the second run of the event. Hardest was Thrawn. It might have taken me 3 or 4 tries to get him to 7*.

Anyway, if you’ve only been playing since the Sion release, consider this a valuable lesson. Expect to unlock these new toons on the second run or later.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • You either spend thousands or you spend time. Either way, you still get what you want.
    It is. I never said I take top in arena. I said it's a grind. It is. And my lineup is the same as people who have spent thousands on the game. But again, what do I know?

And look how it ended for you, for the crystals from arena you can buy 1 refresh of energy. No ambition.
    I am sure you will get revan earlier or later, but Revan right now is not a painting to look at them but more like tool to stay competitive in arena/raid/other event (?). You will get him but your rank will stay the same.
  • BigLib
    42 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I agree with some of you on the fact these toons being made farmable only two weeks before the event is a bit of a kick in the nuts to players.

HOWEVER, as someone previously stated, Revan is free. People keep complaining about a “paywall” but have no idea what that really means. No character in this game is behind a paywall. Every character can be unlocked for free. It just takes more time for those who don’t pay. None of these toons are only unlockable through real life money. Therefore there is no pay wall.

I will accept “pay to win”, especially if Revan is a dominant meta, but from what I’ve seen, he isn’t. So I don’t understand the complaints about this invisible pay wall and people missing out.

There has to be a grind, something that you’re working towards to keep you interested, what’s the point of them being legendary and hard to get if you’re just given them straight away. Where is the fun? At least that’s how I see it.

EDIT: I am a completely F2P player. I haven’t unlocked Revan either.