This meta is bunk!!!!

Prev1
In my opinion, one of the biggest things broken about this game is the meta, which makes only 10-12 of all the characters useful for anything. I'm just getting bored to tears facing the same group of teams over and over again. I've personally tried to switch my team up to create variety but with the game being as it is, you can't even do that without sacrificing rank and make yourself a target.

The meta should be that most players are useful with players having the ability to experiment with new synergies, making combos on the fly to keep things fresh so that every challenge is a new experience.

All I've been seeing people do these days is walk away from this game and ask fur refunds and I can't blame these people for feeling this way. This monotony needs to be fixed or this game won't see 2017...

Replies

• reizse
    1447 posts Member
    best case scenario and its nigh impossible
    is for zero meta. I've never played a game that didn't have one but gw2 came pretty close as there's constant balance but that's apples to oranges..
    mighty chlorians
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    from my latest discussion on 'meta'

reizse wrote: »
    MenaceTEC wrote: »
    Suppose your right "true meta" is not a reasonable term haha

What I meant was... Imagine a meta in which players of mtg can only use 1/5th of the cards. There is no way that the "current" meta has even emerged.

Only with all characters maxed, competing against the same, will you be able to find a meta game.

Metas are often a trap as you describe. I've generally always gone off meta. Someone always has to find the new meta and that's what I have done when I play mtg.

which is all correct. metas are by definition restrictive. if everyone jumps on the wagon, there is zero creativity and any urge to go outside of it and 1) create the counter to the current meta 2) develop the next meta.
    if swgoh is allowed to stagnate too long in its current state, people will of course be able to branch out to discover if any other viable teams exist. however, in its current state and in my opinion, damage and speed are too dominant in the competitive aspect of the game (by that, i mean no one cares about speed and damage in gw, challenges, ls/ds as those lack any semblance of competition). despite any efforts to break out of the meta (and this is where i think players get confused, breaking out of the meta by using under-represented heroes that do the same thing as the more popular heroes is not breaking out of the meta; it's just changing the color of your underwear so to speak). changing the meta means to change the gameplay at it's core or as close to it as possible, not to chase after speed and damage with a team that doesn't use qgj, rey, gs, etc. in the game's current state, i believe it is impossible to do so (and maybe the game is designed to be that way). i mean look at the reactionary response to speed and damage by adding in a passive taunt activated by attempting to kill off other heroes in 1-2 moves. that's just a bandaid. in fact, some players use RG as an excuse to have their glass cannons hide behind him, just like they did with poe. this doesn't change the meta. choosing other heroes in the hopes that they can combine faction synergy and skills to recreate the same speed and damage potential as qgj, rey, gs, etc is not changing the meta. i'm definitely guilty of doing the above, which is why i can speak to it

mighty chlorians
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Ideally there is more of a rock paper scissors dealing with a meta. There should be a archetype that hard counters the meta. In theory, squish speed should be countered by a bruiser / tank brick wall, but with the current armor / defense system it doesnt work out that way. The counter to speed is currently more speed, which leads to a pretty homogeneous set of squads in arena. Then there should be a type that counters the counter, but isnt as good against the prime meta squad. Then you get at least a three type cycle as people build to counter rather than build the one squad that with minor variations is just the best.
  • All I can say is that I can sense the boredom and sadness from the players. I feel like I have no purpose. This game should be called "Star Wars Galaxy of Farming"....
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    The meta as you describe it is figured out and exploited by the players. As the game is balanced, toons are tweaked (or neutered in some cases) the meta shifts to what works best in response to. They cant make all toons viable because each toon is dif. Depending on the current state of the game, some thrive while others ride the bench. Thats hiw it is in any strategy game.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Maybe a bit drastic, but if get remove Arena ask together and replace it with something else, the game would be a lot better. People are too worried about being the best, even if there's no one of interest to farm in Arena Shipments.

This game should be about fun battling teams that'd never fight each other in Star Wars or creating teams of people that'd never work together. It needs to use the wide variety of characters to its advantage. Unfortunately, it instead became a competitive versus game where only maybe 10 characters are found in the top ranks.
  • Alecation
    211 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    you guys are completely wrong, the meta is not the problem

The problem is raising level caps prevent people from actually switching the meta

I have been trying different teams, and been able to do fine with most, you just can't go with a squishy slow team against a high dps fast team, other than that you are fine

• medetec wrote: »
    Ideally there is more of a rock paper scissors dealing with a meta. There should be a archetype that hard counters the meta. In theory, squish speed should be countered by a bruiser / tank brick wall, but with the current armor / defense system it doesnt work out that way. The counter to speed is currently more speed, which leads to a pretty homogeneous set of squads in arena. Then there should be a type that counters the counter, but isnt as good against the prime meta squad. Then you get at least a three type cycle as people build to counter rather than build the one squad that with minor variations is just the best.

It should be more subtle than that. Otherwise I'd play RPS with my wife and kids and avoid all this mess
  • I certainly don't have all the answers but all I do know is that what we currently have is boring and repetitive...
  • Breetai
    858 posts Member
    I'm guessing you haven't played many strategy games.

99.9999% of ALL games like this have a Meta like this. There will always be 5-15 toons that are better than any others to use in arena. This is not something this game is not going to change. This game is going to be just like them.

But your wrong about useing same toons over and over. My LS team is different than anything else for LS missions. Same for ds. My GW team is different from arena, but will admit it's the same for cantina. My challenge team are also all completly different.

Stop worrying just about arena. When it comes to PvP there will always be that 5-15 you have to use or you will not compete. You can use all the other modes for different teams.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm pretty sure there are more than 10 chars "worth anything".

HK-47, IG88, IG86, Geo, Poggle, Poe, QGJ, Anakin, Yoda, Rey, Luminara, FOTP, Kylo, FOO, ST Han, Dooku, Daka, Ima Gun Di, Ayla Secura, Resistance Pilot, Royal Guard, Leia, Hoth Rebel Scout, Fives, Admiral Ackbar, Luke, Darth Sidious, Captain Phasma, Night Sister Initiate, are all of them viable, useful in various gsme modes, and I have faced them in arena. And that's before we talk about characters useful in GW and LS/DS like Barris, JC or Talia, or chsracters that have possible upside with future releases or are situationally useful like Darth Maul, darth Vader, Lando or Greedo.
    There is a group of chars more dominant or in vogue, bit that is a long stretch to claim there are only 10-12 useful for anything.
  • LukeSkywalker420
    460 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I mean you are talking top 10. There arent that many people in the top 10. Outside of that there are plenty viable teams.
  • The further you drop in arena the more options you have. Sadly, most ppl want to go in the opposite direction so, as you move up your choice are limited.

They should have weekly themed arena events rather than what it is now. Giving bonuses to characters for each event. Maybe stun immunity bonus for rebels etc...
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    There are plenty of characters that can work outside of the anitfun range in arena. At the top say 50 though, even 100-200 on an established server, 75%+ of the squads are variants on the same thing. Go fast, punch things till they die. Sustain and or tank squads, which traditionally beat glass squads, just don't here. I'm not saying that is the solution, but there should be viable answers to speed aside from more speed and abusing the bad AI.
  • scuba
    14043 posts Member
    Triqui wrote: »

HK-47, IG88, IG86, Geo, Poggle, Poe, QGJ, Anakin, Yoda, Rey, Luminara, FOTP, Kylo, FOO, ST Han, Dooku, Daka, Ima Gun Di, Ayla Secura, Resistance Pilot, Royal Guard, Leia, Hoth Rebel Scout, Fives, Admiral Ackbar, Luke, Darth Sidious, Captain Phasma, Night Sister Initiate, are all of them viable, useful in various gsme modes, and I have faced them in arena. And that's before we talk about characters useful in GW and LS/DS like Barris, JC or Talia, or chsracters that have possible upside with future releases or are situationally useful like Darth Maul, darth Vader, Lando or Greedo.
    There is a group of chars more dominant or in vogue, bit that is a long stretch to claim there are only 10-12 useful for anything.

Your phones auto correct must have been going crazy with all those names.
  • To understand just how unimaginative the meta is. If there was an alternate GS only with 190 speed and 5 health he'd be on all of the top arena teams.
  • I think the Meta is better nmow than before the update where every team had Poe. RG is a true tank now. There is a mix. I'm top 10 on my Shard I can see 4 teams around me there are 4 different leaders and 14 different characters on those 4 teams. That is a decent variety compared to a few weeks ago.

Two ideas that could help diversify even more.

1. Buff Barriss to make her hit a bit harder, say like 40-50% she still is a weaker hiotter, but would be useabkle as a leader boosting Jedi by 20% and others by 10% health, plus the turn healing. Would add a new layer to team comps.

2. I'll get slack here, however I am one with access to farm Rex due to spending. I think make him farmable somewhere. Cantina Nodes, Cantina, arena,or GW shipments. He boosts Clones by 18% others by 9% and hits ok. He would help add variety. Serge is not great, but boost his HP with his kit he could be useful.

These are 2 minor changes that can help diversify builds. Give us a different Character like Rex is now, like Secura, Leia, Ben who are Chronium only and viable, like Rex. These 2 changes would not break the current meta, but they would diversify it. I know a Rex team is in my top 10 lately and the HP boost he ghives makes him competative. I run a very High damage Assist team and that team can take a pounding. Why not do these things to help make it more diverse? I think it would be fun. As a p2P I would not mind at all if my gift of Rex farmable were made available in an easier to farm way for all if it added to diversity in the arena more. Buffing barriss is something long overdue she is slow and hits like a wet noodle.

Cheers
  • Triqui wrote: »

30. That's good enough for me. I did the count.

• For the first time in half a month (on my shard) a team with poggle lead, ig88, ig86, GS, and Poe was in top 5 even beat me for a minute to have a temporary claim to rank 1. There are ways to innovate and hidden gems to be discovered. If your only focused on speed you will limit yourself. Have you focused on Tm reduction teams? What about getting an empire team ready to make RG stun like a madman? Aoe blast teams? Speed cannot win every fight. And AI on d is speed teams weekness. Anyone can take a spot on D.
  • Noktarn
    401 posts Member
    Meta is boring. All about speed toons. Anyone using anything else is gimp
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Noktarn wrote: »

Just two weeks ago RG was totally worthless. I really suspect we will see more crazy buffs like this which will shift meta, albeit slowly
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    J7000 wrote: »

Just two weeks ago RG was totally worthless. I really suspect we will see more crazy buffs like this which will shift meta, albeit slowly

Well Duh lol
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Abyss wrote: »
    J7000 wrote: »

Well Duh lol

:(
  • Alecation
    211 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Why not make a synergy for everyone.. example 2 jedi = 5% more dmg or hp and 2.5% more dmg or hp for every adicional jedi and make this synergy for every one

that way would benefit using a full Jedi, full sith, full rebel, etc teams
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Remove all speed from leader roles and add them to uniques. That way speed is less viable. Also makes some of the awesome leader abilities playable.
  • Breetai
    858 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    For the record

I don't use a speed leader, and I'm not a droid team. I finish top 3 in my bracket since Nov.with 95% of the time being 1st

I do however use all the current meta toons, I just have them set a little differently is all. And surprisingly no one in my bracket as cought on yet.
  • Snoops
    15 posts Member
    If any of you have played dragonsoul then you know it's what this game should look like. Basically the same style but has the variety and creativity. If you haven't played it is suggest giving it a try and that's a suggestion to all EA devs as well. Look how dragonsoul has done and why that game doesn't have metas but is basically the exact same as this game but 100% better
  • I'd say the meta is headed in the right direction, although with the scramble for top spot every day at 5:50, it really isn't about having the best team, just one that's good enough. With this in mind, I can think of 20+ toons that have a place in a viable squad, with some being specific to a given type of synergy group (e.g. Ackbar, rebels obviously) or generally powerful toons that fit in many groups either with a mostly synergy team, or other "power" toons (e.g. Sid). For just the power toons, I'd count the following 10 off the top of my head:
    1. Poe, 2. QGJ, 3. Dooku, 4. Poggle, 5. Rey, 6. Phasma, 7. GS, 8. Aayla, 9. Daka, 10. Lumi

Another 10 (there might be 20!) synergy toons:
    1. Ackbar, 2. Hoth Rebel Scout, 3. Leia (could go in either group, but a defensive liability unless in a special group), 4. Finn, 5. Resistance Trooper, 6. Lando (also could go above, best with special groups), 7. Yoda (could go above too), 8. Han, 9. Old Ben, 10. GG. 11 (bonus mention): droids

This doesn't count the occasional (suboptimal) Maul, Ventress, or a dozen plus others that show up in my top 10, so I'd say over a day's time, my top 20 likely includes 40 or more different toons, with our top 10 players including probably 25+ different toons. Plus it will grow as the game develops and people have added time to try building up other toons.
  • Charlesbusa
    408 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Defense

This game needs defense.... Speed and offense are equalized when a defensive team can block and survive
  • Defense

This game needs defense.... Speed and offense are equalized when a defensive team can block and survive

said it 100%, the tanks lack survivability