Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• I love the replies that start... "i love this concept." I think it is funny because they really don't give much depth to the Concept, it is really more of a title, no structure has been decided yet.

I also love reading all the positive responses and what they hope to see in this new mode, because at least half of them are going to be really let down. Half want little reward variation, half want big rewards for winner, little rewards for loser. there are just so many hopes that are at odds with other hopes, I can't wait till cg crushes them all.
  • ottomaddux wrote: »
    Kokie wrote: »
    People on here who seem to think that whales will have an advantage in the new arena I say bologna, the nature of a whale is to max every toon hoping that they all become relevant at some point in time whereas a ftp player has to make hard choices as to what they want and need. Now if I who spends carefully on this game went up against a full blown whale of the same gp I am fully confident I would win because all the key toons I need to win I have. The whale may or may not because he she bought every toon as it came out rather it is relevant or not. My roster is lean and mean the typical whale is not so the whole argument whales have the advantage is nonsense

you must be confusing whales with dolphins. We have two whales in our guild. Yes you are correct the don't discriminate which toons they get. They both have every toon 7 starred g12. I will repeat every character 7stars and gear 12. They do discriminate in mods. probably on 75 of each have god mods. It is nothing you can compete with.

a whale that has a roster of every character 7 star and g12 will have a gp of over 5 mil. Ftp that don't have a chance against that will by nature have a lower gp. So you wouldn't face that whale if you are matched against players of similar gp.

You may face newer whales that have a high gp and a lot of g12 but if the gp is similar, a focused ftp player would still be competitive in that situation.

But if you gear every charater just to inflate your gp, you'll probably suffer for it. But that's the nature of competition. Who ever builds the most efficient roster at their gp will win.
  • Sounds good to me. If you have a artificially high GP you are not going to like this game mode though me thinks. Myself I haven't taken all my characters to gear 7 and have only geared up characters that are useful to me. Good luck everyone ☺
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    I hope they take ship GP into account, since it over-inflates the GP and is the biggest reason people have huge GPs. It might pair up stronger players against weaker ones or weaker players with stronger ones
  • I’m concerned it will be like the mini tournament from 2 years ago. Where people hacked their way to victory and we ended up missing out on rewards because of it. They may of been banned who knows, but those who missed out on the characters due to the hackers were never compensated.
  • not excited.
  • Put minimum teams. Or don't even bother. Get prizes.
  • CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Immediate concern is, how much time per day is this going to take? I took it easy last week and my screen time was down 37% to just 3.5 hours per day...amazingly, and perhaps disturbingly, that's not even an exaggeration.

Point is, for a mobile game there's already some fairly hefty time commitments involved in the game if you're part of an active guild. Has this been considered? What about offsetting time required with some QoL shortcuts elsewhere to compensate?
    We hear you, the time commitment was another big topic we examined closely with this feature. We don't want this to turn into hours and hours of work. This should be a fun way to compete with players of a similar level

I don't understand why people want to spend less time in a good game. To me, this is not only a mobile game - it has already become a full-value computer game!

During the day, I can play the less time consuming parts on the phone, but at home when there's enough time, I love to spend 1-2 hours on my computer, using an android emulator. As it is not full screen, I can do other things while waiting for cooldowns, e.g. watching Youtube videos about game strategies and so on. In this game, you either invest time or money to be successful. I decided for time, and would love to spend even more time in-game; the only problem is that most time of the day, after all energy is spent, there's just nothing left to do until things reset.
  • Stop hating on CG. This is a great idea I've been wanting for ages. Because it'll be such a big part of the game I really doubt it'll be rolled out with a ton of glitches. Be thankful guys, they've obviously put a lot of effort already into this because they wouldn't announce before theye started the programing.
  • Stop hating on CG. This is a great idea I've been wanting for ages. Because it'll be such a big part of the game I really doubt it'll be rolled out with a ton of glitches. Be thankful guys, they've obviously put a lot of effort already into this because they wouldn't announce before theye started the programing.

Found the new guy
  • Each round, you’ll be matched with other players who have the same win/loss record as you, and you’ll never fight the same opponent twice in a Grand Arena event.

Does it mean at the 2nd round we can face players having 2 times our GP with the same win/loss ratio ? (as matchmarking is just done at the beginning)
  • Jos33680 wrote: »
    Each round, you’ll be matched with other players who have the same win/loss record as you, and you’ll never fight the same opponent twice in a Grand Arena event.

Does it mean at the 2nd round we can face players having 2 times our GP with the same win/loss ratio ? (as matchmarking is just done at the beginning)

No, it says you are matched up in groups of 8 with people with similar GP. Your 3 matches will be against someone else from that original group. So it’s basically like a tournament.
  • Jos33680 wrote: »
    Each round, you’ll be matched with other players who have the same win/loss record as you, and you’ll never fight the same opponent twice in a Grand Arena event.

No, it says you are matched up in groups of 8 with people with similar GP. Your 3 matches will be against someone else from that original group. So it’s basically like a tournament.

Ok thanks.
    This sounds really awesome. For anyone that likes TW this is exciting. @CG_SBCrumb any more info on potential prizes?
    Not yet but there will definitely be something cool for players in Grand Arena
    FolsomTony wrote: »
    I hope the player matching algorithm is better than the guild TW algorithm.
    We have been working on this exact issue. It will be very important for matchmaker to feel even and fair for this mode.
    Also TW's algorithm is being reexamined as well.

I like the idea for payout time changes, and i can't wait to see who will be the next character in the family of SWGOH ;)

I really love the idea for Grand Arena, but this also will encourage more and more cheaters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD-77-trxz0&feature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76CHi8RYsgc&feature=youtu.be

I hate these guys... They are like a cancer that need to be removed. I saw several forums, where these guys even make guilds only for members with cheats so they can do Heroic Raids and Territory Wars...

It will be nice if the devs. manage to figure it out someway to detect these cheaters in the battles. Probably will be a good idea to make Server checks for speed, health, damage etc. in battles on some period of time (15-30 second) or something like that.

In the end i want to say that you guys are doing a great job with constant updates and new features. Keep it up ;)
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    I suspect this mode will seriously bite me in the back. I fully leveled all my toons, at least geared all to g7, leveled and equipped all my mods as a day 1 f2p which seriously bloated my GP beyond my punching power....GP can only be a good thing, right?
  • A draft ban might be a great idea for this. Each player can choose 5 toons that their opponent can't use
  • I hope they're going to launch a test server where we can open test this :) looking forward to it!!
  • Matchmaking will never work, no matter what CG is promised.
  • I don't think matchups will be a great problem on GA as it's much simpler to get it right. They'll just base it on GP probably...and we'll complain endlessly GP is not a good indicator of roster strength xD. But at least it won't be unforeseeable like TW is.
  • Rewards will include a "rework GG" token. When the community combined have earned enough, he will get a rework. [/end wishful thinking].

On a more seriouse note, it could be fun to make something like 3 events run at the same time, either with very small rewards or with shared number of plays. Each event would then be tied to a character, like GG, Windu and Maul. Completing the events would create points, the event with the most points would be "the winner" and the toon tied to it would get a rework (or perhaps more realistically, get their rework released first).
  • So stoked for this. Woo hoo!!
  • @CG_SBCrumb What are the measure to counter “game terrorist” aka cheaters.

We need logs or an automated way for players to check if our opponents plays truthfully or not.

And damage will not even be enough: crit chance with statistical test need to be implemented as well damage distribution because a slight modification of api can make a huge difference.

You can spot obvious cheaters, but how do you catch cheaters than reduce the AI damage by 20% and their crit chance by 50%?

Tourneys were good, but arena still has a lot of cheaters and even when we report them and they have been banned they still come back.

I hope you will answer to this question because it has been rampant for years and is diminishing everyone’s investment.
  • Athen_Greeco
    142 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    First and foremost this is an exciting new feature but here are some constructive and yet frustrating comments:

1. How will this Grand Arena but more equitable? All of the arenas suck for me: started at launch and took 1.5yrs off. GP is irrelevant when newer toons outmatch dated ones

2. While this new feature is exciting, I still do not think its mechanics of being like TW (a thing that is not daily but every couple weeks) is a good thing.

That is, we are collecting massive about of toons and leveling them up for a great majority of them to be wasted and not being used. Except for the few days of TB/TW every couple of weeks.

3. The design of the game is all about resource management and collecting the best toons, yet most of the games daily activities are no longer relevant or challenging for rewards and gears that stink.

In sum...
    Will this be fair to all?
    Does this solve the larger issue the mass collection of toons being unused for the majority of the gameplay ?
    Does this solve the problem of in game rewards being mostly irrelevant as you have 1000s of unused gear?
    Post edited by Athen_Greeco on
    Immediate concern is, how much time per day is this going to take? I took it easy last week and my screen time was down 37% to just 3.5 hours per day...amazingly, and perhaps disturbingly, that's not even an exaggeration.

Point is, for a mobile game there's already some fairly hefty time commitments involved in the game if you're part of an active guild. Has this been considered? What about offsetting time required with some QoL shortcuts elsewhere to compensate?
    We hear you, the time commitment was another big topic we examined closely with this feature. We don't want this to turn into hours and hours of work. This should be a fun way to compete with players of a similar level

I think the game has grown past timers at all; especially with arena payout times shifting I think eliminating cooldowns on battles would help as would removing CDs in challenges. There's so much we need to do, that feature isn't needed anymore to keep us logging in the game. Or at least graduate them out similar to Gal War where you age in to that system. The game is fun, but the time issue really is a big concern for many.

Another area of opportunity would be for Territory battles, having the guild leader ablity to advance to the next phase so TBs could be completed in fewer days. Having a handful of days where there's no guild stuff reuqired to do aside from getting your 600 would be a nice relief.

Automatic entry in raids would be a nice feature as well.
  • Indeed the game had become almost like a job for a lot of us . For raids,daily activity ,daily events , tb ,tw, arenas you need ~3÷4 hours daily . In the new event ptp will have a good start . Ive seen a post where somobody say that youll not meet 5mil gp whales but the problem are 1 mil gp players who have maxed revan for example . Im 100% ftp and im glad that i can earn more rewards if i win or lose.
  • I think its a great idea to include the grand arena,but What will be the rewards?Well i have a few theories or Characters we could see.
    1.Padme
    2.General Kenobi
    3.Jedi Knight Anakin
    4.Darth sion
    5.Droideka
    6.Captain Gregor
    7.General Griveous
    8.Embo
    9.Maybe a brand new character exclusive for this new arena store.
  • Would be possible to also separate player by the amount spent in the game for this new game mod? That would really level the playing field.
  • Very great to see more ways to play! A few ideas to make this the next great thing...

1. Playing against Allies would provide a way for everyone to test and see where their weaknesses are. As well as provide more ways to actually use their Allies. Can send a battle request or use last team set up for immediate battling.
    2. Post game stats. What team did best on defense, what was used against your teams
    3. Seasons to accrue points for extra rewards at the end. Also makes it worth while to always try to get to that next reward tier even if you are stuck losing.
    4. Seasons favor different characters. Light side, dark side, rogue one, etc. Once again will keep things fresh and make people WANT to farm and gear more characters.
    5. Ability to set up territories automatically. Possible ability to use last territory set up. Stream lines a possibly redundant part.

Concerns:
    1. If I am supposed to use my whole roster Gear becomes even more on crunch. Stun guns, carbanti, etc. are blocking many characters from reaching higher gear levels and ultimately being used at all. Maybe a new store which uses some (new?)currency to be able to go for much needed gear. Or rewards can be chosen rather than random.
    2. Is there a comeback mechanic or MMR sort of system? If I lose over and over and over how do I want to keep playing this mode or feel like I have a chance? With arena I can choose who to fight. TW, Raids, and TB I get help from my guild. With campaigns I can try the same node over and over AND get help from an Ally.
    3. Everything comes back to Arena meta. A large portion of TW mirrors the arena metagame which is fine because it literally is M.E.T.A. but will Grand arena just be a mirror of arena too? What keeps this mode from becoming arena and TW?

Excited for this mode FOR SURE. Can't wait to see it released and then evolve.