Looking for the best approach to beating this arena speed team

SlyGambit
1246 posts Member
edited March 2016
Having trouble beating a team. Normally I can get a team that can win ~2/3 of the time on attack and base my teams more on defense. I can't take this one down at all and I can't figure out why. They are all maxed except a 6* Yoda (but still near maxed skills).

QGJ(l), Yoda, Dooku, Sid, Luminara

I typically run a modified droid team. Sid/IG-86/IG-88/Poggle/GS and used to use Poe in place of IG-88 before Poe got nerfed.

I have the following arena capable toons maxed:

Sid, Lumi, IG-86, IG-88, Poggle

These are my six star max level/max gear that are arena capable:

GS, Eeth, Tusken Raider, QuiGon, Bariss, Dathcha, JC, Poe

I don't really consider anyone else capable of getting into the Arena. GS and TR will be maxed in a couple more days and Yoda will pick up his 6th star making him at least eligible. I actually think maxing GS may make a difference as more often than not I'm leaving Dooku/QGJ/Yoda with just a sliver of health after an assist attack. Just another 500 damage would probably wipe them.

Anyway anyone with an approach to taking out that team I'd appreciate feedback. Not just what comp you'd use but how you would attack them on offense. I think I'm just approaching it wrong but after ~10 battles I'm now wondering if I just can't beat that comp w/o different toons. My best approach has been Sid, GS, Poggle, IG-86, QGJ but it is at best 25% chance of winning. I focus down QGJ, then Yoda, then Sid, then Lumi, then Dooku.
Post edited by SlyGambit on

Replies

• Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Run This;
    Sid leader
    Lumi
    Poggle
    QGJ
    GS

Kill in this order
    Yoda
    QGJ
    Sid
    Lumi
    Dooku

....however...once poggle buffs, take out dooku with GS special the 2ND time you use his special assist. This way you 1 shot him so none of that counter ****. So truely dooku isn't last just in terms of priority.
    You can diverge from killing dooku with GS buff special if another toon is about to go and you can take them out. With that lineup you should beat that team 100% of the time as its way faster than your usual line up
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    You will essentially be playing GS and poggle vs yoda and dooku since rest of your toons are equal. Considering AI is garbage you should destroy them....also always use sids aoe to start
  • Options
    Poggle lead
    GS
    Sid
    QGJ

Poggle adds 25% offense to 86 and GS, and himself

GS will 1 hit any of those against you this way, before the Offense up. Poggle buffs. 86 1 hits any of them. You have QGJ to use Harmonous buffed right after Poggle goes.

I ran that team I suggested just all Maxed and Dooku not Sid and I destroyed the team you mentioned above every time. I sit top 5 typically, 1st often on a late Nov Shard.
  • sc7606
    97 posts Member
    Options
    Your problem is straight up speed. 3 of their characters go before yours then its a coin flip whose sid goes. So they have potentially 3-4 moves before you have 1. Thats enough to take out 1-2 characters and make your battle difficult to say the least. Thats not even counting any dooku stuns.

There is a reason why high speed characters are the meta right now.

Royal guard could be awesome for you against that line up, but doesn't seem to be in your roster (I'm told even a 4* RG can work wonders although I've not confirmed that). If their first hit doesn't kill one of your toons, RG should taunt allowing you to have 4 damage dealers to go, then sid dot, GS burst (QGJ or Yoda) poggle buff, ig 88 aoe and the game should be yours.

The risk here is that Yoda goes, RG taunts, QGJ removes taunt and give Offense up, sid bursts. All before you've moved.

I'm not sure Phipps or Shawn's suggestions would work.

Here is how I see them playing out

Their team:--> Yoda Dooku QGJ Sid ................ Luminara
    Your team :--> ................................ Sid Poggle

By this point your team is probably dead or nearly dead unless you are really lucky and yoda, dooku and QGJ target different people and you dodge a couple, don't get stunned etc

Having a maxed GS would help, but still wouldn't stop 3/4 of them going before you, but would at least mean you got a couple of attacks in. He is also more tanky than some of your other characters so may help you out.

You may have to join the speed meta.

QGJ (lead), sid, GS are a pretty solid core. Having Phasma and RG could then make it work. I'd predict the fight goes something like this (I've not worked out exact speed calcs but it looks right)

Their team:--> Yoda (UF) Dooku ............... QGJ Sid ......... Luminara ...................Yoda (MS)
    Your team: --> ...........................RG taunts QGJ Sid GS ................. Phasma(MO)............... QGJ Sid GS

QGJ - coin flip here - you need to take out QGJ if you win or hope he uses harmonious assault
    GS - finish QGJ with normal if he isn't dead, yoda with assist if he is

At which point you can press auto.

• Wibble
    78 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There are a couple of teams in my top twenty like this. They don't tend to give me any troubles and I have Poggle (L), IG-86, GS, Dooku, ANOther. With this many Jedi, I field Sid in the ANOther slot, so really the only difference is Poggle as lead (definitely agree with this suggestion) and Dooku, who is golden against Jedi. It seems like Dooku's the difference (start farming!).

I'd say your best bet is to use Poe instead of Dooku and rely on having so many damage dealers that the AI can't kill them all by the time you taunt. Jedi against Dooku tend to invite the 90% stun.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    Options
    sc7606 wrote: »
    You may have to join the speed meta.

Which is ironic because I'm basically a pioneer of the speed meta. :)

I do really want to use RG but only have him at 3* level 40. I'm going to start working him towards 4*70 max but really don't feel he's viable until 5* (I am very tempted to run him with an all assist team of QGJ/GS/86/TR/RG to maximize stuns).

I played around a little more last night and settled in at Sid/QGJ/GS/86/Poggle. Surprisingly it worked 2x in a row. The AI doesn't focus QGJ as much as it focus' 88 even though they have nearly the same effect on a match and similar health so I was able to get through one match with all 5 of my guys on Sid's turn and then the second round they focus'd IG-86 out but still enabled me to fight with 4. I have to look at why QGJ not in lead works over 88. He is slower than the 5 toons I'm facing so he isn't getting in any faster than 86. Also I feel like Poggle and QGJ are a bit redundant but the GS/Poggle assist is the only way to get a one-shot on QGJ/Yoda/Dooku first round.

This still breaks consistently if Dooku gets a stun on GS and I lose another toon (or if GS calls a stunned toon for the assist) but I'm running 2/2 for now against the team in question and also won 1st spot against a better (imho) team of QGJ/Anakin/Dooku/Rey/GS. Might have just been a nice bit of RNG but I'll keep running it.

I may try Poggle lead as well but I've found that I don't get enough crits with Sid out of the lineup and the '22.5% Offense' seems to produce very similar damage to Sid's 20% crit damage boost. I'm also working on HRS and with his speed he may help out in these battles. I still don't know if his base damage is strong enough to warrant replacing 88 or QGJ.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Poggle lead
    GS
    Sid
    QGJ

GS will 1 hit any of those against you this way, before the Offense up. Poggle buffs. 86 1 hits any of them. You have QGJ to use Harmonous buffed right after Poggle goes.

I ran that team I suggested just all Maxed and Dooku not Sid and I destroyed the team you mentioned above every time. I sit top 5 typically, 1st often on a late Nov Shard.

Great advice. Too bad everyone is just gonna say, "join the speed meta" and disregard it
  • Plasmaj
    297 posts Member
    Options
    Poggle lead
    GS
    Sid
    QGJ

I run the same team (Poggle-L, GS, 86, Dooku and QGJ). I manage to hit #1, but have been falling back into the #12-#24 range overnight. It may be because my QGJ, Dooku and Poggle are 6* (Poggle and QGJ will be 7* soon).
    I am considering replacing Poggle with my (soon to be) 5* Rey and running QGJ as lead. The hope would be either QGJ or GS can call Rey to assist to proc her foresight.