A Note on the F2P Revan Farm

Prev13
Pyrefly
1254 posts Member
There's been a lot of discussion lately about the farming of the Old Republic characters for Revan's Ancient Journey event. Many have claimed that players were completely unable to farm Revan without spending money. This is simply not true. It was entirely possible to farm the Old Republic characters for Revan without spending any money, without having a stockpile of crystals, and with nothing more than average RNG, for about 800 crystals a day.[/color And obviously, any amount of stockpiled crystals would lower the amount of required crystals per day.
Sound like a bold claim? Well, I didn't show up empty-handed, so read on to see why this claim is not as ridiculous as you might have thought.
Before we dive into the numbers, though, let's establish some ground rules: First, the drop rate of the various Hard Nodes and Cantina Nodes has been pretty well documented at around 33%, or 1/3. We'll consider that to be our average RNG on these farms. Second, I'm approaching this from the perspective of the F2P player, so the farming window starts only once the characters become F2P farmable, meaning each character will start at 50/330 shards (a.k.a. marquee level only); no shipment purchases prior to being released F2P.
With that in mind, I'll start by noting some important dates for the Old Republic farm:
  • 9/12:
    • Bastila Shan farmable on DS Hard Node 5-B (16 energy)
    • Bastila Shan farmable on Fleet Hard Node 2-D (20 energy)
    • Jolee Bindo farmable on DS Hard Node 6-D (16 energy)
    • Jolee Bindo farmable on Fleet Hard Node 4-E (20 energy)
  • 9/26:
    • Zaalbar farmable on LS Hard Node 5-D (16 energy)
    • Zaalbar farmable on Fleet Hard Node 3-C (20 energy)
    • T3-M4 farmable on Cantina Node 6-B (12 energy)
    • Mission Vao farmable on Cantina Node 7-A (16 energy)
    • Three Cantina Energy Packs announced
  • 10/10:
    • Event dates set
    • Faction Pack becomes available
  • 10/18: Event starts
  • 10/24: Event ends
When evaluating farming methods, there are generally two aspects that are considered desirable: efficiency and speed. For obvious reasons, those two aspects are very rarely found together in the same farming method. In any kind of panic farm, the most efficient unlimited farming method becomes the baseline. In the list below, I've noted the baseline in yellow, more efficient (but limited) farming methods in green, and less efficient farming methods in orange. The upper bound for farming methods is the one with guaranteed, controlled results, noted in red. Anything higher is omitted.
So let's look at the crystal/shard costs for the Old Republic farming methods:
  • LS/DS Hard Nodes:
    • 30 c/s – 1st Node Refresh (25) + 1st tier Energy Refresh (50) for 7.5 pulls
    • 40 c/s – 2nd Node Refresh (50) + 1st tier Energy Refresh (50) for 7.5 pulls
    • 48 c/s – Faction Pack (699)
    • 60 c/s – 2nd Node Refresh (50) + 2nd tier Energy Refresh (100) for 7.5 pulls
    • 60 c/s – Faction Pack (699) with one character already maxed
    • 80 c/s – Faction Pack (699) with two characters already maxed
    • 80 c/s – Shipments
  • Fleet Hard Nodes:
    • 50 c/s – 1st tier Energy Refresh (100) for 6 pulls
    • 63 c/s – 1st Node Refresh (25) + 1st tier Energy Refresh (100) for 6 pulls
    • 75 c/s – 2nd Node Refresh (50) + 1st tier Energy Refresh (100) for 6 pulls
    • 80 c/s – Shipments
  • Cantina Nodes:
    • 30 c/s – 1st tier Energy Refresh (100) for 12 Energy Nodes
    • 34 c/s – Cantina Energy pack (600) for 12 Energy Nodes
    • 40 c/s – 1st tier Energy Refresh (100) for 16 Energy Nodes
    • 45 c/s – Cantina Energy pack (600) for 16 Energy Nodes
    • 60 c/s – 2nd tier Energy Refresh (200) for 12 Energy Nodes
    • 80 c/s – Shipments
Some might wonder at the use of Faction Packs as the baseline for this farm, but their inclusion is a relatively safe assumption for a few reasons. For one, each event since at least Thrawn's event has had an attendant Faction Pack, and all have been priced at 699. The presence of a Faction Pack makes inherent sense, anyway, since they're the primary source of panic farming available. Real money packs are always capped at one purchase each, so not having an option purchasable with crystals simply wouldn't make sense. And now that the <<pack probabilities>> have been posted, we can see that the Faction Packs have an average drop rate of 14.62 shards per pack, which makes them surprisingly far more efficient than shipments.
Also, these events tend to be timed, for obvious reasons, such that any halfway-efficient (ie, non-shipment) farming would get you close, but not all the way to your goal, barring extremely good RNG. Knowing that, the smart way to farm is to do all farming methods that are more efficient than the baseline, but not do any farming methods that are worse than the baseline, while attempting to keep the characters farmed as evenly as possible to allow for a more efficient use of Faction Packs, and making sure to purchase those Faction Packs as soon as possible, giving you time to adjust your subsequent farming to avoid overages.
Using this strategy, the most efficient farm is as follows:
From 9/12 to 9/26 (14 days):
  • Using free Energy and three 1st tier Energy Refreshes each day split evenly between Bastila and Jolee yields 214 (735 energy x 14 days / 48 energy per shard [16 energy per pull x 0.33 drop rate]) shards (+107 Bastila, +107 Jolee) at a cost of 4050 (50 crystals for tier 1 refresh x 3 per day x 14 days + 150 crystals for 4 node refreshes [25 + 25 + 50 + 50] x 11 days + 100 crystals for 3 node refreshes [25 + 25 + 50] x 3 days) crystals.
  • Using free Fleet energy each day split evenly between Bastila and Jolee yields 38 (165x14/60) shards (+19 Bastila, +19 Jolee) at a cost of 0 crystals.
From 9/26 to 10/24 (29 days):
  • Using free Energy and three 1st tier Energy Refreshes each day with a bias towards Zaalbar yields 444 (735x29/48) shards (+145 Bastila, +145 Jolee, +154 Zaalbar) at a cost of 6350 (50x3x29 + 75x22 + 50x7) crystals.
  • Using free Fleet energy each day with a bias towards Zaalbar yields 79 (165x29/60) shards (+1 Bastila, +1 Jolee, +77 Zaalbar) at a cost of 0 crystals.
  • Using free Cantina Energy and three 1st tier Cantina Energy Refreshes each day as well as the three Cantina Energy Packs split evenly between T3 and Mission yields 408 (525x29/42 + 640x3/42) shards (+204 T3, +204 Mission) at a cost of 10500 (300x29 + 600x3) crystals.
After 43 farming days, you'd be at 322/330 for Bastila, 322/330 for Jolee, 281/330 for Zaalbar, 254/330 for T3, and 254/330 for Mission for a cost of 20900 crystals. That brings you to within 217 shards of your target for only 486 crystals a day.
In a perfectly average world, you'd have obtained the remaining shards via 15 Faction Packs at a cost of 10485 (699x15) crystals, bringing you to 31385 crystals total, which is 730 crystals a day. Because the farming methods for each character are uneven, however, it is extremely unlikley that 15 packs will be split perfectly to offset the imbalance. Increasing the Faction Pack purchases to 26 (which represents 380 shards, enough to average 76 shards per character) would cost 18174 (699x26) crystals. This would lead to a combined 163 shards of Bastila, Jolee, and Zaalbar not needing to be farmed from regular energy, which would save you 4890 (163x30) crystals and lead to a total crystal count of 34184 crystals, which is 795 crystals a day. 795 crystals a day also equates to 680 crystals a day with a 5k crystal stockpile, 565 crystals a day with a 10k stockpile, 445 crystals a day with a 15k stockpile, etc.
But what if you didn't know about or plan to use Faction Packs? In that case, you'd use 8 tier 1 Fleet Energy Refreshes at a cost of 800 (100x8) crystals at any point in your farm to finish off the last 16 shards of Bastila and Jolee. Then you'd use 20 tier 2 Energy Refreshes costing 2000 (100x20) crystals between 9/26 and 10/24 along with 19 2nd Node Refreshes costing 950 (50x19) crystals on Zaalbar to farm his remaining 49 shards. You'd also completely finish T3 before starting Mission using Cantina energy, which means you'd end up needing to buy 133 shards of Mission from shipments at a cost of 10880 (136x80) crystals. That would put your total at 35530 crystals, which is 830 crystals a day. 830 crystals a day also equates to 710 crystals a day with a 5k crystal stockpile, 595 crystals a day with a 10k stockpile, 480 crystals a day with a 15k stockpile, etc.
As you can see, it is quite possible to have farmed Revan without any spending, preparation, or even good luck. Of course, not everyone earns 800 crystals or more a day, but even those who earn less could have laid in a stockpile in order to do so. And from the moment the marquees hit, we've had a fairly standard countdown to this event. All five characters were shuffled first to shipments and then to farming locations in the expected amount of time per the release cadence. So the timing of the event really shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise.
Ultimately, the success of an FTP player comes down to resource management, smart decisions, and focus. One of the things I've heard a lot from other players is that they weren't farming the Old Republic characters because they were still farming for Chewie, or JTR, or 'x' other player, and they were caught off-guard by the Revan announcement, not having time to switch farms and still get the Old Republic characters in time. That's fine, but that's a choice. Even without a definitive announcement at the time, I think the prevailing opinion was that the release of five Old Republic characters heralded Revan. The mistake people made was believing that they'd have a chance to F2P farm those characters completely after an official Revan announcement was made. And that will pretty much never be the case.
swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!

Replies

• Options
    Pretty cool guide. I'm FTP but I get nowhere close to 800 crystals a day. Its more like maybe 100-200ish. I've been farming the old republic toons since the revan announcement, and am still a very long ways off. I'm mainly focusing on Bastilla (since I use a jedi team with her), Z, and Jolee from the LS/DS nodes and ship node.

Cantina i'm still going hard for vet Han.
  • Turvantus
    223 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Amusing to think that the ‘average’ player can make nearly 800 crystals a day...considering realistically it’s closer to half that.

Not sure what cloud you’re living in, but ‘usually’ those that pay earn the big crystal payouts in ranked systems. Ie: rich get richer system.

Cute and colorful wall though.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    Turvantus wrote: »
    Amusing to think that the ‘average’ player can make nearly 800 crystals a day...considering realistically it’s closer to half that.
    I said "average RNG", not "average F2P player". I specifically stated that not everyone is capable of getting 800 crystals a day, but that that total could be offset by laying in a stockpile of crystals. A stockpile was not absolutely necessary, however, for the high-end F2Pers.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Options
    This is utter nonsense. You would have to be above the top 50 in fleet and pvp for your shards, which for a majority of f2p players this is impossible. I began stockpiling the minute that the characters were announced and farming the characters when they went f2p farmable. I am in the top 100 of my PVP shard and I don't get crystals from my fleet ranking (top 200). I had a very organized crystal spending plan in place and I would have attained all of the characters to 7* by mid November at the earliest. I would have been willing to spend the money for the guaranteed packs or more crystals if the event dropped late october or early november, because I would have been under $60, therefore breaking the f2p model. With it releasing last week and being announced only a week before that I would have had to spend around $175 which is way more than I was willing to spend.

I dedicated all my farming, all my crystals, and a lot of time to farming the old republic toons. I have 3 at 6* and 2 halfway to 6*. So unless you were in the top tiers of your shards which isn't always possible, he was unavailable this first time around for f2p people. Don't say it was lack of management, when I did the best I could with my available resources. The event was released too soon for us, and ultimately this was CG's decision. I will have to unlock him in 4-6 months.
  • Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    I said "average RNG", not "average F2P player". I specifically stated that not everyone is capable of getting 800 crystals a day, but that that total could be offset by laying in a stockpile of crystals. A stockpile was not absolutely necessary, however, for the high-end F2Pers.

So your post was not only an attempt to convince us that this wasn’t a whale exclusive event first time around, but at least the top 2% of FTP could have had him too...

Maybe that response needed more colors too. Adds to the convincing factor.

• Options

So your post was not only an attempt to convince us that this wasn’t a whale exclusive event first time around, but at least the top 2% of FTP could have had him too...

Maybe that response needed more colors too. Adds to the convincing factor.

Obviously his point was to show us how to paint with all the colors of the forums.

But yeah, the point about only 2% of FTP players getting it is frustrating. Obviously these 2% of FTP players are either stockpilers for almost a year, or have whale friends that got them into a good guild, or they are retired whales that have made it to the top arenas and make a huge income. Not for the true and standard FTP players.
  • Options
    Ill preface this by saying I have no desire to farm for Revan and could care less to even have him. That being said a couple of things I see wrong here are:

- Assuming that average players get 800 crystals a day and if not they likely have a stockpile of crystals saved up. Most F2P players that arent ranking in large amounts of daily crystals are far more likely to spend them as they get them to farm and level, not to save for rainy days.
    - You are assuming everyone knew that the KOTOR toons would be needed for some sort of unlock, when in reality it was all conjecture at best.
    - You are assuming people started farming these toons as soon as they became available in lieu of other farms they already had going.
    - Most of the other toons pretty much suck aside from Bastilla, so I dont see why anyone would have changed what they were doing just in case they were necessary for some type of event or unlock.

The problem is the shrouded secrecy they have around these type of events that tends to make everyone mad. If they had said once the KOTOR toons were released they would be needed for Revan or some other unlock so people knew they werent wasting their time, then it becomes a more worthy farm but until they change this thought process theres always going to be ragers.

With all this being said, not getting him on the first go around really isnt that big a deal and people tend to whine if they cant get them the first time around (Never understood that but whatever) but again not knowing when his event will come around again (3 months? 6? a year?) is another compounded issue that is making people upset.

Long story short the communication needs to be better but that will tend to only hurt their bottom line as less people will plop down cash for panic farms then if they keep with the status quo.
  • ottomaddux
    490 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

The problem is very few F2P players CAN make 800 crystals per day. I am in an old shard where the top 50 players are whales. I am lucky if I pull top 50, and I am a dolphin.
  • Options
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    This is utter nonsense. You would have to be above the top 50 in fleet and pvp for your shards, which for a majority of f2p players this is impossible. I began stockpiling the minute that the characters were announced and farming the characters when they went f2p farmable. I am in the top 100 of my PVP shard and I don't get crystals from my fleet ranking (top 200). I had a very organized crystal spending plan in place and I would have attained all of the characters to 7* by mid November at the earliest. I would have been willing to spend the money for the guaranteed packs or more crystals if the event dropped late october or early november, because I would have been under $60, therefore breaking the f2p model. With it releasing last week and being announced only a week before that I would have had to spend around $175 which is way more than I was willing to spend.

I dedicated all my farming, all my crystals, and a lot of time to farming the old republic toons. I have 3 at 6* and 2 halfway to 6*. So unless you were in the top tiers of your shards which isn't always possible, he was unavailable this first time around for f2p people. Don't say it was lack of management, when I did the best I could with my available resources. The event was released too soon for us, and ultimately this was CG's decision. I will have to unlock him in 4-6 months.

You miss read what he was saying. Top fifty isn't even close you have to pull first in both everyday. Utter nonsense.
  • Options
    Pyrefly, you do realize that by posting this you just lost any credibility you might ever have had.
  • Options
    I will admit that the KotOR toons don’t necessarily stink. They all have a well placed niche. Most of them are in fact quite incredible in Sith Raid. Course this is mostly utilized by the haves - as opposed to have nots.

However this topic isn’t in support or lack there of for the toons themselves. This is about some nonsensical notion that anything below a whale or extremely small percentile of F2P’s had a shot at Revan. Which they didn’t.

I don’t know about your shard but I have 6, and they’re all whales at top ... 6. Imagine that.
  • Options
    I do like the implication that if you weren't able to get him it is because you don't have good crystal management skills. That shows class.
  • Options
    I'm in a November 2015 shard. Many people have Revan. Most bought him like they do every time a new character is released.

I'll farm them on my schedule. I don't need anyone to tell me how it's possible.
  • SithLordB1977
    59 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    This is an example when the less said would have been the right move. There should be no picking at fresh scabs.
  • Options
    ottomaddux wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »

You miss read what he was saying. Top fifty isn't even close you have to pull first in both everyday. Utter nonsense.

I honestly didn't even check to see how high you have to rank to pull in 800 per day. But good point.
  • Options
    WOW!! I wished I lived in this dream world. Don't know what you're smoking, Pyrefly, but pass it to the rest of us. Your fancy convoluted and colorful analysis may seem good on paper, but I dare you to put it into actual practice using a genuine FTP account like the rest of us.
  • Options
    This must have been a troll post.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    - Assuming that average players get 800 crystals a day and if not they likely have a stockpile of crystals saved up. Most F2P players that arent ranking in large amounts of daily crystals are far more likely to spend them as they get them to farm and level, not to save for rainy days.
    Again, I never said that there should be an expectation that the average F2P player should get Revan on the first time. The average F2P player will be able to get Revan on the second time. The dedicated, high-end, focused F2P player should be able to get Revan on the first time.
    - You are assuming everyone knew that the KOTOR toons would be needed for some sort of unlock, when in reality it was all conjecture at best.
    When a new faction tag is created and five characters are quickly released for that faction tag, I think anyone who is honest with themselves will admit that it's not really conjecture at that point, merely timing. It might have been different if those characters all had super-synergy and were released as a standalone squad, but about the only thing these 5 characters had in common was Revan, whom most people assumed would come to the game at some point. The writing was on the wall from the very first Old Republic announcement.
    - You are assuming people started farming these toons as soon as they became available in lieu of other farms they already had going.
    As I said, Revan was available with focus. Focus means making a choice to not spread your attention too thin.
    - Most of the other toons pretty much suck aside from Bastilla, so I dont see why anyone would have changed what they were doing just in case they were necessary for some type of event or unlock.
    And yet, the beauty of this farming speculation was that it didn't require a big investment until the announcement was made. All it required was that you stop farming other things, and save your excess crystal income for a while. If, for some reason, you were wrong and the event wasn't coming, you'd still have all those crystals available for whatever else you wanted. The big spending came about for Faction Packs of Shipments, but only after the announcement on 10/10, let alone the teaser on 10/5.
    The problem is the shrouded secrecy they have around these type of events that tends to make everyone mad. If they had said once the KOTOR toons were released they would be needed for Revan or some other unlock so people knew they werent wasting their time, then it becomes a more worthy farm but until they change this thought process theres always going to be ragers.
    The goal isn't to make it too easy to get a legendary character. It actually diminishes the quality of the reward, if it's too widely available. But it's important that it also be available to those with the foresight and dedication to focus on it without a definitive statement.
    With all this being said, not getting him on the first go around really isnt that big a deal and people tend to whine if they cant get them the first time around (Never understood that but whatever) but again not knowing when his event will come around again (3 months? 6? a year?) is another compounded issue that is making people upset.
    Most players who aren't P2P or high-end F2P won't feel the effects of not having Revan the first time too keenly, true. And not knowing the precise date goes back to the last point. People should just be prepared when they want to be prepared.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    wow just wow. What your saying is if you’ve paid to be the top in both arenas you could easily farmed OR. Brilliant
  • TSWPandaman
    81 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    So, for the f2p to get it, we should :
    -Not have believed CG saying that there would not be an event early requiring these characters

Stop farming every other character we were farming, and powerfarm 4 useless characters to us (Zaalbar, MV, Jolee and T3) as soon as they got out

-Still be competiting in arena to get 800 crystals a day

Don't say it was possible for F2P. It was WAY TOO MUCH OF A GAMBLE to be acceptable by f2p.

It was not.

EDIT :

Don't forget that those who had savings used it all to farm BH gear to get chewy done 3 weeks earlier.
  • Options
    Also neglects to mention the gearing requirements that would be needed as well.
  • Options
    And what if you happened to lose the 50/50 coin toss of the marquees and farmed Solo toons instead, expecting Beckett or Maul as a new Legendary? CG never said either would be needed for anything just "hey! New content! Enjoy..."

You're behind purely on bad luck. But you can do that cool smuggling event...

800 crystals a day. I started laughing at that point. If you're F2P and earning 200 or less on top of daily activities I highly doubt you'd be stockpiling them "just in case". Very high probability you'd be using them to try to improve or switch squads to earn more crystals in either arena.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    ottomaddux wrote: »
    Top fifty isn't even close you have to pull first in both everyday. Utter nonsense.
    Top 5, not first. And that's with zero stockpiled crystals. Obviously, it's possible for those who place lower, but stockpiled some crystals.
  • Options
    The way you condescendingly use the words "Focus", "Dedicated", and "Management" is ridiculous. Trust me, I used all of my crystal income, all of my energy, and even dedicated my sleep schedule to make sure I would always get the most out of my farming schedule. There is also no way to maintain first place ranking for longer than 3 minutes as a F2P pure. Trust us, we accept that reality. But don't tell us that we lacked the drive to get Revan from day one, because I didn't. I was incredibly dedicated to getting him, but I didn't have as large of a stockpile as my only guild mate that actually got him. And he still had to whale out $150 to get him.
  • Options

Oh, you mean you don't have 7 stun guns stockpiled? Amateur.
  • LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    When a new faction tag is created and five characters are quickly released for that faction tag, I think anyone who is honest with themselves will admit that it's not really conjecture at that point, merely timing. It might have been different if those characters all had super-synergy and were released as a standalone squad, but about the only thing these 5 characters had in common was Revan, whom most people assumed would come to the game at some point. The writing was on the wall from the very first Old Republic announcement.

If this is so, then where's the Legendary event for the Rogue One faction tag or the legendary event for the Smuggler faction tag? Shall I go on? Just because a new faction tag is released with new characters doesn't always mean that we'll be getting a legendary for it.
  • Options
    This is a beautiful post. I wish I had all these numbers when I was farming for Revan. Could have saved me a few thousand crystal.
  • Options
    What a pity that I didn't know the future :o
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    wow just wow. What your saying is if you’ve paid to be the top in both arenas you could easily farmed OR. Brilliant
    There are plenty of F2P players who are top 5 in arenas. Not most of them, of course, but paying is not a requirement to place well.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    The Revan event was doable at G7-G8.
This discussion has been closed.