What do you guys think? Did they mess up Revan?

First of all they should've made him dark. Revan is a dark lord:

1) No matter whther you played light or dark side kotor, you see Revan dressed in dark robes with Malak in visions.

2) Through out the game your looking to destroy theStar Forge- the artifact of the dark side. Which Revan sought out in the first place.

Revan always has a feel of a dark lord.

Second, even though they made Revan light side, they didnt give him and Bastila a force-connection.

I was hoping for Malak but since they made Revan light side, there definitely will not be a Revan/Malak, master/apprentice connection.

Replies

• Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with you on almost all of your points. I think the redemption motif is the thing I love the most about Revan (and Vader, and Old Luke, and Han in ANH). You see Revan dressed in dark robes with Malak in his vision because he WAS dark side. It's not because those visions mean he's always going to be dark side. That's like saying "Kobe is more a Hornet than a Laker because I keep seeing pictures of him wearing the Hornets cap on draft night." Revan had a road to redemption (get it?) and became light side.

Also, my favorite thing of KOTOR was battling Malak. I think a Revan VS Malak dynamic is much cooler than a Revan AND Malak dynamic.

I agree with Bastila and Revan not having some direct synergy being a miss. OT Chewie has that with Han, they could've done something like that with Revan and Bastila.
  • Options
    This is the Star Forge Battle Revan if the player chose light side. This is the Revan after the fall and redemption. This is the Revan George Lucas deemed “canon” and the Revan chosen to be represented in the novels.

I suspect there will be a Dark Side version with Malak in Aug.
  • Options
    I dont know man. I understand what you're saying, but even in the beginning when you get off Taris and begin training at the academy, and speak to the masters, they talk about Revan. I played the game many times, and every time read the whole story. I always saw Revan as leaning towards the dark side.

The dark robes again... what kind of jedi wears dark robes like his in the academy? Those robes scream "Darth Revan".
  • Options
    This is the Star Forge Battle Revan if the player chose light side. This is the Revan after the fall and redemption. This is the Revan George Lucas deemed “canon” and the Revan chosen to be represented in the novels.

I suspect there will be a Dark Side version with Malak in Aug.

You think they will make a dark side Revan/Malak event?
  • Options
    My brain is hurting from reading this. Dude. They are setting up two versions of revan. These are the light side robes you can craft on the Star forge if you are light side. Darth Revan is coming. In the end Revan tried to save everyone.
  • Options
    I can only hope and it will include HK
  • Options
    Lio wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree with you on almost all of your points. I think the redemption motif is the thing I love the most about Revan (and Vader, and Old Luke, and Han in ANH). You see Revan dressed in dark robes with Malak in his vision because he WAS dark side. It's not because those visions mean he's always going to be dark side. That's like saying "Kobe is more a Hornet than a Laker because I keep seeing pictures of him wearing the Hornets cap on draft night." Revan had a road to redemption (get it?) and became light side.

Also, my favorite thing of KOTOR was battling Malak. I think a Revan VS Malak dynamic is much cooler than a Revan AND Malak dynamic.

I agree with Bastila and Revan not having some direct synergy being a miss. OT Chewie has that with Han, they could've done something like that with Revan and Bastila.

Also, honestly my favorite parts are storyline with Bastila. I love it when she is convincing the character to become Darth Revan again and opens her feelings up to the character- "apprentice and lover".

I love the dark side ending scene. When she begins with "Malak is dead - all hail Darth Revan, the true Lord of the Sith".

Thats what always made sense to me.
  • Options
    Lets also bring this out- why didnt they bring in Carth, Canderous, and Juhani before Revan? Carth and Canderous were with Revan on Taris. And yet they brought in HK-47 who wasnt on Taris, rather they met him on Tatooine
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options
    Machinist wrote: »

Also, honestly my favorite parts are storyline with Bastila. I love it when she is convincing the character to become Darth Revan again and opens her feelings up to the character- "apprentice and lover".

I love the dark side ending scene. When she begins with "Malak is dead - all hail Darth Revan, the true Lord of the Sith".

The dark side ending was nuts! It was really well done.

But I always enjoyed playing it more as light side Revan. During his training at the academy, they would mention how dark his presence was but he was able to be redeemed. Similar to Rey and Luke, except he actually had a past where he was fully immersed in the dark side. So even though he was heavily tainted by the dark side, I dig the redemption dynamic.

So I guess in a nutshell - users prefer the Revan they liked playing as more hahaha
  • Options

The dark side ending was nuts! It was really well done.

But I always enjoyed playing it more as light side Revan. During his training at the academy, they would mention how dark his presence was but he was able to be redeemed. Similar to Rey and Luke, except he actually had a past where he was fully immersed in the dark side. So even though he was heavily tainted by the dark side, I dig the redemption dynamic.

So I guess in a nutshell - users prefer the Revan they liked playing as more hahaha

Idk. I guess you're right. Thats why i didnt like the book. I saw Revan as the Dark Lord, but he was light side in the book. Also light side canon.

I kinda looked at his story as a story put together for a Darth Revan. Maybe make him a legendary dark lord when Bastila realizing his power and arrogance, knows that she cant challange him. But given that his arrogance blinds him, she poisons kills, or well... kills him in his sleep, or some other way without challenging him. Because she couldnt take down Malak, and if Malak couldnt take down Revan... well you see what i mean.
  • Options
    If this is the only version we ever get, then yes they messed up. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a dark side version coming. The Ancient Journey event wasn't stand alone. It's a new type of event. The event for LS Revan didn't touch half of the planets or the latter half of the story. Darth Revan will be the culmination and presumably even more OP, and, assuming that is actually the case, they will have done it perfectly IMO.
  • Options
    If this is the only version we ever get, then yes they messed up. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a dark side version coming. The Ancient Journey event wasn't stand alone. It's a new type of event. The event for LS Revan didn't touch half of the planets or the latter half of the story. Darth Revan will be the culmination and presumably even more OP, and, assuming that is actually the case, they will have done it perfectly IMO.

Youre right about that. LS Revan didnt make a tenth of a journey of the original Revan. Original Revan was searching all over the galaxy for the star maps. In the visions you see only the ones that will lead you to Star Forge.
  • Options
    I don't think they got the character wrong. I think they got the release timing wrong and I'm not referring to the short window of time to farm KoToR toons. I get that this game is funded by pay to play folks and as a result don't have a huge issue with giving them the best chance to have the first crack at meta toons as a reward for their support.

I'm only bothered that it came so soon after Chewie who had brought back some variety to arena.
  • Gair
    616 posts Member
    Options
    I would like to point out immortality here, because he was one of the few, like sion, who was immortal to a physical degree.

With that said, Revan created the infinite engine that could replicate anything, including himself.

Additionally, Revan had force sight to see the future. Just saying.. all dark lords persued immortality and Revan was the only one that actually created a device that could have done it.

"A" revan was encountered. This is nothing new, look at starkiller being a clone. Even Rey could be a clone as she suffers from the same epidemic of identity crisis. Just like Revan.

Take it all with a grain of salt, but assuming only a light side revan is happening is more illogical than suggesting there will be 5 like han solo. I would believe 5 over 1.

• Options
    Lets also bring this out- why didnt they bring in Carth, Canderous, and Juhani before Revan? Carth and Canderous were with Revan on Taris. And yet they brought in HK-47 who wasnt on Taris, rather they met him on Tatooine

HK-47 has been in the game for at least two years. He wasn't brought in recently or because of Revan.
  • Options
    TL;DR at bottom

What I thought would be an epic way of releasing Revan would be once the player unlocks Revan, they get to choose his abilities and alignment and clothing. Then Revan could be personal to them and everyone would be happy.

Because you could be dark side, light side, or neutral and you could choose which abilities you had and the cooldowns reduced or increased based on their alignment versus your alignment. Like a dark side ability that had a cooldowns of 2 would have a cooldown of 4 on light side and vice versa. And you could choose any robes and choose male or female.

This is how Revan should have been released. As a customizable character that would radically change arena by having different strategies with different Revans.

TL;DR Revan should be customizable in game
    I make character kits! Ask me and I will try my best to make one for fun.
  • Options
    Calastar wrote: »
    TL;DR at bottom

What I thought would be an epic way of releasing Revan would be once the player unlocks Revan, they get to choose his abilities and alignment and clothing. Then Revan could be personal to them and everyone would be happy.

Because you could be dark side, light side, or neutral and you could choose which abilities you had and the cooldowns reduced or increased based on their alignment versus your alignment. Like a dark side ability that had a cooldowns of 2 would have a cooldown of 4 on light side and vice versa. And you could choose any robes and choose male or female.

This is how Revan should have been released. As a customizable character that would radically change arena by having different strategies with different Revans.

TL;DR Revan should be customizable in game

That is EXACTLY what me and a friend of mine talked about- once you get Revan, you choose his alignment.

But Malak was supposed to come out before. So if you choose LS, you have a force-connection bond with LS Bastila (since Bastilas alignment was already chosen as LS), if you choose DS, you have a master/apprentice bond with Malak.

The game has so much potential. They really should ask us fans for ideas.