Minnow v Whale v Kracken (Tuna🤦‍♂️)

Prev13
Crazygone510
1709 posts Member
edited November 2018
I hear these terms thrown all over the place and was just curious as to what each is.

What defines each? I'm really curious to what the community thinks. I'm at 1.9 million GP and I started in March of this year so going on 8 months. Am I whale? Kraken? Tuna?

How about 3.1 million in the same amount of time. Thoughts?

Post edited by Crazygone510 on

Replies

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Guppy, dolphin, whale, kraken. They are very vague terms. There's no clear definition.

I would call an average of 300$ per month a whale. Krakens are -gotta max everything- types. You gotta look what they don't have rather than what they do to see if they constitute as such.

Your account looks like a dolphin one to me. But you know your spending grade, I don't.

For example this is the only kraken on my arena shard. Of course there are those far crazier exist.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/166714439/
  • MJS
    102 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    You've never heard of a "tuna", the term is dolphin and you're trying to be a troll. GP has nothing to do with it, it's about how much money you approximately spend on monthly basis that determine if you're a whale or dolphin or kraken. And if you buy Marquee packs.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    It all depends on your level of jealousy towards the player. :D
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    GP means nothing. A 100k fleet consisting of 2-3 whale ships can beat 420k fleet.... same in arena.... whale/keaken means you get to buy access to OP toons before they are nerfed when released to us peons for use.
  • No_Try wrote: »
    Guppy, dolphin, whale, kraken. They are very vague terms. There's no clear definition.

I would call an average of 300$ per month a whale. Krakens are -gotta max everything- types. You gotta look what they don't have rather than what they do to see if they constitute as such.

Your account looks like a dolphin one to me. But you know your spending grade, I don't.

For example this is the only kraken on my arena shard. Of course there are those far crazier exist.

That is an extremely maxed account. I wonder how much they spent on this lol.
  • ebfrmv4q3ynx.gif
    Heres an ingame snapshot of a dolphin
  • o1vmiiz6tai2.gif
    I was lucky to survive getting this captured footage of a kraken
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    icanectc wrote: »
    ebfrmv4q3ynx.gif

For some reason i can't stop watching that. Lol

Yeah that was A+
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    edited November 2018
    I hear these terms thrown all over the place and was just curious as to what each is.

What defines each? I'm really curious to what the community thinks. I'm at 1.9 million GP and I started in March of this year so going on 8 months. Am I whale? Kraken? Tuna?
    Its about how much they spent in the game. There are 4 types of labels:

F2P: Probably the most obnoxious group that are very entitled and like to plug their status the most (fyi, i'm F2P). They've never spend a dime in the game and its meaning is corrupted. The game is VERY F2P friendly than it used to be. Back then, you had some toons that were locked behind money. You could not acquire these toons without spending money and the characters you could acquire for free were less powerful than they are now, with a smaller selection and it was extremely difficult to beat a team of Paid Toons. So it was considered a huge achievement if you could beat toons like clones or Sun Fac using the weak F2P toons. It was proper bragging rights. Now its just a status symbol rather than an impressive feat.

Dolphins: Light / Thin spenders. They might drop $9.99 for a 30 shard pack. They might spend $50 bucks on a pack or crystals each month or less. They consider themselves almost completely F2P and walk around with the F2P status while finding it difficult that there is someone in this game that is F2P and can beat them.

Whales: People who occasionally drop big once in a blue moon. They might drop $300 on a single or buy a crystal vault a month. They might see a really really good toon that brings a lot of value and shell hard on that toon. Sometimes you lose against a dolphin or F2P with better mods or toons they farmed and you feel bitter and resent and you justify your loss by calling that person a whale. It has a negative meaning and being called a whale is suppose to devalue your accomplishments in the game. (Oh you can only score so good in the raid because you paid for it, oh you can only win because $$$ etc.) From what I've seen, whales are usually chill people who are happy to admit they are one. I'm glad there isn't a big divide in both sides.

Kraken: THEY. HAVE. EVERYTHING. MAXED. OUT. These people have their checking account linked to wire all their earnings to SWGOH. Jokes aside, they are heavy spenders, if Whales spend $300 per month they would be people who spent like $1000 or more idk. Just a lot.

These are all based on the size of the sea life so terms like tuna, shrimp is basically mean dolphin
  • Ultra wrote: »

F2P: Probably the most obnoxious group that are very entitled and like to plug their status the most (fyi, i'm F2P). They've never spend a dime in the game and its meaning is corrupted. The game is VERY F2P friendly than it used to be. Back then, you had some toons that were locked behind money. You could not acquire these toons without spending money and the characters you could acquire for free were less powerful than they are now, with a smaller selection and it was extremely difficult to beat a team of Paid Toons. So it was considered a huge achievement if you could beat toons like clones or Sun Fac using the weak F2P toons. It was proper bragging rights. Now its just a status symbol rather than an impressive feat.

Dolphins: Light / Thin spenders. They might drop $9.99 for a 30 shard pack. They might spend $50 bucks on a pack or crystals each month or less. They consider themselves almost completely F2P and walk around with the F2P status while finding it difficult that there is someone in this game that is F2P and can beat them.

Whales: People who occasionally drop big once in a blue moon. They might drop $300 on a single or buy a crystal vault a month. They might see a really really good toon that brings a lot of value and shell hard on that toon. Sometimes you lose against a dolphin or F2P with better mods or toons they farmed and you feel bitter and resent and you justify your loss by calling that person a whale. It has a negative meaning and being called a whale is suppose to devalue your accomplishments in the game. (Oh you can only score so good in the raid because you paid for it, oh you can only win because $$$ etc.) From what I've seen, whales are usually chill people who are happy to admit they are one. I'm glad there isn't a big divide in both sides.

Kraken: THEY. HAVE. EVERYTHING. MAXED. OUT. These people have their checking account linked to wire all their earnings to SWGOH. Jokes aside, they are heavy spenders, if Whales spend $300 per month they would be people who spent like $1000 or more idk. Just a lot.

These are all based on the size of the sea life so terms like tuna, shrimp is basically mean dolphin

Interesting that you gave each personality features. Here’s my take:

Free players: vast majority (95%) of players in the game. They don’t spend money in game. Most likely to become frustrated and lash out whenever a character event comes around that they aren’t ready for.

Guppy/minnow: 3% of playerbase. They may have bought 1 or 2 things in game. Total spending under $50. I’m a guppy. Most likely to pretend they’re free players because the “only spent a little.”

Dolphin: 1.5% of playerbase. Regular spenders. Total spending in the hundreds of dollars. Most likely to do well in arena without appearing to spend.

Whale: 0.3% of playerbase. Enthusiast spenders. Total spending in the thousands of dollars. Most likely to throw a fit about “underpowered teams” being able to climb in arena.

Kraken: 0.2% of playerbase. Rich completionists. Total spending in the tens of thousands of dollars. Most likely to quit the game after buying everything.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    The true kraken doesn’t quit they just start another account until they have enough accounts to fill an entire guild.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Deleted
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Mispost
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    The true kraken doesn’t quit they just start another account until they have enough accounts to fill an entire guild.
    At this point,

They should be called Poseidon

• Baby shark?
  • Baby shark?

Here it ispm4xdrzwmcd8.jpg
    captured that one on a gw team i fought

F2P: Probably the most obnoxious group that are very entitled and like to plug their status the most (... ). They've never spend a dime in the game and its meaning is corrupted. (...) So it was considered a huge achievement if you could beat toons like clones or Sun Fac using the weak F2P toons. It was proper bragging rights. Now its just a status symbol rather than an impressive feat.

So defeating p2win teams as f2p is not a reason to brag, but compensating poor strategic choices with buying in game advantages are?
  • Member5973
    127 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Since January 2017 i spent ~500$ per month and never knew whether that qualifies for the whale status. I turned F2P a couple of weeks ago for various reasons: mostly related to the gambling part and the uncertainty of how or if / when my "investment" actually pays off. Plus I started to play in late 2016 and figured that I would have to spend ever more money to make up for the "delay". There are guys out there who spend 2 or 3 times as much as other whales only because they started to play much later.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Since January 2017 i spent ~500$ per month and never knew whether that qualifies for the whale status. I turned F2P a couple of weeks ago for various reasons: mostly related to the gambling part and the uncertainty of how or if / when my "investment" actually pays off. Plus I started to play in late 2016 and figured that I would have to spend ever more money to make up for the "delay". There are guys out there who spend 2 or 3 times as much as other whales only because they started to play much later.

That's the whole idea of biz in this game. the "gotta catch up/keep up" mindset. Oh also "gotta protect my investment" whether it's time or monetary.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Ultra wrote: »

F2P: Probably the most obnoxious group that are very entitled and like to plug their status the most

From what I've seen, whales are usually chill people who are happy to admit they are one.

hehe
  • No_Try wrote: »

He isnt even the biggest kracken in our guild. Fox has him covered!
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

He isnt even the biggest kracken in our guild. Fox has him covered!

Luckily he's the biggest mamallian in this pond.

Interesting that you gave each personality features. Here’s my take:

Free players: vast majority (95%) of players in the game. They don’t spend money in game. Most likely to become frustrated and lash out whenever a character event comes around that they aren’t ready for.

Guppy/minnow: 3% of playerbase. They may have bought 1 or 2 things in game. Total spending under $50. I’m a guppy. Most likely to pretend they’re free players because the “only spent a little.”

Dolphin: 1.5% of playerbase. Regular spenders. Total spending in the hundreds of dollars. Most likely to do well in arena without appearing to spend.

Whale: 0.3% of playerbase. Enthusiast spenders. Total spending in the thousands of dollars. Most likely to throw a fit about “underpowered teams” being able to climb in arena.

Kraken: 0.2% of playerbase. Rich completionists. Total spending in the tens of thousands of dollars. Most likely to quit the game after buying everything.

A lot more than 5% spend money. I would say maybe 55% never spend, 40% spend only once or twice to get someone they really like, 4% spend very modestly to help gain an edge in farming and arena, 0.9% spend to get a powerhouse upgraded once every month or two, 0.1% want almost everything maxed, and of those, 0.01% will max everything on the spot.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    What I don’t get is the animosity between them all, as we’ve seen in this thread. I’m in a 170m GP guild that has been around since the beginning and has everything from 100% F2P to mega kraken (been playing less than a year, has all characters g12, buys every marquee and g12s it the day of release). We all get along great. I’m in the whale category and there is no pressure from the whales for the F2P to spend or contribute more, and although there may be a tiny bit of jealousy from the F2P when the whales get the shiny new toys, mostly they are grateful because it helps fill TB platoons we wouldn’t otherwise fill and helps us win in TW. We basically just say as long as you’re progressing and participating to the best of your ability, there are no issues.

As far as the categories, I don’t think there is a difference between guppy minnow and F2P. $9.99 or $20.00 every once in a blue moon may as well be F2P. Dolphins spend occasionally when they see value. Whales spend consistently. Krakens get everything. Here’s the difference between whale and Kraken: I’ve been playing 11 months and have 2.5m gp and 40 g12 characters. Im generally considered a whale. My guildmate started at the same time as me and is in the same arena shard and has 4.88m gp and 162 g12 characters. He’s a Kraken.
  • My Google account is hooked up to my school email, so regardless of how many times I tried to find a work around in order to buy Old Ben to get CLS the first time he came around, I couldn't. I'm FTP and overall glad I have the temptation completely removed for me lol.
  • Hm. I would say it is a scale from grind-to-death-but-never-pay to free-to-pay. On the one side people would stay up 24/7 for months to get what they want rather than drink a coffee less a week and buy it. On the other side are those that buy for the sake of buying without even a vague idea if they are ever going to use what they have bought. We call them AFK titans since they tend to win everything everywhere in AFK mode, you know watching that football match and casting an eye on your game to see have you won it yet so you can start that next afk task.
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    ebfrmv4q3ynx.gif

Thank you man !
    This is awsome !