Please fix the Galactic War difficulty! Something is very off lately

2Next

Replies

• Options
    What the hell is going on? Again! I am level 80. You give me lvl 85 yellow gear level, with zetas bastilla and Yoda!!! How am I supposed to fight this?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    I have yet to see a discussion with a comparison of the GP of the opponent team at different nodes to the combined GP of the player's 5 highest GP toons. If you could throw me a link to one, which prooves a bug, then I'm very interested in reading it.

This wasn't directed at me, but I posted a comparison of an impossibly overpowered team (compared to my own roster) on node 2 a while ago in another thread: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1684070#Comment_1684070

I didn't add my own GP, but you can see from the level and star difference alone, as well as the maxed golden speed mods on the opponents, that they were vastly superior to my own top 5 characters.

That may be true, but your screenshots don't prove this. The screenshot of your own roster shows only the characters marked as favourites, which are not necessarily your top GP characters. If your roster had been sorted by 'power' instead of 'all', it could have been a better proof (notes of the GP of all 10 characters would have been a proof).
    I couldn't even get speed mods back then since stage 8 of the mod battles was too hard to finish and the corresponding mod challenge is still locked for me.

The next time this happens, I'll make sure to take note of my top 5 GP and that of the enemy team. I have gained 3 levels since then and slightly upgraded all my top characters, but even now, my top 5 GP is 34,586, which averages at 6917. As you can see, this team was around 12,800 per character, almost twice as high as I am now 3 levels later.
    The response to that comment (made by Stevesd123) was, that he had experienced that the difficulty still went up after reaching level 85, but then got easier and stayed easy (he completed it everyday for a month since). The poster called TechieJordan never responded, so we don't know wether it became easy for him again later as well. I wouldn't rely too much on his comment.

If you've been following the GW difficulty-related threads here on the forums, you would have seen at least one other level 85 player who also had this problem. I don't have the time to read through them all over again though. And even if only lower level accounts had this problem, it would still be an issue. It's a long way to level 85 and many never get there before they lose interest, or quit out of frustration over the fact that improving their roster only seems to make things disproportionately harder.

I still wouldn't rely too much on that comment in your link — disregarding how many other posts, you see. It's quite weak support for your claim. It lacks essential details. The comment was give 10 months ago, shortly after a change in the design of GW had occured. Some players/posters probably simply hadn't adjusted to the new design yet back then.

You may want the designers to redesign GW. Fair enough. Your oppinion is as valid as mine.
  • Darth_DeVito
    1233 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    At the risk of shooting myself in the foot with this in case the devs really listen and balance GW, but it has become almost ridiculously easy lately. Someone told me that a Bastila-led Jedi team, even an underdeveloped one, usually sails through GW without problems. So I gave it a try with my 3* gear VI Bastila and my recently unlocked GM Yoda, who was still on gear V. I stuck with this one team and didn't preload any other. I also resisted the urge to buff the entire team with Basti+Yoda on early nodes and mostly used basic attacks.

The first night, I finished all but the final node. The next night, all nodes were surprisingly easy. Tonight it is easier still, to the point of being ridiculously simple, even though I kept developing my Jedi. It's too early to say if this but an RNG fluke in my favor, but it has never been easy for several days in a row since I passed level 60 weeks ago. And even before that point, it was never this unchallenging. GW also scales from node to node now. Node 12 had a mismatched lvl 64-71 team tonight (I'm currently 73) and that was the toughest one of the entire run. The previous teams barely scratched my protection bars.

I'm beginning to suspect the difficulty is based more on overall performance, specifically on which and how many teams I use, than it is on my top five characters. Preloading top teams on early nodes seems to be a huge mistake. Switching between teams at all might be counterproductive. If I remember correctly, every time I hit a brick wall on early nodes, I had either preloaded multiple teams in the same run or used several teams the night before, including my top teams.

I'll post if something changes drastically while I stick with my Jedi for entire GW runs. Right now, using nothing but a Bastila-led team with some underdeveloped characters, and without using the full extent of their abilities if possible or autoing any round, seems to be an easy way to finish GW.

ETA: I still think it's very unbalanced even though the lack of balance seems to work in my favor right now. Ideally, it would always scale from one node to next, with the final nodes being challenging at any level (but not to the point of being utterly impossible). I realize that randomized encounters may not allow for a lot of fine tuning, but maybe it's possible to narrow the RNG range down a bit and make it err less in either direction.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    So I gave it a try with my 3* gear VI Bastila and my recently unlocked GM Yoda, who was still on gear V.

[...]

The first night, I finished all but the final node. The next night, all nodes were surprisingly easy. Tonight it is easier still, to the point of being ridiculously simple, even though I kept developing my Jedi.

Bastilla grants protection up at the beginning of each batte. On the first many nodes the enemies' damage won't even get past this protection up. I believe your experience with your jedi team supports that GW is mostly about having the right team(s) to beat the enemies you meet, and that matchmaking is not way off, like some players claim.
    I'm beginning to suspect the difficulty is based more on overall performance, specifically on which and how many teams I use, than it is on my top five characters. Preloading top teams on early nodes seems to be a huge mistake. Switching between teams at all might be counterproductive.

I still trust, that if the design changes this much (away from being based on power of your top—5 toons and the node, you've reached), the developers would inform the community about it.
    ETA: I still think it's very unbalanced even though the lack of balance seems to work in my favor right now. Ideally, it would always scale from one node to next, with the final nodes being challenging at any level (but not to the point of being utterly impossible).

Don't hold your breath. It's been officially announced, that the designers' goal was to create a challenge and that players should not expect to complete GW every day (before reaching the power cap).

• Options
    Something happened to GW a month or so ago. I had 150 completions before getting to level 80. My son had 150 completions before hitting 80. Never ever did I see a team with 50% more Power than the top 5 on any account my family or I have access to. Until a month ago. My son with a top 5 in the mid 40K range, ran into a 72+K nightsisters team on node 12. My wife(30K power top 5) ran into a 55K power Phoenix squad on node 8. I ran into a 75K power Empire team on node 3(my top 5 was mid upper 40k) just last week. My son (15K top 5) ran into a 30K power squad on node 8 last week as well.

Something happened.
  • Options
    Bastilla grants protection up at the beginning of each batte. On the first many nodes the enemies' damage won't even get past this protection up. I believe your experience with your jedi team supports that GW is mostly about having the right team(s) to beat the enemies you meet, and that matchmaking is not way off, like some players claim.

As I've repeatedly pointed out, I used to face teams up to 10 levels above my own with much better gear. But all teams on my last two GW runs were underpowered compared to my own. The characters were at least 2 levels below mine. Mostly blue gear, very few 7* characters, and max. two per team. That's not merely caused by the great damage mitigation of a Bastila-led Jedi team.

And it's not like I didn't use my Jedi team before in GW. But what I also did in those runs was to preload my best-developed teams on early nodes and then switch to my less developed ones, including the Jedi team. On those occasions, I usually hit a vastly overpowered team before I was halfway through.

You can either believe me when I say that I couldn't have possibly beaten those teams at my level or you can continue patronize everyone who faces a problem that you don't have to put up with at level 85. But frankly, this repetitive choir of "you people are just not good enough" that I see in dozens of threads from the same 2-3 posters is really getting tiresome.
  • Options
    As I've repeatedly pointed out, I used to face teams up to 10 levels above my own with much better gear. But all teams on my last two GW runs were underpowered compared to my own. The characters were at least 2 levels below mine. Mostly blue gear, very few 7* characters, and max. two per team. That's not merely caused by the great damage mitigation of a Bastila-led Jedi team.

Sounds like you are seeing what you are supposed to get in a GW the last couple days. Teams with Power no more than 15-20% of your top 5 Power on the last node, and less than that on all the previous(I think the guides said roughly 50% of your top power on node 1). The stupid over powered teams you are seeing(especially on nodes not named 9, 11, or 12) are the anomoly that started happening about a month ago.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

You can either believe me when I say that I couldn't have possibly beaten those teams at my level or you can continue patronize everyone who faces a problem that you don't have to put up with at level 85. But frankly, this repetitive choir of "you people are just not good enough" that I see in dozens of threads from the same 2-3 posters is really getting tiresome.

A. GW is designed to be a challenge mid—game, and you should expect to not finish it some days — even if you are a skilled player.
    B. Please tell me which of my comments are "you people are just not good enough" comments in this/those thread(s).

• Options
    @Darth_DeVito i'm seeing the same as you. My jedi led by bastilla plow through GW almost every day. Today I had 2 nodes give me grief (one of those being 12) but I still won. For two weeks it's been pretty easy.

And if it helps, I'm trying NOT to power up my GW team. I'm lvl 83 but my jedi max out at 80. I don't want to rock the RNG boat by boosting them up. Just 32 more wins and i'll be eligible to sim it.
  • Options
    A. GW is designed to be a challenge mid—game, and you should expect to not finish it some days — even if you are a skilled player.
    B. Please tell me which of my comments are "you people are just not good enough" comments in this/those thread(s).

Regarding A: If you build your roster from the ground up with GW in mind, with several teams and some interesting utility characters all within 15-20% of each other GP wise, Galactic War is pretty easy to complete every day. It's meant to test your roster, so if you have a sizable roster as good or close to it as your top 5, you will do well.

What happened in the last month or so is to introduce teams randomly on potentially any node that are supposed to essentially be Gandalf saying "You shall not pass!"

Regarding B: maybe not necessarily you, but there has been an air of dismissal from what has been going on in GW with these super teams on random nodes(not just tough team on node 12 like you are supposed to get). While not saying "get good", it tries to dismiss the complaint without thinking about it critically.

• Options
    papy72 wrote: »
    @Darth_DeVito i'm seeing the same as you. My jedi led by bastilla plow through GW almost every day. Today I had 2 nodes give me grief (one of those being 12) but I still won. For two weeks it's been pretty easy.

And if it helps, I'm trying NOT to power up my GW team. I'm lvl 83 but my jedi max out at 80. I don't want to rock the RNG boat by boosting them up. Just 32 more wins and i'll be eligible to sim it.

It definitely helps to stick with a team that isn't overly developed. I've finished GW four nights in a row now. Last night, the difficulty was a tad higher, probably due to the fact that I had been working on Bastila and Yoda. Tonight, I exchanged my two Phoenix Jedi for two less developed ones, JK Anakin and Mace, and it was a walk in the park again. All enemies were at least 4 levels below mine.

I guess I could continue to beef up my main Jedi team as long as I still have a few low level Jedi with blue gear to use in GW, but I don't want to mess this up for myself either :)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

@Darth_DeVito
  • Options
    papy72 wrote: »

It definitely helps to stick with a team that isn't overly developed. I've finished GW four nights in a row now. Last night, the difficulty was a tad higher, probably due to the fact that I had been working on Bastila and Yoda. Tonight, I exchanged my two Phoenix Jedi for two less developed ones, JK Anakin and Mace, and it was a walk in the park again. All enemies were at least 4 levels below mine.

I guess I could continue to beef up my main Jedi team as long as I still have a few low level Jedi with blue gear to use in GW, but I don't want to mess this up for myself either :)

It seems you have a solid team that can get you thru when it's not borked. What you might want to do is develop alternate teams close to the power level of your main guys. Bounty Hunters with Embo lead do quite well as do any teams with Chirrut. Could also develop Luminara or Barris and KRU with a few others that can get it done as well in a pinch. Barris isn't in my main Jedi team with Bastila and Yoda but using her lead with KRU after my Jedi got borked early on in one GW allowed us to get close to the end where teams that are powerful but can't really sustain their health(Empire sans Vader/Palps, First Order) can win a battle or two to complete the war.

My son's level 54 account last night ran into a 35K team on node 11 all gear 8. He managed to use all his guys to take out 2 of the enemies. His top 5 is 18.4K. He has nobody G7 yet.
  • Options
    My under geared murder bears beat gw as said before it is completely hard as heck till u get to level 85. So I hope during u guys epic three day discussion that u were leveling up
  • BucMan55
    246 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Its always been like this. Everyone has endured the struggle. Get over it once you hit 85 it becomes easy.

Very little of your total game time is spent during level 0-85 so if your getting frustrated in this short period give up now.

If so I have been extremely lucky. From the time I started doing GW on my original account last April i have never seen teams THIS much higher power than the account until a month and a half ago. Powerful teams at the end of the war? Sure, 15-20% more powerful, synergy not included. Not 50-100% more powerful on random nodes not associated with hard battles(9, 11, 12).

Yoda has a word for people who think this is business as usual.

"Hear you nothing that I say?"

Oh, and I have had 150 GW completions since before level 80 and all but 2 and a half days of my total playtime thus far have been below level 85.