Boba Fett's defense penetration

BFs payout says he gets bonus defense penetration equal to 200% of his defense penetration.... Which is zero. I have him maxed on gear. Is this meant to read as armor penetration, which is 203? That would make much more sense. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Replies

• Options
    BFs payout says he gets bonus defense penetration equal to 200% of his defense penetration.... Which is zero. I have him maxed on gear. Is this meant to read as armor penetration, which is 203? That would make much more sense. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Defense is a catch-all term for Armor and Resistance. So if something boosts your Defense Penetration, it means that it equally boosts both Armor Penetration and Resistance Penetration.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    as stated above defense is armor/resistance
    There is no charater stat for defense penetration. the stat to look at depends on what type of damage the character deals.
    in the case of Boba Fett, currently he only deals physical damage so the only one that matters for him is armor penetration which is not 0
  • Options
    juvjqtgnsqdn.png
    Looks like defense penetration and armor penetration to me
  • Options
    juvjqtgnsqdn.png

Neat, I never noticed that. But the answer is still the same. If there was a way to raise Defense Penetration through gear or mods, it would show up there on the character screen.

Just like how there’s no Defense stat at all, but mods that increase Defense will increase Armor and Resistance.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    juvjqtgnsqdn.png

That must be something new with a recent update.
    as you see below it does nothing to that stat

Qo3nQI7.jpg

my guess is they are trying to get away from modding both stats with Uniques and buffs so building in another way to that
  • Options
    @scuba cool thanks for the clarification. See where I was getting mixed up? Was rather confusing. Cheers.
  • Options
    @CG_SBCrumb could this be a typo?
  • Options
    @NicWester thanks for the reply as well
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Boba gets Defense Pen at G12 I thought.... And yet, I can't find it.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Options
    @UnbelieverInME he gets armor penetration. The stats I show above are from a maxed gear BF
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    scuba cool thanks for the clarification. See where I was getting mixed up? Was rather confusing. Cheers.

No problem
    CG_SBCrumb could this be a typo?
    it is not a typo really since that have always set it that way, same as robot dog. easier to say defense penetration in case they change things in the future
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Boba gets Defense Pen at G12 I thought.... And yet, I can't find it.

He get armor penetration
    no gear gives offense, defense, defense penetration
    they give
    physical damage, special damage, armor, resistance, armor penetration, resistance penetration

most likely the new stat is so they can do things in the background easier.
  • Options
    So, if Armor Pen is based off Defense Pen, and your defense Pen of 0 gets doubled to 0, your Armor Pen is still based off your doubled 0...which is 0.... right? So it still doesn't actually ADD anything.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    So, if Armor Pen is based off Defense Pen, and your defense Pen of 0 gets doubled to 0, your Armor Pen is still based off your doubled 0...which is 0.... right? So it still doesn't actually ADD anything.

Armor penetration is its own stat

basically ignore that defense penetration stat completely.

don't make it harder than it is.

physical damage is mitigated by armor
    special damage is mitigated by resistance
    armor penetration ignores some armor
    resistance penetration ignores some resistance

if you are hell bent at looking at that defense penetration stat look at it this way

final armor/resistance penetration = base armor/resistance penetration + (base armor/resistance penetration x defense penetration%)

same way offense up works

final physical/special damage = base physical/special damage + (base physical/special damage x offense up%)
  • Options
    ??

208 = 208 + (208 x 0)
    208 = 208 + 0

What am I missing? Has it been that long that I've forgotten some basic math somewhere?
  • Options
    I mean, if they're just buffing Armor Pen and Physical Pen independently then it should say so. The way it's written there is no reason to think there's any benefit. It says nothing about Armor Pen or Physical Pen.. Even though they're derivative, they're obtained by multiplying a 0 according to it's own description. The wording is... misleading at best.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    ??

208 = 208 + (208 x 0)
    208 = 208 + 0

What am I missing? Has it been that long that I've forgotten some basic math somewhere?

So with the payout

If you see the mechanics shot I posted above it does nothing with the defense penetration stat it modifies armor/resistance penetration

208 + (208 x 200%) = 624

that is why I am trying to tell you to ignore the defense penetration stat in character screen. it means nothing
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    juvjqtgnsqdn.png

Qo3nQI7.jpg

my guess is they are trying to get away from modding both stats with Uniques and buffs so building in another way to that
    My guess would be that in order to invlude a Defense Penetration unique, they had to add that stat to the game.
    The way bonus percentages is calculated is additive. So +200% doesn’t mean triple the base value, it means you add 200% to whatever the base value is. So 0+200% = 200%. That’s then applied independently to Armor Penetration and Resistance Penetration and Bob’s your uncle!

The rule of thumb is that if something is expressed as an integer (as Armor Penetration or Physical Attack are, for instance) then a % increase is multiplicative. If something is expressed as a percentage, then a % increase is additive. And if you think that’s weird..... YOU’RE RIGHT! It IS! But it works, and that’s how they’ve balanced abilities and stuff, so it’s alright!
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    juvjqtgnsqdn.png

Qo3nQI7.jpg

My guess would be that in order to invlude a Defense Penetration unique, they had to add that stat to the game.
    The way bonus percentages is calculated is additive. So +200% doesn’t mean triple the base value, it means you add 200% to whatever the base value is. So 0+200% = 200%. That’s then applied independently to Armor Penetration and Resistance Penetration and Bob’s your uncle!

The rule of thumb is that if something is expressed as an integer (as Armor Penetration or Physical Attack are, for instance) then a % increase is multiplicative. If something is expressed as a percentage, then a % increase is additive. And if you think that’s weird..... YOU’RE RIGHT! It IS! But it works, and that’s how they’ve balanced abilities and stuff, so it’s alright!

until you see the way armor and resistance are shown in game then it all gets confusing
  • Options
    So, practically, does anyone actually know if it work? I honestly can't tell a difference in his damage, and with offense up from Bossk or Embo it gets even more muddled. I honestly just dont notice a difference in his damage.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    juvjqtgnsqdn.png

Qo3nQI7.jpg

I really don't think it was needed for the defense penetration unique as defense penetration was around as a buff way back in the days of phasma Orginal release (advantage was originally boosted defense penetration), and it is not used in the 2 (I think only 2) Uniques that give boosted defense penetration.

I think they are trying to change the way they are doing things with stat mods.
    I don't remember which character or ship it was but instead of it showing it changing each physical/special stat separately they had it change it as one entry
    so instead of a query to modify physical crit chance and special crit chance it just modified crit chance.

So my guess is there is now a hidden %stats for offense, defense that are 0% just like the now showing defense penetration stat.
    then the stats could always just be
    physical/special base stat + (physical/special base stat x %modifier)
    and then Uniques and buffs just add the modifier to the 0% stat.
    so with 50% offense the %modifier becomes 50%
    offense up and offense down modifier goes back to 0%
    can cause less error in programming as it seems to be one of the things they used to miss a lot was modifying the other stat.
  • Options
    So to me it sounds like the "defense penetration" stat is a catch-all for armor and resistance penetrations.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    So to me it sounds like the "defense penetration" stat is a catch-all for armor and resistance penetrations.

Yes. like offense is catch all for physical/special damage, defense is catch all for armor/resistance.

how to look at the defense penetration stat showing in charater stat screen, is it is a modifier for armor/resistance penetration stat. 0% means it adds no additional armor/resistance penetration or they are at base stats.
  • crzydroid
    7298 posts Moderator
    Options
    So someone started a similar thread a month or two ago. The "defense penetration" percent stat under "General" is 0 for every character in the game. So as scuba said, I think it is some new thing they were playing around with.

Also in the other thread, I tested Boba's damage in GW. I was able to calculate that it is indeed boosting his armor penetration.

P.S. Rule of thumb: Always take what scuba says as the correct answer.
  • Options
    Any chance this description/wording can be more clearer? With BF needing to be r8 it would be useful to know how his kit works.