I stink at Ships - please help!

Hey, guys and gals -

I have some decent ships, don't get me wrong, but I clearly don't know how to use them and in what combination - I'm never lower than #230 or so in ships. Here's my ships roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/899527895/ships/

I keep trying to run Mace Windu as my flagship because he's the one I've got 7-starred, so I get a whole extra ship with him! But I almost always lose or tie when I try this nonsense. So I think I'm resigned to using my 6-star Thrawn instead? But I don't have as many strong Empire ships as I do light side ships, which isn't optimal for Thrawn, is it? Do I have enough Dark Side ships to stick with him?

Whoever I'm running as leader, I tend to use Biggs, which lately means I've been sticking Fives and Anakin with him to make sure he gets protection regen from target lock. On backup I have Plo Koon because he comes in and returns health and protection again, Ahsoka because she removes status effects and hits hard, and then I either use Ghost or Phantom in the last slot. I don't know which or why - basically because they're generally strong ships. Ghost has that nice stealth move that calls three allies to assist.

I think this is a pretty mediocre/novice-y lineup but I don't know how to make it better. I was using Hound's Tooth for a while, and it had awesome staying power, but somehow it was making my enemy's Biggs regain protection like mad (I didn't understand why) so I stopped using it.

Anyhow, yeah, I'm not bad at putting together person-squads, but I clearly stink at putting together ship-squads. Can you help me put together something that will push me below 200? I think I have the actual ship power for it... maybe?

Thank you!
SamUX

Replies

• "resigned"? 5* Thrawn or Tarkin is better than Mace.

That extra ship is window dressing. Plenty of people can and do take 1st with 6* capitals. Battles shouldn't go to the 3rd or 4th reinforcement.

I'd run Tarkin, with Biggs, Tie, FOTie. Vader and Phantom and Wedge as your backups. You could switch Vader and FOTie if you're having TL issues, but I like Vader as a reinforcement.

Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Most of the time I don’t even need a reinforcement, so the extra one is worthless. I run silencer, Biggs, and Vader and most of the time I win before the first reinforcement is called.
  • Your vader and tf aren't too far down there. If you are running thrawn, I suggest putting them in the starting lineup with biggs.

Ghost and fives work well in reinforcements with this if you max out the reinforcement ability. Ghost can come in and put tl on all the enemies which gives biggs losts of pretection. That also sets fives up to come in for a massive aoe. Or if you spread tl with tf and vader call fives in first for an early advantage. For the 3rd asoka works fairly well as a plug and play but reaper is decent too. Up to you really.

Tarkin also is good if you use that line up. I actually prefer him over thrawn but either one will work. But they are both way better than mace. It does suck to only have 3 reinforcements but in my experience, if you need the last one, most times you're going to lose anyway.

I would eventually gear and star up bossk and ht and switch it in for biggs and put biggs in your reinforcements but for niw it's probably too squishy to work.

I run vader, tf, ht with ghost, fives, biggs, and fett in reinforcements and take first almost every day against geos, and ht hybid teams.
  • How come everyone else's Biggs is invincible but mine? I don't understand. I'll spend an entire fight trying to kill their Biggs and failing, but mine goes down right away. And my Biggs is G12 with the ship nearly maxxed out. Is my combination of ships wrong somehow to maximize his durability??
  • Biggs gets protection back from target locks. So you need ships throwing around target locks. Vader is great because not only is it a guaranteed TL, it comes back if it expires or gets wiped. Which means more protection for Biggs. Vader, Tie Fighter, FO Tie Fighter all apply TL on basics, and are fast ships.

5s only applies TL on his special, and if you're referring to the Anakin Starfighter that just came out, it's got a nice TL on basic like Vader, but unless you spent a bunch of cash to get it to 7*, it's slow and soft.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • First off, Mace's ship is terrible. I personally like Tarkin, but all of the other capital ships are significantly better choices. Plus Mace is also terrible on the ground (unless the TW buff becomes a regular thing), whereas Ackbar, Thrawn and Tarkin are all useful. So Endurance, barring a rework, is just a losing proposition all around. Losing one reinforcement by using a 6* capital doesn't matter much either - ideally you want to win the match before it gets that far.

Hound's Tooth gives Biggs protection because of Vader. When Vader is present, any target locks that expire immediately get refreshed. Hound's Tooth dispels all debuffs when it uses its basic, so it dispels target lock, Vader throws down a new one, and Biggs gains protection. It's fine to bench Bossk for now since a 3* HT isn't that hard to beat, but it's definitely worth working on - it's the best ship tank by a huge margin.

I don't use most of the ships in your lineup except Biggs and Phantom II, so I don't have much to offer in the way of advice on how to use them. Do note that Phantom's reinforcement ability lets you reinforce again on your capital's next turn, so it's worth considering calling it first to get the numbers advantage. You can also use its first special right away to drop a target lock and keep Biggs taunting, if needed.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png