New matching making algorithm proposal

This might be over simplified but whatever "complicated system" that's in place seems to suck.

Guilds would be matched via 3 criteria:

Total gp of g10+ characters would be the primary matching system.

Secondary would be total gp of characters between g6 and g9.

The final numbers that would be taken into account would be the number of g8+ legendary or greater characters.

Two guilds would be matched if they are similar in all 3 of those categories. If a guild cannot be found that is close to all 3 it will match based on 2 of those 3 categories, with the primary being a must (if the guild does not have characters that would qualify under the primary matching system then the secondary would become the primary). If a guild cannot be matched based on 2 of the 3 stats it will be matched based solely on the primary.

If two guilds can't be matched on any of the criteria then the guild on the lower end would receive a disadvantaged reward payout at the end of the tw. They receive a + reward box for each area they can defend to the end plus 1 extra zeta mat.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Intrapidoo wrote: »
    You overcomplicate it. They need to take out the join button and have every member join automatically. That would solve 90% of the problems.

please no. Some of us like to not have out guild be punished when we have RL things to do.
  • Intrapidoo wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    You overcomplicate it. They need to take out the join button and have every member join automatically. That would solve 90% of the problems.

please no. Some of us like to not have out guild be punished when we have RL things to do.

Thats the lie of cheaters. Most guilds above a certain guild gp are require you to join tw and actively participate.

100% agree

Thats the lie of cheaters. Most guilds above a certain guild gp are require you to join tw and actively participate.

That’s twice you’ve claimed this. Your additional statement that anyone who claims to have RL things to do is lying is pretty special.

That’s twice you’ve claimed this. Your additional statement that anyone who claims to have RL things to do is lying is pretty special.

Okay try the same thing with territory battles. Have people join instead of automatically have them in.

I’d be happy to do that.

It’s not the same thing though, as your suggested auto signup system for TW means your guild are pitted against a higher GP opponent, even if 2 or 3 guild mates won’t be able to participate. That’s not the case in TB.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Okay try the same thing with territory battles. Have people join instead of automatically have them in.

In TB all battles are open for 24 hours. In TW, certain counter teams are needed in an area at a certain period of time, or you hold up the whole thing. Not everyone can sit down and do all the battles in TW in an hour before going to bed, like TW.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Or the truth from people who have kids and real life things happening outside of their control.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I’d be happy to do that.

It’s not the same thing though, as your suggested auto signup system for TW means your guild are pitted against a higher GP opponent, even if 2 or 3 guild mates won’t be able to participate. That’s not the case in TB.

Auto singup for TW means you cant sandbag and the matchmaking system does what its supposed to do from the get go. What you are saying is, we have a bunch of fake reasons why we make ppl skip tw in order to go against a much weaker guild so we can win.

Ohh and its not the same?3 inactive ppl in TB means roughly 30million points less overall, but not the same?

Or they could just have a matchmaking system that actually uses relevant data like how many g12 toons each has, or key toons like revan and treya.

Matching based on GP is skewed and will never work. 2 guilds could be with a decent range of each other and have 30v2 of each of those 2 characters and it's almost impossible to clear a proper setup of those toons in that case.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno or none of the above and you tell your guild a simple "guys im setting defense only" takes what roughly 5minutes to do. Always excuses.

Surprisingly when I had a death in my family, I wasnt really going out of my way to be in game. Even for 5 minutes.
  • Well, I'd offer that while it could be based on the GP of how many sign-up, there should still be a min/max amount of GP for your guild once you are at a certain GP level. My guild regularly faces guilds with total 15, 20, 25, 35 Mil GP.

And you have an example in another thread of a guild facing another guild with 54 million GP MORE than them. That means your system is broken. You're basically tossing a 10 year old into the octagon with a 25 year old and saying, "fair fight, 25 year old only has one arm."

GP isn't everything, but you've created a system that weights GP too much in a match up. There really needs to be more stringent limits on TW matches than what's currently being used.

I’d be happy to do that.

Auto singup for TW means you cant sandbag and the matchmaking system does what its supposed to do from the get go. What you are saying is, we have a bunch of fake reasons why we make ppl skip tw in order to go against a much weaker guild so we can win.

Ohh and its not the same?3 inactive ppl in TB means roughly 30million points less overall, but not the same?

No, you are saying there are fake reasons. People do have work, go on vacation, suffer a death in the family, get married etc. These things are all perfectly good reasons why people might not be able to contribute to a TW.

If your guild do TB properly it is highly unlikely that 3 people missing a phase will cost you a star. Sure, it would do on a marginal phase, but most phases are not marginal to that extent.

Look - I get it - your guild has been on the end of some unfair matchups, and there does seem to be an issue with the matchmaking algorithm where a guild doesn’t have all members signing up.

I’m not defending the matchmaking algorithm. It is obviously broken and needs repaired. But what you’re suggesting is flawed. I think it would be better if suggested improvements weren’t flawed.

• But that’s the point. If people merely register and set a defence, then don’t attack at all, they are disadvantaging their guild. Some top level guilds have clear rules that if you’re not going to be able to attack then you don’t join. No space for freeloaders.

And how on earth can you possibly claim that all 30+ of your defeats have been caused by the opponents intentionally leaving people out? There are plenty of examples (in the thread you’ve advised others not to contribute to) that show a massive GP mismatch when both guilds were fully signed up. The algorithm sucks - it is perfectly capable of producing a mismatch without the signup trick.

You are entitled to be bitter and angry about the failings of the matchmaking algorithm. But I don’t think you’re entitled to just spuriously make things up about why you’ve lost TWs.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    It's not players fault that CG came up with a so easily exploitable system. I think the discussion from this angle is all but in vain.
    But that’s the point. If people merely register and set a defence, then don’t attack at all, they are disadvantaging their guild. Some top level guilds have clear rules that if you’re not going to be able to attack then you don’t join. No space for freeloaders.

And how on earth can you possibly claim that all 30+ of your defeats have been caused by the opponents intentionally leaving people out? There are plenty of examples (in the thread you’ve advised others not to contribute to) that show a massive GP mismatch when both guilds were fully signed up. The algorithm sucks - it is perfectly capable of producing a mismatch without the signup trick.

You are entitled to be bitter and angry about the failings of the matchmaking algorithm. But I don’t think you’re entitled to just spuriously make things up about why you’ve lost TWs.

Than answer me this, im in a 127million guild and our average opponents are 150m+ gp. We fill with 23-24 squads always. The whole system from the moment you join until the end is screwed up. The matchmaking algorythm sucks okay i understand but when you have holes that are exploitable and basically give you instant wins thats irritating. I would welcome anything that improves the system, but CG does nothing, thats why after every single tw start there are multiple reports of screwed up matchmaking and CG responds to none of them.

We have a fairly decent record and we regularly face guilds that have 15-25 mil GP more than us. (Our current two both had 20 mil GP on us) If you've actually lost 30+ out of the 50? TW's we've had then it might be you need to work on your strategy. See if you can join an alliance where they can help you with your offense and defense layout to better balance? There are a bunch of different setups and there are ways to create a winning strategy so you can be successful.
    But that’s the point. If people merely register and set a defence, then don’t attack at all, they are disadvantaging their guild. Some top level guilds have clear rules that if you’re not going to be able to attack then you don’t join. No space for freeloaders.

Than answer me this, im in a 127million guild and our average opponents are 150m+ gp. We fill with 23-24 squads always. The whole system from the moment you join until the end is screwed up. The matchmaking algorythm sucks okay i understand but when you have holes that are exploitable and basically give you instant wins thats irritating. I would welcome anything that improves the system, but CG does nothing, thats why after every single tw start there are multiple reports of screwed up matchmaking and CG responds to none of them.

The algorithm sure does suck. They’ve acknowledged there’s a problem but they do seem to be incredibly slow to do anything about it. And I guess I see your point re: why bother posting in that thread anymore. Surely they’ve got enough “evidence” to help them repair it already?!

My take on it is this:

They devised an algorithm that matched guilds on a couple of factors, like total GP of signed up players, whether or not they had certain squads that were prominent at the time etc.

But the flaws include:
    - massively overstating the GP lost by some people not signing up (hence why 2-3 people missing out from a 150M+ guild seems to get them matched to 120M+ guilds)
    - an aversion to rematches, where very few guilds have faced any guild more than once, which means guilds are being pitted against “fresh” opponents that are not a fair matchup.
    - A failure to adapt to new “meta” squads like traya, revan, bossk (which is completely evident by matchups where 1 guild has a handful of these toons and the opponents have 40+ of them)

When (if?) they fix it they need to make it adaptive to new squads and base it more on average GP signed up rather than total. And I’d far rather face the same 3 or 4 guilds every time if the match is even, than face new guilds who are way above or below us.

I've been in a few guilds over 150M GP and this hasn't been my experience.