Arena question...

The wording in the announcement seems misleading. Why would people be gunning for the Alaska time zone? Arent shards decided by when you start playing? Or is they formed based on where/time zone you are playing?

I moved an to a state thats an hour ahead a year ago and my payout time didnt change, but my watch did. So basically if i change my time zone to Alaska then then that does nothing for me right?

This all depends if there are multiple payout times per shard. I was under the
(Self) impression that all sha4ds shared the same payout.

Basically can someone clarify what changing your timezone does for you? Are you switching shards and payout times, just payout times, just shards, or something in between?

Replies

• There are multiple payouts per shard. Your payout was set when you created your account. Until recently there was no way to change your payout (as you observed).
  • chionophile
    1097 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    You're not changing your shard, just your payout time (timezone). I started the game in Wisconsin (CST) and moved to Colorado (MST) so my payouts are an hour off of where they should be (they're at 5 and 6 now, instead of the 6 and 7 they'd be in CST).

Once I can change it, I'll probably push them two hours later, to 7 and 8. This is more for my convenience than to get a payout time with less competition.
  • Amazing, every word of what you just said... was wrong.
    It's only misleading to you because you made a bunch of assumptions which are all wrong.
    1) You enter a Leaderboard the moment you unlock Squad Arena (Or Fleet)
    2) Your time zone is determined at the point of Account Creation
    3) You can move to Timbuktu or wherever you want and that does not change the time zone of your Account
    4) There are multiple payout times no matter which Leaderboard you're in. Up to 30+ distinct time zones the last time I checked.
    5) Changing the time zone of your Account changes everything in that Account from Payout time to bonus energy to shop refresh times.
    6) There's no switching of Leaderboards, the only rare exception was when a particular Fleet Leaderboard was split in 2, which technically still doesn't mean any switching/movement was done.
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Amazing, every word of what you just said... was wrong.
    It's only misleading to you because you made a bunch of assumptions which are all wrong.
    1) You enter a Leaderboard the moment you unlock Squad Arena (Or Fleet)
    2) Your time zone is determined at the point of Account Creation
    3) You can move to Timbuktu or wherever you want and that does not change the time zone of your Account
    4) There are multiple payout times no matter which Leaderboard you're in. Up to 30+ distinct time zones the last time I checked.
    5) Changing the time zone of your Account changes everything in that Account from Payout time to bonus energy to shop refresh times.
    6) There's no switching of Leaderboards, the only rare exception was when a particular Fleet Leaderboard was split in 2, which technically still doesn't mean any switching/movement was done.

Funny and informative.

When i travel my payout is always 6pm CST, regardless of where i am in the country. So when im in California my payout is at 4pm while im there, which is 6pm CST. All payouts amd refreshes are tied to CST no matter where i am. The confusion is why would CG say people would be going after Alaska time zones? The completion is still going to be there. It doesnt benefit the player at all unless they physically move to Alaska right?

Or did I misunderstand/misread the announcement and CG *actually* said you can change your payout time? If thats the case then why even bring up timzones?

I understand that changing the payout time leads to better convenience for players that work or have other responsibilities. And also allows for less opposition when climbing to your payout rank.

Anyone out there that has used the change timzone feature before? Any insight would be nice. These responses were good, almost answered ally questions.
  • @jejuzang What is happening, is that folks will be able to change everything about their time zone, as if they had created the account somewhere else in the first place. So, using your account as an example, your current Arena Payout is 6pm CST. If you changed your time zone to Alaska, then you'd have your Arena payout at 9pm CST. This might be a lot better for you, if you're usually busy from 5 to 6pm (driving home from work, for example), but generally free from 8 to 9pm (kids are tucked into bed). Or, you might want to go the other direction, and change your payout to earlier in the day (over your lunch break), so you'd want to shift your time zone over to one of the European ones, instead of going west toward Alaska or Hawaii.

However, in moving your time zone, everything will shift, so Arena payout times will shift, but so will the times that your daily free energy becomes available, and the time your daily activities reset will shift.

Your leaderboard (shard) remains the same, with all of the same players/accounts, but the ones that are climbing for the same payout as you will change, as you and many other people adjust their payout times (time zones) to ones that are more convenient.

• @jejuzang What is happening, is that folks will be able to change everything about their time zone, as if they had created the account somewhere else in the first place. So, using your account as an example, your current Arena Payout is 6pm CST. If you changed your time zone to Alaska, then you'd have your Arena payout at 9pm CST. This might be a lot better for you, if you're usually busy from 5 to 6pm (driving home from work, for example), but generally free from 8 to 9pm (kids are tucked into bed). Or, you might want to go the other direction, and change your payout to earlier in the day (over your lunch break), so you'd want to shift your time zone over to one of the European ones, instead of going west toward Alaska or Hawaii.

However, in moving your time zone, everything will shift, so Arena payout times will shift, but so will the times that your daily free energy becomes available, and the time your daily activities reset will shift.

Your leaderboard (shard) remains the same, with all of the same players/accounts, but the ones that are climbing for the same payout as you will change, as you and many other people adjust their payout times (time zones) to ones that are more convenient.

Good stuff. Thankd for yhe answers everyone. @Kyno, question answered, can you please close?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    jejuzang wrote: »
    @jejuzang What is happening, is that folks will be able to change everything about their time zone, as if they had created the account somewhere else in the first place. So, using your account as an example, your current Arena Payout is 6pm CST. If you changed your time zone to Alaska, then you'd have your Arena payout at 9pm CST. This might be a lot better for you, if you're usually busy from 5 to 6pm (driving home from work, for example), but generally free from 8 to 9pm (kids are tucked into bed). Or, you might want to go the other direction, and change your payout to earlier in the day (over your lunch break), so you'd want to shift your time zone over to one of the European ones, instead of going west toward Alaska or Hawaii.

Good stuff. Thankd for yhe answers everyone. Kyno, question answered, can you please close?

This discussion has been closed.