Help with JTR team - droids keep dying and next Zeta(s)

I'm working on a JTR HSTR team, currently used in T5/T6 - my guild is nowhere near HSTR ready.
Obviously, I'm not done with it yet. I have 3 zetas on the team so far and I'm working on getting everyone to G12+. I have zetas on JTR lead, R2's Number Crunch, and BB8's RwtP. JTR is at G12+0, BB8 at G12+1 (multitool), R2 at G11, RT at G11, and Scav Rey at G11. I'm working on getting everyone to G12 and getting multitools for R2 and RT and maybe JTR.

https://swgoh.gg/p/342639299/

While it's still a work in progress, it does a decent job already in STR T5/6 and for other purposes, but obviously is far from full potential. I'm not sure how to best focus my resources to get more out of it more quickly. The biggest weakness so far seemingly is the lack of health regen - I worked really hard to get BB8 to G12 and get him the multitool and it hardly does anything. I know my mods for this team are far from ideal yet as well, but my focus is on arena mods atm and will be for a while.

I have two major questions:

First, how many zetas does this team really need? Supposedly, I only really need one more - R2's combat analysis. However, JTR's Insight and BB8's SPP look appealing to me since health regen seems more important than anything else right now. Anyone who takes a hit from annihilate dies soon after - BB8's multitool health steal is nowhere near enough. So SPP is what I would prefer to take next - but it's not mandatory and I need zetas for so many other things that if I don't HAVE to spend a zeta, I won't. I seem to manage my debuffs well enough for drain force that combat analysis seems to be of limited value - though I recognize that debuffs reduce damage for some characters as well. So how may of these zetas do I really need?

Second, how should I best focus my resources next? My current plan is first to finish getting R2 to G12 and get him a multitool asap - but since BB8's multitool does almost nothing, I'm not so sure how much of a difference this will make. Next I planned on getting RT to G12 and getting him a multitool, and finally Scav Rey to G12. After that, I planned to work on mods a bit.

Replies

• HK666
    1263 posts Member
    I'm running the same team at lower gear levels at t6, and different zetas.

I rarely have someone go down, and don't have any g12 multitool. I do have BB8s other zeta tho, and I think that's the primary reason the droids survive, as I'm usually putting smokescreen on BB8. Some runs, his health gets dangerously low and I starting smokescreening JTR instead. My JTR also has insight, and almost never dies. Unlike BB8, I'm sure she could survive until enrage. I think she'd probably be fine without the healing from the zeta, but it lets her take annihilate and bring her health back.

in short- Insight and SPP means the run is easier, less deaths. While they aren't mandatory, it makes it easier

I've also got Combat analysis. I think it's a lot less useful than the healing zetas in regards to this raid. Without a doubt, it helps, lets you put out more skills and more ID, but if had to lose a zeta this would be a one. It pretty much just cleanses defense down on your units turn, which lets the cd reduction trigger. If you don't have this zeta, it'll disrupt that flow. But you only really get defense down from JTR calling to assist, so is it really necessary? no, but it is helpful

as for your next steps, to me it depends on those healing zetas. If you get them, you get your damage dealers geared first. If not, then r2 is probably your first priority.
  • Thanks, I got SPP on your advice. Haven't had much of a chance to try it so far - only been in p4 T6 since I got it. In p4, it seems to help bb8 survive, but not R2 - probably because R2 isn't getting foresight as often. We'll see what difference it makes the next time I get to try p1. I guess I'll get Insight and Combat Analysis eventually too, but probably not for a while. It seems like a ridiculous amount of zetas for one team.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Letareus wrote: »
    Thanks, I got SPP on your advice. Haven't had much of a chance to try it so far - only been in p4 T6 since I got it. In p4, it seems to help bb8 survive, but not R2 - probably because R2 isn't getting foresight as often. We'll see what difference it makes the next time I get to try p1. I guess I'll get Insight and Combat Analysis eventually too, but probably not for a while. It seems like a ridiculous amount of zetas for one team.

R2 should be able to maintain almost constant foresight because he can do smokescreen every other turn under JTR and give himself the foresight.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I have been struggling with the same thing on my JTR squad. I just unlocked her on the last run of her event, and just recently got her zeta. I already had Number Crunch, and am getting close to another zeta which I intend to use on this team.

All along I've been planning to use my next zeta for Roll with the Punches, but I'm starting to wonder if SPP or CA isn't the better way to go. I'm sorta leaning towards waiting on R2's second zeta, but I can't help but wonder if SPP isn't better than RWTP first for BB8. Does the extra assist count for that much more damage overall or would SPP keep me alive longer to do more damage before enrage?
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    RWTP absolutely should be first. It's more about the expose than the damage. RT needs exposes to gain TM and keep taking turns, and each extra attack is potentially another expose.

If your droids are dying, consider a healer (Visas is supposedly very good in this role) in place of R2.
  • BB8's SPP zeta and RJT's Insight are very helpful at keeping the team alive, when combined with multi-tools on BB8, R2, and Resistance Trooper. Alternatively, using Visas in place of R2 or Scavenger makes the run very consistent, but is not as needed since the changes were made to the sith raid.
  • TVF wrote: »
    RWTP absolutely should be first. It's more about the expose than the damage. RT needs exposes to gain TM and keep taking turns, and each extra attack is potentially another expose.

If your droids are dying, consider a healer (Visas is supposedly very good in this role) in place of R2.

Visas is better than R2 here. Keeps everyone alive (and can revive if not), as well doing massive damage. Only works really well in p1 tho. P3 to some extent.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    You can do more damage with Visas in place of R2 even keeping R2 and BB8 alive on their own?
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Visas is better than R2 here. Keeps everyone alive (and can revive if not), as well doing massive damage. Only works really well in p1 tho. P3 to some extent.

That is no longer the case, in heroic anyway. The changes to DN mean the original 5 resistance toons are far and away the highest damage team.

• CCyrilS wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

That is no longer the case, in heroic anyway. The changes to DN mean the original 5 resistance toons are far and away the highest damage team.

I thought the DN changes weren't reflected in Heroic
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    They are. You're thinking of the saber changes in P3.
  • TVF wrote: »
    R2 should be able to maintain almost constant foresight because he can do smokescreen every other turn under JTR and give himself the foresight.

Ah, I was using R2 to put foresight on BB8, I guess I should try putting it on R2 all the time instead since BB8 has his own foresight self-cast mechanism.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Actually you give it to him via JTR's special.