Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• So far matching has been pretty good for me. Last time it was a very close loss, just a few points in it.

This time, though, I only put in as many teams as there were circles showing on the screen for each zone. I was confused about how my opponent started with such a high score compared to me & then found that I could have put 3 teams in the front zones! Bah!
  • Mousie wrote: »
    Auto depot failed for me.

Auto deploy doesn't exist yet.

They added it to the game and then it broke the game so they removed it. (That was during event #2, the one before this one and the reason we had 2 patches on same day within a couple hours of each other).
  • I must say I like 3v3 because it makes me think about combat differently
  • I like this part of game, its fun, effectively, time to prepar is too long. And, as others, i made the mistake and deployed only 2 teams in front....Not very good, to miss a circle in a pic... technic-man was maybe drunk ???
    Nb: Meet once time a revan and traya teams (i dont have any), and finally i won...So, its not impossible. Also if revan and traya trio are in defense, its still 2 teams in less in offense for your enemy
  • Razakiel
    5 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    @CG_SBCrumb
    I agree with all those above me, ships are an issue. This is just ridiculous: my current opponent's Character GP is about 15% above mine, because I have good ships! How am I supposed to compete?
    It should be fairly easy to compare two separate GP numbers (characters and ships) as opposed to just one (total GP) when doing matchmaking, no?
    And for events where there are absolutely no ship slots (boo to those events btw!!!), ship GP should not even be included in the calculation for matchmaking.
    This would make GA a lot more fair, and at least to me, much more enjoyable... because seriously, there is absolutely no way I can even think of getting first place and 3 zetas in my current matchup, unless my opponent sets 0 defense or forgets to attack...
    Great potential in this game mode, but PLEASE consider ships and those that have invested in them too!
  • Match-making based on total GP does not work.

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

Now, I'm not expecting to win every match but please tell me why I should even bother with this 'match'?

If only the top 60 toons matter, then match based on the top 60 toons of peoples rosters not the full roster.

If you want to match us on full GP, then please give us enough nodes to have to fill so at least I then get to actually use that GP.

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

Now, I'm not expecting to win every match but please tell me why I should even bother with this 'match'?

If only the top 60 toons matter, then match based on the top 60 toons of peoples rosters not the full roster.

If you want to match us on full GP, then please give us enough nodes to have to fill so at least I then get to actually use that GP.

Wowzers, throw in the towel so bad that he çan't do his quests xD

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

I don't see the problem.. Looks like he farmed more speed mods and pushed for those two high value toons.. You have a few more high offense mods..
    Your gp is almost exactly the same, maybe one low junk toon different. Looks like your choices were slightly different, but you're on equal footing.
    Why exactly are you complaining about that?
  • Gannon wrote: »
    Match-making based on total GP does not work.

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

I don't see the problem.. Looks like he farmed more speed mods and pushed for those two high value toons.. You have a few more high offense mods..
    Your gp is almost exactly the same, maybe one low junk toon different. Looks like your choices were slightly different, but you're on equal footing.

Beçause the çurrent GP çalçulation refleçts true value of gear tiers, right?
  • No_Try wrote: »
    Gannon wrote: »

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

Um, yea it's a point system. He has more g12s, you have more g11s. You likely also have more toons between g8-10. Your character gp is the same, so yes, you're equals. Player's choice of how you used it.

If the gp value was different, I may see why you're complaining..
  • I think it's great. A little long but otherwise good fun. Can't understand the complaints about gp not being a good way to match players. One play style likes to unlock all toons,one style likes to unlock then build before unlocking another. They both have benefit's and draw backs. People who unlock all toons have a mutch better chance of unlocking legendary toons when released, people who build sqauds do better in tw and Ga. Stop complaining about the choices you make.

You forgot ships

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

What are you smoking? He's not on equal footing at all. He's going to get smoked unless his opponent simply doesn't show up.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Degs29 wrote: »

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

What are you smoking? He's not on equal footing at all. He's going to get smoked unless his opponent simply doesn't show up.

That looks more even than my final round last GA. I won. There are only so many nodes, and most people have more than enough toons to fill both defense and offense teams, with some left over just in case.. So no, I don't see an issue there

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

Then you need to look again. At that total G12/G11 discrepancy. This any clearer?

Them

giuh00kpzpa7.jpg

Vs

Me

xa56emip3lli.jpg

This is as clear an example you need to show why matching on total GP for a game mode where only the top fraction of toon GP actually matters. It doesn't generate even match ups.

Again, I'm not demanding to win every match up. I'm asking for a fair match up. The way the game mode works and is currently matched doesn't work.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    uug5z60hepha.jpeg

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

Then you need to look again. At that total G12/G11 discrepancy. This any clearer?

Them

giuh00kpzpa7.jpg

Vs

Me

xa56emip3lli.jpg

This is as clear an example you need to show why matching on total GP for a game mode where only the top fraction of toon GP actually matters. It doesn't generate even match ups.

Again, I'm not demanding to win every match up. I'm asking for a fair match up. The way the game mode works and is currently matched doesn't work.

yes, I got that from the first pic. You do realize that g9-11 can kill g12s also right? I killed a g12 phasma first order team with g8-9 toons last round.. Just cuz he had more g12s doesn't mean he's going to win, if you know how to use what you have to its potential..
    No_Try wrote: »

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

You likely also have more toons between g8-10.

Yes, I do. And i dont get to use them at all in this game mode. 10 teams defence, 10 teams offence, thats it. Thats all that matters

Either match based on the top 60 -70 (or so) toons if we only need 10x3 person squads or 12x5 person squads or add in more nodes to even it out if we must be matched on total GP. Actually have enough nodes to let me use my g8 toons vs their g4 or 5 ones.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

You likely also have more toons between g8-10.

Yes, I do. And i dont get to use them at all in this game mode. 10 teams defence, 10 teams offence, thats it. Thats all that matters

Either match based on the top 60 -70 (or so) toons if we only need 10x3 person squads or 12x5 person squads or add in more nodes to even it out if we must be matched on total GP. Actually have enough nodes to let me use my g8 toons vs their g4 or 5 ones.

I have the same issue, but I don't agree that you can't use them at all.. Almost every team I use in GA includes a g8 toon, and so far I've won every round of every GA that we've had. Don't ignore g8s, they can still be put to use. Mod them for their purpose and mix them into teams that could benefit from them..
    uug5z60hepha.jpeg

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

Them

giuh00kpzpa7.jpg

Vs

Me

xa56emip3lli.jpg

yes, I got that from the first pic. You do realize that g9-11 can kill g12s also right? I killed a g12 phasma first order team with g8-9 toons last round.. Just cuz he had more g12s doesn't mean he's going to win, if you know how to use what you have to its potential..

Oh, hey you're right. They dont have Phasma G12. I'll be fine then.

I can just use my G8 toons vs their G12 Revan, Traya, Imp troopers, Ewoks, Nighsisters... should work a dream
  • qkjerome
    21 posts Member
    edited December 2018

What bot or tool produced that GA diff output ? (sorry for the slightly off topic).

Good luck against that Revan...

EDIT: never mind, bot name is on the screenshot. Please delete my comment if possible
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    You don't have any counters for those teams? You should look up their counters and save those for offense just in case. Even if it takes multiple hits, you should be fine
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Qkjerome that's the dsr bot on discord
  • qkjerome wrote: »

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

What bot or tool produced that output ? (sorry for the slightly off topic).

Good luck against that Revan...

No problem. It's the DSR bot. They've added a new tool to it for Grand Arena. You can customise it for different toons/faction comparisons as well.

And thanks, but I know I've got worse than a snowballs chance in hell.
    uug5z60hepha.jpeg

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

Them

giuh00kpzpa7.jpg

Vs

Me

xa56emip3lli.jpg

Oh, hey you're right. They dont have Phasma G12. I'll be fine then.

I can just use my G8 toons vs their G12 Revan, Traya, Imp troopers, Ewoks, Nighsisters... should work a dream

Seems entirely like player error to me, gannon is right. You decided to spread your gear and resources while your opponent focused on getting high gear for fewer toons. Part of this games strategy is being clever with your resources
  • Sometimes the matchmaker is going to put you against better players. It makes sense that you won't win them all. If you aren't a focused player then you won't and shouldn't beat a focused player. Just have a little cry about it and then improve your situation...or have a lil cry about it and don't play the game mode. As long as CG sort out the bugs, like forced restarts that void victories and no clear indication of deployment numbers, then it is a good game mode as far as I'm concerned.
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    Blame yourself not the algorithm. This is a very fair match up. It sucks but there are people that did a better job at managing resources and prioritizing their toons.

Its not the algorithm's fault you can't clear the heroic sith raid. Keep in mind people that are in the same level as you can be way ahead because they focused on getting high scores in raids, hence more gear. Which seems to be the difference here. From the bot stats it seems like a pretty even match.

Using "he has Traya / Revan" is a garbage argument. In lower GP people are going to complain "he has CLS i don't" or "He has JTR and I don't" etc. There are ways to beat them, and its not a good excuse

The entire point of Grand Arena is to face others who used the same amount of resources (see: character GP) with different focus, and to determine the best.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Blame yourself not the algorithm. This is a very fair match up. It sucks but there are people that did a better job at managing resources and prioritizing their toons.

Its not the algorithm's fault you can't clear the heroic sith raid. Keep in mind people that are in the same level as you can be way ahead because they focused on getting high scores in raids, hence more gear. Which seems to be the difference here. From the bot stats it seems like a pretty even match.

Using "he has Traya / Revan" is a garbage argument. In lower GP people are going to complain "he has CLS i don't" or "He has JTR and I don't" etc. There are ways to beat them, and its not a good excuse

The entire point of Grand Arena is to face others who used the same amount of resources (see: character GP) with different focus, and to determine the best.

I'm waiting for the "my matchup is unfair because the other person has better mods than me" posts to start.
  • Ultra wrote: »

Except ships still count , so your theory is incorrect. See ship GP
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    I was talking about Ferlandrossa's complaint about the algorithm against his match with The Senate, where the ship GP is equal (1.4 mil vs 1.4 mil). I disagree with his complaint that the matchmaking was bad in his case.

I've said it a couple of times that I'm not a fan of overall GP either because of ships GP.