Allowing player to change their payout time - getting it right

Prev1
From the road ahead, one of the things coming down the pipe is allowing players to change their payout times for arenas.

CG, please, when you make this change disconnect the free energy boosts that occur at noon/6/9 from these payout times and put them on their own separate player selectable payout times.

For me, 6PM arena payout is in the middle of dinner/family time, so pushing that back 2-3 hours will be great. If my energy refreshes are tied to that though, pushing the normally 9PM energy boost to 11PM/midnight would not be so great.

I imagine those working swing/graveyard shifts would love separate control of these as well.

Replies

• They've specified that it will change the change in payout would affect your Bonus Energy, Fleet Payout, and your Daily Reset. It will still occur at the same interval, but just shifted to adjust it to the new Arena/Reset time.
  • PAUBroksby wrote: »
    They've specified that it will change the change in payout would affect your Bonus Energy, Fleet Payout, and your Daily Reset. It will still occur at the same interval, but just shifted to adjust it to the new Arena/Reset time.

Right, I'm suggesting they rethink that.
  • PAUBroksby wrote: »
    They've specified that it will change the change in payout would affect your Bonus Energy, Fleet Payout, and your Daily Reset. It will still occur at the same interval, but just shifted to adjust it to the new Arena/Reset time.

I didn't see it, but was wondering. So it's not just an arena payout adjustment, but a full game time adjustment?
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Yes, payout and energy collection are tied together.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Fanatic wrote: »
    PAUBroksby wrote: »

Its probably more complicated than "rethinking" it.

It's all tied together and for it to not be is huge, and not likely to happen.
  • Kyno wrote: »

I'm not making any statements regarding the ease or difficulty of it. I'm just pointing out that if they want to get the most out of making a QoL around it, it should split the timers.

• Really it’s going to be up to the player to prioritize what will benefit them most...keeping all the same times, or changing all times to benefit arena, and possibly sacrificing convienence of bonus energy. For me, the change will be beneficial all the way around but I’m sure there’s many that will have to figure out the lesser of the two evils. Might not be fair, but I’m sure to code it otherwise would be complicated. It’s not like they even have to offer the option in the first place.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

I'm not making any statements regarding the ease or difficulty of it. I'm just pointing out that if they want to get the most out of making a QoL around it, it should split the timers.

As a much requested feature, the ease of suggestions like this has a lot to do with it. if its difficult it could delay the QoL longer not allowing the player base to have it at all for some time.
  • Fanatic wrote: »

Yes and no, while splitting the timers up would be beneficial to a degree. Keeping everything the same while allowing folks the ability to alter their arena payout, is also the better path. It makes it a double edged sword, you can tweak arena around but there is an associated cost involved, you may get your dream sweet spot for both arenas, but your energy tomes and daily reset might not be a good fit anymore. This in a way makes a person think very hard about what is the most beneficial change to make for your personal preferences, And it keeps the playing field relatively equal for all players. Which is likely the other large driving force behind keeping everything sync time wise.
  • Fanatic
    415 posts Member
    edited November 2018

Yes and no, while splitting the timers up would be beneficial to a degree. Keeping everything the same while allowing folks the ability to alter their arena payout, is also the better path. It makes it a double edged sword, you can tweak arena around but there is an associated cost involved, you may get your dream sweet spot for both arenas, but your energy tomes and daily reset might not be a good fit anymore. This in a way makes a person think very hard about what is the most beneficial change to make for your personal preferences, And it keeps the playing field relatively equal for all players. Which is likely the other large driving force behind keeping everything sync time wise.

The limitation of being able to change only twice a year I think already sufficiently limits that.

For someone who works a typical schedule being able to change PO times and have that be all or nothing is only a minor benefit.

So I can push my PO to later in the day so it doesn't conflict with my drive home/family time, and then have a late energy boost at midnight or 1 AM (not particularly ideal). Or I could move my PO earlier in the day so again avoid the drive home/family time frame, and instead spend an hour at work doing my arena battles - I'm sure my boss won't mind... Or I could bring my PO ~10 hours forward, oh wait, I'm getting my kids to school, and driving to work in that time frame, and of course then my noon energy boost would be at 1 AM.

As is I will still gain a minor benefit as I can push my PO an hour back. But that doesn't leave very much in the way of realistic flexibility.

• By choosing a new payout are you put on a shard with the same payout?
  • Bring your payout 4 hours earlier and play during lunch hour.
  • I’d like to see the arena payout time untethered from the shop/energy refreshes too. The proposed implementation will benefit a lot of people who have moved across the world, but it still presumed that the best time for us to be engaged with our screens is right around dinner time. There was a time in my life when that would have worked for me, and it probably works for some others, but these days, I’d really like to do my arena battles either before work or right before bed.

The energy refreshes are fine as they are: log in, grab the energy, sim a few quick battles, and I’m out. But pushing in two separate arenas over 2 hours is a huge hassle if it falls at an inconvenient time.

Not to get too radical, but I’d actually like the option to have my fleet and squad arena payouts in the same hour. Now that both arenas have 5 minute timers, there’s really no reason not to be able to do this. I’ve done both arenas’ battles in the same hour before, when I was going to miss my fleet payout, and it was frankly a lot of fun, and saved time.

So yeah, I agree with the OP, let’s see about getting this done.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.

The existing system isn’t “relatively equal for all players,” because different players have very different schedules. It would be “relatively equal” if each player could adjust their payout to the hour most convenient for them.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.

The existing system isn’t “relatively equal for all players,” because different players have very different schedules. It would be “relatively equal” if each player could adjust their payout to the hour most convenient for them.

That’s kinda the point of changing your payout times isn’t it? To make it convenient for the player?

However, having the times stay synced for energy bonuses, and day refresh , likely is to keep things equal , relatively speaking for all players. Hence the if you want arena moved to here, outside of say working graveyard shifts , then you also have everything adjusted accordingly,

The payout changes being player controlled basically are only allowing you to pretend you installed in a different time zone , but the free energy, and day refresh is still the same as every other player for timing, That’s keeps it fair across the board in the simplest ways.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    By choosing a new payout are you put on a shard with the same payout?

No. this doesn't change anything about your shard, just the time of your individual reset, free energy, and POs.
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Bring your payout 4 hours earlier and play during lunch hour.

1) I don't take an hour lunch break. I could, but I am not interested in doing so.
    2) I don't have a fixed lunch break time. Most days it is the same time, but when things are going crazy at work its not.

Understand, the PO change they are making as stated is better than the current state of affairs. I'm just pointing out a means for them to go a step beyond that. Are you (or anyone else in this thread) opposed to those extra options? If so, I'd be interested in the argument why.
  • It seems the way the system works now, when you start playing it looks at your local time zone, and then sets key points at 12/6/12/6/7/7:30/9 local time.

The proposed QoL lets you essentially change your timezone, which then redefines when those key points are relative to your actual time zone. You see it as changing your payout - but if you move your payout from 6 local up to 2 local, then the system basically just adjusts your in game timezone 4 hours forward. This shifts everything with it and is a relatively easy change.

Uncoupling all those key points (store refreshes, free energy, event timers, daily resets, payouts) is WAY more involved and something they're a lot less inclined to do.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • By having the skeleton of it be the same, I think also another reason beyond unfair advantages is keeping interest. This way of going about it may be difficult for some players, but not the majority (to the detriment of those it does effect. Sorry), and so I think it’s used so players don’t play for a few minutes, finish everything, and not touch it again for almost twenty four hours. Any games I’ve played where I just play for a bit and then don’t touch it lose my interest. Continually opening this game has helped that a bit. May be a minor reason, but I don’t think it didn’t get factored in.
  • I'm not quite sure why you aren't allowed to choose your payout time from the beginning. I have a google and guest account, one on east coast and the other on west coast time. Not sure why, but by the time you realize they are synced wrong it's too late to do anything about it. It would be nice if they split the timers, but just being able to choose your own schedule will be helpful.

No. this doesn't change anything about your shard, just the time of your individual reset, free energy, and POs.

Talk about driving the server nuts.. pay 90% at normal reset, 1% at... 2% at... lol

Talk about driving the server nuts.. pay 90% at normal reset, 1% at... 2% at... lol

What?

Shards are set up by when you join your payout. Reset time doesn't matter at all towards your shard.
  • Fanatic
    415 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Krynn007 wrote: »
    Man, all you guys go on about is what "you" want and revolving around dinner time.
    First of all, it's probably not so easy. Everyone requesting specific times all over the world, sounds like a nightmare.

You do realize that that you have 2 hours I believe to collect your bonus energy, and many hours until shipments changes again.
    You can basically grab and spend your energy, and quickly browse shipments, grab whatever in the amount of time it takes to have a smoke, or a crap.

Well luckily it is what it is. Personally I'm not a fan. I do understand people move across the globe, so that's why it's probably taking place, and I accept that
    Just be happy with a new option
    Stop being one of those people who have to complain about something that could have not been givin at all.
    "Oh hey, great! love this option you've now givin us, but, oh wait, I need you to change this because this doesn't fit my schedule, thanks"
    CG wrote:
    The single most common quality of life request we’ve heard in recent months is to allow player-controlled payout/time zone changes.
    Like the server sharding system, this was a feature that worked for a time, but we recognize you live all over the world, lead complicated lives, and that the forced ‘6PM in the time zone you originally logged in on’ has been a great inconvenience for many of you.

Given that CG is making the ability to change PO times because it doesn't fit everyones schedule, I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to be snarky about this. This change is being made precisely because CG wants to be more accommodating to peoples schedules.

My original post was not a complaint. If you read it that way then: take a step back, take a deep breath, and read it again with the idea in mind that a sincere player wants to make a suggestion to improve further on what is already a decent addition being added to the game. I'm not "angry" they are implementing the ability to change PO times. I'd just like greater flexibility with it - that's not a complaint. Two hours to collect is plenty of time, except when I'm asleep, which would be the case if my energy boosts came in at 1 AM. If they were to separate the energy boost times from the arena PO times I could keep energy boost times as is, since as you mention, 2 hours is plenty of time. But shift my arena to work around my, as CG puts it, "complicated [life]". If they don't make this additional change I'm suggesting, that's fine, I'll deal with it. I've already dealt with it for the past 3 years of playing.

To those talking about the difficulty of implementing the change... I find it a rather silly argument. If CG comes and tells us "We looked at this, and decided the change is too difficult to make", fine, whatever. But honestly, as a software engineer who has worked on mobile games, if the change took a client engineer more than a couple of days to implement, and a server engineer more than a week, I'd really have to wonder about the state of that particular piece of code. If it's that difficult to change, that part of the code probably needs to be rewritten anyway. Whether ~8 days of engineering time is worth it to CG or not is a question for them to answer, not a reason for "us" to use to shut down ideas. If you really want round it up to 10 days for 2 days of QA as well (though a lot on these boards think CG doesn't even employ a QA team, so not sure why we would do that...)
  • I wasnt under the impression they were tied together.... I might have missed something....,but I certainly hope they aren't tied.
  • When you start the thread with the title “Getting it RIGHT”, we can only infer that the OP thinks it is somehow wrong and is complaining about it. If OP had titled it something like Suggestions to Improve, maybe he wouldn’t have gotten so many snarky remarks.
  • Needs to be checks to balance the customization of timeline payouts. Seems like you want all the benefit with none of the consequence when you adjust your timezone.

Someone shouldn't be able to schedule their payouts back to back. 5hey are spread like that to encourage players to play the game multiple times a day.

While its a nice idea, its not really beneficial to the company and can easily be taken advantage of.
  • Naraic wrote: »

Shards are set up by when you join your payout. Reset time doesn't matter at all towards your shard.

Hooray for crontabs lol (server admin humor)
    Krynn007 wrote: »
    Man, all you guys go on about is what "you" want and revolving around dinner time.
    First of all, it's probably not so easy. Everyone requesting specific times all over the world, sounds like a nightmare.

You do realize that that you have 2 hours I believe to collect your bonus energy, and many hours until shipments changes again.
    You can basically grab and spend your energy, and quickly browse shipments, grab whatever in the amount of time it takes to have a smoke, or a crap.

Well luckily it is what it is. Personally I'm not a fan. I do understand people move across the globe, so that's why it's probably taking place, and I accept that
    Just be happy with a new option
    Stop being one of those people who have to complain about something that could have not been givin at all.
    "Oh hey, great! love this option you've now givin us, but, oh wait, I need you to change this because this doesn't fit my schedule, thanks"
    CG wrote:
    The single most common quality of life request we’ve heard in recent months is to allow player-controlled payout/time zone changes.
    Like the server sharding system, this was a feature that worked for a time, but we recognize you live all over the world, lead complicated lives, and that the forced ‘6PM in the time zone you originally logged in on’ has been a great inconvenience for many of you.

Given that CG is making the ability to change PO times because it doesn't fit everyones schedule, I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to be snarky about this. This change is being made precisely because CG wants to be more accommodating to peoples schedules.

My original post was not a complaint. If you read it that way then: take a step back, take a deep breath, and read it again with the idea in mind that a sincere player wants to make a suggestion to improve further on what is already a decent addition being added to the game. I'm not "angry" they are implementing the ability to change PO times. I'd just like greater flexibility with it - that's not a complaint. Two hours to collect is plenty of time, except when I'm asleep, which would be the case if my energy boosts came in at 1 AM. If they were to separate the energy boost times from the arena PO times I could keep energy boost times as is, since as you mention, 2 hours is plenty of time. But shift my arena to work around my, as CG puts it, "complicated [life]". If they don't make this additional change I'm suggesting, that's fine, I'll deal with it. I've already dealt with it for the past 3 years of playing.

To those talking about the difficulty of implementing the change... I find it a rather silly argument. If CG comes and tells us "We looked at this, and decided the change is too difficult to make", fine, whatever. But honestly, as a software engineer who has worked on mobile games, if the change took a client engineer more than a couple of days to implement, and a server engineer more than a week, I'd really have to wonder about the state of that particular piece of code. If it's that difficult to change, that part of the code probably needs to be rewritten anyway. Whether ~8 days of engineering time is worth it to CG or not is a question for them to answer, not a reason for "us" to use to shut down ideas. If you really want round it up to 10 days for 2 days of QA as well (though a lot on these boards think CG doesn't even employ a QA team, so not sure why we would do that...)

Then let's just shut it down by arguing that it wouldn't be fair to be overly accomodating to people who change their timezones for arena specific purposes then.

Put it this way (assuming ur suggestion is implemented), if a couple of guys in ur shard wanted to single u out and contest ur payout because u aren't in the shard chat and theirs is too crowded, well now they can at no cost. If u're in an APAC timezone with relatively few contenders, suddenly u are faced with a bunch of strangers because changing timezone has absolutely no cost to them. Keep in mind that they clearly want this to be tied to your actual timezone +/- 1 or 2 hours.

Further, the code is likely written in a way which basically has everything tied to an internal clock that is fixed to a timezone. U are asking them to rewrite that part and have multiple clocks. No revenue generated, only additional man hours, and possibly higher opportunity cost since now u have free energy and crystals at the time u want.