Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• 3 day review period before round 3 whaaaat
  • Dk_rek wrote: »
    3 day review period before round 3 whaaaat

Ahhh there it goes much better
  • Overall, the matchmaking has been decent. Of the 8 players I was up against, two had twice the g12 as I did and several had less.

I was matched against the two that had twice the g12 as I did for the first two rounds. The first round, I had better mods and put up a strong defense that held so I still won only clearing one territory.

Then on the second, my opponent only set 2 teams in the front. Not sure if that was on purpose or accident. They had revan and I didn't had had them modded where it was tough. I sent my best offense and lost. Then I couldn't clear anything because my b teams weren't good enough to get through their defense. But I still won from the extra banners from setting the two other defensive teams. I'm not sure hiw it would have went had they set full defense. It may have been weaker teams and allowed me to get the banners anyway. But they didn't touch my defense. I don't know if it was because they didn't have enough left to get through it or they just were busy. They had revan, cls, and jtr on defense on the front so it's possible they didn't save enough quality teams to get through. And they would need to clear 4 teams to make up for not setting 2 on defense.

But setting at least 4 good teams in the front can make the difference and still win if you have less g12. So don't give up.
  • Overall, the matchmaking has been decent. Of the 8 players I was up against, two had twice the g12 as I did and several had less.

I was matched against the two that had twice the g12 as I did for the first two rounds. The first round, I had better mods and put up a strong defense that held so I still won only clearing one territory.

Then on the second, my opponent only set 2 teams in the front. Not sure if that was on purpose or accident. They had revan and I didn't had had them modded where it was tough. I sent my best offense and lost. Then I couldn't clear anything because my b teams weren't good enough to get through their defense. But I still won from the extra banners from setting the two other defensive teams. I'm not sure hiw it would have went had they set full defense. It may have been weaker teams and allowed me to get the banners anyway. But they didn't touch my defense. I don't know if it was because they didn't have enough left to get through it or they just were busy. They had revan, cls, and jtr on defense on the front so it's possible they didn't save enough quality teams to get through. And they would need to clear 4 teams to make up for not setting 2 on defense.

But setting at least 4 good teams in the front can make the difference and still win if you have less g12. So don't give up.

It is refreshing to see a positive comment about this hornets nest topic. I agree completely about defense...I am about to fight for 1st place and while saving some big guns for attack my main focus and strategy has been in defense. I love this 3v3, it is a game within our game. I am having a blast, even if I do not win against this much stronger opponent I will just go back and tweak my strategy and hope they do this 3v3 GA again so I can try the new strategy. It would be nice though if they took the ship GP out of the equation.
    Everyone have a fun New Years!

It is refreshing to see a positive comment about this hornets nest topic. I agree completely about defense...I am about to fight for 1st place and while saving some big guns for attack my main focus and strategy has been in defense. I love this 3v3, it is a game within our game. I am having a blast, even if I do not win against this much stronger opponent I will just go back and tweak my strategy and hope they do this 3v3 GA again so I can try the new strategy. It would be nice though if they took the ship GP out of the equation.
    Everyone have a fun New Years!

I'd rather they just let us use ships in the 3v3. I like playing with ships. They could reduce the reinforcements to 2 and have 2 defensive slots and 2 offenses for ships. It would be fun and make you use a deep roster of ships.

But I haven't noticed my ships holding me back as much as some complain. My ships is 40% of my gp and I haven't lost a round yet. Though the last two mentioned above were tough. And I'm not about to neglect ships. I like the 400 crystals as day from first in fleet arena too much for that.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Wait you get benefits from your ships and you can still do well in GA at the same time? The forums told me that's impossible.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    The more we have GA, the more I'm liking the matching system tbh. I haven't seen any issues.
    Of the 8, two are usually way above me on g12s and zetas, and i usually face off with one at the end. So far I've won every GA thanks to clever strategy against a stronger opponent.
    I don't honestly care about them matching with ship gp tho, it's not much different from the ppl who bring every toon to lvl85 g8. So you can't use ships this time.. They can't use all their toons either, but it's counting all their gp the same way.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Wait you get benefits from your ships and you can still do well in GA at the same time? The forums told me that's impossible.

It's totally possible. The crystals go to getting legendary characters the 1st time or gear. And having better ships leads to more zetas long term. Both of those help you in grand arena.

I bet most opponents I face that have crap ships also aren't focused. So, yes they have more character gp. But that character gp is likely to be g7 or g8 characters with a more limited amount of zetas than I have so it isn't necessarily a disadvantage for me.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

It's totally possible. The crystals go to getting legendary characters the 1st time or gear. And having better ships leads to more zetas long term. Both of those help you in grand arena.

I bet most opponents I face that have crap ships also aren't focused. So, yes they have more character gp. But that character gp is likely to be g7 or g8 characters with a more limited amount of zetas than I have so it isn't necessarily a disadvantage for me.

I....can't tell if you missed the sarcasm or ignored it. :)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

I....can't tell if you missed the sarcasm or ignored it. :)

Mostly just ignored it. And elaborated.
  • I have an issue with matching people based on gp which includes ships. then ships aren't part of the equation
    ; I faced a player with the same gp as me but had an almost 250k advantage on me just from toons. I don't care about facing someone with a higher gp but I did get my **** violated in grand arena I have gear 9 toons my opponent had as many gear 12 toons as I had gear 9. I don't think that's fair.i might of had a chance if I was allowed to face his fleet vs mine
  • darthmatos wrote: »
    I have an issue with matching people based on gp which includes ships. then ships aren't part of the equation
    ; I faced a player with the same gp as me but had an almost 250k advantage on me just from toons. I don't care about facing someone with a higher gp but I did get my **** violated in grand arena I have gear 9 toons my opponent had as many gear 12 toons as I had gear 9. I don't think that's fair.i might of had a chance if I was allowed to face his fleet vs mine

If you don't have anything above g9, there are bigger issues than whether your ship gp is counted. Like why you haven't taken some characters to g11 or g12 when your opponent has? To make up that much difference, you would almost have to have a ton of characters unlocked and leveled to g7 or g8. Sounds like a focus problem rather than a match making one.

Focus on one team at a time and gear them to g12. Then repeat. You'll get more competitive that way.

Either that or you're at a low gp and you have a whale that bought a lot of g12. That happens too. But that should be pretty rare. How did the other 6 compare to your roster?
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Just because a handful amount of small people who have actually gotten good matchmaking happened, it doesn't mean its a flawless system. It doesn't suddenly make it "good". Every single time you see a post of 100k GP differences in crew power, it means its not working. Matchmaking is Objectively not working, not based on peoples bias.

The better idea would be to always include ships in every GA, so if they count that towards GP matchmaking, everyone is happy not just the usual white knights who defend everything.
  • Gorem wrote: »
    Just because a handful amount of small people who have actually gotten good matchmaking happened, it doesn't mean its a flawless system. It doesn't suddenly make it "good". Every single time you see a post of 100k GP differences in crew power, it means its not working. Matchmaking is Objectively not working, not based on peoples bias.

The better idea would be to always include ships in every GA, so if they count that towards GP matchmaking, everyone is happy not just the usual white knights who defend everything.

If you read my earlier post, I had two matches that were against players with more g12. Almost double. I still won. So it is possible. The fact remains that you can't possibly match every possible factor.

And straight gp is as fair as anything to go by. It rewards those who develop their rosters with slightlt better rewards and encourages those that don't to do so with the chance of better rewards next time.
  • Gorem wrote: »

Really, it's 'working' exactly the way they designed from everything they've said. There's a slight variation, never more than 200k from posts here, but there's no mismatches across the defense placement brackets. It's objectively working just fine, some people just don't like it. Usually it's the ones at the lower end of the 8 matched players.

I hate ships, but I don't whine when they're added to the arena.. It's been different each time, expect it to vary.

Also, I don't think even the moderators here defend everything they do.. But some ppl like to provide a reasonable counter to all the whining sometimes. No white knights.
  • Just wanted to let the devs know I am throughly not enjoying grand arena at all. Feels more like a chore then fun PvP . I wold prefer it not be on screen at all. Or maybe get something like a daily to participate . Otherwise I feel forced to play in order to keep up with this who participate. :(
  • I'm so confused, i beat first 2 round. Now the third round i am fighting for top spot, but there is no defense set?!?!? How is this possible. Wouldn't it carry over from round 1? If it does how did he win first 2 rounds with no defense? I was 1 daze away from tactical genius quest :(
  • Just wanted to let the devs know I am throughly not enjoying grand arena at all. Feels more like a chore then fun PvP . I wold prefer it not be on screen at all. Or maybe get something like a daily to participate . Otherwise I feel forced to play in order to keep up with this who participate. :(

How's adding it to the daily rewards going to make it more fun for you? I would think thatwould just make you feel more compelled to participate.

But they can't make a game mode that pleases everyone.
  • SiaGolia wrote: »
    I'm so confused, i beat first 2 round. Now the third round i am fighting for top spot, but there is no defense set?!?!? How is this possible. Wouldn't it carry over from round 1? If it does how did he win first 2 rounds with no defense? I was 1 daze away from tactical genius quest :(

I think they removed the auto defense setting at least for now. It was causing a bug.
  • CG can kiss people spending $$ on non meta ships good bye. Having unlocked ships with geared crew (about 50k GP per ship) is crippling in GA. Wish I could decommission some of my useless ships for like half the space bucks or something. Completely messed up. Why the heck are ships counted towards matchup anyway? They only get 1 node in 1 out of 3 maps so far.

Decommissioning for mats is a great idea.
  • I'm having a hard time planning ahead. When I check my opponent's inventory, I see what they currently have, not what they had when player lock happened.

Example: My current opponent has a g12 Bossk with 2 zetas, but I faced a g12 Bossk with no zetas.

Is there a fix for this?
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    I'm having a hard time planning ahead. When I check my opponent's inventory, I see what they currently have, not what they had when player lock happened.

Example: My current opponent has a g12 Bossk with 2 zetas, but I faced a g12 Bossk with no zetas.

Is there a fix for this?

Prepare for the worst, overkill is your friend here
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    I'm having a hard time planning ahead. When I check my opponent's inventory, I see what they currently have, not what they had when player lock happened.

Is there a fix for this?

Until the board is revealed, I don't think there is. This can get even more problematic as a person can feign their mod setups.
  • Darth_GrumpyCat
    34 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Have to agree with those being fed up by the matchmaking. And I don't want to complain about "fairness", it's just plain boring the way it is right now. What I mean by that?
    I started playing in late july 2017, beside some minor orders (e. g. some crystals when there was a sale) I'm f2p. I found a nice guild and imo made ok'ish progress, sitting at 2.64 Mio. GM, hit constant Top 20 in my fleet shard, 14 heroes are at g12, 20 at g11. I start to feel like being somewhat usefull on Hoth battles, scored nr. 1 on hAAT for several times.
    And now let's take a look at the other players I get matched against:
    • always 2-3 with 2x-3x g12's and at least equal g11's = no chance.
    • always 4-5 with barely any g12's and g11's but a ton of g8-9 heroes = free win for me.

Until now, there was exact 1 opponent that had a pretty similar rooster than me resulting in a close and decent match. All others were ultimately boring since they were totally one-sided.
  • I'm having a hard time planning ahead. When I check my opponent's inventory, I see what they currently have, not what they had when player lock happened.

Is there a fix for this?

I'm not sure why your opponent would wait until after player lock to drop 2 zetas on a great defensive team.

But it would be nice if they could make it a snapshot of what it's like at player lock when you view your opponents. But I'm not sure how hard it is to code that so it may be more trouble than it's worth since I'd imagine waiting until after player lock to drop 2 zetas on a key toon would be a somewhat rare event. Sure there will be small improvements as people get new gear but overall it should be less drastic than your example. So they may have decided it wasn't worth the effort for the minor gain.
  • Have to agree with those being fed up by the matchmaking. And I don't want to complain about "fairness", it's just plain boring the way it is right now. What I mean by that?
    I started playing in late july 2017, beside some minor orders (e. g. some crystals when there was a sale) I'm f2p. I found a nice guild and imo made ok'ish progress, sitting at 2.64 Mio. GM, hit constant Top 20 in my fleet shard, 14 heroes are at g12, 20 at g11. I start to feel like being somewhat usefull on Hoth battles, scored nr. 1 on hAAT for several times.
    • always 4-5 with barely any g12's and g11's but a ton of g8-9 heroes = free win for me.

Until now, there was exact 1 opponent that had a pretty similar rooster than me resulting in a close and decent match. All others were ultimately boring since they were totally one-sided.

You can win the battles even if they have more g12 than you. G12 is not the only factor that determines the battle. Putting a strong defensive wall with good mods can eat through enough of their teams so that victory is possible.

I have beaten two opponents that way that had twice or more than I do. So you could look at those matchups as a challenge.

And the ones that have bad rosters, you probably won't face more than once if at all in a 3 round ga. Because they'll likely lose while you win ad be in a different bracket for the 2nd and 3rd fights of the ga. But when you do face them, you can always practice your b teams on offense.

• Have to agree with those being fed up by the matchmaking. And I don't want to complain about "fairness", it's just plain boring the way it is right now. What I mean by that?

You can win the battles even if they have more g12 than you. G12 is not the only factor that determines the battle. Putting a strong defensive wall with good mods can eat through enough of their teams so that victory is possible.

I have beaten two opponents that way that had twice or more than I do. So you could look at those matchups as a challenge.

And the ones that have bad rosters, you probably won't face more than once if at all in a 3 round ga. Because they'll likely lose while you win ad be in a different bracket for the 2nd and 3rd fights of the ga. But when you do face them, you can always practice your b teams on offense.
    Well, ofc it is possible to win against some1 with a significant higher investment in his top squads instead of a broad roster in my GM range... if the guy with the character advantage is plain stupid, has no clue about the game and/or doesn't check my inventory. If he does, he will always be able to setup his own defense in a way that no matter what will inevitably lead to victory.
    Also, it's more likely to get 2 matches against helpless victims and one against one with an uber-roster. Usually it's the first match (free win), second is either vs. another helpless victim that somehow managed a win or against the uber, third match is the other way round. So -with that very single one exception- it's pure boredom for me.

Well, ofc it is possible to win against some1 with a significant higher investment in his top squads instead of a broad roster in my GM range... if the guy with the character advantage is plain stupid, has no clue about the game and/or doesn't check my inventory. If he does, he will always be able to setup his own defense in a way that no matter what will inevitably lead to victory.
    Also, it's more likely to get 2 matches against helpless victims and one against one with an uber-roster. Usually it's the first match (free win), second is either vs. another helpless victim that somehow managed a win or against the uber, third match is the other way round. So -with that very single one exception- it's pure boredom for me.

you'd be surprised how many of those with more g12 make mistakes. So strategy still comes into play.

And yes a skilled player with a better roster against an unskilled one with a crap roster is a slaughter. But how do you propose they factor in player intelligence in to the matchmaking. The win loss factor does that about as well as any factor they could add.

And I still contend that if you try and make the matchmaking more complicated, it'll lead to more problems than it fixes.
  • The matchmaking is a joke. d1ba9lbdxzi7.jpg