Interesting gear observation

MJS
102 posts Member
I have found that some of the worst gear drop rates occur when I try to farm blue, green and even some white pieces! It doesn't happen with all blue, green and white pieces but some specific ones like the blue mk2 Holi projectors and the white MK2 electrobinoculars.

I think this is really sad considering that this is supposed to be easy to aquire gear. I encourage more people to look into to this.

Replies

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Do you have any stats to back your claim up?
  • MJS
    102 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

Just weeks of poor rates and many "wasted" crystal refreshes. I've actually spent a considerable amount of crystals and after doing like 10-12 attempts or so, needing only 5-6 more pieces I end up having to do a second or even a 3rd refresh. Some times a refresh will have me and up with 1-2 pieces at the most and that's b/g/w (blue/green/white).

I started noticing this when I begun to gear up my SOLO and Old republic characters recently, I found them regularly stuck at g4-5 due to lack of b/g/w gear and my refreshes wouldn't take me anywhere. So no, I have no hard evidence but I am convinced that it's true
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    MJS wrote: »

Just weeks of poor rates and many "wasted" crystal refreshes. I've actually spent a considerable amount of crystals and after doing like 10-12 attempts or so, needing only 5-6 more pieces I end up having to do a second or even a 3rd refresh. Some times a refresh will have me and up with 1-2 pieces at the most and that's b/g/w (blue/green/white).

I started noticing this when I begun to gear up my SOLO and Old republic characters recently, I found them regularly stuck at g4-5 due to lack of b/g/w gear and my refreshes wouldn't take me anywhere. So no, I have no hard evidence but I am convinced that it's true

You should record your data, that is what should convince you more than anything.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

You should record your data, that is what should convince you more than anything.

You're right but the thing is that this is very consistent. For example, take hard nodes; I currently farm zalbar, vandor Chewbacca, Bastila, Jolee and Bossk. The past 3 days I saw, 1 shard average on the one day, made me mad, the second day I got about 2 shards average, today I got 4 shards average, I was very excited, I ended up with 5 shads for Jolee and Bossk, 4 for Bastila, 3+3 for zalbar and vandor. So it averages out.

Same thing for Lando in ship hard nodes and Mission in cantina. One good day, one bad day but it averages out. This is the only thing that consistently let's me down way more often than not which is why I brought it up.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

You're right but the thing is that this is very consistent. For example, take hard nodes; I currently farm zalbar, vandor Chewbacca, Bastila, Jolee and Bossk. The past 3 days I saw, 1 shard average on the one day, made me mad, the second day I got about 2 shards average, today I got 4 shards average, I was very excited, I ended up with 5 shads for Jolee and Bossk, 4 for Bastila, 3+3 for zalbar and vandor. So it averages out.

Same thing for Lando in ship hard nodes and Mission in cantina. One good day, one bad day but it averages out. This is the only thing that consistently let's me down way more often than not which is why I brought it up.

Shard drop rates are (seemingly along all samples) a flat %30. This is not true for gear.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member
    Not all b/g/w gear has bad drops rates. In fact some pieces have an amazing drop rate. It's just specific pieces. I think this is intentional to pace the progress of new players. Since they are limited by their levels this gear is their bottleneck. So that's fair, but I think the same rules shouldn't apply to a long time player who's got like 35 g12 Characters. We have different bottlenecks to deal with, adding lower end gear to it is excessive. I would probably think that there should be an adjustment to the algorithm based on how long you have played that lower end gear drop rates on bottleneck pieces should increase over time, to allow old players a smoother gaming experience and maintain the new player bottlenecks on blue and green gear.
  • MJS wrote: »
    Not all b/g/w gear has bad drops rates. In fact some pieces have an amazing drop rate. It's just specific pieces. I think this is intentional to pace the progress of new players. Since they are limited by their levels this gear is their bottleneck. So that's fair, but I think the same rules shouldn't apply to a long time player who's got like 35 g12 Characters. We have different bottlenecks to deal with, adding lower end gear to it is excessive. I would probably think that there should be an adjustment to the algorithm based on how long you have played that lower end gear drop rates on bottleneck pieces should increase over time, to allow old players a smoother gaming experience and maintain the new player bottlenecks on blue and green gear.

You may be right. But without hard data, your conclusions are meaningless. If you really want to know the drop rates for these pieces, spend all of your energy for the next week farming one of these pieces from your one favorite node. The next week, farm another one of these pieces, and so on. When you are done, compile your results and make an informed conclusion.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member

You may be right. But without hard data, your conclusions are meaningless. If you really want to know the drop rates for these pieces, spend all of your energy for the next week farming one of these pieces from your one favorite node. The next week, farm another one of these pieces, and so on. When you are done, compile your results and make an informed conclusion.

Well that's the kind of hustle I don't have the money or time to do, I'm just telling you what I think based on my experience, I want more people to start paying attention, that's all
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

You're right but the thing is that this is very consistent.

How do you know this for sure when you're not keeping track of your drops?

If you post some numbers, people will be more likely to believe you.

• MJS
    102 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

Because I am aware of the idea that you usually remember only the bad drops and you forget about the good ones. I've felt this way about shard drops on certain days but I know that that's only in my mind. I said I don't have any numbers and that's because I don't wanna be inaccurate, would it be enough if I told you that I haven't received more than 2 pieces of certain gear per 6 attempts in weeks would you believe me?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

Because I am aware of the idea that you usually remember only the bad drops and you forget about the good ones. I've felt this way about shard drops on certain days but I know that that's only in my mind. I said I don't have any numbers and that's because I don't wanna be inaccurate, would it be enough if I told you that I haven't received more than 2 pieces of certain gear per 6 attempts in weeks would you believe me?

I wouldn't. Let's say weeks=2 weeks. 6*14. 2/84 is pretty unlikely.

I would if only you put down each attempt down in numbers.

Here's a study with large enough samples conducted on purple gear. For all we know the drop rates are better as the gear rarity goes down.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/7zkm45/drop_rates_for_purple_gear/
  • MJS
    102 posts Member

Here's a study with large enough samples conducted on purple gear. For all we know the drop rates are better as the gear rarity goes down.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/7zkm45/drop_rates_for_purple_gear/

But there is a problem with this, they aren't farming specific pieces. Not all b/g/w gear has the same drops. Some pieces have excellent drop rates
  • I've been thinking a similar thing about specific pieces - not so much colour-related. Mostly based on the fact that after my hard nodes I spend all my energy one one node at a time for days and I'm anecdotally noticing some pieces consistently take more days to accrue the 20/50/whatever than others.

It's something I've thought about tracking so I know which pieces should be higher priority in shipments, but cba
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

But there is a problem with this, they aren't farming specific pieces. Not all b/g/w gear has the same drops. Some pieces have excellent drop rates

Can't help you there. I remember previous studies that was tracking individual gear drop rates and saw no difference across the same rarity. I have no reason to believe otherwise unless I see a good amount of samples.

I would help you for doing more samples merely out of curiosity. But all my toons are at least g7 (just because xD)
  • MJS
    102 posts Member

Can't help you there. I remember previous studies that was tracking individual gear drop rates and saw no difference across the same rarity. I have no reason to believe otherwise unless I see a good amount of samples.

I would help you for doing more samples merely out of curiosity. But all my toons are at least g7 (just because xD)

In the link you shared it mentions that they didn't even check green and blue drops
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

In the link you shared it mentions that they didn't even check green and blue drops

There are many studies done in the forums/reddit. Naturally this is not the only one. Noone really cares about blue/greens much because of obvious reasons.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member

There are many studies done in the forums/reddit. Naturally this is not the only one. Noone really cares about blue/greens much because of obvious reasons.

Well and for those obvious reasons I didn't used to care either. But over the last few weeks due to overload if characters I started paying attention and I noticed plenty of crystals going that way and being wasted.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member

1/12 for a blue piece, how does that sound?

Sounds like, a spot of bad rng.

completely within the uncertainty bounds for a sample size of 12
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

No, I wouldn't believe you even then. I believe, you have that feeling, yes, but I don't believe, that your feeling about droprates necessarily corresponds to actual drop rates.

You yourself seem to be aware of confirmation bias, yet you want people to believe and discuss your biased feelings instead of data and hard evidence. That doesn't make sense.