Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Gorem wrote: »
    Gannon wrote: »
    Man this matchmaking is terrible. and now I can't even clutch win because all his best squads will be in the same zone. Impossible to take zones after we easily all one shot a super easy to take ship territory.

I'm glad this GA has the worst rewards so far, much less incentive to put up with this terrible design. GA could have been so cool. I was so hoping it was going to be cool. I was so hoping they would have good matchmaking. I was so hoping for fun battles.

3v3 was awesome fun, learnt so much and played around with as many teams as I could. Then this one? heh.

You complain about this one, others complained about last one, still more about the one before. It's different each time, which is pretty great. There's no hiding squads this time, and ships are separate (those with higher ship gp will get an advantage this time).
    I'm pretty satisfied how it balances out, even tho I'll likely lose this time. ships will have their day in the sun

What? Do you not know how individuals work or something? Anyway.

Only having one zone means people of lower GP have 0 chance. You can't beat a whale in this setup. This setup is designed for you to lose against stronger opponents. Both other GA's you could easilly beat stronger players by playing smart and well. This one, you can't. You either get a ship zone you will never take, or a squad area you will never take.

The great thing about the other 2 GA we have had is ONE Squad could not completely and utterly stop you from ever winning. Who cares about "hiding" squads or whatever, this one stops you completely. Again it all depends on matchmaking

Which is still terrible since its still based on GP.

That was my point there 😂
    This one didn't turn out too bad, since I could see everything right from the start I didn't need to save teams and wonder what was hiding in the back.
    At my level, everyone has every counter, usually, so ppl hide squads like nightsisters with the hope you waste the counter team in the front zone and get stuck on em. This time that couldn't happen.
    I wiped every defense team easily, just going down my preset team list. My opponent made a mistake on one and had to use a second team, so he lost.
  • DRD1812 wrote: »
    ArthurDent wrote: »
    I can be convinced that GP alone is the ideal criteria, but still think some refinement is needed:

1. In the GA we just finished, all three of my opponents had 100-120k more character GP than I had. There was no ship territory, so matchmaking on total GP was a bad deal for me. I still won one round and possibly could've won a second if it weren't Christmas and/or I didn't have a family. People say 100k is only 5 G12, which is only one team, but more likely it's 20 characters going from G10 to G12, which makes a big difference.

2. Ship GP is overvalued, which means small fluctuations in actual ship utility will have an outsized effect on matchmaking. As an example, my Tie Advanced is worth 60k when Vader himself is below 25k. Giving Vader a G12+ piece benefits the toon a lot and the ship very little, but the existence of the ship means that GP is triple-counted (once for Vader, twice for Tie Adv).

3. If an algorithm decided who to match me against using GP, then using GP as a tiebreaker is nonsensical. Least important point, probably rare and not a problem I've faced, but it could've just as easily matched me with somebody 2 points lower vs 2 points higher. If GP is a trustworthy metric of strength then lower GP should win as a reward for efficiency/tactics, but even that sounds like a bad idea.

1. 100k difference could be 20 useless g7 characters as well. So it really depends on your individual rosters. In any event, unless you are a really low gp, it is likely 5% or less of your total gp, so not a huge concern.

2. The best solution would be to include ships more in the future in ga. If ships are included then counting them more is irrelevant since it affects both sides fairly equally. Even so, it appears the mismatchs caused by total gp rather than ship gp are +/- 5% or so of character gp so not a huge issue since with proper strategy a 5% difference in gp can be easily overcome.

3. They had to have something to break ties. And people will complain no matter what they choose. But with banner counts ties will be rare. And I guess the gp rewards the one that upgraded their roster more.
    Re point 2: I agree that the best solution to the ship GP issue is to just include ships in every GA, but the mismatches are much more than +/- 5%. My current matchup is me at 797,243 character GP and 774,353 ship GP vs an opponent with 1,004,140 character GP and 565,945 ship GP. He's got a 29% character GP advantage. 5% is surmountable. 29% isn't.

We have ships this time so it isn't completely against me, but ships only count for so many banners. His best ship team can probably beat my second best. If we put both our best on defense, we both lose and banners are a wash. If I put my second best on defense and he puts his second best on defense, we both win and banners are a wash. If I put my best on defense and he uses his best for offense, maybe they hold on defense (offense has a massive advantage in ships) and maybe my second can beat his second and I come out ahead. If I put my second best on defense and he puts his best on defense, I definitely win on offense and maybe win on defense, which nets me banners. Meanwhile, he's going to wipe my character squads, and even going all in on offense I may not be able to clear his unless he uses really bad team comps, and collectively squads are worth a lot more banners than ships, so I'm going to lose.

tl;dr The char GP imbalance can be a lot more than 5%, and a 50% advantage in ship GP isn't worth nearly as many banners as a 30% advantage in Character GP, so even when ships are in play matching on total GP screws people who skew ships.

It really depends on numerous other factors other than just he has more character gp.

If he has a well built roster, you are probably right and you'll have a loss. But he may also have a crappy roster of a ton of g7 useless characters that can be cleared by one character with 1/4 the gp as the team.

Also, it only takes one good defensive team that he can't beat to keep him from taking that territory. I've seen a bastilla led team with gk and barris hold off 5 or 6 team. So 29% character gp can be overcome with a strong defense.

It's better if you can put strong characters in the front and hide weaker ones but that's not an option this time. I do think the open territory design helps those with the larger roster. But I like the variety.

And wheter you clear his fleet territory while holding yours is up to your strategy. If you have double the ship gp, that shouldn't be all that hard even. But that also depends on how focused your ship roster is and how focused your opponents roster is.

But long term I think the ship and character gp balances out. And if they run one next time that req 4 fleets, it could work in your favor next time. They do seem to be having a variety of modes. Some will favor you and some won't.
  • Do any of you have any tips on this new 5v5 grand arena? Don't worry, you probably won't be battling me, I am a low Gp new 85 with only 2 zetas that I use on the same squad. I have to set 3 defense squads and 1 Fleet. It is too late to use your tips on my current battle and it is already won by the opponent (if he shows up)...he has 5 Zeta toons at G12. I don't have any G12s. He has at least 3 rows of 7 star big dog toons to my 6 toons which are 7*
    I have been working hard to build my toons and get more 7* toons and also build up their gear level but I am a mostly FTP with 1 splurge day a month (I don't go too crazy though) .
    There might be a couple I could beat...maybe, but my awesome defense strategy from last time went out the window and I am at a loss of what type of strategy to use against these much stronger opponents.

Without going too much into detail which I can't since I have no idea what your roster is like, here are a few tips.

Focus on one or two teams at a time for gearing. Preferably start with ones that have uses in many areas. Raids, tw, tb, ga, arena, needed for legendaries. That way you get multiple use out of them.

Some good defensive teams that are good elsewhere are: bossk lead bh, bastilla led jedi with two tanks and a healer (hoda for protection regain is ideal), Phoenix, fo.

On offense: cls, empire, sith, ns, ewoks are all good.

Jtr, traya, and revan are all amazing on both offense and defense. Of those revan is the easiest farm for when he returns so I would be working on his req.

But I'd start with getting a competitive arena team to g12. Then a good defensive team to g12. Then just keep building one or two teams at a time.

Also, mods. If you don't have good mods get them. If you don't know how to mod your teams learn how. Having better mods makes a huge difference.

The last thing is ignore characters that have no use in the game. I still star everyone because you may need them in platoons but if you aren't going to use a character in some aspect of the game, leave them at lvl 1 g1. This avoids unnecessarily inflating your gp and also avoids having to farm gear at low levels for a good character when it comes out because you put them on a character you don't even use.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Another useful tip when it comes to g12s, you can usually get two toons to g11 before you can get one to 12, so choose carefully who gets to 12 first. The biggest difference from 11 to 12 is survivability and armor penetration, so if you g12 the tanks on your teams first, the rest can usually handle full g12 lines with some effort. Then you can focus the dps toon to 12 for the penetration, to make those fights a lil easier.
  • It's disappointing, but not surprising, that you straight **** out the wind from the GA sails with this round's low caliber rewards and composition. Barely cared enough to set a defense, guess i'll be ignoring GA for the next 3 days. Nice job...
    Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...
  • Posting this here, too @Tanzos . Great idea. Breadth versus depth. 100% full roster alternating with just the top of each player’s roster. Those who inflate their GP and grow their low end have a chance to put those resources to good use while penalizing those who hoard resources to stay lean, thus forcing a balance.
    Tanzos wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd like to see 3 Grand Arenas in a row where we have to set 14 defensive squads and 2 ships squads. Then we'll see who has the deeper roster.

Then 3 GA in a row where we set 6 on 6 or whatever like it is now and see who has the better top of their roster. That to me seems fair.

THAT is what should be done. GP matched exactly, but full rosters used sometimes, top end of rosters used the other.

Agreed.

If there is to be no change to the matching process occurring purely on total GP I want some GAs where the advantage doesnt continually sit with those with narrow rosters.
    I can be convinced that GP alone is the ideal criteria, but still think some refinement is needed:

1. In the GA we just finished, all three of my opponents had 100-120k more character GP than I had. There was no ship territory, so matchmaking on total GP was a bad deal for me. I still won one round and possibly could've won a second if it weren't Christmas and/or I didn't have a family. People say 100k is only 5 G12, which is only one team, but more likely it's 20 characters going from G10 to G12, which makes a big difference.

2. Ship GP is overvalued, which means small fluctuations in actual ship utility will have an outsized effect on matchmaking. As an example, my Tie Advanced is worth 60k when Vader himself is below 25k. Giving Vader a G12+ piece benefits the toon a lot and the ship very little, but the existence of the ship means that GP is triple-counted (once for Vader, twice for Tie Adv).

3. If an algorithm decided who to match me against using GP, then using GP as a tiebreaker is nonsensical. Least important point, probably rare and not a problem I've faced, but it could've just as easily matched me with somebody 2 points lower vs 2 points higher. If GP is a trustworthy metric of strength then lower GP should win as a reward for efficiency/tactics, but even that sounds like a bad idea.

1. 100k difference could be 20 useless g7 characters as well. So it really depends on your individual rosters. In any event, unless you are a really low gp, it is likely 5% or less of your total gp, so not a huge concern.

2. The best solution would be to include ships more in the future in ga. If ships are included then counting them more is irrelevant since it affects both sides fairly equally. Even so, it appears the mismatchs caused by total gp rather than ship gp are +/- 5% or so of character gp so not a huge issue since with proper strategy a 5% difference in gp can be easily overcome.

3. They had to have something to break ties. And people will complain no matter what they choose. But with banner counts ties will be rare. And I guess the gp rewards the one that upgraded their roster more.
    Re point 2: I agree that the best solution to the ship GP issue is to just include ships in every GA, but the mismatches are much more than +/- 5%. My current matchup is me at 797,243 character GP and 774,353 ship GP vs an opponent with 1,004,140 character GP and 565,945 ship GP. He's got a 29% character GP advantage. 5% is surmountable. 29% isn't.

We have ships this time so it isn't completely against me, but ships only count for so many banners. His best ship team can probably beat my second best. If we put both our best on defense, we both lose and banners are a wash. If I put my second best on defense and he puts his second best on defense, we both win and banners are a wash. If I put my best on defense and he uses his best for offense, maybe they hold on defense (offense has a massive advantage in ships) and maybe my second can beat his second and I come out ahead. If I put my second best on defense and he puts his best on defense, I definitely win on offense and maybe win on defense, which nets me banners. Meanwhile, he's going to wipe my character squads, and even going all in on offense I may not be able to clear his unless he uses really bad team comps, and collectively squads are worth a lot more banners than ships, so I'm going to lose.

tl;dr The char GP imbalance can be a lot more than 5%, and a 50% advantage in ship GP isn't worth nearly as many banners as a 30% advantage in Character GP, so even when ships are in play matching on total GP screws people who skew ships.

It really depends on numerous other factors other than just he has more character gp.

If he has a well built roster, you are probably right and you'll have a loss. But he may also have a crappy roster of a ton of g7 useless characters that can be cleared by one character with 1/4 the gp as the team.

Also, it only takes one good defensive team that he can't beat to keep him from taking that territory. I've seen a bastilla led team with gk and barris hold off 5 or 6 team. So 29% character gp can be overcome with a strong defense.

It's better if you can put strong characters in the front and hide weaker ones but that's not an option this time. I do think the open territory design helps those with the larger roster. But I like the variety.

And wheter you clear his fleet territory while holding yours is up to your strategy. If you have double the ship gp, that shouldn't be all that hard even. But that also depends on how focused your ship roster is and how focused your opponents roster is.

But long term I think the ship and character gp balances out. And if they run one next time that req 4 fleets, it could work in your favor next time. They do seem to be having a variety of modes. Some will favor you and some won't.

Not down at this GP tier. You need 10 teams at 1.5m GP. 1M CGP is ~10 G12 teams. 800k GP isn't. More to the point, down here you're still gearing sub-standard toons to unlock legendaries and heroes so there's a flat amount of waste GP everyone has which is a large proportion of a 800k CGP roster. Plus, with a fleet focus a significant proportion of your CGP is invested in pilots, many of which are not so good in squads. Unless your opponent is intentionally avoiding good squads and ships and only investing in outright bad characters, you're not going to win. Oh well, at least my next matchup is only 950k CGP vs my 800k, so that's... still probably not winnable.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    DRD1812 wrote: »

Not down at this GP tier. You need 10 teams at 1.5m GP. 1M CGP is ~10 G12 teams. 800k GP isn't. More to the point, down here you're still gearing sub-standard toons to unlock legendaries and heroes so there's a flat amount of waste GP everyone has which is a large proportion of a 800k CGP roster. Plus, with a fleet focus a significant proportion of your CGP is invested in pilots, many of which are not so good in squads. Unless your opponent is intentionally avoiding good squads and ships and only investing in outright bad characters, you're not going to win. Oh well, at least my next matchup is only 950k CGP vs my 800k, so that's... still probably not winnable.

I dunno about you, but I use most of those event required toons in GA, even at my level. And most of the pilots can be useful.
    Really tho, it's all about using what you have to its best potential. Doesn't mean you can only use g12s and fully maxed everything. you can beat most g12 teams with 1 g12 and a few g11s, even some g7s or g8s mixed in.

Everyone at your gp is in essentially the same boat as you. It's not like 100% of their roster is all g12 and yours is all g8 because you geared teams for legendaries. They probably have mostly g8 and g9 at that level as well. And with proper team selection you can beat g9 teams with g8 teams.

And many of the best pilots that you focus on early are decent elsewhere. Vader, tarkin, tfp, fett, and biggs all work well in ga teams. The Phoenix pilots work well as well. Fives works decent with his counter and tankiness for clean up. Bossk is good.

I have a fleet that takes first in fleet daily in a late game with those pilots that are also good in other areas. So if you farmed crap pilots that's on you. But there are plenty of pilots that can serve double duty.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member

Exactly, at my GP tier The teams that I go up against are so sporadic. (never listen to Darkhelmet or Gannon apparently, I already have started to skip reading everything they write). Farmed up the vets, completely useless to me right now and add points to GP which makes winning GA harder. Unless you put all your G12 focus entirely on squads at my GP bracket you will lose. I've gone up against people with 0 G12 against my 27. Less zetas too. At the same time i've seen people with more zeta's then me but still only like 2 G12.

I've won every single one of my GA's so far. And I'd only say 2 of them have been actual good fights amongst even players who actually stood a chance against each other and it came down to skill.

the fact that it doesn't matter what you have unlocked, the fact that its based on total GP even when ships are not included, is messing the entire system up. Even now we still only have to place one ship squad on defence and save one to attack. Meaning that the more you focus on ships, the harder GA is to win for you.

The entire GA system is designed around you having a small roster of only top tier toons and you'd win 100% of the time against everyone.

Every single one of your seven starred toons that are lvl 1 for TB or higher TW rewards makes GA harder for you to win 100% of the time.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Just dropping in to say my point in not moving up to 4M gp quarters based on needing an extra team was mute...based on crowd behavior and economics that brings.

Until this GA I met with extremely challenging opponents each round, sometimes quite a lot exceeding my roster. Obviously these players were also sandbagging to keep right behind the 4M curtain. Now I moved up just to see what's happening. And for the last 2 matches I've been drawing oppenents who either didn't care or couldn't be bothered to stay under 4M. Now these are matches to my distinct advantage this time and are over before it begins.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

(never listen to Darkhelmet or Gannon apparently, I already have started to skip reading everything they write)..

Dunno why, we tend to post mostly unopinionated advice with examples. Not like we're bashing your opinions or anything.

Most of us here have similar experience, so if it's not us, someone else will likely tell you the same things..
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

(never listen to Darkhelmet or Gannon apparently, I already have started to skip reading everything they write)..

Dunno why, we tend to post mostly unopinionated advice with examples. Not like we're bashing your opinions or anything.

Most of us here have similar experience, so if it's not us, someone else will likely tell you the same things..

People pout when they are wrong or someone dares to disagree with them.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • So am I the only one with characters ate 250/65 shards to prevent my GP from going up? Most of my revan required characters are like this (except bastilla) and a bunch of misc farms are not getting stared up until I need them.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    I have IG86 at 650/85.

Nothing to do with GA, I just want to see if I can break the shard counter.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    TaviRus wrote: »
    So am I the only one with characters ate 250/65 shards to prevent my GP from going up? Most of my revan required characters are like this (except bastilla) and a bunch of misc farms are not getting stared up until I need them.

You're not the only one, you're not even a minority. This is the new mindset everyone who wants to be competetive is slowly adopting.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    So am I the only one with characters ate 250/65 shards to prevent my GP from going up? Most of my revan required characters are like this (except bastilla) and a bunch of misc farms are not getting stared up until I need them.

You're not the only one, you're not even a minority. This is the new mindset everyone who wants to be competetive is slowly adopting.

This. Even long before TW and GA, many of us just didn't see a use for certain toons, so they sat untouched.
    It's only since those events (ga mostly) that ppl label it "sandbagging" and try to paint ppl as the bad guys for not working on broken and useless toons
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

This. Even long before TW and GA, many of us just didn't see a use for certain toons, so they sat untouched.
    It's only since those events (ga mostly) that ppl label it "sandbagging" and try to paint ppl as the bad guys for not working on broken and useless toons

I don't see that happening. Can you quote a post painting ppl as the bad guys for not working on toons they don't like? Maybe a few reactionaries do out of jealousy for the comparative position they are in.

This is a game design problem that can be only solved by the designers who are also solely responsible for not thinking it throughly. It also solidifies a new eco-system in the process and like all retroactive changes that happened in the past it will be increasingly difficult and hurtful to the community to come back from.

While I don't like to bring up the zombie change post as it easily devolves into polemics since the context is very different, there a lead designer states a core tenet of the game which should stand across all future and past content design. I doubt anyone would disagree that's a good pillar either.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

I don't see that happening. Can you quote a post painting ppl as the bad guys for not working on toons they don't like? Maybe a few reactionaries do out of jealousy for the comparative position they are in.

This is a game design problem that can be only solved by the designers who are also solely responsible for not thinking it throughly. It also solidifies a new eco-system in the process and like all retroactive changes that happened in the past it will be increasingly difficult and hurtful to the community to come back from.

While I don't like to bring up the zombie change post as it easily devolves into polemics since the context is very different, there a lead designer states a core tenet of the game which should stand across all future and past content design. I doubt anyone would disagree that's a good pillar either.

I've had quite a few throw that label at me so far for not 'investing' in ships, a mode I despise, during the two years before GA appeared. Guess they assume I could see the future, and planed maliciously all along to troll them now. Lol
    (i went back to find some of the posts, but it's been a few weeks, so I gave up)
    But yea, there's posts scattered around, less frequent now tho I think.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

I've had quite a few throw that label at me so far for not 'investing' in ships, a mode I despise, during the two years before GA appeared. Guess they assume I could see the future, and planed maliciously all along to troll them now. Lol
    (i went back to find some of the posts, but it's been a few weeks, so I gave up)

Were u still taking first in ships tho???? Cause i’ll take the 240,000 crystals i got since inception over the extra15 stun guns salvage and a few zeta salvage ur getting on me from GA...

If u were still taking top spots in ships then sir u got the best of both of it gratz...

My hatred of GA come more from the ignoring of ships than the GA mode itself.... all this time still only 35 ish ships no raids one new capital in 2 yrs...

It is what it is.... people who like GA i truly am happy they are happy.... glad your having fun.... now i wish they do something fun with ships (raid ABattles etc)
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »

Were u still taking first in ships tho???? Cause i’ll take the 240,000 crystals i got since inception over the extra15 stun guns salvage and a few zeta salvage ur getting on me from GA...

If u were still taking top spots in ships then sir u got the best of both of it gratz...

My hatred of GA come more from the ignoring of ships than the GA mode itself.... all this time still only 35 ish ships no raids one new capital in 2 yrs...

It is what it is.... people who like GA i truly am happy they are happy.... glad your having fun.... now i wish they do something fun with ships (raid ABattles etc)

I've never taken first in ships, but always stay around 90 with just the one required daily battle. (which I'm super happy with, considering they're all still 5* v 7* maxed everything opponents)
    But half of my friends are stuck with lower arena standings, despite having higher investments, plus the disadvantages of the gp matchmaking that includes ship investment.
    I don't think anyone is truly happy with GA, but some of us enjoy certain parts of it.
    I liked the 3v3 competent, for example, but it should've matched based on toon gp exclusively since no ships nodes were included.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »

This round with it's general lack of strategy can be solely won on ships. I put my half built endurance and again half built line-up on defense. Well it got me an automatical win before I even touched their squads. He crashed on the fleet hard, I wiped his, game over.
  • Having 2 opponents in a row that have 20, and 23 more zetas than you is utterly impossible to beat. This GP problem really needs addressing.
  • My opponent did not set a defense, does this mean I win by default?
    Even if I do, I feel a bit let down because while I was the underdog, I took quite a bit of time strategizing and brainstorming and was looking forward to see if my new strategy would work....
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    My opponent did not set a defense, does this mean I win by default?
    Even if I do, I feel a bit let down because while I was the underdog, I took quite a bit of time strategizing and brainstorming and was looking forward to see if my new strategy would work....

Yea, defense banners are way higher than offense, you'll win.
    But yes, they really need to fix the auto deploy feature, or punish ppl somehow for joining and not placing defense. Matchmaking aside, That's just intentionally ruining the game for others.
  • We need to move this back to 3v3. The rewards were nice and it was actually fun to do. Having it be 6 squads of 5v5 I'd rather we just have to do a Territory War instead. At least then it's not just myself going against 3 whales.
    #ReworkCaptialGamesPeopleSkills #StopIgnoringUsCG #CGCustomerSkillsWeakerThanAnakinsPowerAgainstTheHighGround
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    The number of squads has nothing to do with matchmaking.
  • My opponent didn’t set any defence, I thought they would set it automatically if they didn’t?
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    My opponent didn’t set any defence, I thought they would set it automatically if they didn’t?
    Feature was bugged and was taken out (didn't show correct Power or zeta of the defense team)