New Player - just a few quick questions

Prev1
Howdy,

Im tring to keep this short, since I know you already heard it all and might get tired.

so Im playing for a week now, and just toay I discovered this forum and ofc the swgoh page (here my ID: https://swgoh.gg/u/denzelw )

naturally I had no idead about phoenix squad and unlocks etc, just went with my guts and tried to figure out the best possible toons to farm who are in my range...currently running with this, in case swgoh wont show:
fzmrea22ct0d.jpg

basically im farming boba fett, lando and mace right now...question is, shall I go on or switch to farm Phoenix team? is it too late by this point?
and maybe any other advice on what to farm come lvl 40-50-60?

had literally no clue, that certain squads unlock other higher chars come endgame :open_mouth:

Replies

• Options
    switch now phoenix will help you with a lot in the game, check out the guides in the new player section, get some high level allies + get into a guild doing heroic rancor as soon as you get a 7* toon
  • Denzello
    27 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ok will switch to phoenix then...guess boba, mace and lando will become obsolete in higher tiers anyway

edit: is it actually worth buying those 20 bucks data cards? or spend the money on crystals rather?
    Post edited by Denzello on
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Regarding the characters, you have farmed until now:

Boba is definately worth it still. Farming his hard nodes will not conflict with farming Phoenix.
    JC has his uses as well. He can help you unlock GM Yoda and Mid-to-late game my alt still uses his ship to take high ranks in fleet arena (No geos yet).
    Talia will have her uses in end-game, but you can put her on the shelf for now.
    CW Chewie is high enough rank at 4* to do his job in credit heist. No need to promote him further.
    You will receive several shards for ewok scout and snowtrooper in bronzium packs. No need to farm their nodes.
    Mace's ship was ok until ships 2.0 was introduced a few months back. Now it's too weak. No need to farm Mace.
  • Options
    Denzello wrote: »
    ok will switch to phoenix then...guess boba, mace and lando will become obsolete in higher tiers anyway

edit: is it actually worth buying those 20 bucks data cards? or spend the money on crystals rather?

The value of the data cards is entirely up to you. I like to refresh my Cantina energy once a day and my regular energy 2 or 3 times, so I sometimes buy crystals to pay for that. I wouldn't recommend any of the cards that give you random shards. Those always seem to disappoint.
  • Options
    papy72 wrote: »
    The value of the data cards is entirely up to you.

I see...just out of curiosity tho, lets say I would buy Vader, Sidious, Palpetine, Thrawn, etc.(assuming they're on sale, if its even possible) through data cards at lvl 36, would I still need phoenix team? or move on to the next team?
    I apologize in advance if my questions may sound stupid and ignorant, just trying to get a better understanding
  • Damon_Skye
    82 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Agree with everyone above - very early stages of this excellent game for you, so no worries switching. Phoenix is definitely the way forward - great squad that work together really well and unlock key characters and ships.
    Farm them to 7 stars and you will not regret it!
    Post edited by Damon_Skye on
  • Options
    z8udo3vxyp2v.png

thats why phoenix are important they help unlock palpatine / thrawn + thrawns ship
  • Options

I see...just out of curiosity tho, lets say I would buy Vader, Sidious, Palpetine, Thrawn, etc.(assuming they're on sale, if its even possible) through data cards at lvl 36, would I still need phoenix team? or move on to the next team?
    I apologize in advance if my questions may sound stupid and ignorant, just trying to get a better understanding

No worries. As the saying goes, the only stupid question is the question that is never asked.

The one $20 pack even I am looking at is Vader. His shards are so rare (though he does show up in the Fleet store every now and then) that 80 shards of him is very tempting. But if you have the patience to wait for his shards in Fleet then skip that pack. If you do farm him in Fleet though, you really need to keep those 400 fleet currency banked up and check the store after every refresh or you will miss them.

But Thrawn and his ship, the Chimaera, are only obtainable through special events, and ONLY by Phoenix squad. So if you want a 7* Thrawn (one of the best characters in the game) you will need a full 7* Phoenix team.

Emperor Palpatine is a bit different. He is also a special event, but his event only requires a 7* Rebel team. And Phoenix squad just happen to all be Rebels, so farming them to 7* will get you two very powerful characters.
  • Denzello
    27 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    wow thank you very much, that did help me indeed :)

question is...where does vader rank amongst the most powerful toons ingame even in endgame content...and is he really worth it or will he be a bench player eventually.

oh and btw, I only need 5/6 phoenix right? since that pic above shows all the members
  • Options

question is...where does vader rank amongst the most powerful toons ingame even in endgame content...and is he really worth it or will he be a bench player eventually.

oh and btw, I only 5/6 phoenix right?

Vader is very, very good. Totally worth it.

And yes, you only need 5/6 Phoenix. A popular suggestion (and one I am doing) is to back-burner Sabine, as her hard-node grind is lengthy.

• papy72
    182 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    BTW here is a link showing Vader: https://swgoh.gg/characters/darth-vader/
    Just look at Inspiring Through Fear and No Escape. Those are some seriously strong abilities.
  • Options
    vader has 1 of the best ships in the game, he was meta for a while but has since been pushed out. he is still really good for raids etc but i would mainly say for his ship.
    as for sabine she is good also but a long farm the other 5 are easier to get
    palps + thrawn are still meta so you really want to get those 2 asap
  • Options
    yeah, got me some crystals to keep on farming phoenix, will buy vader later on on higher lvls.
    thx everyone for the help :)
  • Options

In regards any data card that is available to you, obviously they will help you and it is completely up to you how much money you wish to invest in this game. Some people will spend thousands, others not a penny. One thing i would say tho is every toon you can get from a data card you can get from other areas of the game for free. And before you buy any data cards with real money ask yourself:

- How much time am i saving by getting these shards?
    - Are the shards i get really going to benefit me in important areas of the game?
    And MOST IMPORTANTLY
    - Can i really afford this pack?

It is super easy to splash the cash in this game with some of the great offers and it doesn't feel like money is actually leaving your bank as you cant physically see it. But always make sure that you are only spending what you can afford. This is a great game and really fun to play but never put yourself in financial difficulty which can easily be done!

• Options
    I'll echo the "switch now" crowd. Lots has changed since those pillars LynnYoda referenced above had come out, but the importance of Phoenix, especially early on, is still very much the best place to start. And with only a couple of weeks playing, you aren't behind anything just yet.

Boba is definitely not obsolete. Bounty Hunters have recently become one of the most important factions in the game and Boba Fett works in pretty much any BH team. Plus he has a really good ship.

As for Lando and Mace, yeah, I'd skip them. Lando used to be an important toon for credit heists, but considering all BHs have scoundrel tags, just build a Bounty Hunter team early on and get another multi-purpose faction that opens a lot of doors. Mace is just garbage. There are better routes to go for unlocking Grand Master Yoda, and he's the 4th best (of 4) capital ship in the game.
  • Options

oh and btw, I only need 5/6 phoenix right? since that pic above shows all the members

Vader i still end game viable. Not currently meta but still competitive. I run ep lead in arena in a shard of trayas and revans and can still get top 10 or 20. And I still use his ship in fleet arena and take first most days.
  • Options
    A little off topic but I must say it’s nice to see the community help a new player out and answer all his/her questions without being ignored!

Phoenix are good for more than just getting Thrawn and Palp. They’re a good Territory War (TW) defense team, and a good arena team in early shards (like yourself), their ships are half decent.

Vader is worth it for raids and his ship is a one of the best in the game (ship speed is increased via upgrading the toon but you’ll learn that later on).

The general consensus is to focus on pheonix until you have them at 7* and unlock the legendary toons then switch to an empire squad to get higher in your arena. When you’ve done that you can come back and ask for more help or just read the forums and you’ll get the gist of it all! Good luck!
  • Options
    Phoenix are needed for some TB special missions, and are really just used in TW as a way to force the opponent to use up certain teams. Most Phoenix teams (not the g12 zeta ones) are easily defeated, because everyone knows how to beat them. It's why you see a territory with 23 phoenix teams, and all of them were defeated in 1 battle.

Good TW teams force the opponent to waste multiple teams. I've seen one team soak as many as 16 opposing teams. THAT's a good TW team.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Darth_DeVito
    1233 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm level 66 and I only started reading guides about a week ago. Of course I didn't know about the Phoenix team and took a very different route. I only farmed Sabine, the least crucial character as it turns out, like a fool simply because I liked her on SW Rebels :p Most of my characters were unlocked and promoted by sheer accident. And yet, I still managed to put several well-rounded teams together, including a rebel team that initially consisted of Ackbar, Leia, Biggs, Farmboy Luke & Stormtrooper Han (who pulls double duty on my scoundrel team).

It's only now that I'm slowly farming the other Phoenix members, but it doesn't seem like a high priority project at this point since my existing rebel team works well enough. I don't even need their ships for now. Between the ships of Jedi Consular & Ahsoka, Clone ARC & Resistance X-Wing, Imperial & First Order TIEs, the Geonosians, and Kylo's TIE Silencer, there is so much content that the game almost handed to me on a silver platter without me having any real clue what I was doing.

My point is that it's entirely possible to level the Phoenix team relatively late into the game, much later than you're doing now. They really do make a great Arena team early on though. I've had my butt handed to me by Phoenix squads so many times :neutral: But my scoundrel team did ok, and I currently love my nightsisters with their near-unkillable zombie tank.
    Speaking of NS, I found Talia invaluable as a healer in dark side teams. She can also enable NS Zombie's Endless Horde ability on mixed teams as long as she's alive. And she makes an ok team leader in a bind even though non-NS allies only get half of her evasion bonus. I don't disagree with the advice of far more experienced players to put her on the backburner, but personally, I wouldn't have made it this far without Talia.

As for the data cards, I bought a few with single characters plus money, gear & training droids when they were on offer for ca. 12 bucks. I personally found found them a lot more useful than faction packs with a random number of shards. It's a nice way to add a character to the roster and immediately pull them up to level 40-ish, or even spend the money & gear on a different character.
  • Beyol
    328 posts Member
    Options
    You get a few Vader shards by completing achievements.
  • Options
    Also, don't underestimate the value of a Phoenix squad for Galactic Wars (you are doing those every day, right?). I used Phoenix for most of the battles, only switching to my Empire team for the tougher battles. With all the sharing of health and protection they do, you can come out of a battle stronger than when you went in.
  • Options
    Phoenix is also invaluable early on in completing the Galactic War. Especially before you can get a scoundrel (as I said above, go full BH) team together for credit heists, GW is the main source of credits for upgrading and levelling characters.
  • Options
    Switch to Phoenix. It'll help you in the long run. Don't give up on Fett and Lando. Scoundrels are useful to have and those 2 are solid toons.
  • Options
    really nice, alot of useful information from you guys :)

the picture became clearer now...one more question tho: you can only get pal and thrawn during the event right? they dont auto unlock as soon as you have 5/6 phoenix members? also is there a level restriction on when you can unlock them?
  • Options
    That’s right - you can only get them when their event comes round. We are due a calendar of events for November soon, so keep an eye out for that. They were both last around in September, so maybe have to wait a little longer which gives you more farming time!

You unlock the characters at 5* level so keep beefing your Phoenix crew as much as poss so you can promote them both as high as are able - all the best!
  • Options
    Damon_Skye wrote: »
    You unlock the characters at 5* level so keep beefing your Phoenix crew as much as poss so you can promote them both as high as are able - all the best!

**** 5 star? that will take a while lol - thank you for the help mate
    also is there a way to see what char unlocks other chars?
  • Options
    https://www.swgoh.help/

put your swgoh.gg code / ally code in and hit go, gives you all the info for all the events and even shows you how close you are to doing it
  • Options
    Damon_Skye wrote: »

**** 5 star? that will take a while lol - thank you for the help mate
    also is there a way to see what char unlocks other chars?
    5*s will go faster thsn you think. It's 6 and 7*s thst take a while. :)
  • Options
    yeah meanwhile Im 44 and got the phoenix together...but still, it kinda bothers me that theres nothing else to do or accomplish once everything is done and on a timer....I want to keep on playing and grind lol...@Devs please put something in there for sub lvl 60s to do, usually im done with everything after 1 or 2 hours....

anyway, by now I read most of the guides and threads, thx everyone for your help and input, really appreciate it