Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Grimstoned wrote: »
    Grimstoned wrote: »
    Should Swgoh players sandbag? As in should we not level and gear our characters in order to be successful in future content.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have seen lately.

If you want to be good in all aspects, you need to develop your roster. If you do not develop your roster, you will perform poorly in the end. There is zero benefit to shortchanging your roster.

You are supremely confident. But I feel like you don’t understand what I am asking or how this game works. You are out of your element maybe. But that is not for me to say. Good luck 👍 you do you.

Hiw well do you do in TW with inflated gp?
    Should Swgoh players sandbag? As in should we not level and gear our characters in order to be successful in future content.

If you want to be good in all aspects, you need to develop your roster. If you do not develop your roster, you will perform poorly in the end. There is zero benefit to shortchanging your roster.

You are supremely confident. But I feel like you don’t understand what I am asking or how this game works. You are out of your element maybe. But that is not for me to say. Good luck 👍 you do you.

Oh I understand , and I will politely tell you that you are in your own words, out of your element.

Carry on shortchanging your roster, and have fun with that.

If people would read, matches are based on gp and win loss records, so, lose a few matches, you are paired with players that also have lost a few matches, ,

Proposing to halt roster development to try save a couple thousand GP points in a attempt to be paired to a player that has a tiny bit less GP is , well, you only harm yourself there so enjoy and go hard.
    I never said I would short change my roster. If you can’t see the benefits of sandbagging then what am I supposed to do about that? I can’t help you.
  • Grimstoned
    250 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Why is inflated rosters an issue? It’s basically saying don’t upgrade stuff unless this or that. Needs to be addressed...hey it’s too late for TW perhaps. But this new game mode can be saved.

Oh I understand , and I will politely tell you that you are in your own words, out of your element.

If people would read, matches are based on gp and win loss records, so, lose a few matches, you are paired with players that also have lost a few matches, ,

Proposing to halt roster development to try save a couple thousand GP points in a attempt to be paired to a player that has a tiny bit less GP is , well, you only harm yourself there so enjoy and go hard.
    I never said I would short change my roster. If you can’t see the benefits of sandbagging then what am I supposed to do about that? I can’t help you.

There are no benefits, And secondly, it’s hilarious that this seems to be a thing when first , no one has a clue as to what rewards , tiers and win loss payout s are like, and secondly, in the broadest sense, intentionally “sandbagging” as you call it can be easily construed as deliberately attempting to cheat the system,

Now, regarding your original post and question, which was should you not hear and level to be successful. I will reiterate, that’s not a wise course of action because it limits you in your abilities to play the game in all aspects.

• 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    By sand bagging do you want to quickly gear characters after the event starts? Im sure it going to lock characters and the amount of gear and ability mats that would be needed to level multiple teams is huge. In short I dont think you will gain much by “sandbagging”.
    Edit: the amount of times this can be done by a player is extremely limited.

There are no benefits, And secondly, it’s hilarious that this seems to be a thing when first , no one has a clue as to what rewards , tiers and win loss payout s are like, and secondly, in the broadest sense, intentionally “sandbagging” as you call it can be easily construed as deliberately attempting to cheat the system,

Now, regarding your original post and question, which was should you not hear and level to be successful. I will reiterate, that’s not a wise course of action because it limits you in your abilities to play the game in all aspects.

Hey Brotha I hear you. What Iam saying is I hope that unlocking characters and putting a little gear on them doesn’t negatively effect players the way it does in TW. Not everyone takes all characters to max right away. Hopefully matchmaking is based on teams selected not overall GP or maybe some other type of calculations besides pure GP.

Hey Brotha I hear you. What Iam saying is I hope that unlocking characters and putting a little gear on them doesn’t negatively effect players the way it does in TW. Not everyone takes all characters to max right away. Hopefully matchmaking is based on teams selected not overall GP or maybe some other type of calculations besides pure GP.

I’m fairly certain that won’t be an issue. It sounds like there are several factors at work, the least of which is the win loss record that is part of the matching, It might get end up being a decent idea, miles better then TW atleast.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

Hilarious the arguments made here...by you people sometimes..

if the guy holds back and only gears stuff when he needs it according to you "he's cheating the system"

while at the same time for 2 years the majority of posts on this forum tell you to do the exact same thing "before TW before TB forever....

When someone crys they overgeared people say "It's a choice"

When someone says they saved their gear people say "it's a choice"

When it does not fit someones narrative "it's gaming the system"

really ?

• Dk_rek wrote: »

Hilarious the arguments made here...by you people sometimes..

if the guy holds back and only gears stuff when he needs it according to you "he's cheating the system"

while at the same time for 2 years the majority of posts on this forum tell you to do the exact same thing "before TW before TB forever....

When someone crys they overgeared people say "It's a choice"

When someone says they saved their gear people say "it's a choice"

When it does not fit someones narrative "it's gaming the system"

really ?

Play on spin doctor
  • I don't know if the idea has been floated, but like many I've been thinking about the folks with wide vs deep rosters and the problems in pairing them against the opposite when considering "similar GP".

I propose that instead of a join period (which obviously isn't needed for single player) we have instead a declaration/platoon period.

During this period, players would select from their roster the toons they wish to participate with in the GA. Any toons not selected during this period would not be counted in the player's GP matching and would not be available to them, for defense or offense, during the event.

I know that the wins/losses will end up matching players better (in theory) as the event goes along, but unless that's a rolling result counted for the next GA start as well, it still feels icky, like Zombie-low-gear icky, to present players with a scenario that they cannot correct - a wide vs deep roster - except in very trivial ways like mod removal from some lower toons.
  • We really can’t tell whether underdeveloping your roster will benefit you in this game mode without knowing (1) the reward tiers, and (2) how the matchmaking is implemented. If the matchmaking is bad and there’s a big gap between the rewards for first and second place, etc., then yeah, it could really benefit you to minimize your GP. But we probably won’t know that until the event goes live, and then it’ll probably be tweaked a bit as time goes on.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Does an underdeveloped roster benefit CG? How is it profitable to have players not gear and level certain toons or to wait to level them?
  • We really can’t tell whether underdeveloping your roster will benefit you in this game mode without knowing (1) the reward tiers, and (2) how the matchmaking is implemented. If the matchmaking is bad and there’s a big gap between the rewards for first and second place, etc., then yeah, it could really benefit you to minimize your GP. But we probably won’t know that until the event goes live, and then it’ll probably be tweaked a bit as time goes on.

There's a big difference between not leveling every character to g7 and not leveling anything. Personally, I've started only gearing characters that I intend to take to gear 12 eventually.

And those are only characters that have use in doing better in some aspect of the game (raids, tw, tb, events, arena, ect). Notmuch point in gearing useless characters.

Doing this has made it where I can score in the top 20 in arena, 1st in fleet arena most days, top 5 in raids, and complete to mythic tier of almost every event.

And a benefit of saving the gear that you would put on a useless or less useful toon is that you have more gear ready for the better toons when they come out.

Does an underdeveloped roster benefit CG? How is it profitable to have players not gear and level certain toons or to wait to level them?

People aren't saying to not gear toons. Just to be selective about it. You don't need jedi guardian at g8 when you won't be able to do much with them anyway.
  • Wow. Iam sure this is exactly how the devs wanted all this to work. Thanks
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    they should add some more assault battles requiring specific characters or something that would resolve the issue of ppl holding back their rosters... I don't really think it's a massive issue to be honest...
    you need ewoks for something rebels, NS, Jedi for assault battles, R1, BH, Troopers for TB

If someone has 4 G12 teams basically NS, Sith, Jedi, Resistance and the whole rest of their roster is sitting at level one they are pretty worthless to a guild...those 4 teams may not be but not much Gp help with TB, only 4 teams for TW is meh, then do they help with HSTR ....

Actually this mode might be for the people who don't give a rats about guilds...they build their rosters the way they want...maybe not having solo Haat teams or HSTR teams so no one wants em...but they could have 4 solid teams....and honestly them having an advantage here when the whole rest of the game puts them at a disadvantage may not be a bad thing....actually now that I think about it.

Again I' in the give it a chance boat...sounds fun...I actually believe they are going to make the matchmaking better...

In the end there will be ONE winner....and 7 people posting here on forum how bad it is lol...
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

That's the thing. Some parameter that you can push higher should be beneficial in all areas of the game. But GA sound terribly to the contrary.

Matchmaking depending on previous match win/losses. We are talking inside a single tourney, right? Not something that assigns you a long term score.

If I could go back in time, I should definitely sandbag. Currently I'm close to 4M gp, I could have kept it 700k-1m lower while maintaining the functioning part as is.

That train has sailed for me though and I'm worrying about how GA matchups will be made.
  • Minired wrote: »
    Love the concept, but it's success will be down to the opponents algorithm..
    The event we want is to be able to battle fellow guild members .

This ^ 100%. If we know our opponent it creates camaraderie and a sense of community. If we are fighting nameless opponent X it is very similar to fighting an NPC.
  • It seems like it would be simple to add a large number of variables to the matching algorithm for a single player. Gp, average speed of each toon, number of g12 toons, number of zeta and omega toons, number of g11 toons, number of nearly maxed skills and so on all the way down to number of level 1 g1 toons. Weigh each variable according to how they effect over all performance. Then match players as closely as possible. You may not always get a fair fight but it should be close.
  • I would like to see a global lifetime ranking like tennis as one of the parameters to matchmaking. I think in it's simplicity over the long run, it will fairly match players.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Question regarding the matchmaking as I really do not know how it works in this game. But in TW does it match based on who in your guild joined the TW not the overall GP? So if only 35 of your members join in on the TW does it match you using only the GP of those 35?

If so could you not use a match making model that lets say GW only allows 10 teams per player. Based on entering during the preview phase of GW you select your 10 teams. Now the game matches you with someone that has 10 teams close to the same GP as your 10 teams. So people get matched more even and undeveloped or toons only used in the past for specific events but not fully geared/moded will not affect how you get matched.

It may or may not already be set up that way but it seems matching at that point would be up to the player and their team decisions would affect who they went against in GW and not the game.
  • Question regarding the matchmaking as I really do not know how it works in this game. But in TW does it match based on who in your guild joined the TW not the overall GP? So if only 35 of your members join in on the TW does it match you using only the GP of those 35?

If so could you not use a match making model that lets say GW only allows 10 teams per player. Based on entering during the preview phase of GW you select your 10 teams. Now the game matches you with someone that has 10 teams close to the same GP as your 10 teams. So people get matched more even and undeveloped or toons only used in the past for specific events but not fully geared/moded will not affect how you get matched.

It may or may not already be set up that way but it seems matching at that point would be up to the player and their team decisions would affect who they went against in GW and not the game.

GW only counts toons over 6000 gp and you can only use toons over 6000 gp. So it already does that to an extent.
  • TideWarrior
    90 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Question regarding the matchmaking as I really do not know how it works in this game. But in TW does it match based on who in your guild joined the TW not the overall GP? So if only 35 of your members join in on the TW does it match you using only the GP of those 35?

GW only counts toons over 6000 gp and you can only use toons over 6000 gp. So it already does that to an extent.

Thanks for the response. It seems though if after selecting your teams they get locked in and then a better match making would take place.

Thanks for the response. It seems though if after selecting your teams they get locked in and then a better match making would take place.

The real issue is if you're late game, the characters that are above 6000 gp but not at least g11 are pretty useless.

But it should be easier for individual matchmaking since there are far less variables.
  • 2m GP Tuna from the Rim here.

I’m looking forward to this!

I love TW even though we often get hosed by the pairing algorithm. Hoping the gameplay of this doesn’t leave me disappointed, but largely optimistic. :)
  • Degs29
    360 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I would like to see a global lifetime ranking like tennis as one of the parameters to matchmaking. I think in it's simplicity over the long run, it will fairly match players.

THIS! This is the only way matchmaking should be done. Sure, for the first round of matchmaking, you can do it based on GP. Say if you have 2,000,000 GP, your matchmaking "rank" starts at 2000. Then you are matched up with others with the same rank. Every win in the Grand arena nets you an additional 20 rank points, and every loss loses you 20 rank points.

Skilled players should be going up against more and more skilled players. Less skilled players should be going up against less and less skilled players.

The current system they're apparently using will reward "tighter" lower GP rosters and punish "looser" higher GP rosters. I can see that frustrating a lot of people. I hope they have the ranking idea in mind instead.
  • Entire idea sounds terrible. We already have too much time we need to spend on this game, and this sounds like something terribly unbalanced
  • I think some people are worrying way too much about things that can only be speculated about so far. I am curious to every new game mode, time will show if my personal gameplay strategy will make me succesful in it or not.

Matchmaking: If the matchmaking was meant to be "perfectly balanced" including the many factors some people have suggested during this thread, wouldn't that take away the idea of game-wide competition at all? For many it would only lead to the same issue that's often duscussed about the regular arena: mirror matches and not a lot of surprises. How boring! I am looking forward to face players who might follow a completely other strategy than myself when it comes to which characters are geared up in which order, narrow-focused or wide-spread. Variety is fun, and if I lose when facing a player who developed his roster more succesful/competitive than myself, I can respect that. It only encourages me to get better myself, but won't change my general way of gameplay, as PvP is not everything in this game.

Sandbagging: Let the people do it who want to, but don't worry about it getting such a big problem. As it already works for TW, I can only assume that there will be a time frame too before a match that freezes the roster. That already makes sure nobody can, for example, remove all mods to get in a lower GP category, just to re-adjust everything when it's time to place the defense.
    Remember that since the issue with the "paper zombie", everyone should know that it's not in CGs interest that players benefit from undergearing anything. It was no strategy, people simply abused a bug, and it was taken care of.
  • Sorry if this has been asked before (don't want to read the 10 pages or trolls...), do we still get a reward if we finish last ? Is it worth the time ?
    As long as we get something good even if we get matched against P2P players like TW, I am fine with it.
    When can we see the prize list ?
  • Sorry if this has been asked before (don't want to read the 10 pages or trolls...), do we still get a reward if we finish last ? Is it worth the time ?
    As long as we get something good even if we get matched against P2P players like TW, I am fine with it.
    When can we see the prize list ?

They haven’t shown us the rewards yet, but I’m sure last place gets something.