Can we have a reasonable discussion about arena timers

MJS
102 posts Member
Most of us have seen the latest videos of Revan in arena. These battles go on forever since with all the crazy mechanics that happen, annihilating characters seems to be the only way...

I actually hate arena battles lately because of how long they take, sometimes I put my phone away for 30 seconds or a minute and I end up running out of time. Now we're getting to the point where these battles are going to get even lengthier than that and it doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

There are only two options to solve this issue, we can nerf Revan, but we all know that isn't possible, or we can expand the timer for a an extra minute or two to give us a bigger windiw.

We all need to see the bigger picture here, these lengthy battles aren't fun, they are exactly the opposite... Not everyone has time for 5 minute battles, you do 5 of them and that's a whole 25 minutes. Adding fleet battles that's an extra 15-20 minutes, that's some serious time.

Replies

• It's not only Revan but Bastila-Lead, too.
    A GK with Bastila-Lead may have up to 300k protection. That does not matter - it's beatable, but you have to be very fast.
    One or 2 additional minutes would help a lot.
  • I'd like to see a speed option for 8x
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    MJS wrote: »
    I actually hate arena battles lately because of how long they take, sometimes I put my phone away for 30 seconds or a minute and I end up running out of time.

[...]

There are only two options to solve this issue, we can nerf Revan, but we all know that isn't possible, or we can expand the timer for a an extra minute or two to give us a bigger windiw.

We all need to see the bigger picture here, these lengthy battles aren't fun, they are exactly the opposite... Not everyone has time for 5 minute battles, you do 5 of them and that's a whole 25 minutes. Adding fleet battles that's an extra 15-20 minutes, that's some serious time.

A third option could be to not put away your device during battle — or if you do, then at least put it on auto first.

• Bastilla and revan are cheat because they are to force people to buy... when to much people will have these, they will nerf them or they will add new character that will be more cheat! so wait...
  • Does someone know, if a mirror-fight (Bastila, GK, HY, GMY, Ezra) ends within the time?
    The damage done by that teams is not really high - but protection and life is. Such a fight maybe end in a tie and both teams have about 50% protection?
  • If you increase battle time it affects arena a lot. Can lock position longer etc.
    Having 8x in reality be "Turn animations off" would help
  • Jenjhys wrote: »
    Bastilla and revan are cheat because they are to force people to buy... when to much people will have these, they will nerf them or they will add new character that will be more cheat! so wait...

Agree with Revan but not Bastilla. Ive been farming since release and im about 20 shards away from 7* for her.

Unfortunately the rest of my OR toons are some way off the Revan requirements but my Bastilla is very close
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    kiar1404 wrote: »
    Does someone know, if a mirror-fight (Bastila, GK, HY, GMY, Ezra) ends within the time?
    The damage done by that teams is not really high - but protection and life is. Such a fight maybe end in a tie and both teams have about 50% protection?

On my alt, those mirror battles end with 0:30 — 1:30 left on the clock.
  • time out issue is something that prevents me to climb since months ago by now. I have already opened some threads about this, and usually they ended up with me get insulted and laughted at.
    i started to think that is a precise will to end battles with timeout, that makes whale teams with whale toons (like revan now, before was traya) more resilient so that whales that invested a lot of money can be satisfied with their investments
    with no time out... a 300-500$ toon like revan would perform just like every other f2p toon
    so don't expect any changes at all on this
  • Why are mirror matches at the heart of most of the timeout discussions? When playing rock-paper-scissors if the other player keeps throwing rock, do you throw rock and hope somehow to win?

Outside of mirror matches, these two teams, in my experience, don't lead to too many timeouts. Thrawn is a great counter to both.

As far as faster battles in general, this is fine I suppose. Except that it removes the only viable defensive option people have. I despise timeout teams and would never run one myself but I recognize that options are good. If this one is removed via 8x speed on battles then it should be replaced with other tactics. I haven't seen any outings proposed.
  • personally I am concerned about traya vs revan with jolee matches
  • NgH
    59 posts Member
    I have G12 Palp., Thrawn, Nih., Vader, and G11+5 Sion; playing against lower geared Bastilla teams On 4x, and making rapid decisions on offense, I frequently get down to the last few seconds of the timer. If I have to face a fully geared team, I don't see how it wouldn't time out a lot of the time. I think that op has a legitimate point.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    I play this game on two different devices.

The higher spec device is noticeably faster performance.

If you are experiencing problems can you check your device.

Secondly there are already significant problems that people are locked from arena battles and unable to fight..

If you increase battle length you increase lock length.
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    NgH wrote: »
    I have G12 Palp., Thrawn, Nih., Vader, and G11+5 Sion; playing against lower geared Bastilla teams On 4x, and making rapid decisions on offense, I frequently get down to the last few seconds of the timer. If I have to face a fully geared team, I don't see how it wouldn't time out a lot of the time. I think that op has a legitimate point.

You're choosing to try a really big rock vs paper. It's great that it's generally working for you. It's not designed to work and for many it doesn't. Bastila is a direct counter to debuff heavy teams.

Your experience would be improved if you switched to scissors or avoided paper on your climb.
    Post edited by jhbuchholz on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Your particular situation seems to be an odd one.

Some solutions:
    - dont put your phone away during a battle, so you can have access to the full timer.
    - sud set of the above - try not to battle when you would have to put your phone away randomly
    - focus on counter teams not mirror matches, either picking who you attack or building a team to counter.
    - dont limit your thinking to there only being 2 solutions to your problem.
    - consider time vs reward. It's obvious your time is very important to you and maybe arena shouldnt be your focus if its reducing your enjoyment of the game because of the time required.
  • NgH
    59 posts Member
    jhbuchholz: fair comments now that I have looked into Bastilla counters. I guess I just need to be patient, and wait until I can deepen my roster of G11 and 12 characters.
  • NgH wrote: »
    jhbuchholz: fair comments now that I have looked into Bastilla counters. I guess I just need to be patient, and wait until I can deepen my roster of G11 and 12 characters.

Or you can mod your vader for super high potency. Ep too if you have the mods but I suggest vader first since he gains enough bonus speed to make up for some speed loss. Then you can land debuffs with the opening move and that really speeds up your team. I have both ep and vader loaded with potency and can land debuffs and get about two stuns on average through the extra tenacity.