Skepticism behind the decision to nerf retreat rate and not tell us...

Prev1
MJS
102 posts Member
edited November 2018
It's pretty much a fact that you did something with the retreat chance in haat. I can't speak for rancor because I don't retreat my units there. But in haat I can't retreat them no matter what. It will succeed maybe 1 out of 10 times which is far lower than the 40% that it claims to be.

I wonder if the devs are trying to make the raid more difficult for some reason?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Did you track it meticulously over hundreds of attempts? Otherwise it's just an insignificant swing in RNG.
  • MJS wrote: »
    It's pretty much a fact that you did something with the retreat chance in haat. I can't speak for rancor because I don't retreat my units there. But in haat I can't retreat them no matter what. It will succeed maybe 1 out of 10 times which is far lower than the 40% that it claims to be.

I wonder if the devs are trying to make the raid more difficult for some reason?

:D

A raid which is soloable with a single team? Unlikely.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    MJS wrote: »

A fact that something was changed? What was the chance of success before the change? What was it changed to?
  • If you are still using the old CLS burn and run phase 1, switch to CLS, Thrawn, BB-8, Asajj, Akbar and just Solo the whole thing.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    If you are still using the old CLS burn and run phase 1, switch to CLS, Thrawn, BB-8, Asajj, Akbar and just Solo the whole thing.

Better save that team until the end of p2, and if using CLS in p1, then escape in the end. I believe that's what the OP does.
  • Small sample size.
    Confirmation bias.
    Go to sleep.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Did you track it meticulously over hundreds of attempts? Otherwise it's just an insignificant swing in RNG.

You're clueless of how math works, no offense but you're taking the easy way out. "You haven't done hundreds of attempts so I must assume there's no basis to your claims". Sorry but that's not gonna cut it.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    If you are still using the old CLS burn and run phase 1, switch to CLS, Thrawn, BB-8, Asajj, Akbar and just Solo the whole thing.

Better save that team until the end of p2, and if using CLS in p1, then escape in the end. I believe that's what the OP does.

Wrong, I start trying to retreat Han at about 25% left of p1, and CLS at 10%, hermit Yoda as soon as everyone has master's training which is over 50% of p1
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Did you track it meticulously over hundreds of attempts? Otherwise it's just an insignificant swing in RNG.

You're clueless of how math works, no offense but you're taking the easy way out. "You haven't done hundreds of attempts so I must assume there's no basis to your claims". Sorry but that's not gonna cut it.

How does math work? Be the one educate us.

Wrong, I start trying to retreat Han at about 25% left of p1, and CLS at 10%, hermit Yoda as soon as everyone has master's training which is over 50% of p1

Might want to check the team composition he is talking about, since neither Han or Hoda was included in the team.
  • HAAT.. who cares..
  • MJS
    102 posts Member

Might want to check the team composition he is talking about, since neither Han or Hoda was included in the team.

Han was include in p1 solo since forever. I added hermit cause I like him

That's exactly how math works. If you retreat twice and succeed each time, that doesn't mean they've boosted the retreat rate to 100%. Likewise, if you retreat 20 times and only 2 go through, it doesn't mean they've secretly dropped it to 10%.

People talk this nonsense all the time--about shard drop rates, about gear drop rates, about zetas in challenges, about all kinds of things with randomness in it--but any time someone actually tracks the numbers for any reasonable amount of statistically significant time the printed rates always bear out.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Please post your data, I would appreciate being able to see the numbers from pre and post change.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »

That's exactly how math works. If you retreat twice and succeed each time, that doesn't mean they've boosted the retreat rate to 100%. Likewise, if you retreat 20 times and only 2 go through, it doesn't mean they've secretly dropped it to 10%.

People talk this nonsense all the time--about shard drop rates, about gear drop rates, about zetas in challenges, about all kinds of things with randomness in it--but any time someone actually tracks the numbers for any reasonable amount of statistically significant time the printed rates always bear out.

No but if it was 100% for 10 raids in a row then it would mean that. If it's under 10% for 10 raids in a row then it can't be 40%

No but if it was 100% for 10 raids in a row then it would mean that. If it's under 10% for 10 raids in a row then it can't be 40%

So if you don't win the lottery 10 times in a row, that means it's unwinnable?
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited November 2018

Wow. Does that mean that if I flip a coin, and get heads an obnoxious amount of times in a row that it isn't just a possible, yet statistically improbable coincidence? Do you mean to tell me that the only reason explanation is that the universe nerfed the drop rate on tails? You learn something new every day. Thanks for teaching me how math works.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

You can flip a coin and get 10 heads in a row, but the probability of each side is still 50%.
  • Math doesn’t care about your feelings.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

You can flip a coin and get 10 heads in a row, but the probability of each side is still 50%.

Let me know when you get 10 head and one tails 5 days in a row
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Flip a coin more than 10 times and then keep going and let me know when you get to 50%.

Math is funny like that, it can take a huge sample size to show the reality of a situation.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Tell me when MJS opens up that math course. I'm willing to pay 5000$ or 5$, not sure, haven't come to the part we learn counting yet.
  • I wouldn't even pay $5 to take a course in fuzzy maths.
  • MJS
    102 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    Tell me when MJS opens up that math course. I'm willing to pay 5000$ or 5$, not sure, haven't come to the part we learn counting yet.
    Huatimus wrote: »
    I wouldn't even pay $5 to take a course in fuzzy maths.

Flip a coin more than 10 times and then keep going and let me know when you get to 50%.

Math is funny like that, it can take a huge sample size to show the reality of a situation.

If your theory was correct I should have stretches of "good luck" as well, but I don't
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    Huatimus wrote: »
    I wouldn't even pay $5 to take a course in fuzzy maths.

If your theory was correct I should have stretches of "good luck" as well, but I don't

Burden of proof is on you since you're the one making the claim the escape chances are nerfed and that's a fact.

dlksbd8ju41h.png
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

How does this make my statement wrong — let alone my assumption? You ARE using CLS for phase 1. You ARE making CLS escape in the end (I consider ar 10% to be in the end).
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited November 2018

Han was include in p1 solo since forever. I added hermit cause I like him

I never mentioned neither Han nor HY. My comment mentioned CLS only — but I never mentioned CLS to be solo in p1. You better stick to what people actually write, instead of basing your responses on your own wrong assumptions.

(My original comment still stands)
    Post edited by Waqui on
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Do you consider 20 samples a high enough sample size to conclude anything about the chance to escape? "Interesting."
  • A little late but 20 samples is statistically insignificant. I'm not saying this to discredit your findings. I'm saying this as someone who has studied lots of statistics. It's just not enough to suggest that the rate has changed.

(Sloppily) running through the calculations using some fairly benign approximations says you need well over 100 samples to even have a 95% chance of disproving that it is wrong. It's a Bernulli Distribution and I used a Normal Approximation.

Cheers!