Cheater & hacker update 11/18

Replies

• Options
    Noxhaven wrote: »
    How are the vendors able to send crystals to the costumers? A normal account aint able to send crystals as far as i know, only CG and the devs can?

it is simply stolen credit cards, gift cards, charge-back scams, or organized crime money laundering fronts.

LD

Jesus ****, money laundering for organised crime? And here I assumed it would be a few losers trying to earn a few quick bucks with stolen credit cards.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    Boov wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Can I honestly ask you, do you not feel cheated by someone doing better than you who has spent very little or nothing, but is leaps and bounds ahead of you?
    Not directed at my, but no, not really. In a game that's inherently unfair in order for the developers to make money, i can't be that bothered that much about how they've purchased their crystals or account. It's unfair for sure, but out of everything that are unfair in this game, i think this mass ban is just a drop in the ocean.
    Do you feel cheated by a player who's exactly as skilled and dedicated as you, but has a better roster simply because he has a less crouded pay-out, or a less competative leaderboard alltoghether?

Inherently unfair? How so?

On your second point, no. We have 3 players in our shard that have open POs. They still have to win to get there, just like everyone else.

Any game in which you can pay to get ahead is inherently unfair. Lets also not forget that this game used to have regional pricing, which in a way is more fair, but nevertheless results in players paying less money for the same amount of crystals.
    Assuming you're on a shard chat with rank rotation, if you share your pay-out with 4 others you're making 100 cyrstals less daily on average than the player who doesn't share his PO, with the same amount of effort. That's just on the same leaderboard, some players might not even be able to take top5 at all on some leaderboards, but would easily do so on other leaderboards (which started at roughly the same time).
    If i had to chose between competing with 10 legit krakens or 4 bought accounts/crystal fraud players i'd chose the former out of selfinterrest. So given i'd make that choice, i can't really say i'm that bothered or feel cheated by bought accounts/crystalfraud.
    I don't feel cheated that much either way tbh, but if i had to guess i'm probably on a relatively easy leaderboard and i haven't noticed anyone disapearing in my top50. So there's always the possibility that i don't feel cheated because i'm not being cheated or unlucky with my leaderboard. Maybe in fleet, but i don't play fleet so i wouldn't know.

Please show me a sport or competition where the better funded person/team doesnt have an advantage. Better training, coaching, team diversity, recruitment, or.... There are many examples where money influences the outcome of a competition. And the better funded player/team doesn't always win.

The fact that money gives an advantage in sports doesn't mean sports are fair, so i'm not sure why you're even asking. On top of that most competative sports reward money to the winners/participants, just like this game rewards crystals.
    Also, even if there was no possibility to use real money to buy ingame items in this game, one could still argue that the better funded player has an advantage. I'm sure i could find someone willing to coach me for a fee.
    Imo the most fair competition/game/sport is between players on a level playing field. Being able to buy ingame items for money destroys that level playing field on purpose, making the game inherently unfair. I'm not even sure why i'm even bothered explaining because it's so glaringly obvious not a fair competion by design.

These games are designed that way for the purpose of allowing different levels of play. Just like in real life how much I spend determines the quality and satisfaction of what I get. I could spend 25 cents for a package of ramen noodles or I could spend $50 for a nice steak. Both will satisfy my hunger but only one truly satisfies my desires. In this game I could choose to play for free and progress slowly or I can play for the competition and spend whatever I need to to get the gear mods and characters I need to win. If you dont enjoy that style of play then why are you playing?
  • Options
    Wanted to start by saying thank you to CG & LD for their hard work. I was very happy to hear about their efforts to remove cheaters from the game.

I do have a question though: There was an individual in one of the public discord channels who said that 40 people in his Chinese guild (I won't name it but it's a big one) were banned. He was not but the majority of his guild was. I had no idea what 'loading' was until it was explained to me but that is what people were saying these cheaters were doing. This individual said that players in China are not able to purchase stuff from iTunes and GooglePlay. Is that correct? (Regardless of the answer I still do not feel they should use illegal means of purchasing crystals at a discounted price - especially if it is perpetrated by credit card fraud, theft and hacking).
  • Options
    @CG_LucifersDaddy
    Are the bans already done or is this first happening in a few days?
    I didn't recognize any changes in my arenas yet
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Tohu wrote: »
    @CG_LucifersDaddy
    Are the bans already done or is this first happening in a few days?
    I didn't recognize any changes in my arenas yet

Maybe you don't have any cheaters on your shard. Wouldn't be a bad thing.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • 2smooth
    572 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Don’t slaughter players abruptly. Manage the gaming environment, forbid the vendors, give palyers more warnings would be more considerate.
    what do they need warning for what did they lose a ATL account they put no effort in to reaping rewards for knowing how to play? Lol if ur friends where smart the would have spent their free crystals like normal whales do they still be playing but they abused them and got caught doing so smh they could have made a better solution reset their accounts make it so they can’t spend crystals much better punishment I’d say lol

• Options
    LMAO Good job! I had seen these offers online and I'm not going to lie, I considered it. I'm glad I said "nope!" and spent my hard earned money to support the game directly instead!

Good job and to all those who are crying about people not getting a warning, that's like if any FPS games gave hackers warning "hey, if you continue hacking we're going to ban you" screw that! ban everyone! They're the ones that decided to get the unfair advantage!

if a whale has spent a lot of money, Then did this, he was obviously a broke **** getting himself into debt.
  • Options
    2smooth wrote: »
    Don’t slaughter players abruptly. Manage the gaming environment, forbid the vendors, give palyers more warnings would be more considerate.
    what do they need warning for what did they lose a ATL account they put no effort in to reaping rewards for knowing how to play? Lol if ur friends where smart the would have spent their free crystals like normal whales do they still be playing but they abused them and got caught doing so smh they could have made a better solution reset their accounts make it so they can’t spend crystals much better punishment I’d say lol

They gave a warning and were considerate by stating it in the user agreement that every player agrees to when they start playing. Ignoring the agreement is no excuse to break rules.
  • Options
    Ikey wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Keithkia wrote: »
    Are these bans permanent?

For the most part yes.

In the past we've tried to rehabilitate these types of abuses with intricate and severe account adjustments... but with so many this go round we're just going to a perma-ban.

We may entertain reevaluations in a few months, but I can not emphasize enough how low of a priority it is to set aside time to accommodate cheaters. They cheated, they're gone.

LD

Just so you know on Reddit they are posting something like 2 week bans...or even in the past..

That's crazy they can buy themselves to first by cheating get 2 weeks off then get to go right back to first place.....

That would almost BE AN INCENTIVE to go out and try to cheat....that would be INSANE..

It HAS to be permanant or everyone in their brother is going to go out and try to do this..

I know better than to let reddit rile me up but those guys have a point about temp or suspensions that woudl allow them to come back would just encourage more people to cheat.

Yeah I read those reports. It gives me pause, knowing the truth and such.

We don't share specific account information, but I can tell you that at no point has an account that was found guilty of crystal fraud been released back into the game without a serious, and I mean serious adjustment.

This can and often would include the removal of event exclusive characters. Which in the case of our game means they will never be able to obtain them (e.g. BB8, Yoda, CLS...) Oh and all currencies, items, a bunch of gear and a smattering of high value heroes.

But really, if they got back into the game in a couple of weeks, the account was a shell of its former self.

Also this was likely during a time when we were still grasping at the magnitude and reach of such violations, thus release said accounts for further monitoring helped to yield much needed information.

LD

@CG_LucifersDaddy This isn't true at all. I know a bunch of people last year that you caught cheating using the very same method, and a soft ban was sanctioned. They're still very much playing today.

As LD said in another post, they did this with the specific intent of monitoring their accounts to learn what was going on. Same way FBI does a sting
    Never tell me the odds...
  • Options
    I see post after post about how they should remove these mega raven teams from arena cause they will not drop out of top 100 in arena. They are dead accounts. Leap frog them. They will never be higher. There is just one path. Down. Within a month or two they will be in the **** heap with all the others that have quit the game.
  • Options
    Who would have thought the word for stony waste matter separated from metals during the smelting or refining of ore would be censored.
  • Options
    Bobby117a wrote: »
    Who would have thought the word for stony waste matter separated from metals during the smelting or refining of ore would be censored.

It is inappropriate to smelt or refine ores in the forum :/
  • Grimstoned
    250 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Wrong thread oops
  • Options
    Vinniarth wrote: »

It is inappropriate to smelt or refine ores in the forum :/

Anakin should have thought about that before he went to Mustafar.
  • Options
    This is wild. Ranks #3-#15 of my shard has no guild. They were in the same guild. Am I right to assume they fraudulently bought their way to the top and have been banned or is CG eliminating these shard-guilds? Either way, good riddance...although they are all maxed out Revan teams with God mods so it will be a while before they move very far unless removed from the arena rankings.
  • Options
    This is wild. Ranks #3-#15 of my shard has no guild. They were in the same guild. Am I right to assume they fraudulently bought their way to the top and have been banned or is CG eliminating these shard-guilds? Either way, good riddance...although they are all maxed out Revan teams with God mods so it will be a while before they move very far unless removed from the arena rankings.

They may still be active but their guild disintegrated from bans.
  • Options

Yeah, on account of it means something else when you use that noun as an epithet--check urban dictionary.

I used to play a game that had a character named Skeet. The character's name would be censored on the official forum because of what it means on UD.

Interestingly enough, there's a name for this phenomenon: The Scunthorpe Problem. Scunthorpe is a town somewhere in England or the broader UK (what do I know? I'm American, go check Wikipedia) that very often gets censored or banned by automated moderator software because there's a couple letters in the town's name in a sequence that's a swear.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Gorem wrote: »
    Ah, good timing for this to come before grand arena, the most concern I saw was people complaining about cheaters ruining that mode, after they apparently ruined tourney's before... Luckily I missed that but didn't want to experience it in this mode, and now with this there is hope :)

Levi and I have been eyeing Grand Arena for months now. We are fully committed to making certain that event runs true... if for no other reason than our own desire to see who legitimately comes out on top.

LD

As one of this first to go “argh remember two years ago” when grand arena was released I will add to the thank you for this. I’m still bitter about losing out on shoretrooper by 15 places of so and their being 30 hackers in top 100 so very pleased and now looking forward to grand arena.

Turukano
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Yeah, on account of it means something else when you use that noun as an epithet--check urban dictionary.

I used to play a game that had a character named Skeet. The character's name would be censored on the official forum because of what it means on UD.

Interestingly enough, there's a name for this phenomenon: The Scunthorpe Problem. Scunthorpe is a town somewhere in England or the broader UK (what do I know? I'm American, go check Wikipedia) that very often gets censored or banned by automated moderator software because there's a couple letters in the town's name in a sequence that's a swear.

The word basement gets censored in swgoh for that same reason
  • Options
    @cg_lucifersdaddy

i use a tapping app to spend my ally points on bronzium packs. its just such a pain to do by hand and bronzium packs do yield nice stuff. i hope that wouldnt get somehow flagged as third party app use. What is your policy regarding that? Am I at risk?

kind regards,

a really long time player
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options
    Kokie wrote: »

Can I honestly ask you, do you not feel cheated by someone doing better than you who has spent very little or nothing, but is leaps and bounds ahead of you?
    Not directed at my, but no, not really. In a game that's inherently unfair in order for the developers to make money, i can't be that bothered that much about how they've purchased their crystals or account. It's unfair for sure, but out of everything that are unfair in this game, i think this mass ban is just a drop in the ocean.
    Do you feel cheated by a player who's exactly as skilled and dedicated as you, but has a better roster simply because he has a less crouded pay-out, or a less competative leaderboard alltoghether?

Inherently unfair? How so?

On your second point, no. We have 3 players in our shard that have open POs. They still have to win to get there, just like everyone else.

Any game in which you can pay to get ahead is inherently unfair. Lets also not forget that this game used to have regional pricing, which in a way is more fair, but nevertheless results in players paying less money for the same amount of crystals.
    Assuming you're on a shard chat with rank rotation, if you share your pay-out with 4 others you're making 100 cyrstals less daily on average than the player who doesn't share his PO, with the same amount of effort. That's just on the same leaderboard, some players might not even be able to take top5 at all on some leaderboards, but would easily do so on other leaderboards (which started at roughly the same time).
    If i had to chose between competing with 10 legit krakens or 4 bought accounts/crystal fraud players i'd chose the former out of selfinterrest. So given i'd make that choice, i can't really say i'm that bothered or feel cheated by bought accounts/crystalfraud.
    I don't feel cheated that much either way tbh, but if i had to guess i'm probably on a relatively easy leaderboard and i haven't noticed anyone disapearing in my top50. So there's always the possibility that i don't feel cheated because i'm not being cheated or unlucky with my leaderboard. Maybe in fleet, but i don't play fleet so i wouldn't know.

Please show me a sport or competition where the better funded person/team doesnt have an advantage. Better training, coaching, team diversity, recruitment, or.... There are many examples where money influences the outcome of a competition. And the better funded player/team doesn't always win.

The fact that money gives an advantage in sports doesn't mean sports are fair, so i'm not sure why you're even asking. On top of that most competative sports reward money to the winners/participants, just like this game rewards crystals.
    Also, even if there was no possibility to use real money to buy ingame items in this game, one could still argue that the better funded player has an advantage. I'm sure i could find someone willing to coach me for a fee.
    Imo the most fair competition/game/sport is between players on a level playing field. Being able to buy ingame items for money destroys that level playing field on purpose, making the game inherently unfair. I'm not even sure why i'm even bothered explaining because it's so glaringly obvious not a fair competion by design.

These games are designed that way for the purpose of allowing different levels of play. Just like in real life how much I spend determines the quality and satisfaction of what I get. I could spend 25 cents for a package of ramen noodles or I could spend $50 for a nice steak. Both will satisfy my hunger but only one truly satisfies my desires. In this game I could choose to play for free and progress slowly or I can play for the competition and spend whatever I need to to get the gear mods and characters I need to win. If you dont enjoy that style of play then why are you playing?

First off, real life isn't fair either. If you're born in the slumbs of a 3rd world country your quality of life is objectively worse than someone who's born into wealth. That doesn't mean that the rich person with an objectively higher quality of life is happier than the person born in the slumbs.
    These games are designed this way to make money, not to be a fair competition between players whom are all on a level playing field. If i wanted to play a game suitable for competative gaming i definately wouldn't play a freemium game.
    I do however enjoy playing this game and one of the reasons i do so is because it's relatively f2p friendly. I've got a decent roster, rank high in arena, but haven't spend a dime. I still recognize that it's an inherently unfair game though, but i'm cool with that. I only mentioned it because that's the reason i don't really care about the crystalfraud and buying/gifting accounts gameplay wise, on this already not level playing field a few more players who got their account/crystals illegally won't make that much of a difference to me. Legit purchases and luck in this inherently unfair game have a far bigger impact on players' performance ingame than these "cheaters", and that's by design.
  • Options
    Any compensation for non cheater player who lose better rewards every day because of cheater?
  • Options
    Jenjhys wrote: »
    Any compensation for non cheater player who lose better rewards every day because of cheater?

Yes, the cheaters are being removed. Don't be greedy and ask for more.
  • Options

No, remove cheater is not enough.

• Options

No, remove cheater is not enough.

You won’t have to compete with cheaters anymore - majority of those will have had Revan teams and 7* hounds etc. Greed is what got people mired in this feaces show to start with.

• Options
    A bunch of these guys started playing and actually paid, then they started getting the hacked crystals. So it's their fault, they knew this could happen and that the deal was too good to be true.

I feel removal, and permanent bans are in order. This happens on Xbox Live, PSN, Battlenet, Steam, and more online services. It's an immediate perma ban.
    114 posts Member
    Options
    Greetings Heroes,

We take cheating at Galaxy of Heroes very seriously and are tirelessly working to identify and remove cheaters from the game. You may have noticed or have heard that one of our investigations resulted in a mass banning. Well sit tight, cause this purge is just beginning (insert sinister laugh here.)

After countless reports and over a year of investigation, we are confidently taking action on hundreds of accounts engaged in... well let’s just say they ended up on my naughty list.

You no doubt are seeing some changes in your arena leader-boards as a result of this ongoing action.

We are nowhere near the end of this battle. To quote the greatest rock band of all time... “We’ve only just begun...”

And remember heroes, it is a direct violation of the terms of service to purchase in-game currency from third party vendors (aka if it is not in our store, it’s not legit.) Ya know, the Terms of Service bit about “...blah, blah, blah, Sell, buy, trade or otherwise transfer or offer to transfer your EA Account, any personal access to EA Services, or any EA Content associated with your EA Account, including EA Virtual Currency and other Entitlements, either within an EA Service or on a third party website, or in connection with any out-of-game transaction, unless expressly authorized by EA... blah, blah.” That bit. http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

And per usual, if you have any questions or concerns regarding cheating or banned accounts in the game please message me directly on the forums @cg_lucifersdaddy .

Carry on, and don’t forget to wash those blasters every day!

LD

Absolutely loving this, it's by far the best decision that's been made by the DEVS, and a big thank you to @CG_LucifersDaddy for the hard work and commitment to the cause.

I have struggled for over 6 months just trying to get into the top 200 on my arena shard, constantly just getting slaughtered, I basically gave up on arena and started forefitting matches just to do 2 for dailys, then in steps LucifersDaddy to crush the cheats, yesterday I finished 159th, today after 5 battles (still lose 2) I make it to 99TH, unbelievable.

Thanks again CG_LUCIFERSDADDY your the man :)
  • TideWarrior
    90 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I guess I am a little confused here. I understand the terms of the service to play the game and these actions violate that and applaud the company for taking action but not sure how it is hacking and cheating though. The terms seem not to apply here to be honest.

A third party finds a way to create in game currency at a discounted rate to transfer to players in game. These same players more then likely would have spent the money anyways in game to get the edge over those that try and work their way up the hard way. I guess I could understand if maybe this was not a pay to play model. I have been in games where gold farmers were rampant via 3rd party and as others have mentioned used the auction house to complete transactions. That was the only way to obtain discounted gold. But then all that did was create a unbalanced trade market and gave no real advantage in the game. Here I understand by having more crystals and gear gives you an advantage but anyone that is willing to spend the money can gain that same advantage just from buying in game via the store. So I guess maybe they are cheating the company who has monopolized the market but not gaming community.

Also confused on the hacking here. What was hacked and how was the hacking advantageous? Yes you are not suppose to sell your account but that is not hacking. I guess I need clarification on this one.

Again I understand rules that we agree on to play the game are being violated by those who are looking for cheaper ways to purchase top gear and in game items but that is a bi-product of a pay for play model especially when a game like this one is currently ramping up the model to succeed you will need to pay or get left behind. Not sure it is cheating or just hurting the bottom line of the company which I understand if they are not making money, no money will go back into the game, and the game will eventually cease to exist.

And before this announcement 33 of the top 50 in my shard were Raven teams yesterday 37 were Revan teams. So not really sure how much it is changing. Also before the announcement I would finish the day between 250 to 450(arena not really a big thing for me) now when I start I am around 900 and can barely get below 500.
  • Options
    @cg_lucifersdaddy

i use a tapping app to spend my ally points on bronzium packs. its just such a pain to do by hand and bronzium packs do yield nice stuff. i hope that wouldnt get somehow flagged as third party app use. What is your policy regarding that? Am I at risk?

kind regards,

a really long time player

Realistically speaking, they've already noticed an abnormal activity on your account, flagged you, investigated, and already moved on. They don't just look at what you're doing and whether it breaks the rules, they look at whether the rule that's being broken is harming the game. Using a third party to buy crystals (which are probably a scam--see LD's previous posts) harms the game because the people breaking the rules are gaining an advantage over the people who aren't. The people using third party aps to instakill or get infinite health in arena are CLEARLY harming the game.

Using a tap ap to open bronziums isn't hurting the game--but, from personal experience, why are you still using it? It took me a couple hours to open my packs and spend down to 0 when Tournaments were cancelled and I needed to spend a half a million, but once I was down to 0 it took no time at all to spend back down to 0 at the end of every night since you'd only get maybe 15 total packs :P You've got time to open 15!
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
This discussion has been closed.