Suggestion to create a steady income for the game: Subscriptions

So, I was thinking of a way to make the game more enjoyable AND allow for a steady income revenue for the devs. This would be a monthly subscription service. There could be multiple subscriptions offered, and they would each provide different benefits. They would target players who don't want the inconvenience of having to schedule their life around a game, but also still want to be able to progress in the game reasonably. There could be any number/types available, but I was specifically thinking of 3, all at a 10$/month value:

1. Marquee subscription. This would allow you to replay any marquee event (most noticeably ones that you missed), and provide a marquee store where you could purchase marque packs after they've been removed from the main store. You'd get 1 marquee credit per month, which could be used to purchase any marquee pack (multiple times). You could also buy packs you hadn't bought before for real cash.
2. Event subscription. This would allow you to play two Legendary/Heroic/Mythic events per week, after it becomes "legacy" (i.e. has shown up a second time to the events). The events would have charges, like bounties, and they would refresh on a weekly basis. One charge would be consumed per tier, so if you completed tier 4 one week, you'd only be able to climb up to tier 6 the next, and so on. Mythics would be available, so this would have value even for people who've completed all the events. This would allow people to farm on their own schedule, and have access to events once they've farmed to appropriate toons (while still requiring the "panic farm" for new events, since they wouldn't be immediately available).
3. Energy subscription. This would be the biggest one with regards to convenience. It would basically replace all your daily energy refreshes with one free "recharge" per type, that fully restored all associated energy. This would appeal to people who don't want to have to manage their daily schedule to avoid missing all their energy refreshes, with a little extra on the side.

There could obviously be any number of subscriptions available, these are just some ideas that I think would have pretty good mass appeal and be a win-win for the players and the devs, and the game as a whole, which, let's be honest, NEEDS to be funded to be good.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    They removed the closest thing we had to a subscription. From what we were told they cannot have things like a subscription due to some partner agreements they have.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    They removed the closest thing we had to a subscription. From what we were told they cannot have things like a subscription due to some partner agreements they have.

That’s pure speculation. We don’t know what the contracts at issue prohibit. They were interpreted to prohibit the monthly crystal booster, which is kinda similar to OP’s third suggestion, if you squint, I guess. To jump from that to the conclusion that any subscription-based arrangement would be prohibited is totally unwarranted.

I’d definitely be interested in something like the first two suggestions. The third suggestion, combined with the ability to alter our arena payouts, would also fix a lot of the complaints I’ve seen about the implementation of the upcoming ability to swap time zones.

I will guess though that if anything like this we’re implemented, the price would be more than $10/month for each plan.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Options
    I would stop playing as would ever other person that is f2p which is fine since we don't pay anyway I guess. But then all the whales would actually have to farm or they could make it a subscription and still monitize if you aren't a whale your paying to still get your butt kicked by sometime who can out spend you. I may not endorse the system outright but I completely understand they need to make a living and that without whales I'd be out a game to play.