Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Monel
    2776 posts Member
    The ship omegas are more rare, personally I am shooting for last place this time lol.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Monel wrote: »
    The ship omegas are more rare, personally I am shooting for last place this time lol.

Everybody gets ship omegas.
  • Liath wrote: »
    ddlooping2 wrote: »
    Hey peeps :)

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, it's a very long thread and search hasn't been much help.

1) new GA : if I don't set Defense teams, will the ones I set during the previous GA be used?
    2) if yes, will the way the characters were modded also be applied or do I have to remod them?

No, it only carries over defense between rounds of the same event.

Thanks @Liath :)
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, it's a very long thread and search hasn't been much help.

1) new GA : if I don't set Defense teams, will the ones I set during the previous GA be used?
    2) if yes, will the way the characters were modded also be applied or do I have to remod them?

I thought they turned the feature off completely..
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »

They turned off the feature that if somebody didn’t set defense in round 1 it would put in their most powerful characters into random teams. I believe that from what others have said it still copies defense from round 1 into 2/3. What ddlooping asked about (copying from the last event) does not happen and has never been a feature.

They turned off the feature that if somebody didn’t set defense in round 1 it would put in their most powerful characters into random teams. I believe that from what others have said it still copies defense from round 1 into 2/3. What ddlooping asked about (copying from the last event) does not happen and has never been a feature.

What about ship GP...did they take it out of the equation?
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Um...no...
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member

Weird, in game it only shows them on the last place reward.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

Weird, in game it only shows them on the last place reward.

They mentioned in one of the dev posts that they can only show a portion of the rewards there, there's always more than what's displayed. I've gotten first each time, there's a few more things they throw in that aren't shown (still not great tho)
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

This one features ships, no reason to take it out. It'll be sometime before 3*3 comes back and we'll see then. I bet it'll happen.
  • No_Try wrote: »

This one features ships, no reason to take it out. It'll be sometime before 3*3 comes back and we'll see then. I bet it'll happen.

That won't help me in this battle...my opponent has 5 awesome zetas...I just got my 2nd this morning and they go in the same squad...I am not giving up...I have always rooted for the underdog...now I am one.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Man this matchmaking is terrible. and now I can't even clutch win because all his best squads will be in the same zone. Impossible to take zones after we easily all one shot a super easy to take ship territory.

I'm glad this GA has the worst rewards so far, much less incentive to put up with this terrible design. GA could have been so cool. I was so hoping it was going to be cool. I was so hoping they would have good matchmaking. I was so hoping for fun battles.

3v3 was awesome fun, learnt so much and played around with as many teams as I could. Then this one? heh.
  • Gorem wrote: »
    Man this matchmaking is terrible. and now I can't even clutch win because all his best squads will be in the same zone. Impossible to take zones after we easily all one shot a super easy to take ship territory.

I'm glad this GA has the worst rewards so far, much less incentive to put up with this terrible design. GA could have been so cool. I was so hoping it was going to be cool. I was so hoping they would have good matchmaking. I was so hoping for fun battles.

3v3 was awesome fun, learnt so much and played around with as many teams as I could. Then this one? heh.

You complain about this one, others complained about last one, still more about the one before. It's different each time, which is pretty great. There's no hiding squads this time, and ships are separate (those with higher ship gp will get an advantage this time).
    I'm pretty satisfied how it balances out, even tho I'll likely lose this time. ships will have their day in the sun
  • I've won all my GA so far that said, the rewards are lacking. This is a week long event. It takes time, planning etc. the prizes awarded don't equate to the time/effort one puts into GA. The next rewards are a step down to the previous rewards for GA. It feels like someone is cheapening GA and it was just released. crystals can be added to the 1st place slot, this would make it really competitive. This is a suggestion and by no means am I telling you what to do, but yeah it would make for awesome fierce competition if crystals were added.
  • Do any of you have any tips on this new 5v5 grand arena? Don't worry, you probably won't be battling me, I am a low Gp new 85 with only 2 zetas that I use on the same squad. I have to set 3 defense squads and 1 Fleet. It is too late to use your tips on my current battle and it is already won by the opponent (if he shows up)...he has 5 Zeta toons at G12. I don't have any G12s. He has at least 3 rows of 7 star big dog toons to my 6 toons which are 7*
    I have been working hard to build my toons and get more 7* toons and also build up their gear level but I am a mostly FTP with 1 splurge day a month (I don't go too crazy though) .
    There might be a couple I could beat...maybe, but my awesome defense strategy from last time went out the window and I am at a loss of what type of strategy to use against these much stronger opponents.
  • ArthurDent wrote: »
    I can be convinced that GP alone is the ideal criteria, but still think some refinement is needed:

1. In the GA we just finished, all three of my opponents had 100-120k more character GP than I had. There was no ship territory, so matchmaking on total GP was a bad deal for me. I still won one round and possibly could've won a second if it weren't Christmas and/or I didn't have a family. People say 100k is only 5 G12, which is only one team, but more likely it's 20 characters going from G10 to G12, which makes a big difference.

2. Ship GP is overvalued, which means small fluctuations in actual ship utility will have an outsized effect on matchmaking. As an example, my Tie Advanced is worth 60k when Vader himself is below 25k. Giving Vader a G12+ piece benefits the toon a lot and the ship very little, but the existence of the ship means that GP is triple-counted (once for Vader, twice for Tie Adv).

3. If an algorithm decided who to match me against using GP, then using GP as a tiebreaker is nonsensical. Least important point, probably rare and not a problem I've faced, but it could've just as easily matched me with somebody 2 points lower vs 2 points higher. If GP is a trustworthy metric of strength then lower GP should win as a reward for efficiency/tactics, but even that sounds like a bad idea.

1. 100k difference could be 20 useless g7 characters as well. So it really depends on your individual rosters. In any event, unless you are a really low gp, it is likely 5% or less of your total gp, so not a huge concern.

2. The best solution would be to include ships more in the future in ga. If ships are included then counting them more is irrelevant since it affects both sides fairly equally. Even so, it appears the mismatchs caused by total gp rather than ship gp are +/- 5% or so of character gp so not a huge issue since with proper strategy a 5% difference in gp can be easily overcome.

3. They had to have something to break ties. And people will complain no matter what they choose. But with banner counts ties will be rare. And I guess the gp rewards the one that upgraded their roster more.
    Re point 2: I agree that the best solution to the ship GP issue is to just include ships in every GA, but the mismatches are much more than +/- 5%. My current matchup is me at 797,243 character GP and 774,353 ship GP vs an opponent with 1,004,140 character GP and 565,945 ship GP. He's got a 29% character GP advantage. 5% is surmountable. 29% isn't.

We have ships this time so it isn't completely against me, but ships only count for so many banners. His best ship team can probably beat my second best. If we put both our best on defense, we both lose and banners are a wash. If I put my second best on defense and he puts his second best on defense, we both win and banners are a wash. If I put my best on defense and he uses his best for offense, maybe they hold on defense (offense has a massive advantage in ships) and maybe my second can beat his second and I come out ahead. If I put my second best on defense and he puts his best on defense, I definitely win on offense and maybe win on defense, which nets me banners. Meanwhile, he's going to wipe my character squads, and even going all in on offense I may not be able to clear his unless he uses really bad team comps, and collectively squads are worth a lot more banners than ships, so I'm going to lose.

tl;dr The char GP imbalance can be a lot more than 5%, and a 50% advantage in ship GP isn't worth nearly as many banners as a 30% advantage in Character GP, so even when ships are in play matching on total GP screws people who skew ships.
  • DRD1812 wrote: »
    ArthurDent wrote: »
    I can be convinced that GP alone is the ideal criteria, but still think some refinement is needed:

1. In the GA we just finished, all three of my opponents had 100-120k more character GP than I had. There was no ship territory, so matchmaking on total GP was a bad deal for me. I still won one round and possibly could've won a second if it weren't Christmas and/or I didn't have a family. People say 100k is only 5 G12, which is only one team, but more likely it's 20 characters going from G10 to G12, which makes a big difference.

2. Ship GP is overvalued, which means small fluctuations in actual ship utility will have an outsized effect on matchmaking. As an example, my Tie Advanced is worth 60k when Vader himself is below 25k. Giving Vader a G12+ piece benefits the toon a lot and the ship very little, but the existence of the ship means that GP is triple-counted (once for Vader, twice for Tie Adv).

3. If an algorithm decided who to match me against using GP, then using GP as a tiebreaker is nonsensical. Least important point, probably rare and not a problem I've faced, but it could've just as easily matched me with somebody 2 points lower vs 2 points higher. If GP is a trustworthy metric of strength then lower GP should win as a reward for efficiency/tactics, but even that sounds like a bad idea.

1. 100k difference could be 20 useless g7 characters as well. So it really depends on your individual rosters. In any event, unless you are a really low gp, it is likely 5% or less of your total gp, so not a huge concern.

2. The best solution would be to include ships more in the future in ga. If ships are included then counting them more is irrelevant since it affects both sides fairly equally. Even so, it appears the mismatchs caused by total gp rather than ship gp are +/- 5% or so of character gp so not a huge issue since with proper strategy a 5% difference in gp can be easily overcome.

3. They had to have something to break ties. And people will complain no matter what they choose. But with banner counts ties will be rare. And I guess the gp rewards the one that upgraded their roster more.
    Re point 2: I agree that the best solution to the ship GP issue is to just include ships in every GA, but the mismatches are much more than +/- 5%. My current matchup is me at 797,243 character GP and 774,353 ship GP vs an opponent with 1,004,140 character GP and 565,945 ship GP. He's got a 29% character GP advantage. 5% is surmountable. 29% isn't.

We have ships this time so it isn't completely against me, but ships only count for so many banners. His best ship team can probably beat my second best. If we put both our best on defense, we both lose and banners are a wash. If I put my second best on defense and he puts his second best on defense, we both win and banners are a wash. If I put my best on defense and he uses his best for offense, maybe they hold on defense (offense has a massive advantage in ships) and maybe my second can beat his second and I come out ahead. If I put my second best on defense and he puts his best on defense, I definitely win on offense and maybe win on defense, which nets me banners. Meanwhile, he's going to wipe my character squads, and even going all in on offense I may not be able to clear his unless he uses really bad team comps, and collectively squads are worth a lot more banners than ships, so I'm going to lose.

tl;dr The char GP imbalance can be a lot more than 5%, and a 50% advantage in ship GP isn't worth nearly as many banners as a 30% advantage in Character GP, so even when ships are in play matching on total GP screws people who skew ships.

To be honest it’s even worse than that. I just did the maths for my gp bracket (5 defense teams). Assuming perfect battles only, if i take ship territory (+66+155= +221) i’m at 550+221=771 banners. If my opponent fails to take my ship territory but takes my squad one it’s 64*5+270 = 590, they will be at 1140. 4 wins in squad net me 256 banners, putting me at 1027. Even with the 5th win i’m at 1091 if you ignore the territory. 1140-1027 = 113, so my opponent can loose over 22 points per battle in average and still win if i don’t take the squad territory.

Basically a perfect win in ships is worthless. If your opponent takes your squad territory you need to take his regardless of what happens in ships.

I love ga, i’ve defended the matchmaking which i think does the job, i think people need to realize they can’t have it all everywhere. And i hate ships and never played it more than what was required of me (unlocking Enfys Nest’s nod drilled a hole in my heart). But this is ridiculous.
  • Can we please be awarded with the battle win credits if your opponent doesn't set a defence? This is the third time I'm facing a no show and it sucks. I'm willing to take the hit on grand arena quests but at the very least we should get the credits.

What if, and this is wishful thinking lol, they had their defense set for them, if they do not show up in the attack phase, the ai doesn't auto run these random teams right?
  • I like it, but it takes too much time. Twenty-four hour preview phase. Twenty-four hour set-up, which takes me less than 5 minutes. Twenty-four hour attack, which takes me about ten minutes....for what? Some mod gear? Speed it up

People play in different parts of the world and different time zones. That’s why they have 24 hour phases and it’s been pointed out countless times in the forums. The rest of the player base doesn’t play the game on your personal schedule.
  • LoreleiPhoenix
    148 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    In my opinion, Zetas play a huge difference in this Arena, especially for us lower 85s...I don't know if it is so for those higher up. Perhaps for us with low GP they could keep the difference between 1 or 2. I have 2 and my opponent has 5 zeta G12 with those beautiful above gold mods...I don't even remember what to call those mods because I don't have any g12, I have a couple g10 and I have only 6 characters at 7*s to his....just about all of his at 7*.
    No idea how this happened.
    On a positive note, I actually won a battle...I believe this means he is going to go all in and pulverize my defense while he is getting a manicure.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Gorem wrote: »

You complain about this one, others complained about last one, still more about the one before. It's different each time, which is pretty great. There's no hiding squads this time, and ships are separate (those with higher ship gp will get an advantage this time).
    I'm pretty satisfied how it balances out, even tho I'll likely lose this time. ships will have their day in the sun

What? Do you not know how individuals work or something? Anyway.

Only having one zone means people of lower GP have 0 chance. You can't beat a whale in this setup. This setup is designed for you to lose against stronger opponents. Both other GA's you could easilly beat stronger players by playing smart and well. This one, you can't. You either get a ship zone you will never take, or a squad area you will never take.

The great thing about the other 2 GA we have had is ONE Squad could not completely and utterly stop you from ever winning. Who cares about "hiding" squads or whatever, this one stops you completely. Again it all depends on matchmaking

Which is still terrible since its still based on GP.
  • MAndrewMX
    101 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I noticed with only 7 squads + 1 fleet, (or less) no room for error. At 7 only with 4.3 mil gp grouping, I'm guessing almost everyone could take out each of the squads in one battle. Yet I barely lost one battle and it was all they needed to win. I like the change ups, so I have an idea for one, so its just an idea but, what if different zones only allowed certain level squad gp's? That way there can be more squads placed on Defense and battles still are relevant even with lower gp and level squads. Idk, that way you're using lower toons and trying to counter with them as well, while getting to mentally figure out what toons to use against squads that you barely ever face; maximizing theory crafting and strategy.
  • I'm curious if they track how you win. For example, the previous GA over Christmas I won my GA because my tree opponents 1) set defense but never attacked me, 2) didn't set a defense or attack me, and 3 set a defense but didn't attack me.

Is there any metric tracking this kind of data? Otherwise matchmaking could get rough. (or lead to players not participating in GA with rewards they don't care for so they get an easier match up when the rewards are better)
  • Director krennic bundle-$14.99; wampa bundle-$19.99; winning ga by one point-priceless