Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• This could be a great mode and it sounds nice. But can we rewards fitting for our gp. Not in terms of quantity but in quality. It would be slightly unfair if our rewards were crates containing cup or ig 86. Would be cool if we had exclusives like how wampa and hermit are exclusive in guild events. We could have starkiller or a new character as an exclusive. That would be amazing. Of course if we had a seperate store we also need a new currency, so we could have grand currency. Overall it is an amazing idea, and I have been looking forward to a new mode lately
  • My only concern with the concept is that there are people that started playing the game a with a lot more organization than myself, or focus than myself and will have my same GP (2.2 million) but have less characters, but have more at gear 12 than myself. Imagine if they only farmed 40-45 characters in the game and have them all at gear 10-12. I wouldn't be able to compete even though they would be on the same GP ranking as myself because I have a lot of low level, low gear, but high star level characters because I have farmed almost all of the characters from stores to 7*, even though I don't use them.
  • mesa176750 wrote: »
    My only concern with the concept is that there are people that started playing the game a with a lot more organization than myself, or focus than myself and will have my same GP (2.2 million) but have less characters, but have more at gear 12 than myself. Imagine if they only farmed 40-45 characters in the game and have them all at gear 10-12. I wouldn't be able to compete even though they would be on the same GP ranking as myself because I have a lot of low level, low gear, but high star level characters because I have farmed almost all of the characters from stores to 7*, even though I don't use them.

7 star g1 characters don't add that much gp. Maybe a 1000 each. So you can have 25 characters sitting at g1 and only have that be the equivalent of one g12 character. So I don't see it making a lot of difference.

And there will likely be a floor similar to gw to use a character. In gw it's 6000 gp so your g1 7 stars wouldn't count. They could even set it higher to keep waste out of the equation. I'd be good with only using characters above 12000 gp. All the ones I have below that are dead weight anyway.
  • Echoing some other concerns about time needed. If this game mode is coming in -- other battles that we've had three-starred and have beaten over 10 times at 3 stars should all be simmable.

That allows anyone wanting to play to do so - but if it's a time-crunch kind of day we have more sim options to play the new mode.

Thank you.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • I really want to like this, but players like me are going to get slaughtered. I have a solid GP, 3.5, because I have everything (minus Revan and Traya [shes close, finally]) at L85 and at least G7, with many 7* toons. Collectors mindset. I really hope GP isn’t the only input into matchmaking. Fewer toons at g12+ w/ L6 mods at the same GP will run my table.

So you should get to face players with less gp because you chose to collect instead of building a competitive roster?

I'm sure that is completely fair for those with lower gp to have to compete with you rather than those with similar gp. But in all seriousness, everyone has some fat in their rosters and even if it's straight gp deciding things, I doubt you'd lose every battle. But to an extent, if your roster has less gear 12 characters because you collected instead, you deserve to lose to those that spent their resources towards a pvp roster.

Most ppl agree GP is a terrible rating, be it for a player, a squad, guild, etc... So yeah, to be fair it may be more even for players of different GP to face each other.
    My only concern with the concept is that there are people that started playing the game a with a lot more organization than myself, or focus than myself and will have my same GP (2.2 million) but have less characters, but have more at gear 12 than myself. Imagine if they only farmed 40-45 characters in the game and have them all at gear 10-12. I wouldn't be able to compete even though they would be on the same GP ranking as myself because I have a lot of low level, low gear, but high star level characters because I have farmed almost all of the characters from stores to 7*, even though I don't use them.

7 star g1 characters don't add that much gp. Maybe a 1000 each. So you can have 25 characters sitting at g1 and only have that be the equivalent of one g12 character. So I don't see it making a lot of difference.

And there will likely be a floor similar to gw to use a character. In gw it's 6000 gp so your g1 7 stars wouldn't count. They could even set it higher to keep waste out of the equation. I'd be good with only using characters above 12000 gp. All the ones I have below that are dead weight anyway.

I definitely agree with using a higher floor of 12,000 gp. I have a lot of characters I don't want held against me in matchmaking that I only 7* for TB.
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    I really want to like this, but players like me are going to get slaughtered. I have a solid GP, 3.5, because I have everything (minus Revan and Traya [shes close, finally]) at L85 and at least G7, with many 7* toons. Collectors mindset. I really hope GP isn’t the only input into matchmaking. Fewer toons at g12+ w/ L6 mods at the same GP will run my table.

So you should get to face players with less gp because you chose to collect instead of building a competitive roster?

I'm sure that is completely fair for those with lower gp to have to compete with you rather than those with similar gp. But in all seriousness, everyone has some fat in their rosters and even if it's straight gp deciding things, I doubt you'd lose every battle. But to an extent, if your roster has less gear 12 characters because you collected instead, you deserve to lose to those that spent their resources towards a pvp roster.

Most ppl agree GP is a terrible rating, be it for a player, a squad, guild, etc... So yeah, to be fair it may be more even for players of different GP to face each other.

Gp may not be good for deciding individual teams and what one will or will not beat the other. That is what people argue. But it does measure how many resources you put into the game and how developed your roster is. Most g12 characters add about 22k and a bit more for the better ones. Lesser geared characters add less.

Now there are some that say it should be based off whether that person has revan or traya but that would require them to change the algorithm every new meta character.

Time in game is a bit more fair but we already have that in arena and people complain. There is no measurement that will ensure an even match up everytime so gp is probably the best measure to use. It's not overly complex so it shouldn't be too buggy. If they start adding variables, it likelyjust will cause unintended issues.

Sorry your roster isn't geared toward pvp but why should i face someone with twice as many teams as I have just because i focused on gear. The only way that would even be possible is if you can reuse teams on offense. Otherwise if you placed 20 teams because you have 40 and I placed 15 because i have 30 I'd have no chance because of lack of teams. That is less likely to happen if the players have similar gp. Another solution is to just only allow the top 6 teams. 3 on defense 3 on offense.

But we'll have to see how they do it. Can't complain until you know how it works
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    RawdSW wrote: »
    My only issue with this is the time commitment. Between TBs, TWs, STR, both arenas and multiple events, SWGOH requires more and more play time to stay competitive. I was really hoping to see some serious QoL improvements instead of this.

Here I am spending like 3hours a day in the game and I'm thinking, You know what I want, to spend more time in game, lol.

Man this mobile game is really a time sink these days, I really hope they don't make this take too long each day. Be interesting when we actually get more info, like on rewards, or how its actually being implemented, or how often it will happen.

Happens too often this will suck, free rewards or no, losing on purpose will put you behind everyone in your arena really quick.

Please let this not be another ships 2.0 or sith raid release type release :)
  • Gross. Not excited for this at all.
  • @DarkHelmet1138 I really like your idea of raising the bar for what is counted for matchmaking and what could be used. I mean, it is high for lower players maybe, but for me I'd get to have 12 teams at 12k individual power or higher, and if I went up against someone that either had that many or less but better geared teams I would be satisfied. We should theoretically be around the same level at that point.
    @DarkHelmet1138 I really like your idea of raising the bar for what is counted for matchmaking and what could be used. I mean, it is high for lower players maybe, but for me I'd get to have 12 teams at 12k individual power or higher, and if I went up against someone that either had that many or less but better geared teams I would be satisfied. We should theoretically be around the same level at that point.

Yeah the only downside is that low level players might not have the roster to use but it could unlock when you have at least 10 characters at 12k (or 15k or whatever floor they set).

New players have gw as a time sink anyway so makes sense to be geared towards late game players that have the rest of the game on farm.
    @DarkHelmet1138 I really like your idea of raising the bar for what is counted for matchmaking and what could be used. I mean, it is high for lower players maybe, but for me I'd get to have 12 teams at 12k individual power or higher, and if I went up against someone that either had that many or less but better geared teams I would be satisfied. We should theoretically be around the same level at that point.

Yeah the only downside is that low level players might not have the roster to use but it could unlock when you have at least 10 characters at 12k (or 15k or whatever floor they set).

New players have gw as a time sink anyway so makes sense to be geared towards late game players that have the rest of the game on farm.

Maybe have a series of cut offs for different tiers of GP, like if you have less than 1 million you get the 6k cut off, 1-1.5 million you get 8k, 1.5-2 million you get 10k cut off, 2-2.5 million you get 12k cut off, etc.
    mesa176750 wrote: »

Maybe have a series of cut offs for different tiers of GP, like if you have less than 1 million you get the 6k cut off, 1-1.5 million you get 8k, 1.5-2 million you get 10k cut off, 2-2.5 million you get 12k cut off, etc.

Any of those would work. I'd think prize tiers would be a good thing too to encourage people to build teams still and not just sit in one low gp tier and rule. Kinda like tw does.
  • This seems great and I’m looking forward to this, my guild as a whole is at times a disappointment in TW. I do hope the matching set up is balanced as possible however or else it could be a big let down. My questions are will this be a new currency? Shards? I need more on the rewards to get me really excited...
  • Roahn
    231 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    So just how much time do you think we have on our hands to play this game? [It's bad enough TW takes a whole week and now you want to create a mini TW in PVP. Now the question is will the normal TW still be active or is this replacing it. If replacing then this could be interesting. For me I think each round should be a different map and npc's as well. So maybe the Hoth battle as it is now then a battle for Endor and a battle on Geonosis. Just to keep it different for each player and maybe give players an advantage as not everyone has the same toons or geared on their rosters.] Senior moment peeps confused TW and TB. Although this now makes me think could we have random maps for each mode of the mini TW. Also how long would each phase be in the mini TW?
    Post edited by Roahn on
  • Roahn wrote: »
    So just how much time do you think we have on our hands to play this game? It's bad enough TW takes a whole week and now you want to create a mini TW in PVP. Now the question is will the normal TW still be active or is this replacing it. If replacing then this could be interesting. For me I think each round should be a different map and npc's as well. So maybe the Hoth battle as it is now then a battle for Endor and a battle on Geonosis. Just to keep it different for each player and maybe give players an advantage as not everyone has the same toons or geared on their rosters.

I think you are confusing TW and TB...
  • Ugnaught wrote: »
    Roahn wrote: »
    So just how much time do you think we have on our hands to play this game? It's bad enough TW takes a whole week and now you want to create a mini TW in PVP. Now the question is will the normal TW still be active or is this replacing it. If replacing then this could be interesting. For me I think each round should be a different map and npc's as well. So maybe the Hoth battle as it is now then a battle for Endor and a battle on Geonosis. Just to keep it different for each player and maybe give players an advantage as not everyone has the same toons or geared on their rosters.

I think you are confusing TW and TB...

Ahh, you are correct thank you for pointing that out.
  • Which galactic power do you mean ? Only those for characters or do you also include ships in Grand Arena ? If yes, is the galactic power weighting in compare to the usage of ships, characters in Grand Arena ? The update sounds really awesome !!
  • I have to reserve my opinion on the matching until I see it. As @Kyno stated in another thread, the newer coding may prove to be easier 1:1 instead of matching a whole guild:guild.
  • Roahn wrote: »
    So just how much time do you think we have on our hands to play this game? [It's bad enough TW takes a whole week and now you want to create a mini TW in PVP. Now the question is will the normal TW still be active or is this replacing it. If replacing then this could be interesting. For me I think each round should be a different map and npc's as well. So maybe the Hoth battle as it is now then a battle for Endor and a battle on Geonosis. Just to keep it different for each player and maybe give players an advantage as not everyone has the same toons or geared on their rosters.] Senior moment peeps confused TW and TB. Although this now makes me think could we have random maps for each mode of the mini TW. Also how long would each phase be in the mini TW?

TB runs for a week but that's irrelevant to how much time it takes. Each stage has a few battles that take 15 min a day total. And on the first couple of days most guilds end up 3 staring everything with half the guild. So tgat leaves only the guild event currency battle which take 2 min maybe.

Once you have teams developed, you can easily auto the battles too. So it's not that much of a time sink.
  • Sounds cool, just hope some awesome prize drops accompany place winners.
  • Welcome to the Grand Arena
    Come on in and see what's happening
    Pay the price, get your tickets for the show

The stage is set, the band starts playing
    Suddenly your heart is pounding
    Wishing secretly you were a star

But don't be fooled by the hype before
    In videos or the magazines
    They show you photographs of how your squad should be
    But they're just someone else's fantasy

So if you think your life is complete confusion
    Because you never win the game
    Just remember that it's a Grand illusion
    And deep inside we're all the same
    We're all the same...

• If ships are in Grand Arena.....grrr. Whoever has 7* HT with 7* BH ships is gonna win.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Strubz wrote: »
    If ships are in Grand Arena.....grrr. Whoever has 7* HT with 7* BH ships is gonna win.

QFT
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    I have no expectations of ever winning. Depending on matchup i might just forfeit.

That said if matchmaking is not ridiculously nuts. It does sound like it could be a lot of fun.

My only thing is that if it IS fun i hope it runs more than oncce a month
  • So, do we really expect CG to actually do anything with this feedback to make the game better? Seriously, consider all the options they could have gone with for new game content/modes that players ALREADY gave them feedback on, and they want feedback on...this?

In all seriousness though, Grand Arena just sounds like another tedious PVP time sink. I'm almost positive that the rewards structure will be inherently flawed and counter to any stated goals CG provides. I'm also almost as certain that matchmaking will need to include such a wide variation in GP to get 8 "similar" people together that the matches will likely be forgone conclusions.

Sounds like a complete farce, that I'm sure CG will find a way to increase the gap between haves and have-nots through flawed illogical rewards for "performance". See also: STR and TW.
  • I'm not very excited about the prospect of another arena. But if it's a periodically scheduled event like TW and not another daily thing to do, and the rewards are still good regardless of how you finish (1-8), then I think it'd be worth playing. Withholding full judgment until I see some gameplay.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • GP should not determine rankings in "Grand Arena". There are whales with complete collections going against dedicated players who focus on specific teams. $$$ talks, should be who is richest player in SWGOH
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

This sounds like a decent idea. I'm at 3.9M, but that's only because at the time TB is released more GP was a pure advantage which made level 85, fully mod and at least g7-8 everything. Now that's gonna bite me back. I consider making a paramete advantegous at first and disadvantegous later on for a different reason a bad design.

However if this is the CG I know, they won't go for nuance and make it just a simple match between full GP like they announced. This will make me go cry in the corner, because I'm just a veteran f2p with a bloated gp.
  • CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    This sounds really awesome. For anyone that likes TW this is exciting. @CG_SBCrumb any more info on potential prizes?
    Not yet but there will definitely be something cool for players in Grand Arena
    FolsomTony wrote: »
    I hope the player matching algorithm is better than the guild TW algorithm.
    We have been working on this exact issue. It will be very important for matchmaker to feel even and fair for this mode.
    Also TW's algorithm is being reexamined as well.

I’m fine with some adjustments but when you get to the top 5 of the game it gets old facing the same guilds too. Guilds underneath us in GP complain about facing us but we hardly get them anyway. I hope we have more opponents to face besides the top 10 ALL the time. @CG_SBCrumb